Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

in growlanser II Hans with Transport Wings, Hyper Attack and Expert Trial is insane

he'll kill half the enemies before your armies even meet, he's a good 4-6 levels above everyone else by now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Cake Attack posted:

in growlanser II Hans with Transport Wings, Hyper Attack and Expert Trial is insane

he'll kill half the enemies before your armies even meet, he's a good 4-6 levels above everyone else by now

Good news! It works in Growlanser 3 too (with the caveat that it's a bit harder to set up since you don't get Transport Wings particularly early and New Horizons isn't enough).

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Cake Attack posted:

Yeah; if built correctly Hans will get a half dozen attacks in and take out several enemies before the rest of your team even gets into position. It's like they balanced his extreme speed by giving him short attack range, then went gently caress it and implemented a gem that removes that issue.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Hans breaking the game is par for the course. The LP did it too iirc

As for the story, I don't remember it feeling chopped up but I do remember they do scatter some behind the scenes stuff on other route splits.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It's a good game. It's weird and poorly explained and pretty goddamn ugly but the core gameplay is quite fun.

How poorly? I got Valhalla Knights 3 thinking it was some kind of weird complex strategy rpg but its kinda just poo poo. Don't wanna fall on that hole again.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I'm excited for the upcoming EO x Mystery Dungeon game, but I was curious if there are any Mystery Dungeon games I should pick up before that comes out? I've got PC/PS3/Vita/Wii U/3Ds. It's the newest Pokemon MD worth getting?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Machine posted:

I'm excited for the upcoming EO x Mystery Dungeon game, but I was curious if there are any Mystery Dungeon games I should pick up before that comes out? I've got PC/PS3/Vita/Wii U/3Ds. It's the newest Pokemon MD worth getting?

Pokemon MD (the original two) is pretty good, but the Shiren the Wanderer games are also very good. Less good but still an option are the Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

How poorly? I got Valhalla Knights 3 thinking it was some kind of weird complex strategy rpg but its kinda just poo poo. Don't wanna fall on that hole again.

It's certainly a better game than Valhalla Knights and it explains itself better than that. The closest thing I could compare it to is kinda the new X-COM (but it isn't as good or polished as the new X-COM.)

Like, I'll be honest and say that while I enjoyed it, it is a "buy this on sale only" kind of game. It has a lot of jank.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Machine posted:

Shiren on DS is really good. and there's also a Shiren game on Wii which I haven't played but heard it's suited for beginners to the genre as well as Chocobo Dungeon on Wii.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Got to the end of WA3 and the only memorable thing in the whole experience was that girl who spreads her legs and a minigun falls out. That needs to happen more in games.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Machine posted:

shiren is good, chocobo is good, torneko is good. pokemon dungeon 2 is maybe the best of the lot, though, on a mechancal level.

basically just play chunsoft games and youll be fine

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I've been playing Citizens of Earth lately, and it's a pretty fun little RPG. Very Earthbound-ish. You play as the Vice President of the world, but you don't actually fight in battles, instead you get a team of 3 (out of 40 potential team members you can recruit) to do the fighting for you, turn-based style.

It's got that sort of low-key feeling (so far) that I really enjoy from the first half of Earthbound, where the enemies you fight are protestors, bugs in the forest, and crabs wearing traffic cones. And then you stop an evil mechanical cappucino monster, and the coffee store launches into space.

Plus each of the team members have their own battle quips, their own abilities, and their own talents: for example, the Yoga Instructor (they don't have names unless you give one to them, just job titles) can rearrange your stats, the Cop can give you missions to fight powerful enemies, the Conspiracy Guy can analyze enemy stats into an almanac, and Brother works for FedUPS and can sell you stuff anywhere, to name a few. There are a lot.

Like I said, very Earthbound-ish in more ways than one. They reference a youth with a cracked bat going around beating up crows, your sibling works for a delivery company, enemies wander around the field and will crowd towards you when you get in a battle, and battles can be instantly won when you walk into weaker enemies.

I'm quite enjoying it thus far, it's got a lot of little things that I'm having fun with.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Ys Origins is very enjoyable so far. If it wasn't for having to grind out a level or two before some bosses it would be a GOTY contender.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Ys Origins is very enjoyable so far. If it wasn't for having to grind out a level or two before some bosses it would be a GOTY contender.

Origins is really just a ton of fun. The pacing is fast; you can sort of see it was designed to be played through multiple times so that's a huge plus. I prefer Yunica to Hugo on just about every level though. Hugo is way easier than Yunica but he's a total poo poo head and lasers aren't as much fun as battle axe. I haven't played the third character but he looks a bit more fun than Hugo.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

Based on my experiences I never felt you had to grind on normal. Some bosses I had to beat my head against for a while but it all worked out

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Dear RPG thread, is there a jRPG, classic or otherwise, for the iPad, you'd consider a must have?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mokotow posted:

Dear RPG thread, is there a jRPG, classic or otherwise, for the iPad, you'd consider a must have?

Get the dragon quest ports

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This, although throw in FFIV as well.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Prism posted:

Good news! It works in Growlanser 3 too (with the caveat that it's a bit harder to set up since you don't get Transport Wings particularly early and New Horizons isn't enough).

