Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

BizarroAzrael posted:

Had some sucky matches against Whip and Control decks, don't know if I can fix them, so some middling results. Played midrange at a PPTQ, which has given me things to think about, and I plan to try warriors once FTR is out. So sticking with the clan, trying to figure out the best build.

You and me must be lost twins, I'm ditching mardu walkers for warriors as well. Last FNM I went 2-2-1, sunday after that I went 3-1-1 into top 8 then promptly lost to abzan midrange. The deck is fun but unless you get rolling with walkers amd nobody kills them, the other t1 decks in the format just topdeck better lategame. Nothing from FRF seems to help the deck either. Already traded off my elspeths for modern/legacy cards before they drop next month when the duel deck hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

technolizard
May 19, 2013

Molybdenum posted:

:siren:mass hysteria:siren:

Fun fact, if you play Mass Hysteria turn one, your opponent playing Jeskai Ascendancy combo can kill you possibly turn 1 and most certainly turn 2 when they drop a hand full of mana dorks and an ascendancy. Good thing I was just testing!

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Quick first draft of the Aristocrats deck:

//Creatures
2 Avalanche Riders
4 Champion of the Parish
4 Falkenrath Aristocrat
4 Alesha, Who Smiles at Death
2 Fiend Hunter
4 Bloodsoaked Champion
3 Blood Artist
4 Cartel Aristocrat
3 Dark Confidant

//Spells
2 Liliana of the Veil
2 Boros Charm
4 Lightning Bolt

//Land
4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Marsh Flats
4 Godless Shrine
3 Sacred Foundry
4 Blood Crypt
1 Plains
1 Mountain
1 Swamp

//Maybeboard
Doomed Traveler
Lingering Souls
Falkenrath Noble
Blood Moon
Golgari Thug
Mass Hysteria
Blind Obedience
Darkblast
Bloodghast
Viscera Seer
Gods Willing
Blade of the Bloodchief
Spirit Bonds
Teysa, Orzhov Scion
Strionic Resonator

Not built many modern manabases from scratch so this might need work. I trimmed down some numbers, since the idea is I only need one Riders or Fiend Hunter in the bin, and went to 4 of Alesha since she's central to the idea. I think I need to protect Falkenrath from exile. I mean, she can send herself to the graveyard but she does me no good from there, unless I take Golgari Thug, which has the drawback of not letting me opt-out of putting a creature on top of my library. A quick bit of goldfishing suggests Champion of the Parish can get fat fast.

Will consider Mass Hysteria, seems like it could be amazing or awful. Prompted me to also consider Blind Obedience. Bloodghast might be good enough to disregard his lack of human typing.

If I keep the Blood Artist effect, it might be worth considering Falkenrath Noble, a 2/2 body with flying which might be a better fetch on Alesha's trigger. You can bring back Artist too, but he's much easier to deal with before becoming a problem.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

I'm thinking about a modern aristocrats deck and I'd suggest not getting too cute with mass hysteria or falkenrath noble. I don't have confidants so I might just put kor firewalkers in there.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
mass hysteria was a joke, don't do it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

TheLawinator posted:

I'm thinking about a modern aristocrats deck and I'd suggest not getting too cute with mass hysteria or falkenrath noble. I don't have confidants so I might just put kor firewalkers in there.

Mass Hysteria I was skeptical about, what's wrong with Aristocrat? She gives the deck some power and can get better value from it that other sac outlets..

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Mass Hysteria I was skeptical about, what's wrong with Aristocrat? She gives the deck some power and can get better value from it that other sac outlets..

Falkenrath Aristocrat owns, Falkenrath Noble is a 4 mana 2/2 flyer that is garbage. Paying 2 extra mana for a blood artist is not where you want to be since it isn't really any more survivable, bringing it back with Alesha is too narrow for the cost of playing 4 mana inefficient cards.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Should I make any effort to protect Aristocrat from exile effects, say Gods Willing, or just accept she'll get pathed(or forced to sac herself)? And am I dependant on her and Alesha enough I should look at a reanimator spell I can use on them?

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Should I make any effort to protect Aristocrat from exile effects, say Gods Willing, or just accept she'll get pathed(or forced to sac herself)? And am I dependant on her and Alesha enough I should look at a reanimator spell I can use on them?

