Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Whaat, China Mieville is a professional-level illustrator as well? How multi-talented is this guy?!

Good for him though, any way he can get his imagination out there into the world.

Edit: Wait, that byline on the Amazon page doesn't suggest he's illustrating it at all. I think that blog author has bad reading comprehension, or the byline was changed.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Ccs posted:

Whaat, China Mieville is a professional-level illustrator as well? How multi-talented is this guy?!

Good for him though, any way he can get his imagination out there into the world.

Edit: Wait, that byline on the Amazon page doesn't suggest he's illustrating it at all. I think that blog author has bad reading comprehension, or the byline was changed.

Well thanks for the comment about my reading comprehension, and also,

And the .co.uk version:

rear end.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Twenty bucks says Mieville gets the ampersand.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Twenty bucks says Mieville gets the ampersand.

Table of contents posted:

A: “The Auricle” by Gio Clairval
B: “Bartleby’s Typewriter” by Corey Redekop
C: “The Counsellor Crow” by Karen Lord
D: “Daydreamer by Proxy” by Dexter Palmer
E: “Enkantong-bato” by Dean Francis Alfar
F: “The Figmon” by Michael Cisco
G: “The Guest” by Brian Conn
H: “Hadrian’s Sparrikan” by Stephen Graham Jones
I: “Ible” by Brian Evenson
J: “Jason Bug” by Joseph Nigg
K: “The Karmantid” by Karen Heuler
L: “The Liwat’ang Yawa and the Litok-litok” by Rochita Loenin-Ruiz
M: “Mosquito Boy” by Felix Gilman
N: “N—– (Bolus Barathruma)” by Reza Negarestani
O: “Orsinus Liborum” by Catherynne M. Valente
P: “Pyret” by Karin Tidbeck
Q: “Quintus” by Michal Ajvaz
R: “Rapacis X. Loco Signa” by L.L. Hannett
S: “Snafu” by Micaela Morrissette
T: “Tongues of Moon Toad” by Cat Rambo
U: “The Ugly-Nest Rat” by Eric Schaller
V: “The Vanga” by Rikki Ducornet
W: “Weialalaleia” by Amal El-Mohtar
X: “The Xaratan” by Rhys Hughes
Y: “Yakshantariksh” by Vandana Singh
Z: “Zee” by Richard Howard
&: “Ampersand” by Karin Lowachee

(Not shown: a creature whose name begins with invisible letter, written by an anonymous writer who is not one of the editors…)

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
bring back yGudluh :argh:

This isn't a knock against Mieville, but while he's a decent illustrator, I wouldn't say he's as good as a professional illustrator.

Also, dang, the Vandermeers really are into growing and cultivating New Weird aren't they? I feel like virtually every single collection of the strange has one or the other appearing in some capacity.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

New Weird and steampunk. They've edited three steampunk-themed story collections, and Jeff's worked on two books about the subculture.

As for New Weird, weren't they involved from the beginning, even in the initial conversations about the subgenre back in 2002-ish? I'm not a great fan of Jeff's work, but I'm happy they're getting people published who would have been ignored back in the '90s.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

And the .co.uk version:

Oops, you're right. My reading comprehension was at fault, I was just reading the book description and not the actual author and artist attributions.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
:siren: NEW BOOK APPROACHING :siren:

It's been a very long interim guys, but I am so happy to tell you all that Three Moments of an Explosion: Stories will be published on 18 June, 2015.

Preorder: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Moments-Explosion-China-Mieville/dp/0230770177/

My blog post from a while ago speculating on the contents: http://outtherebooks.wordpress.com/2014/01/10/the-new-china-mieville-short-story-collection-out-on-june-2014/

It will contain “seven previously published short stories and multiple brand new, never-before-seen short stories”.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
Sweet! I'll be pre-ordering my copy around Christmas. Thanks for the heads up, Hedrigall.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The bestiary sounds like a modern take on Borges' Book of Imaginary Beings - we know Miéville at least read that since he references it in The Tain. Sounds like a pretty amazing concept to me.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Hoping for some special edition hardcover like with Railsea!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Mike N Eich posted:

God drat how obviously evil Silas is, and how silly it is for Bellis to sorta kinda fall for him. It feels kind of sloppily out of character for her to delude herself in working with him, and its not like she's into his bad-boyishness, she's completely and totally blind to how unscrupulous the guy is. I mean yeah she's lonely, but drat.

I think it sort of fit. So much of the book was about how Bellis wasn't nearly as clever and urban and adult as she thought she was. Even chatting with Silas her narration goes on about what a witty, seen-it-all, oh so grown up conversationeer she thinks she is. I'm glad Mieville had it come back round on her, because I found her really obnoxious, in a well-written way. It's one of the things that makes The Scar drag on a first read I think - the middle sections where you can't tell if the book is condoning her or setting her up for a fall.

