Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gaius Marius posted:

It's the Tsugumori from Knights of Sidonia.

It actually has a special set of hands for putting units the model in the clasp formation. The manual only shows two units but I'm pretty sure you could extend it out to any amount of Gardes.

I actually feel kind of bad that they even bothered putting in the Kabizashi and other weapons because even if I might actually be able to pose it better or make it look cooler with the other weapons there's no way in hell that that cannons ever coming off once I finish the model.

is the the Kabizashi not an add on item or did they make non named suits too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

is the the Kabizashi not an add on item or did they make non named suits too?

The Kabi is included. It's actually kind of lame it's just two plain white plastic pieces. There's good detail work on the tip, but it seems odd to me that They couldn't have molded the tip in a different color. Actually for a 50 dollar I would've liked to see some better seam line hiding and color separation. And actually despite it being accurate to the Show/Manga I think the kit would've benefited from using two tones of white to make it a little more visually enticing. I guess that's what you get for buying Kotobukiya instead of Bandai though. That and the Fuckhuge box.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gaius Marius posted:

The Kabi is included. It's actually kind of lame it's just two plain white plastic pieces. There's good detail work on the tip, but it seems odd to me that They couldn't have molded the tip in a different color. Actually for a 50 dollar I would've liked to see some better seam line hiding and color separation. And actually despite it being accurate to the Show/Manga I think the kit would've benefited from using two tones of white to make it a little more visually enticing. I guess that's what you get for buying Kotobukiya instead of Bandai though. That and the Fuckhuge box.

What's the overall quality like on that Tsugumori? I've been considering getting one for a while. Also, How do the barrel extensions attach? Do they snap onto eachother or do they just tab in?

Also, would you mind showing it beside an HG if you have one? Just curious what the scale difference is like.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Apologize for the lovely camera work and posing I should actually be sleeping right now.

The Tsugumori is a pretty good kit I'd say.

Height Wise it's taller than the GM sniper K9 and my Nonscale Takemikaduchi. But it's a very lanky streamlined kit, the legs are actually thinner than the GM's. Since it's a 1/100 scale kit I'd show it with a master grade but I don't actually own one.

Detail wise it has quite a few panel lines all over the kit but especially on the back thrusters which are covered with the drat things. This is great because other wise the fact that ninety percent of the kit is solid white would really bring the whole thing down. It's also got a set of waterslides I haven't bothered putting on. If you want it to look great your looking at some seam filling on the limbs and some painting on the tips of the fingers and on the Kabi.

Articulation is okay the Backpack can move up and over it's head and the pointy part of it can extend upwards to give it some more height. the arms and legs can bend pretty far but it's practically impossible to get the thing to actually stand on it's own two feet. The manual does show it transforming into a kind of "dog mode" wheres the garde stands on all four. The red toes flip out and there's an attachment that has a red blade that can pop out that attaches to the forearm. The Visor on the head can also pop up to fire its Higgs cannon.

Accessory wise it comes with the Cannon, the Kabi, two forearm blades, three forearm shields for each arm, one that's the standard shield one for helping hold the cannon and one with the cutting blades extended. It also comes with two stands a Toha heavy industries one for holding the Tsugumori and a generic one to hold up the cannon.

The cannon Attaches to the forearm with two pegs and then is further secured with the forearm shield. You can put the barrel tip on now and Have a reasonable cannon that you could pose the model with or you can take the four barrel extenders that each slot in to a peg on the end of the last one and then connect five more times with it's opposite piece. The cannon is remarkably stable and bends far less than I would have thought it would. this is helped by the included barrel stand that is practically required to use with the full barrel. Really with the cannon out there's only one pose you can do but that one pose is also the only one you need.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's an RG. Super-fiddly parts are the kit line's bread-and-butter :v:. Just take your time and build it on something low to the floor rather than at your desk. Some of those pieces can ping off into the ether like you wouldn't believe.

You can also put the sprues in a large (1 or 2 gallon) ziplock bag and do your cutting inside the bag. Parts will only have one way to escape, which will be nicely blocked by your chest.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Everything I hear about RG make them sound awful.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Tenzarin posted:

They're actually fantastic kits and fun to build, but every kit has its flaws or drawbacks. It just comes with the territory.

