Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Chilichimp posted:

This year, maybe, the point is we don't know what everyone has yet. It'll take 2-3 years to get a clear picture of what value a team got, long term, from a draft. Clowney might actually DO A THING next season and literally kill a man.

The Panthers had not just major contributions, but very good years from Benjamin, Boston, Benewikere, Turner, and Kony Ealy. They pass the ratings test as well as the eyeball test.

And that says nothing about the UDFAs like Norwell and Brown.

Yes obviously wait and see but the Panthers rookies are playing well right now. Part of the late season turn around for the defense was Boston and Benewikere coming back from midseason injuries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

FizFashizzle posted:

It's obviously too early to tell, but Carolina might have had the best draft in the NFL in 2014. I'm not really concerned.

Wow, I went back and looked and holy cow, almost every pick is a solid pick. I dont know if any will be superstars but they are all players who could mature into above replacement level players.

This also caused me to look at other Carolina drafts. Holy gently caress 2005 was brutal. For Carolina to have all those picks and only end up with one decent player who would battle injuries half his career (Thomas Davis) is painful.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

waah posted:

Wow, I went back and looked and holy cow, almost every pick is a solid pick. I dont know if any will be superstars but they are all players who could mature into above replacement level players.

This also caused me to look at other Carolina drafts. Holy gently caress 2005 was brutal. For Carolina to have all those picks and only end up with one decent player who would battle injuries half his career (Thomas Davis) is painful.

Most teams had bad drafts in 2005. It's weird.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

AbsolutelySane posted:

Julio Jones is a fantastic wide receiver, but the Falcons really screwed themselves over with that trade. Also, lolWashington.

A narrative that hasn't really ever held water.

edit:

AbsolutelySane posted:

Also, lolWashington.

My bad this holds all the water on earth.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

FizFashizzle posted:

:smug:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Too bad they didn't draft a strong safety for the following year.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Jesus, the Chargers and Packers might have been the only teams that drafted more than a single above average player in that draft.

fake edit: and inexplicably, the Dallas Cowboys.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
2005 was a cool draft except for Nate Kaeding. Shame that Merriman's knees fell apart.

EDIT: Wait, Kaeding was 04, whoops.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

Eagles 2005 Draft

RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL
1 31 Mike Patterson DT USC
2 35 Reggie Brown WR Georgia
2 63 Matt McCoy LB San Diego State
3 77 Ryan Moats RB Louisiana Tech
4 102 Sean Considine DB Iowa
4 126 Todd Herremans T Saginaw Valley State
5 146 Trent Cole DE Cincinnati
5 172 Scott Young G Brigham Young
6 211 Calvin Armstrong T Washington State
7 247 Keyonta Marshall DT Grand Valley State
7 252 David Bergeron LB Stanford

Mike Patterson, Todd Herremans, Trent Cole are very good to amazing.

Reggie Brown/Ryan Moats/Sean Considine were adequate backups.

The only real miss is Matt McCoy and the guys in the later 5th, 6th and 7th rounds. I think that's pretty good.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Ah yes, 2005. The year Ozzie Newsome drafted Marc Clayton over Roddy White and Vincent Jackson then swore never to draft another WR in the 1st round as long as he lived. Also passed on Aaron Rodgers because the QB spot had been secured by Kyle Boller.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

WHOOPS posted:

Jesus, the Chargers and Packers might have been the only teams that drafted more than a single above average player in that draft.

fake edit: and inexplicably, the Dallas Cowboys.

Colquitt counts drat it, Derrick Johnson and him make two :colbert:

e: Jesus Will Svitek is still around? I remember being surprised he was in the league 5 years ago.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 12, 2015

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Ah yes, 2005. The year Ozzie Newsome drafted Marc Clayton over Roddy White and Vincent Jackson then swore never to draft another WR in the 1st round as long as he lived. Also passed on Aaron Rodgers because the QB spot had been secured by Kyle Boller.
That's OK because I enjoy actively rooting for Aaron Rodgers.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Well Ozzie just thought that BIZARRO BOLLER was his true form and not a strange creature we only saw on MNF.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
Cincinnati Bengals 2005 draft

1 17 17 David Pollack Defensive End Georgia
2 16 48 Odell Thurman Linebacker Georgia
3 19 83 Chris Henry Wide Receiver West Virginia
4 18 119 Eric Ghiaciuc Center Central Michigan
5 17 153 Adam Kieft Offensive Tackle Central Michigan
6 16 190 Tab Perry Wide Receiver UCLA
7 19 233 Jonathan Fanene Defensive End Utah

Holy poo poo, that's bad. There are more dead people than current NFL players on here.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

The Puppy Bowl posted:

To be fair, Jackson took a few years before he turned into a legit #1 receiver and he might not have if he went to a team coached by Brian Billick.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Trigger warning that 2005 NFL draft talk. Terry Bradway trades the Jets 1st round pick to the Raiders for Doug Jolley and a 2nd rounder. Doug Jolley! Proceeds to use the 2nd rounder on loving Mike Nugent.

