Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

It took me a while to piece it together but Alison reacting much harder to her dog's death than most people makes sense considering she's having difficulty conceiving on top of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Also she's facing her mid life crisis head on by not being able to have children.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

beep by grandpa posted:

It took me a while to piece it together but Alison reacting much harder to her dog's death than most people makes sense considering she's having difficulty conceiving on top of that.

Also, some people do really care about their pets. When one raises something from a tiny baby and then sees it mauled brutally, I imagine that would be something that sticks with the person.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Beeez posted:

Also, some people do really care about their pets. When one raises something from a tiny baby and then sees it mauled brutally, I imagine that would be something that sticks with the person.

The whole situation was really INCREDIBLY sad. It's not like her dog was dying/illness or even it ran away, or got hit by a car. The fact that she wasn't there when it happened made it worse - I'm pretty sure this more than likely the only time she had really been away from her dog. So she blames herself, even though it's not, she'll still feel like she could have done something - so all she can do is talk about it.

My girlfriend has to go back to her home country in about a month (for 3 weeks) - and they don't allow dogs, and it's going to be the first time since she got the dog- 2 years ago- where she will be away from him for that length of time. She'd be just as devastated if something happened to him while she was gone.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Alison was the only reason I kept listening to ACS. I'll gladly unsubscribe and eagerly await Alison doing a third show each week. I hope she gets picked up by The Nerdist - they'd be a fool not to snatch her up. Alison has had quite the lovely year and I really hope 2015 is much better for her. It's odd that in her podcast with Mo Mandel they were just talking about Alison's career and what she wants and how she needs to go out and get it. She's a really great person and a genuinely incredible interviewer. I hope she has good things coming to her! gently caress Adam Carolla.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I stopped listening to Adam's show when he was a douche bag to his buddy Ray on Ace on the house. That was a few years ago now I suppose.

I just sped through the ACS Jan 4th Patton Oswalt interview ... and wow. Talk about dramatic irony. Adam starts the show with the very uncomfortable "Alison Rosen isn't here" then immediately segues into "we needed to let Tim Conway say goodbye because of the fans", a story about how people are inconsiderate because they forget HIS birthday; then during the Patton interview he brings up being cut off the cover of the Man Show and how it is an insult that people forget he was part of that show (though granted it was a funny story). You threw Allison under the bus the same way at the beginning of the show, you dick. It was hilarious. Adam has zero awareness or care for other people's emotions and is a complete narcissist. Total sociopath.

I listened to the first 20 minutes of Allison's show where she discusses the notification of her firing. Having not listened to ACS for a good year, it appears Allison is still suffering from a hard case of depression that likely started with her dog dying. Likely it was complicated by what you guys pointed out about Allison's difficulty with conception and possibly additional medical issues based on the fact she is in her late 30s. Even though it was traumatic, it seems that she was bringing up the dead dog all the time and I bet after six months of that and Allison showing no signs of significant improvement with her depression, she was let go. Just a guess.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jan 12, 2015

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
I suggest listening to the newest podcast with Anthony Cumia.

Ace laid into Alison and told us exactly why he fired her.

With those revelations, I've gotta say I'm on Adam's side.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Moniker posted:

I suggest listening to the newest podcast with Anthony Cumia.

Ace laid into Alison and told us exactly why he fired her.

With those revelations, I've gotta say I'm on Adam's side.

Can you elaborate for those of us who aren't listening to every episode?

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Medullah posted:

Can you elaborate for those of us who aren't listening to every episode?

These are the reasons he said he fired her (taken from Reddit):

1.) Adam would ask Alison to bring up bits he liked her doing & prepare for specific shows he asked her to, but she didn't listen to him & didn't prepare.
2.) She couldn't improvise forcing Bryan to take on female roles with Adam.
3.) She didn't want her show to be affiliated with Adam's network because of potential guests not wanting to do her show because they don't like Adam. Adam asked her to put the Carolla Digital Network logo on her podcast's banner, but she didn't want it there.
4.) Alison wasn't using Lynch's news stories he would pick out for her.
5.) She didn't read Bald Bryan's or Adam's book.
6.) She hasn't seen an episode of Catch a Contractor.
7.) Alison didn't want to contribute to the Patent Troll fund.
8.) She never promoted Mangria.
9.) Alison didn't say anything when Adam unveiled his book cover during his show.
10.) Alison never invited Adam to anything outside of the work environment even though Adam's invited her to numerous events.
11.) Alison didn't say bye to Adam during their most recent Christmas Party.
12.) He dreaded talking about Laguna Seca because Alison wasn't going to act interested in it.

