Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Pinterest Mom posted:

A Jindal run is going to be great for uncovering all the progressives who think it's funny to make fun of an Indian guy's birth name.

See also Ted Cruz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

I don't think he's being mocked for having an Indian name per se, but rather for replacing it with a more "American" sounding one to get elected.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Dr. Tough posted:

I don't think he's being mocked for having an Indian name per se, but rather for replacing it with a more "American" sounding one to get elected.

He started going by "Bobby" when he was a kid.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

The Warszawa posted:

He started going by "Bobby" when he was a kid.

Now that I've looked it up, it's even worse than I thought because he took name from a Brady Bunch character

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Dr. Tough posted:

Now that I've looked it up, it's even worse than I thought because he took name from a Brady Bunch character

Well, I mean I guess it isn't any different from someone from my generation asking to be called "Kramer" or "Ross" but still it being the Brady Bunch is kinda funny.

Plus how does he not go with Greg? bobby was a little poo poo.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Fried Chicken posted:

Well, I mean I guess it isn't any different from someone from my generation asking to be called "Kramer" or "Ross" but still it being the Brady Bunch is kinda funny.

I knew brothers named Tom and Jerry after the cartoon because their Vietnamese names were harder for small town white people to understand. Eventually Tom switched over to Tim to avoid people noticing that they were named after cartoon characters.

It's not all that shocking that Jindal went that route.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I've decide that its only racist if I capitalize it, ala "That drat Bobby PIYUSH Jindal."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
So let me guess, it's just Barack :derp: :siren: HUSSEIN :siren: :derp: Obama all over again?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

I don't know why anyone would pass on the opportunity to say "DAMMIT Bobby!" personally, but ymmv

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

Fried Chicken posted:

Jindal strikes me more as a Cousin Oliver, anyway.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Dr. Tough posted:

I know a guy who chose his English name because he liked the way his teacher wrote it on the blackboard in South Korea. Bringing up Piyush "Bobby" Jindal's first name is just as dumb as emphasizing Barack HUSSEIN Obama.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I have moved Paul Ryan to the list of people who are not running.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

The Warszawa posted:

See also Ted Cruz.

Making fun of Ted Cruz for his name is like making fun of Donald Trump for his education.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
USNews.com reporting on the best of Mike Huckabee's folksy new campaign(?) book.

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/run-2016/2015/01/08/the-best-of-mike-huckabees-book?int=a14709&int=a34c09

quote:

Mike Huckabee's new book "God, Guns, Grits and Gravy" is packed with plentiful references to each of those four cultural staples.

But the former Arkansas governor and Fox News talk show host also has a good deal to say about every other corner of American life, from Beyonce and Jay-Z, to the indignity of being frisked at the airport to his ongoing fisticuffs with a combative Washington political organization.

Huckabee's tome is set for release later this month, when he will embark on an eight-state tour to promote it at the same time he mulls a 2016 presidential campaign.

U.S. News obtained an early copy of the book. Here are the five best vignettes from it:

[READ: What Does Mike Huckabee Really Believe?]

1. "Jay-Z, The Pimp"

Huckabee hardly leaves a celebrity spared in his riffs on the corrosive effects of Hollywood culture, but he saves special scorn for hip-hop's most famous couple, Jay-Z and Beyonce. Huckabee compared the duo's 2013 Grammy Award performance to watching "foreplay."
"My reaction: Why? Beyonce is incredibly talented – gifted, in fact. She has an exceptional set of pipes and can actually sing. She is a terrific dancer – without the explicit moves best left for the privacy of her bedroom. Jay-Z is a very shrewd businessman, but I wonder: Does it occur to him that he is arguably crossing the line from husband to pimp by exploiting his wife as a sex object?"

2. "The claim that same-sex marriage is destroying society is actually greatly overstated."

Yes, that is a statement from Huckabee, the longtime foe of gay marriage who has threatened to leave the Republican Party if it abandons its opposition to it. He devotes an entire chapter to same-sex nuptials, laying out his Biblical-based rationale for his position as well as raising several hypothetical scenarios about the future of the institution of marriage. But he appears to pour cold water on the oft-cited conservative argument that allowing gay marriage would damage heterosexual unions.
"Marriage as an institution is not so much threatened by same-sex couples as it is by heterosexuals' increasing indifference to it."

