Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
QB pressures are bae....sacks are bae

The weight room is bae

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Bae Bae Watt.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
DIPSHIT OPPONENT: Did you guys hear the latest ep of Serial
JJ WATT: Time for me to download you into third and long, my bitch

B.F. Hoodrich
May 16, 2006
welp

football fuckerman posted:

QB pressures are bae....sacks are bae

The weight room is bae

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
IDIOT QB: Taylor Swift does write some catchy tunes
JJ WATT: The only catchy I understand is the pick six I am performing, because I love football so much, you rat gently caress

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
ANDREW LUCK: Hey man, nice hit
JJ WATT: If I wanted a nice hit I'd be riding shotgun with LeVeon Bell the football-hating fucktard, you underbiting jackass

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Intruder posted:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24941611/jj-watt-does-not-appreciate-the-words-totes-and-bae

JJ Watt doesn't like the words "totes" or "bae"

I'm sure you jerks will rip him for that one too :mad:

I don't know anyone that uses those "words," nor do I know what they mean. :corsair:

Edit: I'm totes aboard the JJ Watt bandwagon.

Nit Wit Dog Shit fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 8, 2015

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

You gave Spiller a D+? Really? Thats harsh C+, B- at best. While he isnt hall of fame, just having him sround changed the way the Buffalo offense functioned. Having Spiller let Jackson put a few less miles on his tires. Spiller also let all of the terrible QBs Buffalo has had have a reliable checkdown.

Yeah injuries have dinged him up, he hasnt lived up to his full potential, and better players were taken around that time, but those players wouldnt show how good they were vs how Buffalo was at that position.

Example, Iupati wouldn't have really been an option since rhe staff was high on Levitre. Earl Thomas would one day be great, but with George Wilson and Jarius Byrd it would have been looked at as a bad player to draft. You could make the case for JPP, but I can also see Gailey's idea of needing to score points somehow in order to one day unseat the pats.

Some of those other pics are brutal, but i think you sre being unfairly harsh on the Spiller pick.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Just realized Andrew Luck has an overbite actually. My apologies to the forum

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Atticus Finch posted:

Bae Bae Watt.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

waah posted:

You gave Spiller a D+? Really? Thats harsh C+, B- at best. While he isnt hall of fame, just having him sround changed the way the Buffalo offense functioned. Having Spiller let Jackson put a few less miles on his tires. Spiller also let all of the terrible QBs Buffalo has had have a reliable checkdown.

Yeah injuries have dinged him up, he hasnt lived up to his full potential, and better players were taken around that time, but those players wouldnt show how good they were vs how Buffalo was at that position.

Example, Iupati wouldn't have really been an option since rhe staff was high on Levitre. Earl Thomas would one day be great, but with George Wilson and Jarius Byrd it would have been looked at as a bad player to draft. You could make the case for JPP, but I can also see Gailey's idea of needing to score points somehow in order to one day unseat the pats.

Some of those other pics are brutal, but i think you sre being unfairly harsh on the Spiller pick.
Perhaps. 9th-overall ended up being a bad spot to be picking. Of course, the arguments you use against picking other players also apply to Spiller: recall that we had both Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson on the roster at the time. True, Beast Mode was looking like a disappointment himself(not to mention having just racked up two strikes on the substance abuse policy) and wanted out at the time. I blame the spot as much as I blame Spiller, honestly, but it doesn't change the fact Spiller has proven disappointing.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Probably Magic posted:

In Probably Magic's world, Todd Reesing is Russel Wilson.

In Parm Basil's world...Well I'll just wait until training camp to elaborate!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Also, he's from Wisconsin.

It's going to be pretty fantastic when the hometown hero returns in a few years. :getin:

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
In 2022?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Parmesan Basil posted:

In Parm Basil's world...Well I'll just wait until training camp to elaborate!

Are you going to go loss by loss?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Hi guys, Ravens secondary is bad.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Sign Byron Maxwell. He's good and will be available next year.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Bad Moon posted:

He's an interesting case. When healthy he's around replacement level, but he's injured at the end of the year which might lower his market value.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

draft the headcase out of washington

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Panthers need a LT, another WR, and a new offensive coordinator.

Can't really be upset with how the Panthers season ended. That month of december was awesome. Yeah Ron and Mike will likely be back next year but shithousing atlanta and new orleans in their buildings was great, they won a playoff game, and hung with seattle for 3.5 quarters.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

FizFashizzle posted:

Can't really be upset with how the Panthers season ended. That month of december was awesome. Yeah Ron and Mike will likely be back next year but shithousing atlanta and new orleans in their buildings was great, they won a playoff game, and hung with seattle for 3.5 quarters.

