Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm reasonably happy with the rx-safety prescription goggles I got, and I managed to lose my prescription sunglasses during some last-minute Christmas shopping. I need to sit down and take some measurements off of my regular glasses and try ordering those as well.

Is there really anything vision insurance covers other than eye exams and glasses? Even on the with-insurance rate, the price I paid for my last set of glasses was stupid high and I'd be way better off just ditching the insurance, getting my exams done at Costco for ~$60, and ordering my glasses online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

NitroSpazzz posted:

The E21 is going to end up being a lot lower than I had initially planned...

ignore stupid snapchat text

What are the spring rates before and after?

I've never really liked the lengths and rates GC gives with the standard kits and have always picked my own, which I don't think costs much more. You have way less spring travel than shock travel there, and at droop the springs are going to come off the perches. Solution is either a helper/tender or a longer spring, but you have to do a little math to figure out what is going to work best. With really stiff rates you can't just make the spring longer because it will not compress enough and sit too high.

jamal fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 12, 2015

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

Take that PSU back and get your money back. It's going to fall over and burst into flames the first time you try to actually use that video card (well, it'll at least overheat and shut off.. if you're lucky) - nVidia's official spec sheet states the GPU alone can pull 250 watts, and they recommend a minimum PSU of 600 watts. Running even the best power supplies at 100% load consistently will kill them dead in a hurry, and that video card alone will pull 67% of available power if you fire up something like Crysis (assuming 100% of that power is on the 12 volt rail - which it isn't).

I should be fine, I'm still using a Coolermaster 600w PSU from my previous build. I've only played through a couple games so far, but my wife has been burning time through with the newest Dragon Age and Advanced Warfare. The GPU (Asus GTX 780 CU2) fans make a little noise from working, but nothing compared to the previous gtx 275.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm reasonably happy with the rx-safety prescription goggles I got, and I managed to lose my prescription sunglasses during some last-minute Christmas shopping. I need to sit down and take some measurements off of my regular glasses and try ordering those as well.

Is there really anything vision insurance covers other than eye exams and glasses? Even on the with-insurance rate, the price I paid for my last set of glasses was stupid high and I'd be way better off just ditching the insurance, getting my exams done at Costco for ~$60, and ordering my glasses online.

I literally just put my rx-safety prescription safety glasses on. They fit pretty OK, I probably look like Bubbles since they're monsters, but I pulled the side guards off because gently caress that poo poo. I might put them back on if I need them.

Real reason I bought them was because they were quite literally cheaper than regular glasses and as usual I've managed to completely destroy the frames on mine in a year. Two birds, one stone, etc.

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

It's not like the PSU is pulling 100% power 24/7, it only pulls as much power as it needs. And the wattage is on the output side, on all 3 rails combined (3.3, 5, 12, with the majority on the 12V rail on modern units). The efficiency varies depending upon the PSU design, and also on how much of a load is on it, but even a low end name brand PSU will be certified "Bronze" (80% efficiency).

I run a folding rig just for fun, it has a x6 1050t, a gtx 780 and a gtx titan black all running at 100% load 24/7 as well as 8 120mm fans. by doing those calculations its should be pulling nearly 700 watts. The power supply running it is a corsair ax760i and checking corsair link it actually pulls no more than 550watts from the wall.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

jamal posted:

What are the spring rates before and after?
New rate is 350 lb/inch and old was a lot less than that, 1/2-1/3. I'm not worried I was just surprised when I put them side by side. I worked with the guy to figure out a good rate based on a a bunch of reading and talking with guys who race E21's. We'll see how it feels then adjust from there.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Just by eyeballing it, looks like you're going to be real close to the bumpstops while parked, like half an inch or so.

jamal fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 12, 2015

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Wheel bearings on my new-to-me S2k have poo poo the bed, which is pretty understandable as the car has 124k and they're probably the original ones. I've ordered new bearings, but not new rear hubs. I see a lot of people suggest I put new hubs in with the bearings, but they're $112 a piece. I've gotta buy that drat HF hydraulic press everyone has too. Oh well, I have never done bearings before. Should be interesting.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Nodoze posted:

You should watch Gilmore Girls, it's fantastic

Girlfriend started watching this on Netflix a couple months back and I ended up getting a little sucked in to it, not gonna lie. No shame.

Achewood was right though when Ray characterized the dialogue as written by "nerdy bitches on speed." :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Bit late to the discussion, but i'll vouch that Mean Girls is actually a pretty funny movie. Worth a watch, honest.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Previa_fun posted:

Achewood was right though when Ray characterized the dialogue as written by "nerdy bitches on speed." :v:

Achewood is basically an unbroken stream of being right about everything.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Korwen posted:

Wheel bearings on my new-to-me S2k have poo poo the bed, which is pretty understandable as the car has 124k and they're probably the original ones. I've ordered new bearings, but not new rear hubs. I see a lot of people suggest I put new hubs in with the bearings, but they're $112 a piece. I've gotta buy that drat HF hydraulic press everyone has too. Oh well, I have never done bearings before. Should be interesting.