But don't expect Huckabee to hop on the gay marriage train. He laments a court system that is forcing businesses to cater to gay weddings, even if violates their own religious beliefs. Given the current trend in judicial and public opinion, he floats the possibility of a future that expands marriage to more than two people.
"Shouldn't a bisexual be able to have both a male and female spouse? Wouldn't restricting that person access to both genders be denying the bisexual his or her marriage 'equality?'"

Huckabee still fears the slide toward marriage equality is devaluing the entire tradition, but he also concedes that the true impact of gay marriage is unknown.
"When advocates of same-sex marriage say, 'What's the harm?' the honest reply is that at this point, we simply don't have enough reliable accumulated data to be able to say."

That's a considerable concession for such an unflinching figure at the helm of the culture war.

3. The Club for Growth are "suicide bombers."
When Huckabee quit his Fox News show last Saturday to announce his serious consideration of another White House campaign, the anti-tax group Club for Growth was quickly out of the gate vowing it would again shine light on this fiscal record, which they find to be reckless.

The Club was a primary antagonist in Huckabee's 2008 foray, spending a million dollars against him in the early nominating states of Iowa and South Carolina. But Huckabee reveals that after that election, he sat down with the Club's leaders in Washington to find common ground.
"It didn't go well. The club staff couldn't give credible reasons for attacking the fact that revenue in Arkansas had to be raised in order to build roads; an initiative that had been approved by 80 percent of the voters, when both Mitt Romney in Massachusetts and Ronald Reagan in California had done the same as governors."

If Huckabee runs, the Club will be at the fore of his opposition again. And the relationship isn't likely to thaw given the way he describes them in his book. He refers to conservative groups like the Club that take aim at fellow Republicans as "suicide bombers." He even draws an analogy to Nidal Hasan, the U.S. Army officer who opened fire on his fellow soldiers at Fort Hood in 2009, killing 14 people.
"I really don't think Nidal Hasan is the role model the GOP wants to emulate. We should leave the kind of Sunni/Shiite fights for the real jihadists. The goal of conservatives should be to build up America – not blow up the Republican Party."

4. John Edwards was right.
Serial adulterer. Notorious liar. All-around con man. Those are all words Huckabee uses to describe John Edwards, the former Democratic presidential candidate and one-term senator.

But he actually applauds Edwards, who admitted fathering a child of his mistress, for his description of the "Two Americas," one of prosperity and the other of poverty.
"Edwards and I would certainly disagree as to the remedies for this problem, but he did describe it well, despite the scorn he got from some of the finer tables at Republican gatherings, where they couldn't imagine anyone actually living in poverty in the United States. They certainly didn't know anyone like that, not personally. Their seeming indifference to the struggling class had far more to do with why Republicans lost elections than did awkward, inopportune or even indefensible comments from candidates."

This reveals the populist streak that makes Huckabee a more complex and potentially appealing contender in 2016. Having grown up poor in Arkansas, he is well-positioned to address economic stratification in a very personal, visceral way. That, in combination with his inherent cultural conservatism, is what makes him such a potent candidate in southern states and portions of the Midwest.

5. Chapter 10: "Bend Over and Take It Like a Prisoner!"
Simply the most eye-popping title chapter in Huckabee's book. It's an innuendo to the burdensome security process at America's airports where travelers are "ordered to stand still, put up [their] hands and have [their] personal belongings taken and searched without warrant or probable cause."
"After years of his indignity, much of the flying public thinks little of it, and they usually don't complain. They just dutifully stand there, bend over, and take it like a prisoner."

While many on Twitter reacted with laughter or disbelief, some found it offensive.

He's dangerous! He's a Reasonable Conservative who cares about the poor!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

costareports posted:

According to several ppl who have spoken with Ann Romney in the last wk, she is encouraging Mitt to run. "All in," one friend says.
Romney made clear to Ryan over wknd that he's preparing to get in the race, per sources close to both

I can't believe this is finally really happening.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

We'll know its a lock once Tagg Romeny re-iterates his commitment to rush the stage and punch the democratic candidate.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

But I've heard how once he delivered on his tax cuts über Alles policy the state's going to poo poo.

The post Katrina Ethnic CleansingDemographic Restructuring hosed this state up. Billmon pointed out that if the demographics had changed sooner David Duke would have been elected Senator.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
How do you keep topping yourself, America. HOW.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Delta-Wye posted:

What exactly has Santorum accomlished? As far as I can tell, it seems like he's been doing nothing but losing elections and siring broken babies for nearly the last decade.

