Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
My favorite thing about Supersonic Warriors 2 was how Kid Buu was on the cover, but not in the game whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Some Numbers posted:

Supersonic Warriors sounds like an amazing game. How can I play it?

First game is on the GBA, second is on the DS. Both work in emulators, of course.

Also one thing to remember about the first game is that each character has an extra battle in their storyline only accessible by beating them without losing once. Also it's not always totally clear in the second game how to trigger the branching paths, so you may need GameFAQs for that.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Some Numbers posted:

Supersonic Warriors sounds like an amazing game. How can I play it?

Supersonic Warriors is for the GBA and lets you play as Goku, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Krillin, Future Trunks, Frieza, Android 18, Dr. Gero, Cell, Ginyu, Gotenks, and Majin Buu.

Supersonic Warriors 2 is for the DS and lets you play as three times as many characters, though most are just the same character in different forms (Base Goku, SSJ Goku, etc.).

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Frankomatic did a playthrough of both games, but I honestly think Supersonic Warriors 2 was really weak in most stories compared to Supersonic Warriors 1, where Krillin can save the earth, learn the spirit bomb and nuke every villain with it.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Any opinions on "Attack of the Saiyans"? I just ordered that to scratch the DBZ itch before Xenoverse since I don't own a console.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

New Leaf posted:

Any opinions on "Attack of the Saiyans"? I just ordered that to scratch the DBZ itch before Xenoverse since I don't own a console.

that game is great

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

New Leaf posted:

It's really good. It's a real proper RPG, with the caveat that about a quarter of the way through you can forget the "Attack" command exists and just use "Magic" (for Final Fantasy analogues) the entire time because they keep throwing free Special Cool Points at you. It's criminal the game didn't get a sequel... but I guess there's still hope on 3DS or something. Beautiful sprites, great animation, and probably the best DBZ RPG there is. Which is saying a bit because there's like 7ish and it's pretty much undisputed.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Firstborn posted:

It's really good. It's a real proper RPG, with the caveat that about a quarter of the way through you can forget the "Attack" command exists and just use "Magic" (for Final Fantasy analogues) the entire time because they keep throwing free Special Cool Points at you. It's criminal the game didn't get a sequel... but I guess there's still hope on 3DS or something. Beautiful sprites, great animation, and probably the best DBZ RPG there is. Which is saying a bit because there's like 7ish and it's pretty much undisputed.

Yay, I made a good call then! :)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
My favorite part of that game is that it actually starts before the end of Dragonball, and there's character-focused little sidestories that are really neat, like Krillin going back to his shaolin temple and fighting the gang that's taken it over.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

My favorite part of that game is that it actually starts before the end of Dragonball, and there's character-focused little sidestories that are really neat, like Krillin going back to his shaolin temple and fighting the gang that's taken it over.

I'm a big Krillin fan so that should be fun. I heard Broly is in the game but it only goes up to Frieza so that's a little confusing, but oh well.. Guess I'll figure it out as I go!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

New Leaf posted:

I'm a big Krillin fan so that should be fun. I heard Broly is in the game but it only goes up to Frieza so that's a little confusing, but oh well.. Guess I'll figure it out as I go!

He's a post-game bonus boss because he has to be in everything now

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I guess because the actual Saiyan Saga movie villains aren't that memorable.

But, I mean, Tarble would have been an okay secret boss.

Also, one complaint about the game is that early on there's lots of solo missions. It takes a while before the game consistently gives you a full party.

Also, Krillin loving sucks.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Black Krillin is a cool deck to use in the Dragonball Z TCG, now available from Panini.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Supersonic Warriors is for the GBA and lets you play as Goku, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Krillin, Future Trunks, Frieza, Android 18, Dr. Gero, Cell, Ginyu, Gotenks, and Majin Buu.

Supersonic Warriors 2 is for the DS and lets you play as three times as many characters, though most are just the same character in different forms (Base Goku, SSJ Goku, etc.).

Does the story follow on from 1 to 2?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

No, Supersonic Warriors 2 just has new features.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

sharktamer posted:

Does the story follow on from 1 to 2?

