Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Elliotw2 posted:

They said they wanted to have 20 FE-mount lenses between them and Zeiss by the end of the year, but they've only really announced one so far. Currently they have 10 FE lenses, so expect 10 in the next 11 months.

But no word on new e-mount lenses, just FE-mount? There are a lot of inexpensive e-mount cameras out there, but the dearth of crop e-mount lenses (say compared to m43 lenses) for how long e-mount has been around is a little off-putting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

whatever7 posted:

I like how after Sony and Olympus formed an alliance, all the help Sony asked from Olympus was camera body improvement.

I started chuckling at this out loud because it's true.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Borachon posted:

But no word on new e-mount lenses, just FE-mount? There are a lot of inexpensive e-mount cameras out there, but the dearth of crop e-mount lenses (say compared to m43 lenses) for how long e-mount has been around is a little off-putting.

There's been some leaks of a few crop E-mount coming, also you can use FE lenses on a E camera.

Think of it less like EF/EF-S, and more like the DX Nikon lenses or DT Sony lenses.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 12, 2015

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Borachon posted:

There aren't alot of DX or EF-S lens for you to pick from either. That's how they got you.

Comedy "wait for Yongnuo to make one for your cropped sensor" option.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

whatever7 posted:

There aren't alot of DX or EF-S lens for you to pick from either. That's how they got you.

Comedy "wait for Yongnuo to make one for your cropped sensor" option.

Apart from maybe a nice fast wide prime in the 10-14mm range (that doesn't have to be as horkin huge as a FF 14/2.8), I don't know what lenses people want CaNikon to make for DX/EF-S that they don't already make.

The 50-150's never made a lot of sense to me, the Sigma OS version was what, 48 ounces? So you give up some reach to save 6 ounces of weight, not on a lens where that 6 ounces make it a tiny take everywhere companion, but one where it makes it "slightly less super heavy". I guess if you spend most of your time on the 70 end of a 70-200 it's nice to get that back, but what % of users is that? Sigma would not have discontinued this if it was a large % I'd imagine.

And besides that they make:
good wide zooms
slow standard zooms of all stripes
slow do-it-all zooms
fast standard zooms
macro lenses
slow telezooms

Of the standard set of primes that are available on both systems (14/20/24/28/35/50/85/135/200/etc) these are all FL that are useful on crop sensors also, and apart from the 20 & 14, making a special crop version of it wouldn't really get you some insane size savings. I just don't know what people always feel is missing other than a not as gigantic wide prime. The rest of their bases all seem to be covered.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I don't know if it's possible for nikon's mount but I am jealous of the cheap 24mm pancake that canon has. I want that focal length at that size and that price but for nikon. I'd prefer f/2 to 2.8 and would be willing to compromise some on size and/or price to get it but basically I wish they would make more dx wide primes in the spirit of the 35mm 1.8G and make them tiny if possible. DX wide primes are the thing Nikon really doesn't seem to care about.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Unless your APS lens lineup has an entry-ish wide angle prime in the 16mm-20mm range, I wouldn't even call Nikon's DX lens selection a "lineup". Actually Nikon has hands down the worst APS lens selection. You can chalk it up as another brand that has more FF bodies than APS lens. Nikon has taught Sony well.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Dren posted:

I don't know if it's possible for nikon's mount but I am jealous of the cheap 24mm pancake that canon has. I want that focal length at that size and that price but for nikon. I'd prefer f/2 to 2.8 and would be willing to compromise some on size and/or price to get it but basically I wish they would make more dx wide primes in the spirit of the 35mm 1.8G and make them tiny if possible. DX wide primes are the thing Nikon really doesn't seem to care about.

I'm not sure if Nikon could do that one since its a recess into the mirror box. None of their dx lenses poke back into the mirror box afaik. Don't think it could be a pancake if it wasn't for that.

