Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

it has permadeath

ahhhhhhhh literal lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

Angry Diplomat posted:

Will we eventually be able to influence the fortunes of the various factions and change the balance of power, even in a relatively simple, abstract way? Because that sounds awesome. I'd love to decide I like a faction's style and help them gain strength and territory, or find out that a certain group is dealing slaves or whatever and just go around burning down their bases in a righteous rage like some kind of axe-swinging mutant Punisher.

Something like that, eventually. Right now, you have a reputation with every faction in the game, and faction members' base attitudes toward you are based on that rep. So if you manage to get your Snapjaw rep to neutral, Snapjaws will ignore you, and if you get it high enough, they'll assist you in fights.

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?

hand of luke posted:

Something like that, eventually. Right now, you have a reputation with every faction in the game, and faction members' base attitudes toward you are based on that rep. So if you manage to get your Snapjaw rep to neutral, Snapjaws will ignore you, and if you get it high enough, they'll assist you in fights.

By "right now," I mean in the patch we're working on -- not in the live version.

lurker1981
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Kavros posted:

ahhhhhhhh literal lol.

I've actually heard people say that sort of thing in real life: "I totally lolled when you said that." And they wouldn't actually laugh.

Back on topic, I'm tempted to try Nethack 4. I mean, I've got a pretty good idea of how most things work in 3.4.3, but 4 seems to be a little friendlier, in terms of not requiring me to do potentially deadly things in order to identify my items.

edit: Dungeonmans looks pretty cool, I might give that a try. I tried to politely inquire about Qud, but I'm being ignored, so gently caress it.

lurker1981 fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 12, 2015

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Myst is the least roguelike game.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Kavros posted:

Here's an odd question: what game or type of game could be considered the most conceptually NOT a roguelike EVER? I was thinking about this re: the OP and the twisty ways that game mechanics like to twist around each other made me unable to think it out.

World of Warcraft, or any MMO of its ilk (not UO though, as it has item loss on death). You have infinite retries, grind the same content instead of randomized content, and there's not much that they have in common at all.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

Kavros posted:

Here's an odd question: what game or type of game could be considered the most conceptually NOT a roguelike EVER? I was thinking about this re: the OP and the twisty ways that game mechanics like to twist around each other made me unable to think it out.

FarmVille and the like probably. There are no meaningful choices and there's not even a failure state.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm not sure the question makes sense, it's like saying 'which color is the most not blue'

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
So, I've been playing a bit of The Depths of Tolagal and Claustrophobia: The Downward Struggle lately. They came out on steam quite recently, and I'd gotten them both in some bundle or another, I think.

Claustrophobia is one of the prettiest roguelikes I've played, and the basics are there, but at the moment it's quite shallow in its current EA state. There are some very unbalanced skills, which you have to actively restrain yourself from using in order to keep challenged... except then the game become quite boring. There isn't much in the game apart from the combat as the loot is mostly about numerical advantages, so it doesn't require any more decision-making process than checking if this robe gives you more Int & Def than the previous one. And the combat is far from involving, too. The skills are generic cooldown based things (shield bash, poison, knockback...), and I've been too spoiled by ToME's insane toybox to care much about them. The floors are quite big, so I end up getting bored mashing 1-5-3-5-1-5-1-5-1-5 through almost any fight (yes, 5 is the special 'interact' button, so you have to use it to confirm every magic missile or whatever). It's still available in Indie Gala Every Monday Bundle 41 if you want to get in on the ground floor. The developer, who is just one college guy, just pushed through a big content update and doesn't seem to be abandoning the game, so it might turn out good.

The Depths of Tolagal has a forgettable name and looks butt-ugly, but is surprisingly engaging. It's almost more of a turn-based-combat-puzzle generator - like Hoplite with which it was rightly compare in RPS article - than a roguelike. The combat turns are divided in a small number of action points, so you can and should read the opponent's plans and position in a way that would allow you to avoid getting hit. With fast moving enemies it might mean trying to get as many hits in as possible (and maybe knocking them back or putting a shield up, or hiding behind a door), while battles with slow moving are more like war of attrition... unless you end up ambushed by some goblins on your way there.