:v:Bellis Coldwhine:v:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Got a signed version of Railsea this weekend. So far it's my second signed China Mieville book (the other one is Embassytown).

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Thing One: I may have mentioned it before, but in some rare fantasy casting, this is only person I saw as Bellis: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0931404/?ref_=tt_cl_t3

Thing Two: I read through all of Dial H, thanks to the library, and it is the Mieville book you folks wanted but might not have read because it is a DC comic. A glorious mess, complete with characters that talk like retard infants because China has a wooden ear for dialogue. You can tell the last three or so issues had to speed things along, what with being cancelled. I still think he did a fine, madcap, Big Ideas sort of book, with his own flair and obsession with objects like dials and windows and things.

Also, I'm pretty sure he took the window jokes from the Batman origin edit: http://jaypinkerton.com/2005/01/05/batman-origin-comics/ and twisted it into a serious-faced character that actually worked.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
:siren: :neckbeard: :siren: :neckbeard: :siren: :neckbeard: :siren: :neckbeard: :siren: :neckbeard:

:neckbeard: :siren: :neckbeard: :siren: :neckbeard: :siren: :neckbeard: :siren: :neckbeard: :siren:

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
Really like that cover. Can't wait to get more Mieville, too.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
June can't come soon enough!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

RoboCicero posted:

June can't come soon enough!

It'll be July now, or August if you're in the US.

Stories pretty much confirmed to be in:
* "Three Moments of an Explosion" (duh)
* "Estate" (based on the cover art having antlers, and this story having a deer in it)
* "Covehithe" (confirmed as included, on the UK Tor blog)
* "Polynia" (confirmed as included, on the UK Tor blog)
* "The Rope is the World" (confirmed as included, on the UK Tor blog)

Supposedly it'll have 7 previously published stories and a number of brand new stories. My bets for the other 2 previously published ones: "The Design", "The 9th Technique". However if those are both in, then it'll be a shame that the second Thackery T. Lambshead story "Pulvadmonitor: The Dust's Warning" is left out. On the other hand, it depends what you consider as "previously published". "Three Moments" for instance was only on Miéville's blog, while "The 9th Technique" was only given out in a chapbook to people at a fantasy convention. So who knows!

As for the brand new stories, well I'm hoping for a) something new set in Bas-Lag, b) some kind of longer novella, or c) a and b being the same thing.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
Just finished The Scar. Some thoughts:

I think I liked it more than Perdido Street Station. The characters were certainly more interesting, although once again the most uninteresting and dislikeable character happened to be the main character. I'm sad that I can't read a whole book about Uther Doul because I really want to know what his deal is.

The setting was definitely better than Steampunk London. World-building is definitely his greatest strength. Plot, not so much. I'm past the age where I need every little piece of exposition spelled out to me and treating every twist as if it isnt extremely predictable is just laughable.

Anyway, I had a lot of fun with the first two books but I might leave off on Iron Council for a while. Also, if I ever see the word "puissant" again I am going to have a stroke.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

paint dry posted:

Just finished The Scar. Some thoughts:

I think I liked it more than Perdido Street Station. The characters were certainly more interesting, although once again the most uninteresting and dislikeable character happened to be the main character. I'm sad that I can't read a whole book about Uther Doul because I really want to know what his deal is.

The setting was definitely better than Steampunk London. World-building is definitely his greatest strength. Plot, not so much. I'm past the age where I need every little piece of exposition spelled out to me and treating every twist as if it isnt extremely predictable is just laughable.

Anyway, I had a lot of fun with the first two books but I might leave off on Iron Council for a while. Also, if I ever see the word "puissant" again I am going to have a stroke.

Weird, I really liked Isaac, pretty good reluctant hero with interesting limitations, who didn't really grow or change in the course of the narrative. Though I agree that Bellis was an unpleasant character, I thought it was a fun, if somewhat repeated theme, that from an external view, the heroes of other stories are assholes and weirdies. Lemuel Pidgen, or Uther Doul, or The Lover, or any number of other characters would be much more traditional picks for a POV hero. So picking a far less dynamic, kinda whiny, and nowhere near as smart as they think POV character, watching what certainly would appear to be heroics from a POV perspective, and seeing them come off as lovely, was fun.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

paint dry posted:

Take a shot every time you read the word "effluvial."