Essentially she wasn't a team player at all. Adam wants a Howard/Robin relationship and she wasn't getting that.

Now that he brings up those points I've gotta say that they all seem to make sense (at least the on-air ones).

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Interesting. If true, number 1 and 3 would get you fired anywhere.

IratelyBlank
Dec 2, 2004
The only easy day was yesterday
I think the patent troll thing was incredibly weird. I've always thought it was very slimy that he is getting his customers who pay him (by listening to his ads and paying for his tickets) to pay his company's legal bills when he is a millionaire already. I don't blame her at all for not wanting to fork over her income to her boss to pay his legal fees. Almost all of this sounds like something that could have been solved with a conversation with Alison, but Adam comes off to me as extremely autistic; he is unable to communicate, can't make eye contact, is an emotionally cold alcoholic, and very self-unaware in general.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

The thing about them being a lovely fit is kinda a given, though I guess the fact they spent a number of years together puts this into perspective. The issue here is the form in which the whole ordeal was conducted. I guess it's a closed chapter now - everyone said their piece, and people are on their way to do their own thing, and it's a good thing.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Basically it was "not a good sidekick/wanted to distance herself from carolla". Didn't have bits for the show, didn't want carolla logo on her show art, didn't want to chip in for patent trolls, didn't invite Adam to anything, took favors but didn't do any, was cool to him in general, asked guests who wouldn't be on show if it was because of Adam, wouldn't express interest in things she wasn't interested in. The book cover thing was a reach but my summary would be: legit small reasons and maybe a little revivifying of Adan's mom issues. She didn't want to be there, everyone wins.

Edit: whoa super beaten

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 12, 2015

CatfishClyde
Jul 22, 2001
Orange Rhyming Dictionary
I'm listening now and it clears a lot up, if true. Sounds like the immovable autistic collided with the unstoppable neurotic. It's just weird it took him this long to finally pull the plug.

For those of you who don't like Carolla's politics and don't know who Anthony Cumia is, you might want to turn it off before the guest enters :) I'm not there yet but I already know this is going to go full-on blowhardy racist.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

CatfishClyde posted:

I'm listening now and it clears a lot up, if true. Sounds like the immovable autistic collided with the unstoppable neurotic. It's just weird it took him this long to finally pull the plug.

For those of you who don't like Carolla's politics and don't know who Anthony Cumia is, you might want to turn it off before the guest enters :) I'm not there yet but I already know this is going to go full-on blowhardy racist.

I didn't think it was that bad surprisingly!

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Moniker posted:

I didn't think it was that bad surprisingly!
Yeah I was ready to turn it off (and only listened at all because you gave the heads up) but it was fine.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Moniker posted:

These are the reasons he said he fired her (taken from Reddit):
Yeah, but still.

Giving it a listen, it's at the very beginning of the latest show and goes into a lot of detail. It all makes a lot more sense then. Now the question is, why did he honestly think that he could avoid going into details on this, when they've worked together for 4 years now and most people love Alison and don't know about any of this stuff? Taking the high road or whatever just isn't going to work like that.

CatfishClyde posted:

Sounds like the immovable autistic collided with the unstoppable neurotic.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
She didn't say goodbye to him at a Christmas party. Only Adam Carolla could bring that up and pretend he's not the rear end in a top hat for bringing that up.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Yeah that'll get you fired. Adam could have taken the high road if he had a farewell episode and they let it all go together for one, but they didn't. He should have just poo poo canned her, and said hey here are a bunch of reasons why we did. Woulda gone much easier.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Fascinating to go from a week of, "lets keep it classy" to, "she's a lovely person." Guess those subs went from a glide to a freefall

edit: jfc he clearly ran out of reasons that were understandable very quickly and needed to be petty (and somehow not be bothered by every instance being something bryan did as well)

Tweak fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 12, 2015

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I actually think a lot of those reasons are fair. She is terrible at improv, her stories were boring, and she showed zero interest in any of the stuff that's outside her wheelhouse (sports, Adam's driving, even movies). It's also pretty crazy if she never read either of their books. You do get the vibe that Alison was never really invested in the show or the network.