Agreed that wide primes are really the only lacking thing though, like I said. They actually have an advantage (smaller retrofocal group) size wise, so they'd be nice.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Sony's at least got a few wide lenses, and the FE line up's gonna cover all the longer options just fine. I wouldn't mind them making a second shot at the 16/20mm primes, since they're not terribly hot. The 10-16mm prime is good though, and the Sigma 3rd party lenses handle 20mm fine.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Ughhhhhh I'm having a hell of a time deciding between an X-E2 and X-T1. There's a $500 gap between the two. I've had an X-E1 and X-T1 before and preferred the rangefinder body style slightly, but the X-T1 EVF is incredible. Any other major differences between the two?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Incidentally, I've been wanting Nikon to make wide dx primes for years and the fact that fuji came along and knocked it out of the park while Nikon did nothing but release new, could-not-possibly-be-less-exciting consumer zooms and absurdly expensive FX glass has really pissed me off re: Nikon.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Digital Jesus posted:

Ughhhhhh I'm having a hell of a time deciding between an X-E2 and X-T1. There's a $500 gap between the two. I've had an X-E1 and X-T1 before and preferred the rangefinder body style slightly, but the X-T1 EVF is incredible. Any other major differences between the two?

Wait for the x-pro2? If you really want a RF style body, but with the newest tech

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Digital Jesus posted:

I would only decide between an used XE1 and a XT1. XE2 IMO is a transitional model, its value will depreciate very fast.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

I have no camera right now so I don't really want to spend the next 6 months poring over X-Pro2 rumours. I don't necessarily need the newest tech, I just want to know if I'm missing any other huge differences between the two.

Yeah the X-E2 already has depreciated fast, that's why I'm considering it. Wi-Fi is a nice addition that I'll use. I've heard the X-E2 auto-focuses a lot better than the 1 as well, but haven't tried it to confirm.

Digital Jesus fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 13, 2015

Danoss
Mar 8, 2011

Digital Jesus posted:

I've heard the X-E2 auto-focuses a lot better than the 1 as well, but haven't tried it to confirm.

The X-E2 has the newer X-Trans II sensor with PDAF + contrast AF, whereas the X-E1 has the original X-Trans sensor which has contrast AF only. The main differences between the two are that, Wi-Fi, EC dial with ±3 stops instead of ±2, larger and higher res LCD, and I believe the EVF is more responsive on the X-E2.

I'm sure there are a few other differences that perhaps some owners of either of those could clarify, but I think those are the main ones.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Ahahaha, holy poo poo! I was just going to take photos of my OG NEX-3 (bought basically at launch) to sell on eBay "as-is", since it died mid-shot on a roadtrip last December. It quit with the shutter closed and just said "camera error", Google led me to believe it wasn't fixable, so I had to replace it that afternoon (fortunately was in central Kobe, was able to find a few secondhand shops within walking distance and buy a buy a secondhand NEX-5 for a reasonable sum). I'd figured the shutter had given up the ghost, had been my main camera for several years at that point. Every now and then would pick it up and try more Googling/messing around with it to no avail.

It had been sitting without a battery for a few weeks (last time I tried to mess with it), when I put a new one in so I could show the error message in auction photos, it asked me to re-enter the date/time, and boom, started working again. I'm guessing that giving it that much time without any kind of trickle power was enough to do a hard reset (something I tried doing via instructions and never made a difference), which cured whatever software glitch messed it up in the first place.

Also, was testing out the CCTV 35 1.7 I got in the mail this morning with it, drat decent for thirty bucks. Thanks again to Elliotw2 for the heads-up on Amazon having it vs waiting for it to come from :china:

Danoss posted:

The X-E2 has the newer X-Trans II sensor with PDAF + contrast AF, whereas the X-E1 has the original X-Trans sensor which has contrast AF only. The main differences between the two are that, Wi-Fi, EC dial with ±3 stops instead of ±2, larger and higher res LCD, and I believe the EVF is more responsive on the X-E2.

I'm sure there are a few other differences that perhaps some owners of either of those could clarify, but I think those are the main ones.