I only take solace in that a lovely division and a depleted Cardinals team allowed you to play far above your actual potential and into worse draft position.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

You forgot special teams coordinator, because that son of a bitch shouldn't be allowed to coach a Pop Warner team. Unless he's been fired already, then they just need to find a new one.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

That Works posted:

I only take solace in that a lovely division and a depleted Cardinals team allowed you to play far above your actual potential and into worse draft position.

This. They were the tallest midget in the division and gifted a playoff win that cost them a few draft spots AND will retain their lovely HC. In summary, gently caress the Panthers, especially for making me root for the Seahawks yesterday.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

AbsolutelySane posted:

You forgot special teams coordinator, because that son of a bitch shouldn't be allowed to coach a Pop Warner team. Unless he's been fired already, then they just need to find a new one.

Yeah, I did. They need to completely overhaul it. Obviously Rodgers needs to go back to Holy Cross, and they need to sign a legit returner.

That Works posted:

It's obviously too early to tell, but Carolina might have had the best draft in the NFL in 2014. I'm not really concerned.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

waah posted:

Spiller is inconsistent and can't block - Bills should have traded him before he got hurt

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Bad Moon posted:

Regnevelc posted:

draft the headcase out of washington

I was sort of hoping we could do both. Maxwell is a decent starter who hopefully won't demand too much of a salary and Marcus Peters could be an absolute steal if he falls to the 2nd round.

It's really sad to see what two ACL tears and a broken back have done to what was an excellent football player in Ladarius Webb. Covering dudes like Edelman was his bread and butter but now he just gets left in the dust.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

It's obviously too early to tell, but Carolina might have had the best draft in the NFL in 2014. I'm not really concerned.

Too early? Dude, it's still so early there are 32 NFL teams would could make that claim.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I was sort of hoping we could do both. Maxwell is a decent starter who hopefully won't demand too much of a salary and Marcus Peters could be an absolute steal if he falls to the 2nd round.

It's really sad to see what two ACL tears and a broken back have done to what was an excellent football player in Ladarius Webb. Covering dudes like Edelman was his bread and butter but now he just gets left in the dust.

I've read that Maxwell is going to get around $7 million APY, which is why he won't be back in Seattle. That's not crazy money for a starting corner but it ain't cheap.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Chilichimp posted:

Too early? Dude, it's still so early there are 32 NFL teams would could make that claim.

The Browns would certainly get laughed out of the room

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

football fuckerman posted:

The Browns would certainly get laughed out of the room

Other than the first round I think we had a decent draft, If we whiff hard in the first next year that's another story.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
i'm ready for the falcons to draft a bunch more things we don't need while signing up some of those waving cardboard cutouts to be our new offensive line

inflatable tube men will serve as the defense

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

sword_man.gif posted:

i'm ready for the falcons to draft a bunch more things we don't need while signing up some of those waving cardboard cutouts to be our new offensive line

inflatable tube men will serve as the defense

Hey, at least Dimitroff can keep claiming he's good with cap management...

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Chilichimp posted:

Certainly the Texans couldn't. You have to go all the way to the 6th round to find a player who played more than one full game before being lost to injury and wasn't irredeemably awful and Clowney's knee is probably going to gently caress his career

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

Certainly the Texans couldn't. You have to go all the way to the 6th round to find a player who played more than one full game before being lost to injury and wasn't irredeemably awful and Clowney's knee is probably going to gently caress his career

This year, maybe, the point is we don't know what everyone has yet. It'll take 2-3 years to get a clear picture of what value a team got, long term, from a draft. Clowney might actually DO A THING next season and literally kill a man.

This year really sucked from a draft storyline perspective. Manziel didn't play at all, Clowney was injury plagued, none of the big QB's were even in .500 ball clubs.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

Yeah, I did. They need to completely overhaul it. Obviously Rodgers needs to go back to Holy Cross, and they need to sign a legit returner.

The last 2 have been pretty impressive. It does amaze me how loving dumb the fanbase is though (I've been reading the Huddle). It's like people can't look at teams that sell out for free agents (say, the Saints this year), and see that it's almost always a losing proposition. They had a lovely year and now they're going to have to offload more talent to stay under cap. If you look at the teams that perform year over year, they've built up the teams with good to great drafting, solid mid-level FA pickups, and the occasional big name (like the Pats with Reavis or Randy Moss). Blowing huge wads on big name guys while trying to shuffle cap space down the line pretty much always catches up to you. Same thing with trading away good draft picks. Julio Jones is a fantastic wide receiver, but the Falcons really screwed themselves over with that trade. Also, lolWashington. Gettleman appears to be doing it in a way that should lead to long term success instead of the boom or bust poo poo the Panthers have been doing since their inception.