Nah, if they kill things that's fine. Just have removal or disruption enough that if you don't have either of those you can still kill.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

TheLawinator posted:

Nah, if they kill things that's fine. Just have removal or disruption enough that if you don't have either of those you can still kill.

Bolt and Boros Charm should help a lot. 'Value' is there word here, at least I hope. Champion of the Parish could become a threat pretty quick, and Bloodsoaked Champion and general mechanics of the deck mean there's plenty they might want to exile.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Bolt and Boros Charm should help a lot. 'Value' is there word here, at least I hope. Champion of the Parish could become a threat pretty quick, and Bloodsoaked Champion and general mechanics of the deck mean there's plenty they might want to exile.

I'd probably run Helix over Charm in the main, have charm in the sideboard against sweepers.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

TheLawinator posted:

I'd probably run Helix over Charm in the main, have charm in the sideboard against sweepers.

That's true, Charm improves a bunch of matchups but Helix is seldom bad. Might go up to 3-4 if I can chose some cuts. I think I want Liliana ar 3-4 too, one angle the deck can go is to cripple the opponent by cheaply stipping away their land , Liliana helps by preventing them holding anything and closing things out, and her discard enables the Alesha exploit without needing to hardcast stuff like Riders.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Another dumb standard deck idea. Convoking lots of artifacts with Hordeling Outburst. It is the same kind of gimmick people wanted to do with Generator Servant, but with less value lost. Stubborn Denial does an amazing job of protecting your Ensoul'd artifacts, and any two-for-ones are mitigated by the presence of Treasure Cruise. Hammer is basically free, can sac lands to get more guys and more Cruise value when needed, and Hastes your big Ensoul'd guys.

And hasty turn 4 Scuttling Doom that doesn't require you to lose board value is loving scary.

3 Bloodstained Mire
4 Darksteel Citadel
4 Island
5 Mountain
4 Shivan Reef
4 Temple of Epiphany

4 Chief Engineer
4 Ensoul Artifact
2 Ghostfire Blade
3 Hammer of Purphoros
4 Hordeling Outburst
3 Phyrexian Revoker
4 Scuttling Doom Engine

1 Shrapnel Blast
4 Stoke the Flames
4 Stubborn Denial
3 Treasure Cruise

Cards I am looking at from Fate: Ugin's Construct, Stone Retainers, and Temur Battle Rage.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 12, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just getting back into MTG (technically, MTGO) after a few years off, and have been loving around with the following decks:

UG "let me try to beat you by making you run out of cards" standard deck

2x Forest
2x Island
4x Frontier Bivouac
2x Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
4x Opulent Palace
4x Temple of Mystery
4x Thornwood Falls
2x Sedge Scorpion
2x Jeskai Elder
2x Omenspeaker
3x Back to Nature
3x Sylvan Caryatid
2x Kiora's Follower
2x Thassa, God of the Sea
2x Dictate of Kruphix
4x Dissolve
3x Villainous Wealth
2x Thassa's Emissary
3x Horizon Chimera
2x Jace's Ingenuity
2x Sphinx's Disciple
3x Kruphix, God of Horizons
3x Prophet of Kruphix

Deck basically relies on using Kruphix to store up mana to cast Villainous Wealth, but there's enough other crap to get me through the day otherwise.

WG "let me poo poo out counters"

4x Blossoming Sands
5x Forest
2x Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
5x Plains
4x Sandsteppe Citadel
3x Ajani's Presence
3x Elvish Mystic
3x Sedge Scorpion
3x Feat of Resistance
4x Phalanx Leader
2x Back to Nature
3x Sylvan Caryatid
4x Fleecemane Lion
2x Abzan Falconer
3x Devouring Light
2x Bow of Nylea
2x Reap What Is Sown
2x Abzan Battle Priest
1x Ajani, Mentor of Heroes
1x Karametra, God of Harvests
2x Mistcutter Hydra (could swap for Genesis Hydra?)

