Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I'm mega jelly, the best I ever got in bench was 275x1. I separated my shoulder playing rugby, so anytime that I do continual workouts of bench press my shoulder will start to ache and put me out of commission until I stop benching for a week or so. Do I just have bad bench form or am I forced to a life of sub par benching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

You flaring out your elbows? I think that's the biggest cause of bench injuries. Weighted dips go a long way. Can you do those? Or maybe some skull crushers?

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
It could be your form or you may not being doing them enough every week, or doing them too much.

For form, I always try to look a couple feet in front of me since that keeps my back straight and I don't do that dumb arch where my rear end shoots up into the air. Also, try to position yourself so your elbows stay close to your body as you pushup. If your elbows flare out, it will make them way more difficult to perform. Fixing these will allow you to do more pushups instantly.

As for training, I do pushups 2-3 times a week.

1 day is always a max effort sets in 2 minutes, followed by a set of weighted pushups 3x6-8 and I increase the weight by 10lbs every 2 weeks. Starting at 25, and ending at 45. Then reset it to 25 again for the next strength cycle. Then I might do 3 rounds of tabata pushups along with situps and pullups. I don't always do the tabata, it depends on how I'm feeling.

2nd day is volume 2x20 normal 1x15 wide 1x10 close. The idea is to do these as quickly as possible with good form. It's kinda like interval training for running. Take minute long breaks for these. Then I do about 78 more in a full body circuit.

3rd day i do strict volume 2x15-20 slow negatives, then another 45 as quick as possible in a upper body circuit. Same thing for situps and pullups. Sometimes Ill swap things around so it's not always the same, but the one I always do is the 2 minute test.

I used to do like 300-400 a day 4-5 days a week and I would only progress by one or 2 every month or so. I cut back on that insanity and I responded much better. I have been pring about every other week or 2 even if I'm exhausted. I started at under 40 pushups back in August. Now I can bust 45-50 in under a minute then grind the rest out during the last half. One thing that's helps is picking a range i know i can do say 40-45, then taking a 5 second break, doing 5 more, another break 4 more, and once I get to 2 I usually bust em out n pairs for the rest of the time.

You can check my you look like poo poo log to see exactly how I train rep schemes rests all that crap, if you want to give something similar a shot. It may work for you it may not.

I've got long noodle limbs too.

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 19, 2014

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I can do dips all day long like a boss. I might be flaring my elbows, that could be the root cause of it, as I may be losing form as the weight goes up, because my shoulder only starts hurting when the weight gets heavy.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah I'd just tuck your elbows a bit more. It might focus more on triceps but w/e you can do some pec fly isolation crap if you want.

Do some weighted dips. Then add more weight. Rinse/repeat.

Besides obviously warming up for heavy compound lifts with low weight and slowly ramping it up (There's calculators online and apps that outline what weight, how many reps, etc) ever since I injured my shoulder benching I like to grab a 10 lb dumbell or so before I workout and while standing straight up kind of have my arm at a 45 degree angle and wave it up and down or to the side-ish.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Christoff posted:

Seems no matter how much I bench or how great of shape I am my pushups loving suck. I got perfect form but I can only do maybe 40-50 honest non-PFA pushups. poo poo even when I was dipping 65 lbs 2x8 my pushups sucked

I do have some perfect pushups which have been collecting dust

EGM kinda got at this in his post but to get better at pushups you really have to train pushups because of the endurance element. Obviously having good upper body strength is going to help but you really do have to put some effort into training them specifically.

As for me, workouts have been extremely sporadic thanks to holidays, end of the quarter grad school stuff and being busy at work and with kids school stuff. Miraculously I haven't fallen off too much and I'll be able to start hitting hard again regularly.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

MurderBot posted:

I'm mega jelly, the best I ever got in bench was 275x1. I separated my shoulder playing rugby, so anytime that I do continual workouts of bench press my shoulder will start to ache and put me out of commission until I stop benching for a week or so. Do I just have bad bench form or am I forced to a life of sub par benching.

Triceps, incline bb/db press and flat db press are pretty key to getting a better flat bb bench.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

And rack lockouts (never done them myself)

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

elite_garbage_man posted:

Hit a pretty big mile stone this week on bench as my workout weight 3x8 at 225 with a minute rest between sets. Less than a year ago I could barely put this weight up for 7 reps as my max set for 5/3/1 now I tossed it around like some baby weight. Last set had to be broken up into 6/2 but still rad I got the first two without even stopping to catch my breath.

Also hit a set of 75 pushups in 2 minutes at 230lbs bw the next day.

Train consistently, eat, sleep, get results.