The podcast defense fund is a silly reason though. Although maybe he also means she wasn't promoting it on her podcast. But still, I always felt that defense fund was weird. And the personal stuff like saying goodbye sounds petty. Adam almost brags about his antisocial behavior toward people and wants to judge others on it. He should have just stuck to the on-air stuff and I think people would understand.

Basically I think he should have fired but also handled it much better.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

lol only two of the stated reasons were legit and the rest are so immensely petty and embarrassing that it throws the reasonable ones into doubt. sounds to me like he was just gettin mad about the backlash and threw a bunch of poo poo at the wall in the hopes some would stick

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Alison tweeted there was a lot of misinformation coming her way today that she will address on her show, but who knows how much of it was directly related to what Carolla said vs people just making poo poo up.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

At least it made for an interesting podcast. Bald Bryan squirming the entire time was funny. Also Alison's podcast will be a must-listen whenever she gets it up.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

Niwrad posted:

At least it made for an interesting podcast. Bald Bryan squirming the entire time was funny. Also Alison's podcast will be a must-listen whenever she gets it up.

Please let the rest of us know when that happens. I gave her show an honest shot about 2 years ago, probably a dozen episodes and it just didn't do anything for me. I've always liked her as a person - very relateable and genuine - but not as a personality. I'll be interested as to what she says in response to this, but will probably never listen to her shows again.

Anyways, I hope that they didn't have Gina Grad on for "class" reasons while discussing this today, and that she returns soon. Unlike Allison, who I struggled to enjoy on the show for a long time, I get Gina right off the bat. In a sidekick role, she's been great. I feel like the show flows a lot better with her on, I really hope she sticks around. She's not amazing, but she's not a pocket of dead air that comedy crashes into and dies, and that actually does a lot for the feel of the podcast.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
Gina came right back after the Alison talk.

She didn't talk much but presenting the news. She's gotta be pretty confused as to how she should act around Adam after he basically lined out exactly how to kiss his rear end and never get fired.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

WEH posted:

lol only two of the stated reasons were legit and the rest are so immensely petty and embarrassing that it throws the reasonable ones into doubt. sounds to me like he was just gettin mad about the backlash and threw a bunch of poo poo at the wall in the hopes some would stick

What are legit to you?

I personally think she should have read both books and should have watched his show. It adds to the conversation. Also I think she should have had bits ready for that late night live show he discussed as well as the What To Expect When You're Expecting book excerpts at every live show.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

JGdmn posted:

Gina came right back after the Alison talk.

She didn't talk much but presenting the news. She's gotta be pretty confused as to how she should act around Adam after he basically lined out exactly how to kiss his rear end and never get fired.
Yeah, gotta be weird. Of course, she has already lost the gig once and has been told others are going to get a try so likely she's also thinking "gently caress it, what happens happens".

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
After hang listened to Gina on Conway & Whitman I think she'd be fine as a second fiddle, but it's going to be hard to be great for Adam AND the fans like us because she's going to have to be completely involved in the Carolla world and also challenge him. That just seems so loving tiring to do every day and sometimes weekends.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Moniker posted:

What are legit to you?

I personally think she should have read both books and should have watched his show. It adds to the conversation. Also I think she should have had bits ready for that late night live show he discussed as well as the What To Expect When You're Expecting book excerpts at every live show.

1 and 3. His books are literally rants taken whole cloth from his podcast, so considering she was on that show daily I dunno how much I can blame her. Especially considering they were ghost written. His show, whatever. He's an adult and it's not like it's his first foray into TV

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

WEH posted:

1 and 3. His books are literally rants taken whole cloth from his podcast, so considering she was on that show daily I dunno how much I can blame her. Especially considering they were ghost written. His show, whatever. He's an adult and it's not like it's his first foray into TV

It makes me think of his rants about his family and their complete disinterest of him and what he does. She's his sidekick/newsgirl who is there to pitch in and provide content, but she hasn't read or watched anything he's been doing outside of the podcast. It's like he said about Howard and Robin. If Howard does America's Got Talent, he's going to want to talk about it on the show so it's helpful for Robin to watch the show at least for context.