WBG "let me poo poo out counters and then kill you with them"

4x Blossoming Sands
2x Forest
4x Jungle Hollow
2x Plains
4x Sandsteppe Citadel
4x Scoured Barrens
2x Disowned Ancestor
2x Retribution of the Ancients
2x Hardened Scales
3x Sylvan Caryatid
4x Fleecemane Lion
2x Abzan Falconer
2x Devouring Light
2x Read the Bones
2x Tuskguard Captain
2x Bow of Nylea
2x Abzan Ascendancy
2x Abzan Charm
2x Reap What Is Sown
2x High Sentinels of Arashin
2x Whip of Erebos
2x Utter End
2x Ivorytusk Fortress
1x Ajani, Mentor of Heroes
2x Mistcutter Hydra (same)

YoshiStomper
May 13, 2011

The reject.
A few weeks ago people were posting their Mardu Midrange and Mardu Walkers deck. Any recent changes? I kinda wanna run that on Friday before prerelease.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

YoshiStomper posted:

A few weeks ago people were posting their Mardu Midrange and Mardu Walkers deck. Any recent changes? I kinda wanna run that on Friday before prerelease.

I will need to do some sideboard wonking. Out of all the planeswalkers in the deck, I think Sarkhan is actually the weakest. I may go 1 of with him and use 2 Liliana. Maybe put Mardu Charm in the sideboard for certain decks.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Note for my Mardu Modern deck: Spellskite probably makes the 75, maybe even the main.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

GoutPatrol posted:

I will need to do some sideboard wonking. Out of all the planeswalkers in the deck, I think Sarkhan is actually the weakest. I may go 1 of with him and use 2 Liliana. Maybe put Mardu Charm in the sideboard for certain decks.

Actually I would say Liliana is the weakest, she's certainly the one I board out the most. She's great in a lot of games but bad in others, Sarkhan offers a level of consistency that Liliana doesn't. If you add any other walkers I'd advise adding a third Chandra.

The deck really didn't get much of anything from the new set and I don't think it's positioned well. It was fun while it lasted and some days got me some great results, but wasn't consistent enough. Struggles with the fast aggro/tokens decks, and the abzan decks are packing enough removal to deal with most of the walkers, eventually leading to topdeck games that they ultimately win.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

Note for my Mardu Modern deck: Spellskite probably makes the 75, maybe even the main.

Also Thalia, how did I forget her? I quite like how so many key cards here depict women. Mardu Matriarchy?

Is Duegar Hedge-mage good here for working with Alesha, or should I just use the normal artifact hate like Kataki?

Silverblade Paladin? Double strike doesn't seem big in modern but it could have an impact.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Also Thalia, how did I forget her? I quite like how so many key cards here depict women. Mardu Matriarchy?

Is Duegar Hedge-mage good here for working with Alesha, or should I just use the normal artifact hate like Kataki?

Silverblade Paladin? Double strike doesn't seem big in modern but it could have an impact.

Hmm.. Thalia might not even be a bad idea. Kataki is the best artifact hate stapled onto a dude.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
Speaking of new set... What changes are people considering making to mardu king? Do I have to go get 4 mythic young pyromancers?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
mono-white standard 5-turn killy themed deck (mostly human soldiers):

23x Plains
3x Ajani's Presence
2x Akroan Skyguard
2x Cavalry Pegasus
2x Divine Favor
4x Feat of Resistance
1x God-Favored General
2x Raise the Alarm
3x Phalanx Leader
1x Hall of Triumph
1x Staff of the Sun Magus
1x Preeminent Captain
1x Archetype of Courage
2x Eidolon of Countless Battles
1x Spear of Heliod
1x Ajani Steadfast
2x Heliod, God of the Sun
1x High Sentinels of Arashin
2x Paragon of New Dawns
2x Dawnbringer Charioteers
1x Dictate of Heliod
1x Obelisk of Urd
1x Evangel of Heliod

A whole bunch of cheap poo poo that snowballs quickly thanks to a combination of a) quickly building counters, b) tossing out a mess of token creatures, and c) +1/+1 to all; white bonuses left and right (and a +2/+2 to either "human" or "soldier" depending on what's on the field)

I'd love to toss a Brimaz, Soul of Theros, or Wingmate Roc in, but :10bux:

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 14, 2015

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Do not play Staff of the Sun Magus or Divine Favor. Just don't do it.

Outside of that, the numbers on that deck seem really, really wonky. Whenever I see a deck(especially an aggressive deck), with a bunch of 1x, 2x, and 3x I'm inclined to think you should be cutting a bunch of cards and changing others to 4x for increased consistency.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!

