Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

LastInLine posted:

If you're using corporate Exchange you should be using Nine. It's the only good option.

Where did this come from and why am I only just now hearing about it? It's like Touchdown, but written by people who actually use Android phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a PDF reader that has dual page view and doesn't run like crap on large PDFs like Acrobat does?

EBookDroid will do this and is running a huge image heavy PDF just fine on my Nook HD+ which isn't exactly a speed demon.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

brc64 posted:

Where did this come from and why am I only just now hearing about it? It's like Touchdown, but written by people who actually use Android phones.
I don't know, I'd never put company email on a personal device so I don't follow too closely. I do know that it's been the one recommended here for about a year though.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Is there a good app to create folders with custom icons?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

LastInLine posted:

I don't know, I'd never put company email on a personal device so I don't follow too closely. I do know that it's been the one recommended here for about a year though.

All I'd ever seen recommended before was Touchdown, which looks like a Windows Mobile app ported to Android. It wasn't pretty, but it got the job done, keeping all Exchange data contained within the app rather than forcing you to give device admin rights to the entire phone. It looks like Nine does all of this, but looks much better in the process.

Running the two in parallel, my only two complaints are that it doesn't look like Android Pro Widgets can access the calendar and the email widget seems to be broken for me. I could live without the email widget, but the calendar thing really hurts me.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Medullah posted:

Is there a good app to create folders with custom icons?

If you're willing to go so far as to change launchers, I'm using Nova Launcher on a Note 3 and Droid Bionic (both unrooted) and freaking love it. Lets me use dumb skeuomorphic icons for my app drawer, Material icon packs for apps, and minimal icons in the docks. :colbert:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Arriviste posted:

If you're willing to go so far as to change launchers, I'm using Nova Launcher on a Note 3 and Droid Bionic (both unrooted) and freaking love it. Lets me use dumb skeuomorphic icons for my app drawer, Material icon packs for apps, and minimal icons in the docks. :colbert:

Yeah I should have said I know it's easy with alternate launchers, but I'm trying to stay stock.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Where do you get the icon packs and poo poo for Nova?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

always be closing posted:

Where do you get the icon packs and poo poo for Nova?

Search the play store for... icon packs!

You could also bum around mycolorscreen and so on, people link the packs they use so you can find some stuff you like. Sometimes they're on the makers' sites

Strat
Nov 6, 2004

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a PDF reader that has dual page view and doesn't run like crap on large PDFs like Acrobat does?

Xodo. It is really quick, has annotation support and is completely free.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So Falcon Pro updated for Lollipop. Not a surprise it's $4 and actually $2 to add more Twitter accounts. It's a bummer but with Twitter putting limits on third party apps he had to come up with something.

quote:

Introducing Falcon Pro 3

Yes. Falcon is back! And it's better than ever.

Here's All you need to know:

Update or new app?

This is a new app. Rewritten from scratch, the navigation, design and functionalities have been completely rethought.

Paid or free?

Paid, through in-app purchases for each account you want to use. 

It's 3.99$ for the first account, and 1.99$ for the next ones.

This is the best way I could think of to deal with Twitter limitations and ensure continuous support.

The app itself is free and you can use it for free with limited functionalities using the public lists that are included, the android one is pretty good :) 

What about functionalities?

Since the app is rewritten from scratch. Some functionalities are missing, the main one being DMs which is coming in the next update. But most of the features are here, along with new ones :

Column base navigation Anything from your timeline to a search to a specific user can be added as a column. If you're a fan of Tweetdeck like me, you're going to love this.

Position holding per column, with a new visual unread indicator 

Multi-account Inbox in side drawer, shows your mentions, RT, Favs and new follows.

Tweet from multiple accounts at the same time.

Performances This bad boy is fast.

Animations Activity transitions for Android 5.0 Lollipop.

Elegant, Polished, Dark Material design

And much more to come in future updates!

When can I get it ?

I already pushed the button. It'll be available in less than an hour on Google Play on this link : https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jv.materialfalcon

In the meantime check out the quick preview video below: http://youtu.be/bcS9LW45dwM

Edit. I just bought it and before anyone does and complains. No, there are no setting options and there is no DM functionality in the app right now.

The next update will have both.

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 12, 2015

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I was a Falcon holdout for a long time, but have become a big fan of Fenix. That said, I kudu so happened to have exactly $3.99 in credit from Google's surveys, sooooooo I'll give it a shot. I immediately wish there was a full back theme (because I'm a terrible person who likes things that look terrible) and there doesn't seem to be notifications yet, but it's the first release, so I'll give it seems time.