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Concatenated. Everything is concatenated.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
"Puissant" has a specific meaning in the Bas-Lag context, though, it isn't just vocab for the sake of vocab.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Any word if any of the short stories will be set in Bas-Lag?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Benson Cunningham posted:

Any word if any of the short stories will be set in Bas-Lag?

Nope. We can only hope :ohdear:

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"Puissant" has a specific meaning in the Bas-Lag context, though, it isn't just vocab for the sake of vocab.

Yeah, I get that, but I don't remember it turning up in Perdido Street Station so much. I guess there wasn't so much magical stuff in Perdido though.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

paint dry posted:

Yeah, I get that, but I don't remember it turning up in Perdido Street Station so much. I guess there wasn't so much magical stuff in Perdido though.

There were no Grindylow in PSS, that's why.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I just finished The Scar via audiobook and found myself a bit underwhelmed. It felt a bit plodding, and I wasn't a huge fan of any of the main characters.

That said, I really liked Perdido Street Station and I'l like to read or listen to another one of his books. Any advice on which direction to go? Should I just do the Iron Council or move onto something more recent and not Bas-Lag?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Iron Council is IMO the weakest of the three. I'd suggest going for City & City or Kraken, they're both way more accessible than anything Bas-Lag but remain pretty great books. Then there's Embassytown which is brilliant but pretty drat different from anything else he's written.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Karnegal posted:

I just finished The Scar via audiobook and found myself a bit underwhelmed. It felt a bit plodding, and I wasn't a huge fan of any of the main characters.

That said, I really liked Perdido Street Station and I'l like to read or listen to another one of his books. Any advice on which direction to go? Should I just do the Iron Council or move onto something more recent and not Bas-Lag?

Iron Council is apparently good if you know enough of left wing history to catch the references, I'm not and I'm not a big fan.
The City & the City is a kind of detective story in eastern europe, very good.
Embassytown is high concept sci-fi about language and is very good.
I thought Kraken was a too much like Neil Gaiman, but with less charm.
Un lun dun is a YA about an alternate london, also quite Gaiman, but more charming than Kraken, enjoyable.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Karnegal posted:

Embassytown, no question.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Embassytown if you want incredible conceptual SF and awesome world building, but with kinda cold characters.

Railsea for :h: characters characters characters :h: and also a cool adventure story which is Miéville's second best adventure novel, after The Scar.

Iron Council if you want more Bas-Lag. It's different as hell from the first two (and even bleaker if you can imagine that) but I thought it was loving brilliant, and anyway it's more loving Bas-Lag. Don't be put off by the sudden 150-page flashback that pops up a quarter of the way in: it's the best part!

The City and the City is just great, but it's way more restrained than anything else by Miéville, with concise prose. Still packed with great ideas though.

---

Kraken and Un Lun Dun are, respectively, an adult and a YA take on "wacky London with lots of weird poo poo!" a la Gaiman. They're fun but don't even begin to touch the greatness of the four I listed above.

Honestly, don't even bother with King Rat.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh hey, which reminds me, have this guide to the works of CM I started ages ago, for all of you, my lovely thread people! It's incomplete, there's a few plot descriptions I didn't write, and so on. But it might be useful to someone. Eventually I'll finish it up for a post on my blog.

I'm so loving great and posted:

Where should I start reading?

You can really start anywhere, although personally I would recommend not reading Iron Council until after you've read Perdido Street Station. Also, King Rat and Un Lun Dun are decent, but not amazing. I'd recommend trying something else first.

Ask any Miéville fan and they're sure to say The Scar is his best novel. It's a standalone story requiring no prior knowledge of Bas-Lag, and it won't spoil anything in Perdido Street Station — the connections are minor. It's where I started with Miéville, and I'm glad I did to this day.

China himself recommends starting with either The Scar (for genre fans) or The City & the City (for non-genre fans).

Without further adieu, here are all of Miéville's books to date:

~THE BAS-LAG BOOKS~

The Bas-Lag books are a series of three fantasy novels, each standalone, but all set within the world of Bas-Lag (and centering around the city-state New Crobuzon).

Bas-Lag is not an Earth-substitute. It's a planet (or something else entirely? The Scar may have clues) with some weird (and often nightmarish) physics, and bursting with wildly different forms of magic and technology. It's not a steampunk world, so if anyone tells you it is, punch them in the face.

Bas-Lag is populated by many sentient races including humans, Khepri (scarab-headed people), Garuda (bird people), Cactacae (physically imposing plant-people), Vodyanoi (bloated frog shamans), Hotchi (adorable hedgehog people), Grindylow (underwater nightmare fuckers), Llorgis (???), and many more. Humans may also come in Remade configurations, where machinery or non-human biology is grafted to them as a permanent punishment for a crime.