I too, long for the days of Marty Hurney blowing big wads of cash on running backs and broken QBs in an attempt to go one and done in the playoffs every year.

AbsolutelySane fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 12, 2015

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
We just can't win. Typically miami whiffs on 1 and 2 rounders while hitting mid rounders, while this year we nailed our 1st and 2nd picks, and whiffing on everyone else except for UDFAs, where we grabbed two gems

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

AbsolutelySane posted:

teams that sell out for free agents (say, the Saints

How many big free agent signings do you think the Saints made? They are in cap hell because of dudes like Jimmy Graham, Jahri Evans and Drew Brees, not because they signed Jarius Byrd (a basically identical signing to the Pats and Revis, which was a savvy move?).

The secret to being a really successful team over the long term is to have a good quarterback. The Pats have had long term success because they have had one of the best QBs ever paired with one of the best coaches ever. Ditto the Packers and Favre/Rodgers. And the Colts and now Broncos under Peyton. And the Steelers with Ben. The Colts will probably have a decade of continuous playoff appearances now that they have Luck, no matter how stupid their FO is.

There's also the fact that GMs often get credit for coaching. Would the defensive stars Carolina has right now be stars if they played for a team that didn't have a guy like Ron Rivera coaching them? If they played for the Saints they'd look abysmal because that's what people look like when they play defense for the Saints and then everyone would say that they were bad picks, just didn't pan out.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

NippleFloss posted:

There's also the fact that GMs often get credit for coaching. Would the defensive stars Carolina has right now be stars if they played for a team that didn't have a guy like Ron Rivera coaching them? If they played for the Saints they'd look abysmal because that's what people look like when they play defense for the Saints and then everyone would say that they were bad picks, just didn't pan out.

Some beat reporter in Minnesota touched on this in how after one year with Mike Zimmer, Rick Spielman's last few drafts suddenly look a lot better.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Flikken posted:

Other than the first round I think we had a decent draft, If we whiff hard in the first next year that's another story.

We whiffed hard this year with two first-round picks. I know four misses are worse than two, but other than that, how is this coming draft another story?

As for the rest of our draft, I like Bitonio a lot, obviously, but I don't think Kirksey or Desir are starters. West will probably be around for next year, after that I wouldn't be surprised to see us move on just because that's how RBs are.

Also please enjoy Mike Mayock's analysis of our first round: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/tracker?icampaign=nfl_drafttracker_nav-tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-team/dt-by-team-input:cle

quote:

Round 1, Pick 8 (8) (From Vikings) Justin Gilbert CB 6'0" 202 Oklahoma St. 6.3

Pick Analysis: "Understand that (new head coach) Mike Pettine is a former defensive coordinator. He's used to having a shutdown cornerback. He's 6-foot, 202 pounds and ran a 4.37 (40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine). He's the prototype cornerback in today's NFL." -- Mike Mayock

Round 1, Pick 22 (22) (From Eagles) Johnny Manziel QB 6'0" 207 Texas A&M 6.1

Pick Analysis: "I give (general manager) Ray Farmer and (head coach) Mike Pettine a lot of credit. There's hope for the city of Cleveland. Johnny Manziel is going to bring his electrification to the city of Cleveland. The Browns have Brian Hoyer, and he was playing pretty well until he got hurt. Hoyer can be the bridge if the Browns need a bridge. I think, because of Manziel's style, that he can play Day 1. This kid can make plays with his arm and legs until he learns how to be a pocket quarterback." -- Mike Mayock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

AbsolutelySane posted:

The last 2 have been pretty impressive. It does amaze me how loving dumb the fanbase is though (I've been reading the Huddle). It's like people can't look at teams that sell out for free agents (say, the Saints this year), and see that it's almost always a losing proposition. They had a lovely year and now they're going to have to offload more talent to stay under cap. If you look at the teams that perform year over year, they've built up the teams with good to great drafting, solid mid-level FA pickups, and the occasional big name (like the Pats with Reavis or Randy Moss). Blowing huge wads on big name guys while trying to shuffle cap space down the line pretty much always catches up to you. Same thing with trading away good draft picks. Julio Jones is a fantastic wide receiver, but the Falcons really screwed themselves over with that trade. Also, lolWashington. Gettleman appears to be doing it in a way that should lead to long term success instead of the boom or bust poo poo the Panthers have been doing since their inception.

I too, long for the days of Marty Hurney blowing big wads of cash on running backs and broken QBs in an attempt to go one and done in the playoffs every year..

The falcon s screwed themselves because they haven't addressed their lines for poo poo, and judging by their drafts, that's not for lack of picks. Turns out teams that just gently caress up integral part of team building do poorly, draft picks, free agency, all of that not with standing

• Locked thread