I think he ran a really good candy desk when it was his turn.

e: gently caress that, Mark Kirk ran it until this year and it had Jelly Belly. That trumps anything Santorum (or now Pat Toomey) can get from their home state

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Pinterest Mom posted:

Mitt Happens

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Seriously. Before Santorum, everyone kept lovely individually wrapped hard candies. He established the use of good stuff, like Hershey products.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candy_Desk

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Oh man the Mitt train is going to get derailed hard by a certain other northeast governor.

quote:

CONCORD - George Pataki says he's "very strongly inclined to run" for the White House.

And in an interview Monday with NH1, the former three-term Republican governor of New York said it was "outrageous" that the Obama Administration didn't send a high profile representative to Sunday's massive anti-terrorism rally in France.

Pataki spent Sunday and Monday making the rounds in New Hampshire, his third visit to the first-in-the-nation primary state in the past couple of months. Pataki, who considered but eventually decided against presidential bids in 2008 and 2012, said that "this time is very different because the situation in Washington is far worse. It has grown way too powerful, too big, too intrusive, too expensive, and it just continues to try and dominate so many elements of the peoples' lives in a way that I think is horribly wrong. And you look at the globe, and as I said, it's the most dangerous situation we've been in since September 11."

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
At this point it'll probably be easier to hold debates for the three republicans not running.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

At this point it'll probably be easier to hold debates for the three republicans not running.

The RNC has said they'll bar candidates who run in unsanctioned debates from participating in sanctioned ones. It's possible that we'll end up with rival debate circuits with different sets of candidates.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Chamale posted:

The RNC has said they'll bar candidates who run in unsanctioned debates from participating in sanctioned ones. It's possible that we'll end up with rival debate circuits with different sets of candidates.

Reagan be praised! :woop:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

shadow puppet of a posted:

We'll know its a lock once Tagg Romeny re-iterates his commitment to rush the stage and punch the democratic candidate.

Please don't slander Taggart. That was Josh.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Chamale posted:

the republican candidate will be decided in the old fashioned way: by rising up the ranks of unsanctioned cockfighting circuits to get a shot at the title

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Rodatose posted:

the republican candidate will be decided in the old fashioned way: by rising up the ranks of unsanctioned cockfighting circuits to get a shot at the title

Surely you mean chicken boxing as cockfighting is illegal and inhumane.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Another wrinkle to consider: as part of the Veepstakes, Romney had potential running mates turn over records. So Mitt's got (binders full of) opposition research on Rubio and Pawlenty. Christie refused.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Joementum posted:

Christie refused.

:tinfoil:

He knew.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Joementum posted:

Another wrinkle to consider: as part of the Veepstakes, Romney had potential running mates turn over records. So Mitt's got (binders full of) opposition research on Rubio and Pawlenty. Christie refused.

pleaseohpleaseohplease

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
i just want him not to run and a disaffected staffer link the whole thing

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Wait weren't all the "code names" for potential VP picks fish?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

mooyashi posted:

Wait weren't all the "code names" for potential VP picks fish?

Yup.

Christie = Pufferfish
Pawlenty = Lakefish
Portman = Filet-o-Fish
Rubio = Pescado
Ryan = Fishconsin

They kind of ran out of steam at the end there.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Has Pawlenty even shown any interest in running yet?

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Yeah nobody would be able to crack that code :rolleyes:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The fish codename stuff is one of the ways you can tell, absolutely and completely, that our lives are not real and we're in some kind of satirical story about politics in whatever the real world is actually like. Every time I read the word Fishconsin, I remember that United States political theater cannot possibly be anything but an actual stage play.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Pinterest Mom posted:

Pinterest Mom posted:

Oh man the Mitt train is going to get derailed hard by a certain other northeast governor.

:laffo:

The Cuomo effect is biting the GOP in the rear end hard and it is so. loving. glorious. I can't WAIT for 2016. :allears:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Gen. Ripper posted:

:laffo:

The Cuomo effect is biting the GOP in the rear end hard and it is so. loving. glorious. I can't WAIT for 2016. :allears:

"The Cuomo Effect"? What does he have to do with it besides losing to Pataki in 1994?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrAClassAct
Apr 10, 2012
more on pufferfish:

quote:

Ted Newton, managing Project Goldfish under Myers, had come into the vet liking Christie for his brashness and straight talk. Now, surveying the sum and substance of what the team was finding, Newton told his colleagues, If Christie had been in the nomination fight against us, we would have destroyed him—he wouldn’t be able to run for governor again. When you look below the surface, Newton said, it’s not pretty.

• Locked thread