There are three books so far in the Bas-Lag series:

PERDIDO STREET STATION
WHAT IT'S ABOUT - Isaac is a layabout scientist who lives with his Khepri girlfriend in New Crobuzon, a vast and ugly city populated by humans and many other species. He meets a Garuda from a far-off desert tribe whose wings have been cut off for a vaguely described crime, who commissions him to restore his flight by any means. In his research, Isaac accidentally unleashes an alien terror on the city and has to ally himself with dangerous forces to save the city.
WHAT YOU'LL FIND INSIDE - psychic vampire moths, bug-headed women, birdmen, walking cacti, seditionist scientists and artists, mobsters who are more mosaic than man, hell's ambassadors, hive-mind machine intelligences, multidimensional spider gods, xenian sex, grime and filth
READ THIS IF - you want to get in on the ground floor with Bas-Lag; you want the weirdest urban fantasy you've ever seen; you're sick of "it's medieval Europe!" fantasy worlds

THE SCAR
WHAT IT'S ABOUT - Bellis is a linguist who has fled the city New Crobuzon by ship, after the events of Perdido Street Station. Her ship is captured by scouts for the pirate nation Armada, a gigantic floating city made up of hundreds of ships of all kinds. Bellis is pressganged into citizenry of Armada, and soon finds herself on the periphery of a plan by the city's rulers to raise something ancient and unfathomable from the depths of the ocean. But that's only the beginning of a much more dangerous plan...
WHAT YOU'LL FIND INSIDE - a city of stolen ships, pirates in pantaloons, libraries, an island of ravenous mosquito women, terrifying sea monsters, a voluntary Remaking, blood taxes, civil uprising, naval battles, parallel dimensions of possibility, a jackass of a dolphin, the word "puissance" a lot, pus
READ THIS IF - you want to read the best of the best in fantasy; you love monsters; the ocean scares you; you thought Pirates of the Caribbean wasn't weird enough

IRON COUNCIL
WHAT IT'S ABOUT - Decades after Perdido Street Station and The Scar, New Crobuzon is at war with the witch-city Tesh. At the same time, civil unrest is brewing inside the city. Various factions make plans: one group plots to kill the corrupt mayor; another party journeys into the continent's uncharted heart to find the Iron Council — a renegade train, once owned by New Crobuzon but stolen by its workers, that lays its own rails and represents the last hope for the oppressed masses... that is, if it can make it home through the wilderness.
WHAT YOU'LL FIND INSIDE - trains, golems, elementals, monsters galore, hedgehog men riding giant roosters, whores and railway workers starting revolutions, mysterious graffiti spirals, puppetry, a journey through a horrifying wasteland which is like a tumour on reality, telewitchcraft, assassination plots, war, gay sex
READ THIS IF - you've already read Perdido Street Station; you wonder what a Cormac McCarthy fantasy novel would be like; you want Miéville at his most baroque and dense

~STAND-ALONE NOVELS~

KING RAT
WHAT IT'S ABOUT - The animals of London have their own rulers which can take human form; and Saul has just found out he's the heir to the Rat throne. Unfortunately for everyone involved, the legendary Pied Piper of Hamelin is back to wipe out all rat-kind... and he's bent on incorporating new musical genres in his work.
WHAT YOU'LL FIND INSIDE - drum & bass, animal lore, garbage-eating, dance-fighting, spider and bird kings, socialism, rats
READ THIS IF - you've already read everything else by Miéville

UN LUN DUN
WHAT IT'S ABOUT - Zanna is the chosen hero, prophecized to save UnLondon (an abcity, kind of a funhouse-mirror reflection of London) from evil. So it's a huge surprise when she's taken out of the picture before she can do anything heroic. It's left to her friend Deeba, who isn't even named in the prophecies, to take up the slack and go about completing all the heroic tasks that weren't expected of her. She has to traverse the weird landscape of the abcity and face off against its many dangerous inhabitants in order to stop a sentient pollution cloud from destroying both our worlds.
WHAT YOU'LL FIND INSIDE - whimsy, silliness, puns galore, talking books, carnivorous giraffes, evil smog, umbrellas, indoor forests, arachnid windows, a chav heroine, a gun that can be loaded with any ammunition INCLUDING abstract concepts, illustrations!
READ THIS IF - you're a fan of Neil Gaiman; Bas-Lag is too scary for you