Each enemy has a gimmick (trolls can charge at you if you're in a straight line, cultists are invisible, only leaving a trail of smoke behind them, others have shields that they can raise meaning you have to hack through them), so there are no popcorn enemies, and you have to be thinking in almost every battle - except the first couple of levels, which are hard to mess up after you've played through them a couple of times, which so far is one of two real criticisms I can sling at the game. The other one is the lack of variety. There are no classes, and so far I've come across a grand total of four different weapons, a shield and a ring of regeneration. Still, the game keeps it fresh by offering different attributes for the items that change the way you use them considerably. Also, there are no character stats and each new level comes with a choice of a passive skill that will also influence the whole run considerably - and there are a lot of them, although you're only given two random ones in each levelup to choose from. It scratches a similar itch to Hoplite, and it does it very well, but I hope it grows in variety some more.

So I'll be playing The Depths of Tolagal and The Dungeon of Endless until Dungeonmans go up on a sale, and then I'll jump on it (and SanctuaryRPG - Black Edition if the dev doesn't give me a Steam key for Groupees bundle... can't blame him if he doesn't want to, tho, it sounds like it's been a big mess for them)

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
If I'm doing this, I might as well throw in my opinion of Crowntakers: a mash-up between FTL-ish exploration and semi-randomized tactical battles of Heroes of Might and Magic type. It looks great and the tactical battles are well done as is crafting, NPCs and some encounters, but I'm probably not going to fight with it anymore. For one, bosses tend to have gimmicks and gotchas. It means that you're unlikely to win a boss fight on the first go, because by the time you figure out what to do with him, you're probably lying down on the ground dead and have to grind through first hour of easy encounters again to get to the boss.. only to repeat it at the next boss.

The choices you make in exploration seem to be mostly based on luck, like FTL. There's no way to know beforehand if you should observe the snails or dig the ground in a cave, so there's no risk/reward mechanism, just guessing and being punished or rewarded. You only have a vague idea of the threat level of random mobs on the map who increase in strength every day... an admittedly interesting mechanism, but you have no idea how big is the strength increase until you've run into somebody you can't kill and have to restart. It's all trial and error

In battles everything is dependent on keeping the main character alive (you can revive mercenaries, but once the main guy goes down it's Game Over), which makes you play the battles in a very conservative manner. Even if you have concentrated on building up nothing but health and dodge skills for the main guy, he can easily die in one or two turns (at least early on) if you've made the slightest error in the positioning. That's not even :xcom:, that's just a kick in the balls, and not a fun one either. In games with permadeath mechanic there has to be some margin of error left for the player for dealing with things he can't possibly know the first time around.

So yeah, it's too firmly up in the 'true hardcore only, no girls need to apply' treehouse, and not in a good way. The skill in the Crowntakers comes not so much in mastering its mechanics and making informed choices, but learning its patterns and 'gaming' the mechanics. There is an easy mode, but it relies on grinding more than anything (i.e., you restart with all the levels gained in previous games, so the first few levels are piss easy and boring as hell). There is lots to love in the game, but playing it makes me feel as if I'm in an abusive relationship.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I will forever be disappointed that Qud doesn't have some sort of Hokuto Shinken skill tree to go with the postapoc setting :v:

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Burning Rain posted:

So I'll be playing The Depths of Tolagal and The Dungeon of Endless until Dungeonmans go up on a sale, and then I'll jump on it
You missed it! It was on sale for like two weeks!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Kavros posted:

Monkey Island 2. The first one doesn't qualify because you can die.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

I will forever be disappointed that Qud doesn't have some sort of Hokuto Shinken skill tree to go with the postapoc setting :v:

I can endorse this notion alongside Apocalypse Zero and various others---partial clues for interactions and implementations can be had!

http://sourceforge.net/projects/hokuto-no-rogue/

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
There's been some discussion of hand to hand skills on the CoQ forum, but yes, I agree, I'd love for punching enemies to death with massive gauntlets or clawing them with mutant talons to be viable.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

ExiledTinkerer posted:

I can endorse this notion alongside Apocalypse Zero and various others---partial clues for interactions and implementations can be had!

http://sourceforge.net/projects/hokuto-no-rogue/

Oh nice, I think the might have actually updated since the last time I looked at it.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

madjackmcmad posted:

You missed it! It was on sale for like two weeks!

