Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Spooky Hyena posted:

It was always a myth so no. Unless the met police are on your side, obviously.

So the Scotsman has to be black, then?

E: January 1930 - the Indian National Congress publishes its declaration of independence from the British Empire.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

baka kaba posted:

It's like Guavanaut says, it's the nuclear option - they just want to threaten people with the abolition of the institution of marriage, just to please them. It's meant to incite a backlash

Aaah. I always saw it as kind of the other way round - threatening the church with 'if you're not going to share then you can't marry anyone'.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
The median graduate starting salary paid by top employers is now £30k, apparently, and there will be more graduate positions available than there have been in any other year during this decade. Maybe Gideon will get his growth-fuelled tax revenues after all.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs/11339164/Graduates-could-earn-typical-starting-salary-of-30000.html

quote:

Students who gain their university degree this year could start work on a typical salary of £30,000, according to new research.
Discount supermarket giant Aldi is said to be among the biggest payers outside the City, with starting wages of up to £42,000 on offer for trainee managers.
The figures, from the 10th annual Graduate Market study, revealed that nearly a third of graduate jobs at Britain’s top 100 employers pay more than £35,000.
And four well-known investment banks are said to offer basic salaries of between £45,000 and £50,000.
The research claimed that university students graduating this summer were likely to enter a “buoyant” jobs market with the most opportunities available since 2005.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

LemonDrizzle posted:

The median graduate starting salary paid by top employers is now £30k, apparently, and there will be more graduate positions available than there have been in any other year during this decade. Maybe Gideon will get his growth-fuelled tax revenues after all.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs/11339164/Graduates-could-earn-typical-starting-salary-of-30000.html

I'm not noticing the employers tripping over themselves to hire me on 30k

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

ThomasPaine posted:

Are you a top graduate?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

LemonDrizzle posted:

Load of utter rubbish - most employers will only offer a starting salary of £18k to graduates, despite the cost of living increasing by the day. It's only major companies or banks that offer £30k - and you're expected to jump through loving hoops to get it. They generally also only offer a handful of places.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

II was reading an article on the BBC about security or some poo poo but I couldn't really concentrate due to their use of a picture of David Cameron's face in front of a sign saying "a Britain living within its means" because that's possibly the least inspiring image/slogan on the planet.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

gently caress everything:

US owners of Cadbury 'secretly change' Creme Egg recipe

quote:

The American food giant that owns Cadbury's is facing strong criticism for "secretly" rolling out a new "cheap-tasting" Creme Egg.

Kraft Foods has replaced the hugely popular Cadbury's Dairy Milk shell with one made from a standard cocoa mix chocolate, according to The Sun newspaper.

A spokesman for Kraft told the newspaper:

It's no longer Dairy Milk. It's similar, but not exactly Diary Milk. We tested the new one with consumers. It was found to be the best one for the Creme Egg, which is why we've used it this year.
The Creme Egg has never been called the Cadbury's Dairy Milk Creme Egg. We have never played on the fact that Dairy Milk chocolate was used.
– Spokesman

The Sun reports that fans of the egg-shaped chocolate treat - first launched 43 years ago- are angry with the change, with one saying online; "the chocolate tastes cheap, like chocolate liquors. I'm so disappointed - they've been my favourite treat for years.

Is nothing sacred in the face of capitalism?

The only answer is Full Communism now, let this be the signal of our revolution!

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

tentish klown posted:

Are you a top graduate?

My undergrad is a bit flimsy (middle of the road 2.1) but it's from a pretty prestigious institution. But I also have a pretty strong masters, so on balance yeah I'm probably ahead of the mean.

e: fat lot of good it's doing me

TinTower posted:

Also, I've only ever seen the whole "abolish marriage and give everyone civil unions" argument used by homophobes, so it's not an endearing argument at all.