Bradway is, for the time being, still employed by the Jets.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Texans 2005

1-16 DT Travis Johnson
3-73 RB Vernand Morency
4-114 KR Jerome Mathis
5-151 C Drew Hodgdon
6-188 S CC Brown
7-227 LB Kenneth Pettway

:barf:

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Giants 2005 draft was severely shorthanded because of all the picks we gave to San Diego for Eli, but we drafted

Corey Webster
Justin Tuck
Brandon Jacobs
Eric Moore

I'd say that draft was actually pretty drat good. 4 picks and 3 good hits, loving aced that sucker.

Febreeze fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 12, 2015

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Intruder posted:

Texans 2005

1-16 DT Travis Johnson
3-73 RB Vernand Morency
4-114 KR Jerome Mathis
5-151 C Drew Hodgdon
6-188 S CC Brown
7-227 LB Kenneth Pettway

I feel you man

1-22 WR Mark Clayton
2-53 DE Dan Cody
2-64 T Adam terry
4-124 C Jason Brown
5-158 FB Justin Green
6-213 QB Derek Anderson
7-234 LB Mike Smith

Derek Anderson might be the best pick of that class.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
1-7 Troy Williamson WR :getout:
1-18 Erasmus James DE
2- 49 Marcus Johnson T
3-80 Dustin Fox CB
4-112 Ciatrick Fason HB
4 -120 and 5-154 Traded to the Washington Redskins for Fason
6-191 C.J. Mosley DT
7-219 Adrian Ward CB

We sure did good turning Randy Moss into Troy loving Williamson

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Falcons 2005 draft:

R1: Roddy White - Owns Bowns.
R2: Jonathan Babineaux - above average DT.
R3-R7 - feces

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Durandal1707 posted:

2005 was a cool draft except for Nate Kaeding. Shame that Merriman's knees fell apart.

EDIT: Wait, Kaeding was 04, whoops.

Kaeding is the best kicker we've ever had, what are you even talking about

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Kaeding is the best kicker we've ever had, what are you even talking about

He's got nothing on Rolf Benirschke in the name tool department.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Bears 2005 Draft:
    1-4: Cedric Benson
    2-39: Mark Bradley
    4-106: Kyle Orton
    5-140: Airese Currie
    6-181: Chris Harris
    7-220: Rod Wilson

None of them are still in the NFL.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Bears 2005 Draft:

Thanks for Chris Harris I guess.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Looking into this a bit further, the Cowboys might be in deep poo poo. Here's a list of their FAs this year:

UFAs:
Doug Free RT
Dez Bryant WR
Jeremy Parnell RT
DeMarco Murray RB
Bruce Carter OLB
Justin Durant OLB
Anthony Spencer DE
George Selvie DE
Nick Hayden DT
Rolando McClain ILB
Dwayne Harris WR
Sterling Moore CB
Chris Jones P
Tyler Clutts FB
C.J. Spillman S
Tony Hills LT
James Anderson OLB

RFAs:
Cole Beasley WR
Darrion Weems LT
Lance Dunbar RB
Ron Leary G
David Little WR
Cameron Lawrence OLB

:gonk:

I've never seen that many FAs in a single year. Plus they already lost their defensive coordinator who took a lateral move to go to the Buccs. I assume they do the smart thing and bring back McClain and Bryant but Jerry's done some crazy stuff.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Chargers 2005:

1-12: Shawne Merriman
1-28: Luis Castillo
2-61: Vincent Jackson
4-130: Darren Sproles

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Bears 2005 Draft:

Only because Orton retired on top. :colbert:

But yeah, those first two rounds sure didn't work. Bradley just couldn't stay healthy.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
So today I am sad. Not just because the Cowboys lost on a weird rule, though obviously that's part of it. For the entire team, I feel like we've got a lot of pieces in place to improve on if we can figure out the cap issues.