I was pretty keen on the X-T1 because of the EVF and articulating LCD. I find the latter something I can't live without, although it's a YMMV thing.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
Articulating LCD is one of the most important camera features of the past decade. Will never buy a camera without it.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

FWIW I just recently switched from an X-E2 to an X-T1. While the viewfinder in the former is great, on the X-T1 its sublime. Magnification is great so I don't have to press the viewfinder against my eye (and then have to clean the optics). I preferred the form factor of the X-E2 aesthetically, but my big hands and face really needed something bigger. I no longer block the viewfinder lamp with my fingers. I have yet to use the articulating LCD much but I'm sure it will be quite useful for shooting over crowds, from street level (no more laying down on the floor), and with the tripod. The electronic shutter is great when you want to shoot wide open in broad daylight, as long as you are not shooting moving objects, you wont need an ND filter. Another neat feature is that with the X-T1 you can print directly to Instax printer, if you care about that. I do because when I travel I like to give people prints of the images they let me take of them.

Things I will miss from the X-E2 are that the exposure compensation dial is easier to turn when you have the camera up to your eye, that you can set ISO to a Fn button (on the X-T1 you have to use the dedicated dial and its impossible with the camera to your eye), the directional buttons on the X-T1 feel like crap, and that the X-E2 looks cooler in my opinion.

I sent my X-E2 to Fuji to fix a small issue with the viewfinder, when I get it back I will put it up for sale.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Rumor has it that Olympus will release their new 7-14 f2.8 lens at CP+. God I hope it's not too expensive, I have a serious case of GAS.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
From Japan, with Love by Pompous Rhombus

Thought you guys might appreciate these lil' guys, part of my GF's Christmas gift for me. The X-T1 even comes with a detachable 18-55 :3:

According to the paper that came in the capsules there's also an X-A1 with the 27mm f/2.8 in the series (and a disposable camera and roll of film).

This is also a test of that Fotasy 35mm f/1.7, thing's great for the money.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
What I like the most about the X-E2 is that with my 27mm it's small size. If I'm shooting serious photos and need a sore ergonomic camera my $20 grip gets bolted on and now my tiny pocket camera fills my hand perfectly.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Just going to chime in to say I picked up the Canon EOS M about 6 months ago and am pretty happy with it. Got the 22mm and 18-55mm lenses with it and although the auto-focus isn't incredibly snappy it's a great little "walk-around" camera. The image quality is great too.

On top of that it looks like Tamron have released an 18-200mm lens for it which will be a handy replacement for the 18-55mm.

There's also an 11-22mm wide angle which I'm trying hard to resist buying.

I've got my 5D & 7D for "proper work" - but for something to take on trips/have in my bag day-to-day, this is great.

psylent fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 14, 2015

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Now imagine how you'd feel if you got a real mirrorless with actual support.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Elliotw2 posted:

Now imagine how you'd feel if you got a real mirrorless with actual support.

Hey, the EOS-M may have an old sensor, a whole five lenses after two and a half years, crappy ergonomics, an awful control set and glacial autofocus speeds but it has....

Uh....

I'll have to get back to you on what it actually has that's worthwhile.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

grack posted:

Hey, the EOS-M may have an old sensor, a whole five lenses after two and a half years, crappy ergonomics, an awful control set and glacial autofocus speeds but it has....

Uh....

It says CANON in white letters on the front, duh. That was an easy one.

Next question!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

quote:

It has some weight so you can use it as a paperweight.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

grack posted:

Uh....

Well, it was probably $300.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
If you buy the adapter you can use it as a cool rear cap for your EF lenses.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Pompous Rhombus posted:

From Japan, with Love by Pompous Rhombus

Thought you guys might appreciate these lil' guys, part of my GF's Christmas gift for me. The X-T1 even comes with a detachable 18-55 :3:

According to the paper that came in the capsules there's also an X-A1 with the 27mm f/2.8 in the series (and a disposable camera and roll of film).

This is also a test of that Fotasy 35mm f/1.7, thing's great for the money.

