Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Dalael posted:

Seriously, those guys were just bad at their job.

They didn't have Stark telling them what to look for and how to disarm it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Anthony Mackie said that Captain America 3 will be filming in Puerto Rico. It could have something to do with Agents of Shield this season and the whole Inhumans thing.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Or it could have something to do with tax breaks.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Dalael posted:

I must have been watching an entirely different show then. Those guys were 3 to 4 steps behind Carter at every turn. Case and point, these guys were still not sure what they were looking for, at a time where Carter had already defused one of those weapons. Seriously, those guys were just bad at their job.

Your case in point is loving stupid considering that Peggy was explicitly told by Stark what she was looking for and all the SSR guys had to go on was a generic "Stark potentially sold weapons to the enemy but we don't know the extent of what he sold. Hey this competitor of his blew up with a type of explosion/implosion we've never seen before, that could be him." If you're going to try and come up with an example to back up your point at least find a good one.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jan 11, 2015

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

greatn posted:

Or it could have something to do with tax breaks.

Which is why AoS shot there. So it could have something to do with both.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

WarLocke posted:

I swear if this turns into a dorito thing I am going to be really mad

You have failed this thread.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

wooger posted:

I stand corrected, I saw the Enver Gojkaj + rear end kicking female lead and just assumed it was the same people behind agents of shield.
Enver Gjokaj is the diamond in the rough of actors and any roles he gets are completely deserved, though. Dollhouse wasn't a perfect show but wholly poo poo Enver sold the idea of "transplanting personalities" like it was going out of style (....which it was). Just watch the episode where Topher transplants his personality into him so they can get twice the work done. Or where they transplant the NSA mole's personality into him. Holy poo poo.

...I just hope his role comes to more than "well-meaning White Knight with a crutch."

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I'm okay with agents being bad at their job. Seems realistic that way.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

ufarn posted:

I didn't get the impression they're necessarily bad. Just not up to Carter's abilities.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ufarn posted:

According to my source it's an entirely accurate portrayal of old-fashioned spywork

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Watched both episodes last night, and I'm absolutely loving it. I'm a sucker for the pulp era and this is touching all the right buttons for me. The styles, the gadgets, the slightly larger than life feel of it all.

Having two English leads actually gives me a great Avengers vibe. By which I mean these Avengers:

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

According to my source it's an entirely accurate portrayal of old-fashioned spywork

Even though it takes place in the US, the show feels very MI5. It's like watching a Carré adaptation.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

ufarn posted:

It's like watching a Carré adaptation.

Agent Carter - Season 2: Peggy's People

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

jscolon2.0 posted:

What does H.A.M.M.E.R stand for anyway?

It doesn't stand for anything. Except maybe Norman Osbourne's Ego...

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Kheldarn posted:

Yeah I prefer the H. M. E. R. for my hammer pronounced codenames

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kheldarn posted:

Yeah, I believe there was a comic where Osborn specifically said they just chose the name with the idea to come up with the acronym later.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, I believe there was a comic where Osborn specifically said they just chose the name with the idea to come up with the acronym later.

That's right. I forgot about that part. Victoria Hand asked him what it stood for, and he told her to "get on that".

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
A big, slightly spoilery interview on io9

quote:

So how exactly does this series connect up with the one-shot that was on the Iron Man 3 DVD?

The way we look at it, the end of the one shot is she gets called from Howard Stark saying, "Hey I want you to go run SHIELD." So in our mind that's sort of the last thing that would ever happen in the Agent Carter series. You will never see her going off to run SHIELD in this show. That will be the last thing that happens at the very end of the series.

So not a fan of this.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
That's really disappointing. I don't see how they can develop the characters and still end up at that place.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
For those who haven't seen, wiki's summary of the short:

One year after the events of Captain America: The First Avenger, Agent Peggy Carter is now a member of the Strategic Scientific Reserve, and faces sexism from her boss, Agent John Flynn, who treats her condescendingly, and keeps her compiling data and code breaking while assigning field cases to the male agents only. The S.S.R.'s main concern is the mysterious Zodiac, which they have been unable to recover for some time.

One night alone in the office while the men are out together, the case line rings, informing Carter of the location of the Zodiac. Though three to five agents are recommended, Carter decides to go to the location herself. Fighting off multiple guards, Carter is able to retrieve the Zodiac, a mysterious serum, herself. The next day, Flynn reprimands her for not going through the proper procedures to complete the mission, and dismisses the indignant Carter as just an "old flame" of Captain America's who was given her current job out of pity for her bereavement. However, before he can officially punish her, the case line rings again, this time with Howard Stark on the other end, who informs Flynn that Carter will co-head the newly created S.H.I.E.L.D.

In a mid-credits scene, Dum Dum Dugan is seen poolside with Stark, marveling at two women wearing the newly created bikinis.

I don't remember how exactly it's structured... I suppose they could have her show her TV show office her true moxie but get assigned to prick John Flynn right at the end if they really cared about continuity. But yeah, her stake at the start of the short is pretty similar to her current stake in the show in terms of her (for lack of a better word) agency.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007
I had this weird misconception that the short was set in 1949, giving them a bunch of room between the start of Agent Carter and the one shot.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Kesper North posted:

That's really disappointing. I don't see how they can develop the characters and still end up at that place.