How exactly is trying to standardise all formal relationships regardless of gender and sexuality, so that everyone can be guaranteed equal protection and legitimacy under the law, homophobic in any way? No one is saying 'gay people shouldn't marry', they're saying 'no one should marry because as an institution it's (at best) a quasi-religious arrangement that reinforces backward ideas about gender roles and obligations (and therefore, implicitly, inherent differences) while retaining legitimacy under the law'. Keep marriage for those who want it, but remove its legal relevance. Make sure it's the kind of thing people only do if they're committed religious types. Gradually it will be phased out naturally because the population just keeps getting more athiest.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

ThomasPaine posted:

Nor am I, noticeably, although I was jobhunting in a slightly shittier job market 6-9 months ago.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

WMain00 posted:

Load of utter rubbish - most employers will only offer a starting salary of £18k to graduates, despite the cost of living increasing by the day. It's only major companies or banks that offer £30k - and you're expected to jump through loving hoops to get it. They generally also only offer a handful of places.

In 2012 I got a graduate job with a large corp, it paid £24k and that was supposedly pretty good money for non-financial sector. I think the yearly intake for that was about 20 people. £30k average is probably complete horseshit.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Pasco posted:

gently caress everything:

US owners of Cadbury 'secretly change' Creme Egg recipe

Is nothing sacred in the face of capitalism?

The only answer is Full Communism now, let this be the signal of our revolution!

What kind of person sees the words "cadburys creme egg" and doesn't expect the chocolate part to be cadburys? Never should have sold them to the yanks.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, if it's American chocolate, it will literally taste like vomit.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Prince John posted:

Are you still allowed to kill a Scotsman armed with a bow and arrow, except on Sundays, or whatever that wacky law was?

That's for English people based in Chester, from certain turrets, after midnight, against Welsh people.

WMain00 posted:

If one of the most partisan papers in the country says it, then it has to be true!

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Seaside Loafer has been visiting London:

Disgusting moment a man went for a 'number two' at a bus stop - next to a bathroom shop

CCTV footage from a bathroom shop in Blackheath, London, which sells toilets and bathroom fittings, captured the moment a man went for a "number 2" in the shelter.

The black and white clip shows the man pull down his trousers, sit down in the bus shelter and do his business before cleaning himself and throwing the waste on the floor.

After doing his business, the unnamed man then waited for the bus before boarding – without making any effort to clean his mess.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Disgusting-moment-man-went-8216-number-8217-bus/story-25842265-detail/story.html

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

WMain00 posted:

Not sure why you're calling it utter rubbish when the piece clearly says it's about "graduate jobs at Britain’s top 100 employers."

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, if it's American chocolate, it will literally taste like vomit.

American chocolate does indeed taste loving vile. I don't know what the hell they do with it, since it's sort of the birthplace of chocolate, but it's disgusting. Tastes incredibly cheap and has a weird texture and aftertaste and it's sort of making me feel ill just thinking about it.

We may not do much right but we do know how to make chocolate.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Dairy milk is still not particularly high quality chocolate as it is full of vegetable oil.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Gilganixon posted:

In 2012 I got a graduate job with a large corp, it paid £24k and that was supposedly pretty good money for non-financial sector. I think the yearly intake for that was about 20 people. £30k average is probably complete horseshit.

Or it's an average that's hugely inflated by a relatively small number of people making megabucks. A grad job at Deutschebank is like 39-50k basic + potentially close to 100% annual salary bonus in year 1.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

JFairfax posted:

Seaside Loafer has been visiting London:

Disgusting moment a man went for a 'number two' at a bus stop - next to a bathroom shop

CCTV footage from a bathroom shop in Blackheath, London, which sells toilets and bathroom fittings, captured the moment a man went for a "number 2" in the shelter.

The black and white clip shows the man pull down his trousers, sit down in the bus shelter and do his business before cleaning himself and throwing the waste on the floor.

After doing his business, the unnamed man then waited for the bus before boarding – without making any effort to clean his mess.

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Disgusting-moment-man-went-8216-number-8217-bus/story-25842265-detail/story.html
Looks like he is reading the paper

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Disinterested posted:

Or it's an average that's hugely inflated by a relatively small number of people making megabucks. A grad job at Deutschebank is like 39-50k basic + potentially close to 100% annual salary bonus in year 1.

Well it's the median, so no.

