Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TinTower posted:

Who the hell is saying the show's lowly rated? It beat Corrie and Downton on Christmas Day...

The Mirror, and a bunch of periodicals quoting it. :rolleyes: It's interesting to hear why RTD hasn't written, though. I thought it'd be nice for him to come back and write an episode at some point, but the clean break makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I wonder if RTD not coming back at all is partly responsible for Moffat showing no signs of moving on. With RTD making a totally clean break there will be the expectation that once Moffat leaves he should do the same thing, and I can't see him ever voluntarily giving up Who entirely.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
RTD did recently make the rather fatuous and fate-tempting statement that Doctor Who can never be cancelled again. :doh:

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/rtd-its-now-impossible-for-doctor-who-to-ever-be-axed-70955.htm

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He could do what all DW alumni do (and, for that matter, what he seems to encourage DW alumni to do) and do done stories at Big Finish.

It is what RTD's done, going back and adapting Damaged Goods.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

RTD did recently make the rather fatuous and fate-tempting statement that Doctor Who can never be cancelled again. :doh:

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/rtd-its-now-impossible-for-doctor-who-to-ever-be-axed-70955.htm

Well, to paraphrase Lance Parkin, if we're arguing whether Doctor Who is as safe as Coronation Street, or merely as safe as Emmerdale, we're probably not in danger anytime soon...

Also, http://insidetv.ew.com/2015/01/05/doctor-who-ratings-2/

quote:

It’s been 52 years since the BBC first introduced Doctor Who. Yet even after all those decades and cast changes, the most recent season of the sci-fi classic was the most popular yet among U.S. viewers. BBC America announced Doctor Who finished the year marking its highest ratings ever, averaging 2.3 million viewers for the season.

Plus the show’s Christmas Day special, which had the Doctor teaming with Santa, had 2.6 million viewers across two airings.

The viewerships helps affirm Peter Capaldi, who took over the show’s starring role this season, along with co-star Jenna Coleman. Doctor Who will return with a new season this year.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

It's obviously pretty dumb to say it can never be cancelled. But now that it has international appeal and a pretty firm cultural hold, it is hard to imagine it being cancelled for as long as it was before, and especially it ever being permanently cancelled. Like I think it would need to have a string of really bad seasons before people lost interest enough for it to be cancelled, and then it would probably be retooled and relaunched within a few years.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'd say one or two bad production decisions that cause delays like with season 7 coupled with a lot of the main cast leaving at around the same time, followed two seasons of middling to bad writing would be enough to make it a candidate for the chopping block, and the resulting panic when it seems like it could happen would ensure it from there. Not that those are circumstances likely to happen, but they're definitely not impossible. You also have to figure that Moffat is eventually going to leave, and the unfortunate truth is that whoever they get to replace him may have all of the same ego issues but have earned less good will.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Missy, she's back!

Michelle Gomez is completely insane. It's pretty cool.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
We know "The Magician's Apprentice" is the first episode, but apparantly it's a two-parter. Episode 2 is called "The Witch's Familiar."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Barry Foster posted:

Missy, she's back!

Michelle Gomez is completely insane. It's pretty cool.

...is she wearing a vortex manipulator on her chocolate hand?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I can't wait to get home and watch the clip. I'm glad that they're building hype for her return; hopefully the understand what an event she was in that last episode.

e: Oh, it looks like she's in the first two-parter, which is why they're hyping it. I guess that's a bit early to bring her back, but it will be a good way to create some continuity between last season and this one.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Feb 19, 2015

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh hey, she is.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

HD DAD posted:

Well it didn't take long for someone claiming to be "in the know" to pop up and share some details about next series.

GallifreyBase posted:

Never done this before, can't actually do much, but here goes...

Another 13 ep series (counting the Xmas special), likely beginning on 22 August 2015.

Debate currently going on about skipping a week for Halloween due to kiddies being out, but no verdict yet.

Steven Moffat's final series. The next head hasn't been decided yet. Peter Capaldi will stay on.

A mid-series two-parter and a finale two-parter. I believe the mid-series one is being written by Jamie Mathieson, and I think it's episodes 5 and 6.

Steven Moffat is writing eps 1, 9, 11, 12 and 13.

The Christmas special is the concluding part of the finale two-parter. Steven had to convince the BBC about this.

Missy/The Master returns in episode 9, but she's not the villain, more tangled up in the plot.

Missy tags along with the Doctor in episode 10, written by Neil Gaiman, pretty much stand-alone.

Episode 11 is a "prequel" of sorts to the finale. I'm sure some people will even consider it a three-parter, like the S3 finale.

Episodes 11, 12 and 13 involve the Time Lords and Missy, but Gallifrey does not return (permanently).

Other writers include: Tom MacRae, I think episode 2, Neil Cross, I think episode 3, Steve Thompson, I think episode 4, Mark Gatiss, I think episode 7, a new writer (as yet undecided) for episode 8.

Might post a bit more.

Seems like this was at least partially full of poo poo then, though I can't say I'm surprised

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yeah, we know that's BS since they're now filming the first two episodes which are a two-parter, which also feature Missy.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

We've known it was BS for awhile anyway, since Neil Gaiman has been abundantly clear that he can't even meet the deadlines for the work that he's already signed on for, and very definitely would not be writing for Season 9.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Bicyclops posted:

The Mirror, and a bunch of periodicals quoting it. :rolleyes: It's interesting to hear why RTD hasn't written, though. I thought it'd be nice for him to come back and write an episode at some point, but the clean break makes sense.

The best RTD bit was after he left, and was asked if he would continue to write for the show, and he gave the same answer about "clean breaks", plus he had told all the stories about the Doctor that he wanted to.