Growlanser 3 does have a lot of other ways to break the game though so it's relatively less impressive. Combo magic is really strong and you can always just teleport Annette (I think that's her name) into a group of enemies and have her slaughter everything.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Are any of those good on Android?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Wrong thread.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 12, 2015

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Prism posted:

And also because iirc you don't get a super-fast daggers character, slow-rear end Yayoi is still your fastest ranged attacker.

v gently caress, how could I have forgotten "Well, maybe in a few years... but don't you feel at least a little dirty?" Monica. Hugh is absolutely one of my favorite WD localization jobs.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 12, 2015

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

The White Dragon posted:

And also because iirc you don't get a super-fast daggers character, slow-rear end Yayoi is still your fastest ranged attacker.

Monika works. Her base range isn't great but Transport Wings solves that too.

dude789 posted:

Growlanser 3 does have a lot of other ways to break the game though so it's relatively less impressive. Combo magic is really strong and you can always just teleport Annette (I think that's her name) into a group of enemies and have her slaughter everything.

That works too. I did that for a while and she's tanky enough to do it without being all defense. Slayn can also, of course, but is slower.

It isn't really a hard game.

Prism fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 12, 2015

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

U-DO Burger posted:

Are any of those good on Android?
The only one I know about is Dragon Quest 8. Only get that one if you can't for some reason get the PS2 version.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Levantine posted:

Origins is really just a ton of fun. The pacing is fast; you can sort of see it was designed to be played through multiple times so that's a huge plus. I prefer Yunica to Hugo on just about every level though. Hugo is way easier than Yunica but he's a total poo poo head and lasers aren't as much fun as battle axe. I haven't played the third character but he looks a bit more fun than Hugo.

The third character is actually a good deal more fun than Yunica was. Hugo's just a huge drag all around. His story is fun and interesting because Hugo's an unrepentant douchebag, but he's just not very fun to play. The third character is just a complete joy once you get his wind magic, and if you're anything like me you'll almost never use his thunder/fire magic (even though they're very good!) because his wind is just that fun to use.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

King of Solomon posted:

The third character is actually a good deal more fun than Yunica was. Hugo's just a huge drag all around. His story is fun and interesting because Hugo's an unrepentant douchebag, but he's just not very fun to play.

But you can only fight the final boss as Hugo, right?

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Codiekitty posted:

But you can only fight the final boss as Hugo, right?

No, you can only fight the real final boss as the third character, who you unlock by beating the game with both Hugo and Yunica. I may be misremembering though since it's been like 7 years since I played Ys Origin.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
One of the improvements for the Steam release of Ys Origin is that you only need to beat the game as either Yunica or Hugo to unlock the third character, rather than both.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mokotow posted:

Secret of Mana is often recommended. I don't know how true this is but supposedly the game uses assets (or is based off assets) from the canceled SNES CD version.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I really think a lot of the Hugo hate is really overrated. I can understand him being the 'easy' route but people make it sound like Hugo ruins the game sometimes.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Rascyc posted:

I really think a lot of the Hugo hate is really overrated. I can understand him being the 'easy' route but people make it sound like Hugo ruins the game sometimes.

The third character was my favorite but I liked Hugo. Playing as Hugo made the game seem like a bullet hell platformer if that makes any sense, which felt kind of novel to me at the time. Minority opinion I know, but my least favorite character was Yunica, who was still fun, but felt boring in comparison to the other two to me.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Hugo plays fine I guess. I just don't enjoy the ranged style as much as the battle axe to the face style. Also he's a complete rear end in a top hat and that really turned me off. I find myself hitting the advance button really fast when he's going through his "More power MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA" dialogs.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

al-azad posted:

Secret of Mana is often recommended. I don't know how true this is but supposedly the game uses assets (or is based off assets) from the canceled SNES CD version.

Secret of Mana only shows up in the iPhone store, so I don't know how well it'd blow up to an iPad.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Rascyc posted:

I don't think he ruins the game, I just don't think he's half as fun to play as either Yunica or the third character. His gameplay style is really out of place.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I think I decided to play Hugo's story after finishing Yunica's story and it pretty much killed my desire to play Origins. It was probably a combination of me stepping the difficulty up to hard and not caring for Hugo's non-bumrush axe style.

corn in the bible posted:

im walter feng and this is my depressing robot story

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

OneDeadman posted:

I think I decided to play Hugo's story after finishing Yunica's story and it pretty much killed my desire to play Origins. It was probably a combination of me stepping the difficulty up to hard and not caring for Hugo's non-bumrush axe style.

When I played through Hugo's story, I played through the first couple bosses and immediately shifted down to Very Easy because nope, it's not worth it.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

OneDeadman posted:

I love FM5 yet I've never even come close to beating it. I inevitably end up just playing the roguelike mode for hours and then stop playing, entirely satisfied with the experience. I should try to push to the end one of these days just to see how depressing the story becomes later on.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The funniest moment in front mission is in the first game, where you find a CPU made of your kidnapped girlfriend's brain and then replace it with a store-bought cpu that's much better.

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom
Can anyone recommend some Android/Cell phone rpgs? I notice Kemco has a lot are any of those worth playing? Do not want to play the Final Fantasy games again, same with Chrono Trigger or Secret of Mana.

Not really into Strategy types.

Also just got a PSP and no idea what to play, besides wanting to play Sword Art Online.

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

mpyro posted:

Can anyone recommend some Android/Cell phone rpgs? I notice Kemco has a lot are any of those worth playing? Do not want to play the Final Fantasy games again, same with Chrono Trigger or Secret of Mana.

Not really into Strategy types.

Also just got a PSP and no idea what to play, besides wanting to play Sword Art Online.

Thanks.

isn't sword art online vita only?

anyway Tactics Ogre, Trails in the Sky, Persona 3 and Growlanser are probably the PSP games I would recommend if asked, which I was.