Yeah, that is a bummer.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

When they say series, do they mean the current mini-series or do they mean series as in multi-seasoned show? I kind of made peace with the idea that this 7 night series would end where the short did, but if they are seriously implying that they want to do multiple seasons of this and THEN end it at the short, then my interest just shot way the hell down.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I would much rather have a few seasons of Peggy and Jarvis being awesome and secretly solving cases than stuff her into the role of SHIELD commander. It's not even really much of a choice as far as I'm concerned. The longer they put that off the better.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Deadpool posted:

I would much rather have a few seasons of Peggy and Jarvis being awesome and secretly solving cases than stuff her into the role of SHIELD commander. It's not even really much of a choice as far as I'm concerned. The longer they put that off the better.

Yeah, I don't see why this is a bad thing. I don't really remember any of the current Agent Carter cast featuring in the short, either, so it also doesn't make sense to say that the current cast can't have character development. Even if Peggy proves her worth to a few of her coworkers, that makes little difference to the world at large, to any other SSR employees. If you were hoping this would be a show about how Carter "defeats" sexism within a few episodes and then it goes away and never gets mentioned again, you're looking for something quite a bit more unrealistic than a comic book show.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 13, 2015

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

This exactly what I thought they intended, once I saw the first episode and she wasn't already working at SHIELD.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I'd rather just treat the One Shot as no longer in continuity until/unless it becomes explicit that the whole thing is, not just the general idea of what happens at the end. It's possible to get it to fit (minus the 1946 date), but it just involves too many contortions for my taste.

Anyway, these bits from the interview intrigue me:

quote:

Obviously SHIELD is infiltrated by Hydra. Is that going to happen in this series? Are we going to see hints of that?

In these 8 episodes… well I won't say that. Yes, you'll maybe see little hints of that.

Is Leviathan a one-season villain, or are they going to keep coming back and growing more powerful?

They handle the immediate problem… but something is still out there.

Golden Age Marvel is full of insane characters. There's the original Human Torch. There's the Sub-Mariner. Could we see a version of a 1940s Marvel character besides Cap and the Howling Commandoes show up?

We will see other Marvel characters that exist in that world. And that's all I'm going to say.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
So... is AoS going to go into May?

ie will it overlap with Ultron? because please please please

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

BlueBayou posted:

So... is AoS going to go into May?

ie will it overlap with Ultron? because please please please

Have you ever heard of a 22-episode TV season ending in April?

Yes, there will be at least three episodes airing after AoU opens.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Marvel released a new trailer for Avengers: Age Of Ultron.

May 1 can't come fast enough for me.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

XboxPants posted:

If you were hoping this would be a show about how Carter "defeats" sexism within a few episodes and then it goes away and never gets mentioned again, you're looking for something quite a bit more unrealistic than a comic book show.

Going by posts in this thread about crying and boobs, sexism very not defeated 60 years after the one-shot.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chicks like romance, dudes like boobs. It's not sexist.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Rocksicles posted:

Chicks like romance, dudes like boobs. It's not sexist.
Speaking of romance, do we know which theater of the war Agent Sousa served in? Because if it's the Pacific then that pretty much rules him out for being Peggy's eventual husband.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Deadpool posted:

You make it sound like the founding of SHIELD would have her sitting at a desk and doing nothing, when that is the exact opposite of how the director of SHIELD has typically been treated in the comics. If anything, it'd give her more license to do crazy stuff with awesome gadgets. And it would at least leave things open ended because with regards to the MCU we have no idea what she did between the founding of SHIELD and her being and old woman in that bed in Cap 2. The way they seem to be doing it is much more constricting because you know that its all spinning the wheels until she joins SHIELD. There's room for stories, but its kind of limited, unnecessarily.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Who gives a gently caress the acronym of who pays her wages. She's going to be doing the same poo poo.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

Who gives a gently caress the acronym of who pays her wages. She's going to be doing the same poo poo.

At SSR she is treated like poo poo and at SHIELD she's basically the boss. So no, they are literally extremely different.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

ToastyPotato posted:

If anything, it'd give her more license to do crazy stuff with awesome gadgets.

At some point she better bust through a wall standing up on a hoverbike, smoking a stogie and dual-wielding laser rifles while Agent Sousa swoons on the floor near a cackling villain.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

At some point she better bust through a wall standing up on a hoverbike, smoking a stogie and dual-wielding laser rifles while Agent Sousa swoons on the floor near a cackling villain.

I was going to specifically reference this in my post but didn't for some dumb reason, but here it is anyway! Thank you.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

ToastyPotato posted:

At SSR she is treated like poo poo and at SHIELD she's basically the boss. So no, they are literally extremely different.

Her work environment might be different, but she's chasing the same bad guys. I'd rather see her develop into SHIELD boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Mars4523 posted:

Speaking of romance, do we know which theater of the war Agent Sousa served in? Because if it's the Pacific then that pretty much rules him out for being Peggy's eventual husband.

He's Peggy's future husband and a HYDRA member, obviously.

• Locked thread