It's probably only counting jobs for graduate schemes (i.e. big companies), which a lot - if not most - graduates don't actually get. It would be interesting to see how many job placements this is actually based on compared to the number of graduates in a year.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Ddraig posted:

American chocolate does indeed taste loving vile. I don't know what the hell they do with it, since it's sort of the birthplace of chocolate, but it's disgusting. Tastes incredibly cheap and has a weird texture and aftertaste and it's sort of making me feel ill just thinking about it.

one of the bigger chocolate companies over there lobbied for 'relaxed' standards of freshness for the milk they used, to cut costs. They won, and because their brand was huge (might be hershies or however you spell it) their particular flavour became the default association usa peeps made with the taste of chocolate - literally sour milk. All the other brands copied them, naturally.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
loving hell they are actually having someone eat a creme egg on PM on radio 4...

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Yeah Hershey's is vile, but some of their stuff is alright, Three Musketeers and their Milky Way (which is like our Mars Bar) are decent.

But yeah in general I would much rather have Britbong chocolates. Fortunately there's a really great old-school candy shop in Bozeman (because Bozeman is the best place) but I hope I can get some sent over by my mum or something, once I marry and move out there.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Ddraig posted:

Depends what you're used to. Go to a supermarket in France or Switzerland and buy the cheapest own brand chocolate you can find, it'll be miles ahead of the equivalent from the UK.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Well it's the median, so no.

It's probably only counting jobs for graduate schemes (i.e. big companies), which a lot - if not most - graduates don't actually get. It would be interesting to see how many job placements this is actually based on compared to the number of graduates in a year.
I can't find the number of placements but there are more than half a million new graduates every year (source, scroll down to qualifications obtained). Unless those 100 companies are employing 5,000 new graduates each, their median salaries are meaningless to the broader picture.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wolfsbane posted:

Depends what you're used to. Go to a supermarket in France or Switzerland and buy the cheapest own brand chocolate you can find, it'll be miles ahead of the equivalent from the UK.

Lindt is quite nice but dairy milk is also nice. American chocolate barely tastes like chocolate.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

JFairfax posted:

loving hell they are actually having someone eat a creme egg on PM on radio 4...

I really hope what's happening there is everyone is silent, while someone bites into and sloppily chews a creme egg for a good minute or so, right up to the microphone

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Don't they have put a fuckload of starch or something in it to stop it melting on the shelves?

Dairy milk especially, with its aforementioned oil content, wouldn't last five minutes in a California summer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Renaissance Robot posted:

Don't they have put a fuckload of starch or something in it to stop it melting on the shelves?

Dairy milk especially, with its aforementioned oil content, wouldn't last five minutes in a California summer.

Not my fault Americans live on some lovely continent without perfect positioning on a global weather system which affords a startlingly temperate climate with a high tendency towards precipitation. They still make lovely chocolate.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

KKKlean Energy posted:

I really hope what's happening there is everyone is silent, while someone bites into and sloppily chews a creme egg for a good minute or so, right up to the microphone

more or less

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

ThomasPaine posted:

How exactly is trying to standardise all formal relationships regardless of gender and sexuality, so that everyone can be guaranteed equal protection and legitimacy under the law, homophobic in any way? No one is saying 'gay people shouldn't marry', they're saying 'no one should marry because as an institution it's (at best) a quasi-religious arrangement that reinforces backward ideas about gender roles and obligations (and therefore, implicitly, inherent differences) while retaining legitimacy under the law'. Keep marriage for those who want it, but remove its legal relevance. Make sure it's the kind of thing people only do if they're committed religious types. Gradually it will be phased out naturally because the population just keeps getting more athiest.

You may be overestimating homophobes. They just don't want those dirty fags to marry.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Chocolate Teapot posted:

That's for English people based in Chester, from certain turrets, after midnight, against Welsh people.

There's also a law that lets you shoot reivers under certain conditions in one of the border towns, I believe. Might be Berwick. I also know a freeman of the city of Glasgow who's allowed to carry a sword, on the condition that she comes to the defense of the city if it's attacked. Tory voters count as reivers and threats to the city, right?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Taratang posted:

I can't find the number of placements but there are more than half a million new graduates every year (source, scroll down to qualifications obtained). Unless those 100 companies are employing 5,000 new graduates each, their median salaries are meaningless to the broader picture.