Machine shop will probably do them for $20 per hub. That or find a legit mechanic friend to do them at work for you. Pressing bearings is up there on the "gently caress it" scale

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

jamal posted:

Just by eyeballing it, looks like you're going to be real close to the bumpstops while parked, like half an inch or so.
Yeah I'm hoping your wrong on that. I better have more than a half inch of travel. I'll be curious to see how it sites once I put it on the ground and how much it settles. I'm guessing around a 2 inch drop with the coilovers set to the top.

Calipers arrived, now to figure out what position to mount them in, I have a few options. Pretty sure I'm just going to find a local machine shop to turn down the hubs, screw trying to do that by myself.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Adiabatic posted:

Machine shop will probably do them for $20 per hub. That or find a legit mechanic friend to do them at work for you. Pressing bearings is up there on the "gently caress it" scale

Yeah, but your shop needs a horrible freight 12 ton press and some sort of gear and bearing puller. Seriously.

Meant I was able to do my bearings in the shop at work after hours, on my own time, rather than loving around bringing them to a shop and hoping they don't hamfuck it. Which you would think would be out of the question but the shop I brought a set of rav4.1 rear wheel bearings and backing plates to managed to booger up one of the seal tension springs and I had to unfuck it with my fingernails while it was on the vehicle because I installed it already and they were closed and it had to be driveable by tomorrow. Oh, and we paid 100 bucks to have two bearings pressed, to add insult to injury.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Adiabatic posted:

Yeah gently caress trying to do something like that if you don't have the right tool for the job

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

By holding a ruler up to the screen I come up with about 1" assuming a 500 lb corner weight. With about 5" of shock travel you want more like 3" of bump. If you put on 2" longer springs of the same rate you could take out that free space to the mounts and it would come out a lot closer. You would be 2" higher ride height from where it ends up, but would actually be using most of the shock's travel.

jamal fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 12, 2015

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Achewood is basically an unbroken stream of being right about everything.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Wally Joyner posted:

I'm going to upgrade my current desktop to a Q9550, from a C2D E8500, because that is a thing and apparently I made a smart decision when building my machine so many years ago.
Too bad most people are asking ridiculous prices for Q9XXX processors.

I have a complete machine in that era (C2Q 9550 as I remember) I got from our moderator a few years ago. Want it?

edit: The way to use cheap Harbor Freight presses is an oven/torch and some canned air sprayed inverted for ultra-low temperatures. Freeze the bearing, heat the knuckle, and I've pressed them in by hand.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, that's how I did the input shaft bearing on my XJ's AX15. Slid right on after putting the shaft with the ice cream and the bearing in the oven at 160-170 degrees :v:

That being said, my HF press has done pretty well. I don't know if it actually puts down 12 tons but it's done what I needed it to.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

DJ Commie posted:

I have a complete machine in that era (C2Q 9550 as I remember) I got from our moderator a few years ago. Want it?

Ha, I'd nearly forgotten about that box. Still chugging along eh?

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
Well, gently caress it. i have been feeling low today. and i just found the right pick me up.

I understand that in the US techs buy their own tools, atleast hand tools. Not so in Norway, the shop provides tools to its employee. In my shop every tech has a personal tool cart for their hand tools and stuff, and then we have some common use tools. (big tools and speciality tools) We have had a spare tool cart with 20 year old tools after a greybeard who retired before i took over. ( when the last greybeard retired two months ago i gave him his tool cart as a retirement gift) anyhow... i have been using these worn out, trashed tools since i took over. When i started the plan was that i just wrench about 20% of the time, so i figured i could manage with this poo poo. After getting some routines in, and delegating some of the stuff down the chain, and alot of BS stuff up the chain i now spend about half my time wrenching. so i splurged and order a Snap on epiq tool cart, and a list of the tools to fill it. Normally my shop uses Beta, and aside from ratchets they are doing a decent job. but our supplier just started doing snap on, so i went with it. supplier even replied that he wil have it in the shop for me tomorrow. not bad considering i ordered it 1930 in the evening.

I also ordered 6 new stools and 10 new rolling tables. decided that every tech gets a 3/4 flexible ratchet... tomorrow will be a good day.