Also, I just got my Nightingale from Amazon and these pieces are massive. Some of them are so large they didn't even bother to give them a gate or runner, not even with a bit of extra plastic with a number on it. It'll be a while before I get started on it, though. Next kit is going to be another practice/experiment with a cheap old HGUC 0080 GM.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Does anyone know of a good guide or just write-up on kitbashing stuff, it's cool to read about and I might as well learn some techniques that people use

AstraLunaSol
Mar 6, 2013

Tenzarin posted:

It's what you get when you cram mg/pg level gimmicks and an internal frame into a 1/144 scale. They're nice to have, but not nice to pose and constantly fiddle with. Make them as good as you ever will, pose them then leave them alone and never touch it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

muike posted:

Does anyone know of a good guide or just write-up on kitbashing stuff, it's cool to read about and I might as well learn some techniques that people use

Poke around in science fiction and military model forums. A lot of the same techniques apply. If you can read Japanese or Chinese go trawl some forums in those languages - there is a huge corpus of mecha-specific knowledge in Japanese that you could apply with no thought, but the fundamental ideas are available in English and ready to be adapted.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

FYI, the el cheapo harbor frieght kit is perfectly fine if all you are doing is painting pieces solid colors. You dont need anything better for gundams until you start shading and doing weathering.

It can also prime and topcoat just fine.

I was in my local Harbor Freight eyeing the compressor and an el cheapo air tank the other day. It didn't look terrible, so I may go in on it when I get the money ready.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Does RG Wing come with a base? Just wanna know if I need to order one with it. I'll probably build it right away even though my backlog is like 8+ kits now :v:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Nope. None of the RGs do.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
I just put together my G-Self and that thing had the most insane amount of stickers for a kit so small. Still really like the design for what it's worth. I also accidentally ordered a second Grimoire so I'm not sure what to do with that atm. I'm currently slaving away through my 30+ suit backlog at the moment which has been interesting.

Since I saw someone else post it, I also got the Tsumugi from Knights of Sidonia and... yeah. Big gun

I also wish that they had done some better color separation for the Kabi spear because I'm an inept painter and am consigned to it looking like a giant white spear.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Nope. None of the RGs do.

Most of them do have a special adapter to mount them to an Action Base 2 though, so don't go sticking the standard peg mount on.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Since it's my birthday on Friday, I decided to buy myself a birthday present.

MG Turn X should be here tomorrow :getin:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Spent yesterday evening airbrushing the sprues of my first Gundam kit, can't wait to get home to start putting it together! The highlights on my red paint ended up a lot more pink than I planned for, but I hope I can fix it with a red glaze or something.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Since it's my birthday on Friday, I decided to buy myself a birthday present.

MG Turn X should be here tomorrow :getin:

noice! keep it up and dont let your hobby become a collection

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Warmachine posted:

I was in my local Harbor Freight eyeing the compressor and an el cheapo air tank the other day. It didn't look terrible, so I may go in on it when I get the money ready.

If you aren't in a rush everything at Harbor Freight goes on sale eventually. If you sign up for their email promos, you even get super special secret coupons sometimes.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Soul of Chogokin GaoGaiGar came and the drill tanks have working treads I'm crying.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

noice! keep it up and dont let your hobby become a collection

You're far too late for this advice.

This is just my display shelf, I've got quite a lot of others. Also, while I'm reminded: Don't buy HG Zeta. It will not hold any pose that isn't neutral.

(I :spergin:'d out and put them in chronological order)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Maybe he just ended his sentence early and left out "... of boxes" at the end. :haw:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I'm actually getting pretty good at getting rid of boxes, since I collapse the lids, save the spare parts in baggies, and toss the bottoms of the boxes.

And I'm not wealthy enough to accumulate a backlog, I only have around £60 a week disposable income, and even then, I'm only doing one or two MGs a month nowadays. I've stopped buying HGs, because I find I get lured into buying too many of them. "Well, they're only £15, so I'll get three AW gently caress I JUST SPENT £45". Plus I've never tried repainting or anything, so MGs go a lot further. I can knock out a HG in a few hours, which isn't very satisfying.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 12, 2015

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Is the Over Flag just Graham's Custom Flag with the upgraded gun, or are there any other differences?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's a rightie instead of a leftie. Otherwise, exact same thing.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Vahtooch posted:

So what's the best rg in everyone's opinion? Currently I'm leaning towards the justice. I'm in Japan atm and need to spend some cash on plastic!