That said, I'm looking forward to hearing Alison's side to these accusations.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Grant DaNasty posted:

She's his sidekick/newsgirl who is there to pitch in and provide content, but she hasn't read or watched anything he's been doing outside of the podcast.

The books are literally the podcast, so I'm not sure why she'd need to read them to be able to “provide content”, and the times I heard him bring up the TV show before I stopped listening he appeared to loathe it. If she didn't kowtow properly, or he caught on that she was embarrassed by him that's fine and he should've said that alone. Couching it with the other poo poo he said is absurd.

The point about his family historically not giving a poo poo is definitely salient but he's like fifty and has been in therapy on and off for like a decade. It makes sense, but it's not an excuse anymore

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

WEH posted:

It really should've been 10 minutes of explaining, but she was his sidekick on a very big podcast and really does need to show interest in his shows and books because Adam is why people listen. This isn't rocket science and every other sidekick seems to understand it. Also, saying she didn't want to have the Carolla digital bug on her banner wouldn't even be an option if Adam wasn't such a weirdo about confrontation.

Most of the rest of what he said was very weird and off putting, but Adam is not neurotypical in the classical sense and is also a child. I might be upset if someone didn't say goodbye to me, but I'd get over in a few minutes and would never bring it up to anyone other than my wife. Her putting her Amazon kickbacks into his legal pot reminds me of when stores ask you for a dollar for charity when you're checking out so they can put out a press release about how much they've donated. You could hear the gears spinning in Bald Bryan's head to remember to act more interested in Adam's racing and poo poo.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It just seems like it would be hard for them to work together.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
Its weird to me that you guys are taking her side on the Amazon legal fund thing. Whether or not you agree with the concept of the whole donating to the legal fund, it was about the team effort and pitching in. He brought up a good point in that if Rogan, Nerdist et al. were willing to donate through the Amazon fund, what the hell excuse did she have? She's on the God drat network. Also, Jesus how much could it have been? Whats it like $500 bucks for 100 grand in Amazon purchases? I doubt ARIYNBF is bringing in hundreds of thousands of dollars of Amazon revenue through her link. Give me a break and just pitch in. "I'll donate a t-shirt" is some pretty weak sauce poo poo in the face of $650,000 in legal fees.

His other points totally made sense as well, especially the lack of recurring bits or preparing for shows. The personal stuff was a little weird but he keeps mentioning that overall scale thing and if thats how he thinks about it then yeah that personal poo poo will eventually add up. I'd probably be a little put off as well if I inviting someone to a bunch of poo poo and they never reciprocated.

Man I totally hosed up the math on this but my point still stands.

visuvius fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jan 13, 2015

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

visuvius posted:

Its weird to me that you guys are taking her side on the Amazon legal fund thing. Whether or not you agree with the concept of the whole donating to the legal fund, it was about the team effort and pitching in. He brought up a good point in that if Rogan, Nerdist et al. were willing to donate through the Amazon fund, what the hell excuse did she have? She's on the God drat network. Also, Jesus how much could it have been? Whats it like $500 bucks for every million in Amazon purchases? I doubt ARIYNBF is bringing in millions of thousands of dollars of Amazon revenue through her link. Give me a break and just pitch in. "I'll donate a t-shirt" is some pretty weak sauce poo poo in the face of $650,000 in legal fees.

His other points totally made sense as well, especially the lack of recurring bits or preparing for shows. The personal stuff was a little weird but he keeps mentioning that overall scale thing and if thats how he thinks about it then yeah that personal poo poo will eventually add up. I'd probably be a little put off as well if I inviting someone to a bunch of poo poo and they never reciprocated.

I agree with everything you've said, but I will say you can make a couple hundred dollars a day in Amazon referrals, pretty easily. With a following like they have people actually use it. Anyway, the referrals go up as you sell more items. It starts at like 6% and can go up to like 8 or 9 if I'm not mistaken.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

visuvius posted:

Its weird to me that you guys are taking her side on the Amazon legal fund thing. Whether or not you agree with the concept of the whole donating to the legal fund, it was about the team effort and pitching in. He brought up a good point in that if Rogan, Nerdist et al. were willing to donate through the Amazon fund, what the hell excuse did she have? She's on the God drat network. Also, Jesus how much could it have been? Whats it like $500 bucks for 100 grand in Amazon purchases? I doubt ARIYNBF is bringing in hundreds of thousands of dollars of Amazon revenue through her link. Give me a break and just pitch in. "I'll donate a t-shirt" is some pretty weak sauce poo poo in the face of $650,000 in legal fees.