Echotic
Oct 20, 2013
I finally finished fixing my cars exhaust leak. I even had to get the turbo oil feed helicoiled. Only to find i now have a power steering leak dripping onto the exhaust , but my pump is between the block and firewall. The only way to acess it is through the wheel well. I fear I've lost motivation at this point. I need to get it fixed before my warrant of fitness/roadworthy later this month.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Two raccoons apparently fell through the screen over my pool. They're having way more fun in that thing then I ever have. :v:

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
My new Mustang:

I'm over the moon. It's mint. Drivetrain and engine almost completely original, save for a mild cam, cold air intake, and exhaust. The guy even had the original window sticker and brochure! 15.5k new in 1989.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

That thing parks HARD.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

So I had an idea today after coming up dry on another round of junkyard posi checks. We love junkyards and we love helping each other out, a lot of us have mentioned they have standing orders for poo poo they need and the Row52 Parts Puller thing has a lot of potential for being hosed by some idiot meth head across the country. Has anyone thought about doing a junkyard wanted parts list? I'm imagining a little script on Google Docs where you'd enter username/email/year(s)/make/model(s)/part wanted and it'd pop you into a read-only spreadsheet that we all could see and keep an eye out for the good stuff. Does this sound feasible to anyone else?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I've certainly hooked goons up with yardparts in the past, and have no issue pillaging the yards for easy-to-ship poo poo.

I'd say do it!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

How the hell did I sleep 14 hours. Wasted an entire day off.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Wally Joyner posted:

Too bad most people are asking ridiculous prices for Q9XXX processors.

If you have a compatible motherboard, this may be of interest to you. Also, this if you decide to go through with it.

Propaganda Bob posted:

My new Mustang:

I'm over the moon. It's mint. Drivetrain and engine almost completely original, save for a mild cam, cold air intake, and exhaust. The guy even had the original window sticker and brochure! 15.5k new in 1989.

Looks pretty sweet, if you do something about those headlights and optionally the wheels. How many miles on the original engine and transmission? A friend of mine had one that seemed great at first, but it used a bunch of oil and the trans was pretty worn out. But I think it was closing on 200k miles.

E: You know, looking at it more, I don't hate either the headlights or the wheels, I just don't think they suit the all-black look.

Doesn't sound like a waste! Catching up on your sleep (and, hopefully, fixing your sleep schedule) can unfuck the entire rest of your week.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 13, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

I was sick today. I wish I could have slept 14hrs.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Today is kiss a ginger day. Who's gonna slip TT some tongue?

:gay:

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

DJ Commie posted:

I will 100% take you up on this offer.

Raluek posted:

If you have a compatible motherboard, this may be of interest to you. Also, this if you decide to go through with it.
Thanks for this; something I didn't know was possible.

Goober Peas posted:

Today is kiss a ginger day. Who's gonna slip TT some tongue?
When I was in middle school another kid had asked me if the carpet matched the drapes.. Well, they're not jet black.

stone soup fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 13, 2015

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

Goober Peas posted:

Today is kiss a ginger day.

Either no one in my life has gotten that memo, or they think I'm icky.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

goatse guy posted:

Either no one in my life has gotten that memo, or they think I'm icky.

Maybe they're holding out for bone a ginger day? :D

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

cursedshitbox posted:

Maybe they're holding out for bone a ginger day? :D

Please. That's every day because I am easy.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Tommychu posted:

So I had an idea today after coming up dry on another round of junkyard posi checks. We love junkyards and we love helping each other out, a lot of us have mentioned they have standing orders for poo poo they need and the Row52 Parts Puller thing has a lot of potential for being hosed by some idiot meth head across the country. Has anyone thought about doing a junkyard wanted parts list? I'm imagining a little script on Google Docs where you'd enter username/email/year(s)/make/model(s)/part wanted and it'd pop you into a read-only spreadsheet that we all could see and keep an eye out for the good stuff. Does this sound feasible to anyone else?

poo poo, I'm down. My local yard keeps a pretty good inventory of vehicles too.

Echotic
Oct 20, 2013

Tommychu posted:

This sounds like awesome idea. The AI community help each other out a lot already, so why not?

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!

Raluek posted:

Looks pretty sweet, if you do something about those headlights and optionally the wheels. How many miles on the original engine and transmission? A friend of mine had one that seemed great at first, but it used a bunch of oil and the trans was pretty worn out. But I think it was closing on 200k miles.

E: You know, looking at it more, I don't hate either the headlights or the wheels, I just don't think they suit the all-black look.

55k original miles. No, really. Guy had a logbook of maintenance and mileage going back to the original purchase. I didn't really care for the wheels in the pictures either, but they do look a lot better in person and aren't quite as obnoxiously chrome. As for the paint it's a metallic charcoal and is pretty flawless. It looks really good in the sun.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Goober Peas posted:

Today is kiss a ginger day.

I missed the memo. :(

Although I'm down for national marzipan day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Alright, that's enough feedback to tell me this needs to happen. I'm playing with a form and a spreadsheet now.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 13, 2015

• Locked thread