Meatbag Esq. posted:

Speaking of new set... What changes are people considering making to mardu king? Do I have to go get 4 mythic young pyromancers?

I have not. This is the first draft I'm planning to try out - http://deckstats.net/decks/3693/180930-marduking-frf

Basically trimming and streamlining to focus on the tokens a bit more to also help with Collateral Damage. That's probably the weakest card at first glance, but it has potential and I'm determined to find out. Brutal Hordechief and Sorin combine to give 4 similar effects, with the Hordechief also giving a bonus if I get to untap. Maybe it still sucks, but it still feels *fun*.

Could I manage with 23 lands? If so, another Crackling Doom'd probably make it in. E: Also I'm terrible at manabases.

Frozen_flame fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jan 15, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Elyv posted:

Do not play Staff of the Sun Magus or Divine Favor. Just don't do it.

Outside of that, the numbers on that deck seem really, really wonky. Whenever I see a deck(especially an aggressive deck), with a bunch of 1x, 2x, and 3x I'm inclined to think you should be cutting a bunch of cards and changing others to 4x for increased consistency.

3 1x
14 2x
6 3x
8 4x

I'll try to find some others...

technolizard
May 19, 2013

You are playing mono white, but it appears that Gods Willing is missing from your list. Any particular reason why?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

technolizard posted:

You are playing mono white, but it appears that Gods Willing is missing from your list. Any particular reason why?

Space, was using Feat of Resistance for same effect

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

1 Mana is always better than 2 mana for similar effects. Always.

The +1/+1 counter isn't worth the extra mana.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

AlternateNu posted:

1 Mana is always better than 2 mana for similar effects. Always.

The +1/+1 counter isn't worth the extra mana.

It turns the 1/1 heroics to 3/3, but I'll give it a shot

Added in mass calcify for endgame board clearing

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

It turns the 1/1 heroics to 3/3, but I'll give it a shot

Added in mass calcify for endgame board clearing

(The current U/W heroic decks run both God's Willing and Feat of Resistance. But, if you only have room for 1, GW is far better.)

Here is a list of creatures Mass Calcify doesn't kill that you should worry about :
Siege Rhino
Wingmate Roc + token
Mantis Rider
Brimaz
Anafeza
Fleecemane Lion
Seeker of the Way
Elspeth tokens
Everything in any U/W Heroic deck.

technolizard
May 19, 2013

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

If you really want the counters, find something else to cut and run both. Gods Willing is too good not to run, IMO.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
-4 Plains, +4 Nykthos is the first upgrade I'd make.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Butcher of the Horde is also white. This is why I'd say Glare of Heresy is a pretty good sideboard option right now :v:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

TheLawinator posted:

Hmm.. Thalia might not even be a bad idea. Kataki is the best artifact hate stapled onto a dude.

How about Faithless Looting? Deck is built around getting things in the right pace and seems it could help get Riders and Fiend Hunter in the bin and Alesha in hand. Might slow me down too much is the thing.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Equilibrium posted:

d'oh

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Butcher of the Horde is also white. This is why I'd say Glare of Heresy is a pretty good sideboard option right now :v:

done

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Equilibrium posted:

4 Nykthos feels like you're courting a dead draw more often than not, and why would you even want a shitload of mana in that deck? I guess with Heliod it would be nice to pop out 2 clerics a turn instead of 1, but that looks to be about it.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
evolving wilds in a mono-color deck?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

evolving wilds in a mono-color deck?

Deck thinning, man.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Yawgmoth posted:

4 Nykthos feels like you're courting a dead draw more often than not, and why would you even want a shitload of mana in that deck? I guess with Heliod it would be nice to pop out 2 clerics a turn instead of 1, but that looks to be about it.

Heliod, High Sentinels and Mass Calcify as mana sinks. Mostly it's for the tempo of dropping two spells on one turn while your opponent's still stuck playing one. I'd always run at least 3 Nykthos, even games where you draw double Nykthos aren't that bad when you can float Nykthos mana and play another one as a pseudo-Dark Ritual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah, tap nykthos, play nykthos, tap second nykthos

i could strive ajani's presence over the whole battlefield

• Locked thread