THE CITY & THE CITY
WHAT IT'S ABOUT - Beszel, a crumbling city-state in Eastern Europe, has a rather unique relationship with its neighbour Ul Qoma (a bright, economic boomtown). The nature of that relationship becomes clear throughout the novel, but suffice to say it's more complicated than borders and politics. Remember, Miéville is a SF/F writer, after all. When a visiting archaeology student is murdered in one city but her body dumped in the other, the crime becomes much more than just another routine murder case. Inspector Borlú of Beszel has to deal with the shady forces that concern themselves with the relationship between the two cities.
WHAT YOU'LL FIND INSIDE - murder, mystery, mindboggling geography, conspiracy theories, secret organisations, psychological SF, two well-crafted fictional European nations, characters with hard-to-pronounce names, Schroedinger's pedestrian
READ THIS IF - you want to see what happens when you mash crime, sci-fi and literature together; most fantasy fiction isn't cerebral enough for you; you like to tax your brain with a good puzzle

KRAKEN
WHAT IT'S ABOUT - At the British Museum of Natural History, London, a 40-foot giant squid specimen has literally just vanished. This is only the start of a series of bizarre incidences which pull museum employee Billy into London's strange underworld of cults, magic, and other supernatural weirdness. And it may also be the start of the end of the world.
WHAT YOU'LL FIND INSIDE - squids, tentacles, museums, bottles, cults, magic, witches obsessed with Star Trek, unionized familiars, ghost cops, human origami, indoor oceans, evil ink, cockney horrors, competing apocalypses
READ THIS IF - you like Neil Gaiman; you want to try one of Miéville's darkest and funniest works; you want to know what the hell human origami is

EMBASSYTOWN
WHAT YOU'LL FIND INSIDE - aliens, spaceships, clones, floaking, biological architecture, androids, sex, musings on the nature of language and thought, personified similes, festivals of lies, the terror of traversing outer space, typography that looks like fractions, decimal time (keep a calculator handy!), George Romero references
READ THIS IF - you like aliens; you want to read an intelligent thought experiment about contact with another, completely unhuman species

RAILSEA
WHAT YOU'LL FIND INSIDE - giant moles, harpoons, hunting-trains, rails, rail-pirates, Lovecraftian monsters in the sky, a sea with no water, islands not surrounded by water, creepy crawlies, drunkenness, adventure, ampersands
READ THIS IF - you want an adventure story as good as The Scar; the idea of Moby Dick on rails is funny to you; you can't stand all the misery and gruesomeness in Miéville's other books and you just want a joyful romp

~COLLECTIONS~

LOOKING FOR JAKE
WHAT IT'S ABOUT - 14 short stories from the first five or so years of Miéville's career; more horror-oriented than his novels, although there are a few stories that are humourous. Features the novella The Tain as well as the short story Jack, which is set in Bas-Lag.
WHAT YOU'LL FIND INSIDE - (in order) supernatural reality-fuckery, building contractors haunted by nightmarish visions, a haunted Ikea store, a secret society obsessed with vanishing streets, gross body horror, word-borne diseases, Lovecraftian things in the cracks on the walls, a man hounded by mysterious and compelling notes, windows onto unnatural streets, obnoxious hackers, Christmas in a corporatized dystopia, more Bas-Lag, a comic about ghost soldiers, post-apocalyptic London after pissed off mirror creatures break into our world

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 12, 2015

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Embassytown is far and away his best work but Iron Council is a close second even without all the sly nods to labor relations history. PSS and The Scar are fun but towards the end both of them start feeling more like pulp adventure novels than anything else, especially PSS. Iron Council on the other hand has an interesting and cogent point about the role of "great men" and their egos in revolutionary politics and never loses sight of the personal side of that movement and the people involved either.

(There are elements of that in the other books too, it's more that Iron Council is the conclusion of the iterative improvement in his writing you see across the series.)

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

Honestly, don't even bother with King Rat.

I tried to read King Rat like 4 times now. I just can't do it.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Pfft, I thought it was all right back when I read it. As far as favorites go, definitely agree with Embassytown being his best, but Railsea and The Scar are up there for me as well.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Benson Cunningham posted:

I tried to read King Rat like 4 times now. I just can't do it.
Its really short and moderately okay. Its not his greatest work, but you can do a lot worse too.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

Its really short and moderately okay. Its not his greatest work, but you can do a lot worse too.

I think it's just one of those things where I was interrupted too many times and now I will never be bale to get through it. I think I like everything else he's ever written though. Even Iron Council.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
I loved Iron Council, but I can definitely see why others don't like it as much.

Dem golems man. This has all stirred memories and I think I should re-read them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Yeah for me Scar is the weakest of the three, and Iron Council is the best. I've only read them once though. I love the golems, and that melancholic kind of feeling for a failed revolution. In some ways it feels like it's the happiest too, for all that happens.