Cool. I got an OMD and EP? (3?) from a capsule machine a few years ago. Interchangeable lenses and all.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/qvJ2kJ]

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I just want to post this picture because I can't think of anything nice to say about the EOSM

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
you guys are kinda bitchy huh

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
we need the angst

for the art, you see

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

psylent posted:

Just going to chime in to say I picked up the Canon EOS M about 6 months ago and am pretty happy with it. Got the 22mm and 18-55mm lenses with it and although the auto-focus isn't incredibly snappy it's a great little "walk-around" camera. The image quality is great too.

On top of that it looks like Tamron have released an 18-200mm lens for it which will be a handy replacement for the 18-55mm.

There's also an 11-22mm wide angle which I'm trying hard to resist buying.

I've got my 5D & 7D for "proper work" - but for something to take on trips/have in my bag day-to-day, this is great.

Out of curiosity, what made you decide to buy it?

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
The EOS M just happens to be an interchangeable-lens mirrorless camera with a large aps-c sensor. It didn't sell well so it can be had for very cheap.

People hate on it because it represents what everyone hates about Canon and all companies in general. Just like the Rebel line they could have easily made it 'good' but chose not to so they don't cannibalize their other models upmarket. They literally put out the EOS so people who hear "mirrorless is better than DSLR herp derp" will go to the store and pick the canon offering over less well-known brands. Then they get home and say "drat, mirrorless sucks" and go buy a canon DSLR.

Fuji, olympus, pentax, etc don't have high-end DSLRs to worry about so they can put all of the 'good' features into their non-pro models.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The primary advantage of the EOS M is that it + EF adapter can be had for less than a NEX + metabones adapter if you really want a mirrorless that can use your EF lenses. The autofocus speed is about the same across the two even.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Apparently it can handle 720P RAW recording with Magic Lantern, which is neat I guess.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

timrenzi574 posted:

Apart from maybe a nice fast wide prime in the 10-14mm range (that doesn't have to be as horkin huge as a FF 14/2.8), I don't know what lenses people want CaNikon to make for DX/EF-S that they don't already make.

The 50-150's never made a lot of sense to me, the Sigma OS version was what, 48 ounces? So you give up some reach to save 6 ounces of weight, not on a lens where that 6 ounces make it a tiny take everywhere companion, but one where it makes it "slightly less super heavy". I guess if you spend most of your time on the 70 end of a 70-200 it's nice to get that back, but what % of users is that? Sigma would not have discontinued this if it was a large % I'd imagine.

And besides that they make:
good wide zooms
slow standard zooms of all stripes
slow do-it-all zooms
fast standard zooms
macro lenses
slow telezooms

Of the standard set of primes that are available on both systems (14/20/24/28/35/50/85/135/200/etc) these are all FL that are useful on crop sensors also, and apart from the 20 & 14, making a special crop version of it wouldn't really get you some insane size savings. I just don't know what people always feel is missing other than a not as gigantic wide prime. The rest of their bases all seem to be covered.

P.S. I have a sigma 50-150 (not the OS one) and even though I only bought it because I didn't want to drop the cash on the lens I really wanted and I agree it doesn't really make a ton of sense, it's a very nice lens

Vale05
Feb 25, 2013
I bought a refurb NEX-6 back in September as my first step beyond the world of point and shoot, and so far I'm loving it. With tax returns coming up I was hoping to add a lens to my collection and was wondering if anyone had some recommendations. The 16-50mm kit is currently my only E-mount lens. On top of that I have a Nikon adapter that I use with a 70-300mm for some basic astrophotography, and a Minolta MD adapter that I use with some old lenses my dad gave me. For MD lenses I have a 28mm (which I love and use frequently), a 50mm (not in great shape, focus ring grinds a bit), and a 135mm (haven't had many opportunities to try it).
I would love to get a prime that allowed me to use AF, and stabilization would be a nice bonus. My budget isn't huge, but I'd say that most of the Sony and Sigma primes are within my reach.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Doesn't Sony make a 35 with OS? That'd be my first choice if it's any good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They do. I had one with my A6000 and really liked it. My only issue with it was that the manual focus throw was pretty long, but that's not an issue for most people.