Your best bet would be to get the SPN-120 nippers if you can find 'em.

I tried them out briefly yesterday. Holy balls. Get RIGHT up to the part, nip, a few swipes of high-grit sandpaper, and that's it. you're done. They completely rule out shaving with an Xacto.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

It's a rightie instead of a leftie. Otherwise, exact same thing.

I don't see how that's a function of the kit and its parts, though. Surely you can just have it hold the gun its other hand and attach the defence rod to its other arm? They're pretty symmetrical, aren't they? Or does the Custom Flag have an extra open-hand part on its right?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

...You asked for what the difference was, and I told you.

As for the kit, you get more extra right hand parts than left but that's about it. You can swap the shields or which hand is holding the gun as you like.

EDIT: Unless you meant the HGs, in which case both of them just come with closed fists.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 12, 2015

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Darth Walrus posted:

I don't see how that's a function of the kit and its parts, though. Surely you can just have it hold the gun its other hand and attach the defence rod to its other arm? They're pretty symmetrical, aren't they? Or does the Custom Flag have an extra open-hand part on its right?

In the anime, Graham's over flag held the gun on the other arm, and was black, tha'ts about it.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
Can we start a "post pictures of your model work area?" thing? I'm trying to get some ideas for a desk/bench and I want to see what you goons are working with.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

slightpirate posted:

Can we start a "post pictures of your model work area?" thing? I'm trying to get some ideas for a desk/bench and I want to see what you goons are working with.

I've just got a kitchen counter for when you absolutely, positively have to be a straightbuilding sack of poo poo.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

My room is a pig sty at the moment, I'm removing the old equipment to have more space for paint racks. I do the painting itself in the balcony outside since wind comes in from this room.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

...You asked for what the difference was, and I told you.

As for the kit, you get more extra right hand parts than left but that's about it. You can swap the shields or which hand is holding the gun as you like.

EDIT: Unless you meant the HGs, in which case both of them just come with closed fists.

Yeah, I was talking in pure kit terms. I know the in-show differences, I was just wondering how they were represented by the actual Gunpla.

Basically, if I bought an OF to represent Graham's custom machine, would I be missing anything except the older gun?

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 12, 2015

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
What's the right way to dispose of your airbrush cleaning bottle's contents? I've got way too much Alclad, lacquer thinner, and airbrush cleaner in there to safely/legally put down the drain, nor do I want to wreak havoc on the ancient plumbing of my house.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ignore the plastic bag that probably had more supplies in it. Half the time I find buying supplies to be as fun as making the model. But yeah, my spartan fold-out table, paint carosel, and assorted other bits and bobs. Organization is for those whom's soul is weighed down by gravity.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

MJP posted:

What's the right way to dispose of your airbrush cleaning bottle's contents? I've got way too much Alclad, lacquer thinner, and airbrush cleaner in there to safely/legally put down the drain, nor do I want to wreak havoc on the ancient plumbing of my house.

don't most cities have a place where you can drop off hazardous household cehmicals like paint thinners?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Is the Over Flag just Graham's Custom Flag with the upgraded gun, or are there any other differences?

The HG kit actually comes with both the upgraded and original guns. It's also very floppy if you don't position the limbs juuuust right, because it has no polycaps. The transformation gimmick's nice and simple though.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

MJP posted:

Your best bet would be to get the SPN-120 nippers if you can find 'em.

Oh you're hilarious, God hand being in stock somewhere. I spent a decent amount of time trawling through Akihabara yesterday when I picked up the rg justice and some action bases and couldn't find a single shop with stock. Lots of the wire and tape snippers though. It was very depressing. I'm also so glad I only have a small amount of luggage space or my wallet would be very, very sad. It's all so cheap here.....

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vahtooch posted:

Oh you're hilarious, God hand being in stock somewhere. I spent a decent amount of time trawling through Akihabara yesterday when I picked up the rg justice and some action bases and couldn't find a single shop with stock. Lots of the wire and tape snippers though. It was very depressing. I'm also so glad I only have a small amount of luggage space or my wallet would be very, very sad. It's all so cheap here.....
Yodobashi camera has them behind the counter and in stock online meaning in stock in store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Those god hand nippers are 100 bucks on ebay lol.