Edit: oh god, there's no way to mute people. That's probably going to be a deal breaker. (and, yes, I know I should just unfollow them, but there are a handful of people that don't care to see every tweet from, but can't really unfollow them due to local politics)

XIII fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 12, 2015

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

XIII posted:

I was a Falcon holdout for a long time, but have become a big fan of Fenix. That said, I kudu so happened to have exactly $3.99 in credit from Google's surveys, sooooooo I'll give it a shot. I immediately wish there was a full back theme (because I'm a terrible person who likes things that look terrible) and there doesn't seem to be notifications yet, but it's the first release, so I'll give it seems time.

Edit: oh god, there's no way to mute people. That's probably going to be a deal breaker. (and, yes, I know I should just unfollow them, but there are a handful of people that don't care to see every tweet from, but can't really unfollow them due to local politics)

I really like what Falcon has going on right now for the most part but I'm missing a couple features like streaming, muting, etc etc. Hoping those come back in time.

DM's and settings are set for the next update.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, I'm going to keep it installed and watch it grow. It won't be replacing Fenix for a while, but maybe one day. Regardless, it's worth burning some free money on in order to secure a token. Might grab a second one for a project that I've been working on.

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013

brc64 posted:

Running the two in parallel, my only two complaints are that it doesn't look like Android Pro Widgets can access the calendar and the email widget seems to be broken for me. I could live without the email widget, but the calendar thing really hurts me.

Nine adds your Exchange calendar to the regular Google Agenda app, so if APW can access its data, you should be good to go.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
What app and how can I make a backup of all my apps and their settings so when I flash a new ROM, I can just load from one spot?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

always be closing posted:

What app and how can I make a backup of all my apps and their settings so when I flash a new ROM, I can just load from one spot?
Titanium and by running it. Also this is a root question, not an app question.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Ragingsheep posted:

Nine allows you to set it that it only checks the email server during "peak" times which you can set. Under Settings > Sync Schedule > Sync Frequency > Peak

Just a followup note: using the peak settings saved me from 7 "urgent" emails during the weekend. I can feel calm returning - thanks again.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Skiant posted:

Nine adds your Exchange calendar to the regular Google Agenda app, so if APW can access its data, you should be good to go.

How much does Nine mix up with your contacts? I don't mind having access to my office contacts, but I don't want them cluttering up my regular contact list. I started to set up Nine but stopped there because I didn't want to do anything that would take time to unfuck.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Do any of the other Android browsers sync with Google accounts like Chrome does? Chrome has been acting kinda strange lately and I'm thinking about switching to something else but I find the tab sync too useful to go without. Is there some kind of setup that would let me use Chrome on the desktop and still have tab sync with an alternate browser on my phone?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
This morning, I started getting notified that I'll be charged $0.01/minute for local Google Voice calls in the US. I guess I knew this was coming at some point, they just kept pushing it back.

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013

porktree posted:

How much does Nine mix up with your contacts? I don't mind having access to my office contacts, but I don't want them cluttering up my regular contact list. I started to set up Nine but stopped there because I didn't want to do anything that would take time to unfuck.

I couldn't say, my work uses a centralized contact list which means I haven't got anyone in "My Contacts". If your job does the same thing, then Nine doesn't add anyone to your contact list.
On top of that, if you're using the standard Contacts app from Android you could always make a custom filter for your contacts list and untick Nine.

They're doing generally a great job at keeping everything under your "Nine account", which means you can enable/disable pretty much any integration in the system apps.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Karthe posted:

Do any of the other Android browsers sync with Google accounts like Chrome does? Chrome has been acting kinda strange lately and I'm thinking about switching to something else but I find the tab sync too useful to go without. Is there some kind of setup that would let me use Chrome on the desktop and still have tab sync with an alternate browser on my phone?