Man I totally hosed up the math on this but my point still stands.

I didn't think everyone else was donating their Amazon funds, just those on his network. I don't think the Nerdist people or Rogan even do those. His point was he was asking those guys to put the word out to donate to the legal fund. But I assume most of Allison's income from her own podcast comes from that referral link (which I think Ace takes a chunk of anyways), so why should she give up her pittance from her own show?. The personal stuff only makes sense if you're a petty weirdo like he is and shouldn't ever be made public, in any way, ever. Just say she wasn't a good sidekick, explain why if necessary, then be done with it.

I never really cared for her and I won't miss her on his show. I hope her show turns out amazing somehow so I have something else to put in my earholes during the week when I'm busy.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
The personal stuff (no dinner invites, not saying goodbye at xmas party) was in repsonse to people saying "how could you fire your friend of 4 years" etc. She doesn't have any obligation to be social with her boss, and he doesn't have that friendship in the way of firing her.

I think its pretty clear that she didn't like him too much on a personal level and she couldn't at least fake it during the shows. She didn't have to read the books or watch the tv show, but she should have at least tried to act interested and promote discussion during the podcast.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

I think Adam was making a case that it was not one specific thing. It was a lot of little things that added up to a clear sign she had to go. Full disclosure - I'm a big fan of Alison's. But after hearing what Adam said, I understand his reasons. HOWEVER, as Bryan repeatedly asked Adam and he confirmed - Adam never talked to Alison about the things that were bothering him. And I think that had he, it would have made a huge difference. I listen to Alison's podcast every time it's out, twice a week. Alison is and can be very funny and effervescent. She's very on the ball and quick with a joke and she does command her shows. Her ability to be present is not lacking. But having listened to her show, I've also heard her talk about Adam and her relationship with Adam and the whole network and other people there. A lot of these discussions can be heard around 2013/2014 right before she launched her Thursday show and a couple episodes of her Thursday show. She always seemed like she was intimidated by Adam. I think she felt that in her eyes he was an emotional unknown and she was always worried about him getting mad at her. She never wanted to do the wrong thing with him and I think that led her to being a lame duck as his sidekick. If you're too worried about saying the wrong thing, you're not going to want to say much of anything. A lot of Adam's points were just trying to get her to talk - to be more involved with the conversations. I think Alison (and a lot of his listeners) felt that Adam wanted control of the show and for her and Bryan to be a background voice. I think if they'd been able to have an open discussion about what exactly Adam wanted, she would have stepped up. But then again, he's right - if she's deferring to him to the point where not a lot of content is coming from her, it was the best decision to let her go. Alison has stated so many times that she gets uptight and shuts down when there is conflict (she's talked at length about it on her own show). It's how she is. Adam being a very mercurial person, I honestly understand how it didn't fit and work out.

Anyhow, that's my two cents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

jeff8472 posted:

I think its pretty clear that she didn't like him too much on a personal level and she couldn't at least fake it during the shows. She didn't have to read the books or watch the tv show, but she should have at least tried to act interested and promote discussion during the podcast.

I think Alison genuinely did like Adam, she just never could understand him. I don't think she understood how he plays around. Adam fakes being mad and Adam is really mad and she didn't know how to tell the difference. Her personality (she hates conflict and it gives her anxiety) was never going to mesh with that. It's sad because earlier this year she talked on her show about how her and Adam had a moment in the airport. They were just traveling the two of them and they got to talk one on one. She went on at great length how she really felt she connected with him then and how she really felt it was so nice to see a genuine side to Adam and maybe she understands him a little more now. This after 3 1/2 years on his show. She was just always too intimidated by his personality to be comfortable and be a real sidekick, having real conversations on air and feeling welcomed to have a louder voice than she thought he wanted. She's too meek when it comes to his personality.