Sorry mate, I got Football Manager 2015 and Dungeon of the Endless during the sale and couldn't justify getting another game to myself :smith:

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Burning Rain posted:

Sorry mate, I got Football Manager 2015 and Dungeon of the Endless during the sale and couldn't justify getting another game to myself :smith:

FM2015 should last you well until the next sale.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

lurker1981 posted:

What are the more popular roguelikes these days? I mean, in theory, DTR and nethack will more than likely keep me occupied for years, but what's been keeping you guys busy?

This thread has frequent mentions of Sil, Brogue, and DoomRL; the latest hotnesses are Dungeonmans, Caves of Qud (not actually all that recent, but it's on Steam now and some of us are debugging the Unity port), and Crypt of the Necrodancer.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Necrodancer might just be my favorite 2014 game period. Everything about it is just so drat clever and the core mechanics are really well put together. (Even if it takes a little while to get used to.)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup (DCSS) and Tales of Maj'eyal (ToME4) are also popular, long-running roguelikes in active development, both with their own bustling threads here on the forum. They can be a little bit intimidating to get into and they take a long time to finally beat, but they're worth looking at for any roguelike player and good to go back to now and again to see what's changed even if you've tried them before.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

One Way Heroics is a charmer too, I'm not sure how much attention it got here since I binged on it a long while back and wasn't reading this thread. Dirt cheap on steam and very fun though.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

lurker1981 posted:

A game where the levels and monsters were exactly the same every single time you started a new game. The ability to savescum is a part of the game and is encouraged. Monsters move in "real time" without the player taking his/her turns. Multiple lives, or you can't die in a "dungeon", ever. Cheat codes (I'm giving nethack a pass with this one, though, because even in wizard mode I still can't beat the game without wishing myself a genuine amulet of yendor; it's so hard that even in "god mode" it is still possible to die horribly). You can play the game once and never feel like playing it again because you saw everything there was to see and do.

A JRPG?

Unormal posted:

Myst is the least roguelike game.

Or an adventure game/visual novel/whatever

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

victrix posted:

One Way Heroics is a charmer too, I'm not sure how much attention it got here since I binged on it a long while back and wasn't reading this thread. Dirt cheap on steam and very fun though.

It's cute, and I got my money's worth out of it (granted that it cost me, what, $2?), but it's pretty shallow and most of the secret content requires substantial luck to get. But yeah, it could be worth picking up.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

lurker1981 posted:

edit: Dungeonmans looks pretty cool, I might give that a try. I tried to politely inquire about Qud, but I'm being ignored, so gently caress it.

Hey man, you don't have private messages, not sure what you want me to do. Here's a key! Hope you check the thread a lot :D

TH5C7-ZBMED-KRR6K

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Hopefully that guy got it because it's already gone. Jealous, I really really wanna play CoQ too :(

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Paper Lion posted:

Hopefully that guy got it because it's already gone. Jealous, I really really wanna play CoQ too :(

I'll be posting another batch when we put the factions patch up.

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS

Unormal posted:

I'll be posting another batch when we put the factions patch up.

Do you have a feature list for the kinds of stuff that will be added once it hits Steam? It'd be interesting to know how it differs from the last stable XRL version that went out. I'm playing that, and I just finished the Rust Well quest. After checking out those guides, I'm doing much better with my characters, although I'd like to add that Red Kudzu totally sucks. I'm pretty much terrified to continue on, because I know that all that is waiting for me is a gruesome, horrific death. Are all of the areas on the world map functional right now, or are there some that the game has no idea what to do with yet?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nails posted:

Do you have a feature list for the kinds of stuff that will be added once it hits Steam? It'd be interesting to know how it differs from the last stable XRL version that went out. I'm playing that, and I just finished the Rust Well quest. After checking out those guides, I'm doing much better with my characters, although I'd like to add that Red Kudzu totally sucks. I'm pretty much terrified to continue on, because I know that all that is waiting for me is a gruesome, horrific death. Are all of the areas on the world map functional right now, or are there some that the game has no idea what to do with yet?