I use Dolphin Browser over Chrome 95% of the time now - it's generally faster, in my experience, and has an adblock extension. You can tie in Dolphin on Android with your Google account, then get the Dolphin Connect extension for Chrome, and it will cloud sync your open tabs to let you see what's open on other devices. Give it a shot.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Is there something I can use to track my battery usage better? The battery life on my N5 has absolutely tanked in the last couple weeks (although it's been way way lower than it should be ever since lollipop), to the point where it will go from full to 10% in about 8 hours with me barely even using it. When I look at the built in battery tracking, nothing logs over 2% of usage, and the visible list only adds up to about 15%. Something is murdering my battery but not showing up at all.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Taffer posted:

Is there something I can use to track my battery usage better? The battery life on my N5 has absolutely tanked in the last couple weeks (although it's been way way lower than it should be ever since lollipop), to the point where it will go from full to 10% in about 8 hours with me barely even using it. When I look at the built in battery tracking, nothing logs over 2% of usage, and the visible list only adds up to about 15%. Something is murdering my battery but not showing up at all.

Since Kitkat you need to root to get some more useful battery stats. Then you can use BetterBatteryStats to see what's up.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

JoeMB posted:

Since Kitkat you need to root to get some more useful battery stats. Then you can use BetterBatteryStats to see what's up.

Ugh I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that. Thanks though, time to investigate.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
As a note, I've found GSam to be a little more user-friendly than BBS. Also required trout to be at all useful, of course.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hooah posted:

As a note, I've found GSam to be a little more user-friendly than BBS. Also required trout to be at all useful, of course.

Will salmon do?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FAUXTON posted:

Will salmon do?
Well reading XDA feels like swimming upstream.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I am wondering if there are any apps (paid or free) or combination of apps that will help me with my comic reading.

I have a ton of CBR/CBZs on my PC, well over 30 gigs. I'd like to be able to read whatever I have with my tablet or phone without having to manually copy them over or sync a collection (Like ComicRack can do).

So I guess I'd need to be able to map a network drive as a local drive on the Android device, and then have an app keep track of what's read and unread. Bonus points if said app shows me "what's new" without me looking at date.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Medullah posted:

I am wondering if there are any apps (paid or free) or combination of apps that will help me with my comic reading.

I have a ton of CBR/CBZs on my PC, well over 30 gigs. I'd like to be able to read whatever I have with my tablet or phone without having to manually copy them over or sync a collection (Like ComicRack can do).

So I guess I'd need to be able to map a network drive as a local drive on the Android device, and then have an app keep track of what's read and unread. Bonus points if said app shows me "what's new" without me looking at date.

I use Perfect Viewer for reading comics. I tend to download them on my PC, then transfer them to my Nexus 7, but I just checked the settings, and it supports adding a LAN folder to your bookshelf.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Kheldarn posted:

I use Perfect Viewer for reading comics. I tend to download them on my PC, then transfer them to my Nexus 7, but I just checked the settings, and it supports adding a LAN folder to your bookshelf.

And PerfectViewer shows read/ unread. Doesn't show new however.

Which segues nicely into a Perfect Viewer question from me: when I first installed it, it displayed the nice little quickbar (advance to next issue etc.) when you hit the bottom. Now I just get a progress bar instead. I've played with all the settings and can't get it back. Any ideas?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I was a pretty big Nine lover for Exchange email, but ever since they integrated it with GMail it's been pretty killer.

Using it in conjunction with a Moto 360 as my Smart Lock has been nice, as well.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tunga posted:

Well reading XDA feels like swimming upstream.

Except for salmon, reproduction happens afterwards.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Kheldarn posted:

Cool, I'll give it a shot. I used Perfect Viewer a few years ago but it was buggy and crashed all the time. Few phones in, guess I'll give it another go.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

outlier posted:

And PerfectViewer shows read/ unread. Doesn't show new however.

Which segues nicely into a Perfect Viewer question from me: when I first installed it, it displayed the nice little quickbar (advance to next issue etc.) when you hit the bottom. Now I just get a progress bar instead. I've played with all the settings and can't get it back. Any ideas?

Have you tried setting it to Normal under Quick Setup?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Kheldarn posted:

(Perfect Viewer) Have you tried setting it to Normal under Quick Setup?

Yup. Reset to default settings. That drat progress bar is still there. I'm baffled.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

Skiant posted:

Somehow I missed this. Having appointments handled directly by Google Calendar is incredible! I uninstalled Touchdown this morning and bought the full version. Still having some weird issues with the email widget, but I can live with that.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

outlier posted:

Yup. Reset to default settings. That drat progress bar is still there. I'm baffled.

Very weird. Maybe try contacting the author? I know he puts out updates with fixes pretty fast when something breaks, so I'm guessing he has good communication with the users.

The only other option that comes to mind is to reinstall...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I'm using Mailbox for email, how's Nine compared to that?

• Locked thread