I wondered what counts as a 'top 100 employer' so I found the report:

quote:

The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers
As part of the campus research for The UK Graduate Careers Survey 2014,
18,336 final year students from thirty leading universities were asked
the unprompted question “Which employer do you think offers the best
opportunities for graduates?”.
Between them, finalists named over 1,200 different organisations during
the survey – the one hundred employers with the most student votes formed
The Times Top 100 Graduate Employers for 2014.

So it's basically the most desirable employers in the eyes of students, which may possibly be linked to the amount they pay!

e- a bunch of interesting charts in there, here's a few

A few % of graduates

Public sectorrrr :unsmigghh:

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 12, 2015

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ddraig posted:

Read the Wikped article I linked. It explains it.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Gilganixon posted:

You should bear in mind that the Telegraph routinely describes people living in £2m houses as "ordinary middle class people"... I suspect their perceptions may be just a little skewed.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Cameron is looking at Miliband and saying "you silly bugger, this is how you throw an election":

WhatsApp and iMessage could be banned under new surveillance plans posted:

David Cameron could block WhatsApp and Snapchat if he wins the next election, as part of his plans for new surveillance powers announced in the wake of the shootings in Paris.

The Prime Minister said today that he would stop the use of methods of communication that cannot be read by the security services even if they have a warrant. But that could include popular chat and social apps that encrypt their data, such as WhatsApp.

Apple's iMessage and FaceTime also encrypt their data, and could fall under the ban along with other encrypted chat apps like Telegram.

The comments came as part of David Cameron's pledge to revive the “snoopers’ charter” to help security services spy on internet communications today.

He said: “In our country, do we want to allow a means of communication between people which […] we cannot read?” He made the connection between encrypted communications tools and letters and phone conversations, both of which can be read by security services in extreme situations and with a warrant from the home secretary.

But companies such as WhatsApp have remained committed to keeping their services encrypted and unable to be read by authorities, a project which has stepped up in the wake of the Edward Snowden’s revelations on NSA surveillance.

And privacy groups have repeatedly criticised attempts to limit the use of privacy tools in the name of security. When the government announced plans to crack down on the dark net, for example, but privacy groups have warned that much of the tools are used by people in oppressed countries and victims of crime to stay safe.

I think goddamntwisto said in a previous MT that he wouldn't expect Cameron to do something like this. He's too optimistic, imo.

e: found the post:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

A ban on strong encryption would make almost every computer and phone sold this century illegal, and outside of a few fevered EFF types and the occasional "New technology baffles pissed old hack" type, nobody's proposing such a thing.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 12, 2015

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jedit posted:

As were the English. In fact, if you look at the history of the language it's more accurate to say that the people of Britain have stolen all kinds of words from the people who came to abuse them, not the other way round. Which should come as no surprise to anyone - when you conquer a people you do it to impose your culture and language on them, not the other way round.

I must have missed the bit where the Mughal Empire invaded and subjugated us and made us use words like 'nabob' and 'bungalow' .

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TinTower posted:

Cameron is looking at Miliband and saying "you silly bugger, this is how you throw an election":

I think goddamntwisto said in a previous MT that he wouldn't expect Cameron to do something like this. He's too optimistic, imo.

e: found the post:

quote:

He said: “In our country, do we want to allow a means of communication between people which […] we cannot read?”

I think you mean "which I cannot read." Those of us having the conversation can read it just fine. You can't read it because it's not for you.

I mean really if you weren't a senior Tory official I might just think you were a massive perv or somethOHWAIT.

feedmegin posted:

I must have missed the bit where the Mughal Empire invaded and subjugated us and made us use words like 'nabob' and 'bungalow' .

Nabob is a word?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

TinTower posted:

You may be overestimating homophobes. They just don't want those dirty fags to marry.

Poisoning the well a bit to throw the whole thing out just based on this, surely?

• Locked thread