I ran Smolov for a bit and then switched back to a linear progression for 2 benches a week. I'm pressing 200x5 (last workout) with no issues when i couldn't even 1rm that a year ago.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Going to get out of that ruck run I mentioned earlier thanks to some soft-tissue inflammation in my foot. Now if only I could walk without limping,

vains
May 26, 2004

Internet Wizard posted:

Going to get out of that ruck run I mentioned earlier thanks to some soft-tissue inflammation in my foot. Now if only I could walk without limping,

This is like the exact opposite of Military Painstorm 5000 ULTRA SWOLE PT WORKOUT THREAD. EGM and Deathy are/were training to be special forces and you're bitching out of a run. Shameful.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I was planning on just taping the hell out of it and taking a bunch of pain killers before doing the run but apparently my platoon sergeant thought that was a bad idea and made me go to sick call today.

tcom is dumb

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
i never work out

i just lie about it on the internet

2 minute max pushups 76 at 228lbs body weight

situps 77x

pullups 15x (these are def hard the heavier you are) did 20x when I was 219 a week ago

back is still hosed up but deadlifted 505 for 5 (last pr was 495 for 10 so yeah..)

cutting out strength stuff for the time being to work more on running, swimming and hiking

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 12, 2015

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.
315 maxed out bench press this morning. After achieving such a sought after goal I feel strangely empty inside. Screw it, taking more C4 until I'm Super Swoledier.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Internet Wizard posted:

I was planning on just taping the hell out of it and taking a bunch of pain killers before doing the run but apparently my platoon sergeant thought that was a bad idea and made me go to sick call today.

tcom is dumb

sounds like a good platoon sergeant

whats that like

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I looked at my fitocracy account this week and it reminded me that I haven't been in the gym in 3 months :stare:

I knew it had been at least two, but holy gently caress I have no idea how I missed it for three months. Anyhow I started back in again, with a goal to actually goal instead of just paying to drive by. The day after sucked, but I am enjoying the paint peeling effects of protein farts again, my coworkers not so much.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

elite_garbage_man posted:

i never work out

i just lie about it on the internet

same

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

This is like the exact opposite of Military Painstorm 5000 ULTRA SWOLE PT WORKOUT THREAD. EGM and Deathy are/were training to be special forces and you're bitching out of a run. Shameful.

Not any more :(

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I was really lazy late november and all of december, my gains! Gone! :negative:

On the plus side i lost some weight and now stand at 189 :getin:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Looks like myprotein is doing 40% off again

Myprotein Coupon: 40% Off Sitewide: 11lbs Impact Whey Protein $54 & More + $6 Flat-Rate Shipping - http://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/143672

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Looks like myprotein is doing 40% off again

Myprotein Coupon: 40% Off Sitewide: 11lbs Impact Whey Protein $54 & More + $6 Flat-Rate Shipping - http://slickdeals.net/share/iphone_app/fp/143672

11 pounds of whey for 59 bucks shipped is a good rear end deal.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

But why stop at 11 :cmon:

I got 1 unflavored and 1 cookies and cream (which is delicious) so I use 1 of each so I'm not a super fatty

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Signed up for Gulf Coast Tough Mudder. Haven't run more than 800m intervals in about a year. I have until 7 March. I should be posting this in the Cole thread.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Tough Mudder is easy

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I thought that color run poo poo or SPARTAN was the new hip thing

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Ok been working out again in a more regular basis an poo poo my numbers I have not reached my previous numbers but I can do now 5 chinups in a row and 3 pullups in a row. Considering I was unable to even do 1 of each almost a year ago I’m really happy with my slow as hell progress.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Deathy McDeath posted:

Tough Mudder is easy
You did read the part where I haven't done any serious running in like a year?

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I thought that color run poo poo or SPARTAN was the new hip thing

I dunno. I'm not doing it because it's hip or whatever.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

vulturesrow posted:

You did read the part where I haven't done any serious running in like a year?

I dunno. I'm not doing it because it's hip or whatever.

I've done two Tough Mudders previously. The first one I did when I was in really good shape, and it was easy then. The second one I did when I was about 15lbs heavier and hadn't run in 6-7 months. It was harder, but still easy.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Deathy McDeath posted:

I've done two Tough Mudders previously. The first one I did when I was in really good shape, and it was easy then. The second one I did when I was about 15lbs heavier and hadn't run in 6-7 months. It was harder, but still easy.

About how much distance between obstacles?

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

vulturesrow posted:

Signed up for Gulf Coast Tough Mudder. Haven't run more than 800m intervals in about a year. I have until 7 March. I should be posting this in the Cole thread.

That interval distance should be fine, if it's anything like the previous courses, and you choose to do all the obstacles. It'll be a lot of slinky-effect on the course as you get to/wait for your team to complete obstacles, but it's nothing you need to do half-marathon prep for.

Have fun, bring beer, don't get maced.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

vulturesrow posted:

About how much distance between obstacles?

I think it was about a half-mile or so

vains
May 26, 2004

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

color run poo poo

The color run is for (mostly fat) chicks to say they ran a race.

vains
May 26, 2004

Running for fun is gayer than reading

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Man something tells me the tough mudder coming to Pensacola is gonna be such a shitshow. Good luck vulturesrow I think I'm gonna pass.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

someone should do a running is for faggots picture with an eagle mauling a jogger

like the reading picture

justice4trayvawn
Oct 26, 2014

i use the elliptical which makes me king bitch human being (i like my knees ty)

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
For all the lifting, running and hiking I do, I will be the first to die.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

justice4trayvawn posted:

(i like my knees ty)

as someone who has hosed up knees i can't slam the elliptical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Anytime I use the elliptical, it feels like I am perpetually falling on my face and just barely recovering.