The big stuff is: tiles, achievements, trading cards, a mutation re-balance, and the faction work. Nothing else is committed, though we'll probably futz around with it. The current public is pretty close to what we're working on still.

There's still a lot unfinished in the current public build (six-day-stilt, etc), but you can mostly wander around the world map and get into trouble anywhere you want to go.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Just an FYI, Darkest Dungeons just sent out an email saying they're gonna have early access on Steam on Feb 3rd. I remember some people here talking about it before (which got me interested) and I'm kinda excited to actually play it.

Also a game I saw mentioned here a bit, Hand of Fate, has been something I've played a little bit and seems fun. The combat is a little different from most "traditional" roguelikes in that it's more like an action game, but the presentation is nice and the way you actually progress is interesting-essentially each dungeon is randomized from an encounter deck that has some fixed cards, and some slots you fill. And the maps themselves can vary from straight lines (meaning each encounter on that level must be passed) to grids that allow you to work your way through (which ends up with situations where you may find the exit early, but have to decide to risk going to other spots to maybe find treasure vs. just going down a level).

And I'm also looking forward to CoQ seeing a wider release on steam, especially with the tiles. I spent years playing ADOM before, but since I quit that awhile back I can't do ascii anymore.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
How updated is the public version of Qud? I wanna get in on that sweet roguelike goodness but it sounds like pretty much everything has changed.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
Somebody get Slowbeef signed up on this:

http://www.darkestdungeon.com/torment/

Apparently, going into this contest gets you the chance to immortalized in the halls of the Darkest Dungeon, assuming you provide enough entertainment for everyone.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Hyped for Darkest Dungeon!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

A Magical Lamp posted:

How updated is the public version of Qud? I wanna get in on that sweet roguelike goodness but it sounds like pretty much everything has changed.

The only real differences in the Steam version are Steam integration and tiles, especially if you can find the link to that "goon beta" build that got posted in here.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Jackard posted:

Hyped for Darkest Dungeon!

The 30th can't come quick enough.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So hyped for Darkest Dungeons. I always wanted a psychological Lovecraft-ian.
I will hopefully get at least 2/3rds of what I always wanted.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Whelp, finished up Bethesda Susa by jumping down the elevator shaft on floor 15 -- fortunately it's only a one-floor drop, so no damage taken there. And now I'm back at Grit Gate and my stash, which includes:

• A few high-explosive missiles (but no launcher)
  • A knollworm skull, a nanoweave west, and a suit of lightweight carbide plate armor
  • Plans for making thermal grenades and nuclear power cells (that I'm too dumb to understand :saddowns:)
  • A dozen chemical power cells
  • A bunch of miscellaneous grenades that I'm terrified to equip because of my dumbassed time clones
  • A crysteel shortsword and a gaslight kris (AFAICT "gaslight" means "lightsaber")
  • Two pistols that not only I, but also the Grit Gate shopkeeper, is too dumb to understand :saddowns:
  • A flamethrower and an "eigenrifle" whose description I assume is an injoke that I, the player, am too dumb to understand :saddowns:
  • A phial of neutron flux and a phial of cloning draught, no descriptions attached
  • A flaming canteen full of lava (still hot after weeks of walking!)
  • Waterskins of asphalt, acid, and slime

I love this game :allears:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Eigenrifle is a pinpoint accurate (literally no spread beyond your shaky hands) line AOE laser rifle and it's brutally powerful.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Whelp, finished up Bethesda Susa

Out of curiosity what's your playtime at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

dis astranagant posted:

The Eigenrifle is a pinpoint accurate (literally no spread beyond your shaky hands) line AOE laser rifle and it's brutally powerful.

That is one of the best weapon names I've ever seen in a game.