No, I am sad because there are a lot of articles coming out today asking if this was Romo's best shot. Given that the dude had a Robocop back at this point, I think he SHOULD be even better next season. That said, he's not getting any younger and those cap issues I mentioned earlier may not get figured out in time. If this was Romo's best chance, and he played arguably the best ball of his career, my heart is going to loving break, y'all. Hate the Cowboys all you want, but Romo deserves better.:smith:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The Jaguars don't have a single member of their 2005 draft class still on their roster.

2006 was one of Shack Harris' best years because it gave us MJD. Still have Marcedes Lewis.

No one remains on the roster from the 2007 draft. Or the 2008 draft. Or the 2009 draft.

Tyson Alualu is the only player that remains from the Jaguars' 2010 draft. Once Cecil Shorts leaves in free agency this offseason, there will be no trace of the 2011 draft on this roster. Most of the 2012 draft class is out of the league already.

Go Jaguars.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

So today I am sad. Not just because the Cowboys lost on a weird rule, though obviously that's part of it. For the entire team, I feel like we've got a lot of pieces in place to improve on if we can figure out the cap issues.

No, I am sad because there are a lot of articles coming out today asking if this was Romo's best shot. Given that the dude had a Robocop back at this point, I think he SHOULD be even better next season. That said, he's not getting any younger and those cap issues I mentioned earlier may not get figured out in time. If this was Romo's best chance, and he played arguably the best ball of his career, my heart is going to loving break, y'all. Hate the Cowboys all you want, but Romo deserves better.:smith:

Romo would be the great hero of TFF if he played for the Browns/Bills/Jaguars/Titans/Texans.

Sadly he plays for the Cowboys so the best he'll get is "he deserves better than what he's gotten but he's a Cowboy so I don't feel that bad."

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Why is everyone surprised that nobody from their 2005 draft is still on their roster or even in the league? I'd be far more surprised if any remained on a roster with a very small handful of exceptions. I imagine like 90% of the people in the 2005 draft aren't in the NFL at all anyway.

e: 55 of the 255 are still active, just counting through the bold guys on this list but that includes many folks who had zero snaps in 2014 (like Richie Incognito, Kelvin Hayden) so ...

No Safe Word fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 12, 2015

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

No Safe Word posted:

Why is everyone surprised that nobody from their 2005 draft is still on their roster or even in the league? I'd be far more surprised if any remained on a roster with a very small handful of exceptions. I imagine like 90% of the people in the 2005 draft aren't in the NFL at all anyway.

My expectations werent that the players the panthers drafted would still be in the league. It was more of a holy crap how many of them actually played a meaningful snap?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

No Safe Word posted:

About half the first round then roughly a half dozen from each round past that are still kicking. Of course, that's in any capacity, and counts guys like Matt Cassel or Dan Orlovsky, but yeah, very few players have 10 year careers with their original teams and relatively few at all.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Better to look at 2011 and 2010 imo

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Kalli posted:

very few players have 10 year careers with their original teams and relatively few at all.
Jets had their first 5 picks in the 2000 draft each have a 10 year career. That's so ridiculously improbable.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
The top half of the 2011 draft is an all-timer as far as talent goes. It's only the non-Cam QBs that are total garbage and wind up sticking out like Tony Mandarich compared to the selections around them.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

JT Jag posted:

Tyson Alualu is the only player that remains from the Jaguars' 2010 draft.

Man I haven't thought about this guy since that draft where no one understood what the Jags were doing. Is he any good these days?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Grittybeard posted:

Man I haven't thought about this guy since that draft where no one understood what the Jags were doing. Is he any good these days?
People decried him as a bust for years when he underperformed his draft position, but now that he's basically playing as a 3-4 defensive end (which is what he played in college) in Gus Bradley's system he's actually doing pretty good. He was miscast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

football fuckerman posted:

We whiffed hard this year with two first-round picks. I know four misses are worse than two, but other than that, how is this coming draft another story?

As for the rest of our draft, I like Bitonio a lot, obviously, but I don't think Kirksey or Desir are starters. West will probably be around for next year, after that I wouldn't be surprised to see us move on just because that's how RBs are.

Also please enjoy Mike Mayock's analysis of our first round: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/tracker?icampaign=nfl_drafttracker_nav-tracker#dt-tabs:dt-by-team/dt-by-team-input:cle

Quarterback and cornerback are two of the three positions that traditionally have the greatest adjustment period from college to the NFL, I think you need to give them a little more time before you completely write them off.

• Locked thread