Cue two weeks later:

"RTD to write for the Eleventh Doctor on the Sarah Jane Adventures"

He said he knew his previous comment about clean breaks was going to bite him on the rear end after that.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The Doctor Who Twitter has posted two fairly noteworthy things.

1. Two new episode titles, and their writers. The Girl Who Died by Moffat and Jamie Mathieson (Mummy on the Orient Express, Flatline), and The Woman Who Lived by Catherine Tregenna (four Torchwood episodes; I don't know if they were good ones). I think we knew about Tregenna before this, but Mathieson wasn't confirmed yet.

2. Maisie Williams is here!

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Cleretic posted:

four Torchwood episodes; I don't know if they were good ones

I think, in your heart, you do.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Cleretic posted:

1. Two new episode titles, and their writers. The Girl Who Died by Moffat and Jamie Mathieson (Mummy on the Orient Express, Flatline), and The Woman Who Lived by Catherine Tregenna (four Torchwood episodes; I don't know if they were good ones). I think we knew about Tregenna before this, but Mathieson wasn't confirmed yet.

2. Maisie Williams is here!

So the confirmed writers so far are Moffat, Mathieson, Tregenna and Gatiss, I think? And of those Moffat is writing, what, three or four, and the rest are presumably doing just the one each?

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...

Forktoss posted:

So the confirmed writers so far are Moffat, Mathieson, Tregenna and Gatiss, I think? And of those Moffat is writing, what, three or four, and the rest are presumably doing just the one each?

Toby Whithouse is also writing a two-parter.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Cleretic posted:

Catherine Tregenna (four Torchwood episodes; I don't know if they were good ones).

They're the ones that are as good as Torchwood gets, imo. She's the one behind the throwback episode where we meet the Captain Jack Harkness from whom our Captain Jack took his name. Also, the really creepy one with the town full of crazy cannibals, which was surprisingly effective and creepifying. So, yeah, this is decent news if not OMFG amazing.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

cool kids inc. posted:

They're the ones that are as good as Torchwood gets, imo. She's the one behind the throwback episode where we meet the Captain Jack Harkness from whom our Captain Jack took his name. Also, the really creepy one with the town full of crazy cannibals, which was surprisingly effective and creepifying. So, yeah, this is decent news if not OMFG amazing.

You're thinking of "Countrycide," which was written by Chibnall. I suspect you're mixing it up with "Meat," which was the one with the regenerating alien space whale that was being cut up and sold as meat.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

PantsOptional posted:

You're thinking of "Countrycide," which was written by Chibnall. I suspect you're mixing it up with "Meat," which was the one with the regenerating alien space whale that was being cut up and sold as meat.

You are totally right. drat. That one was preachy and weird. So big eh.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
The really weird thing about it is, she's not even a vegetarian nor does she have any particular views about the morality of meat consumption. So it was needlessly preachy, to boot.

Still, her season one episode were fairly good.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

PantsOptional posted:

The really weird thing about it is, she's not even a vegetarian nor does she have any particular views about the morality of meat consumption. So it was needlessly preachy, to boot.

Still, her season one episode were fairly good.

My vegan friend thinks Torchwood is wonderful for doing that episode. :cripes:

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Does anyone else think Maisie Williams and Jenna Coleman look similar? It kind of just hit me. I could see her playing a teenaged Clara since we haven't seen one before.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

cool kids inc. posted:

You are totally right. drat. That one was preachy and weird. So big eh.

Throw in a crippled or trapped mad genius plotting to take over once again and maybe a couple of Sontarans and/or Androgums and you might have the makings of a reasonably good Bob Holmes story. :v:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Shneak posted:

Does anyone else think Maisie Williams and Jenna Coleman look similar? It kind of just hit me. I could see her playing a teenaged Clara since we haven't seen one before.

I mean I guess they're both thin English women with brown hair.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Interesting that they seem to be going with pairings for episode titles. The Sorcerer's Apprentice/The Witch's Familiar and The Girl Who Died/The Woman Who Lived.

It's probably just that they're both two-parters so they made the names similar, but still.

I'm glad Mathieson is writing again.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Cleretic posted:

The Girl Who Died and The Woman Who Lived

So sick of this Oncoming Lone Miracle Girl Who Waited bullshit.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Shneak posted:

I was just thinking that, I can't quite place it but there's a lot of similarity in their faces. Wouldn't be entirely surprised if that did happen.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rusty doing 2 scripts for season 9.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

I'll believe it tomorrow. Trust nothing on April 1st.

Edit: and upon reading the full text of the article, it is an obvious prank.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
ha ha ...

As for the subject matter? Russell seems set on a very particular idea. “One thing that always bothered me about my run was the very end,” says Davies. “I always thought that last seventeen or so minutes with the Tenth Doctor didn’t quite go on for long enough, and finally I’ve been given a chance to add to it. My two parter will be following the glorious David Tennant continue his farewell tour, meeting all the faces he missed last time – like Elton and Chloe Webber – and we’ll even have him bumping into those characters he’s still yet to, like that Victorian trio, what-are-they-called. Where titles are concerned? I’m thinking The End of The End of Time, Part One and Two.”

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

A Viyran? The spacesuit from Sunshine? A fat Cylon? Let the speculation begin!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

A Viyran? The spacesuit from Sunshine? A fat Cylon? Let the speculation begin!

Muppet Dalek.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Edgy, grimdark industrial redesign for Alpha Centauri.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
It's the monster from Listen.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Alpha from Power Rangers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Okay, let's stop joking. It's obviously Clara.

• Locked thread