SS1 has little abridged versions of the DBZ plot while giving each character their own unique What If stories.

SS2 has the canon DBZ plot interspersed between each character's story, but has branching paths that lead to things like Majin Piccolo.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

SS1 has little abridged versions of the DBZ plot while giving each character their own unique What If stories.

SS2 has the canon DBZ plot interspersed between each character's story, but has branching paths that lead to things like Majin Piccolo.

yeah but the branch plots are short and mostly stupid while SS1's are full on "this character is now the dragon ball protagonist" with semi-believable ways for it to work powerwise

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Aside from the previously mentioned Dr. Gero, who just gets beaten like a chump no matter what.

Also, certain characters have special traits. Gotenks will instantly die after a set amount of time, Android 18 can fire energy infinitely without needing to charge ki, etc.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my favorite is in budokai 3, where the saibamen can instant kill yamcha

it makes his story mode a pain

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
One of the PS3 games had this mode (Galaxy mode I think?), wherein you basically played a selection of unique themed matches for every character, with various restrictions, buffs debuffs, etc... usually with their big rival as the last match.
So of course Yamcha fights a Saibamen last. It just never gets old.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Yamcha has three fights in DBZ, if I'm not mistaken (Saibamen, Dr. Gero, Cell Jr.), and he gets destroyed in all of them.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yamcha has three fights in DBZ, if I'm not mistaken (Saibamen, Dr. Gero, Cell Jr.), and he gets destroyed in all of them.

In the anime he fights the Ginyu Force effortlessly, and in the early movies like Tree of Might he gets beat up by an entirely different group of goons, so there's that.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
In the entirety of Dragonball, Yamcha manages to win exactly one major fights, against the Invisible Man. Otherwise, he is always the guy who gets taken out to show us how tough the new opponents are. It's really a wonder he wasn't the one who got killed by Tambourine.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'm more amazed that he didn't get killed by Frieza somehow.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Krillin's death was the big turning point when dragonball became a lot darker. If Yamcha had been killed, no one would have cared.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

sharktamer posted:

Krillin's death was the big turning point when dragonball became a lot darker. If Yamcha had been killed, no one would have cared.

I was just about to say the exact same thing. I'll be honest, as stupid as the whole "Goku and his friends return" movie was, I was a bit miffed that Gokenks used a Yamcha and Tien move and nothing from Killin. Toss a Destructo Disk at the guy, maybe we'll actually see it connect for once.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

sharktamer posted:

Krillin's death was the big turning point when dragonball became a lot darker.

Wouldn't that be the Namekian genocide?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Endorph posted:

I'm more amazed that he didn't get killed by Frieza somehow.

That would have been really really hard, seeing as how he was already dead.

I'd love to see Freeza effortlessly kill him in the new movie.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

My one wish from the new movie would be for Vegeta to reprise his 'you aren't dealing with the average Super Saiyan anymore ..' speech and get completely owned again. Vegeta should never ever get to kill Frieza.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

New Leaf posted:

maybe we'll actually see it connect for once.
krillin owning frieza with a destructo disk is the most useful thing he did in z

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Wouldn't that be the Namekian genocide?

Krillin died in Dragonball before he died in Dragonball Z.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

Nobody watched Dragonball.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I did.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Oh right. Neck snap.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Nobody watched Dragonball.

You are correct! Mostly because it wasn't really released in America until 2005 or so.

I read it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i remember one of the fifteen dubs of the original dragon song having this really sweet sounding english song as the ending theme and i have no idea which one it was so i can never hear it again

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

i remember one of the fifteen dubs of the original dragon song having this really sweet sounding english song as the ending theme and i have no idea which one it was so i can never hear it again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkdO0pIHGFM

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

A Steampunk Gent posted:

My one wish from the new movie would be for Vegeta to reprise his 'you aren't dealing with the average Super Saiyan anymore ..' speech and get completely owned again. Vegeta should never ever get to kill Frieza.

I was on board with Vegeta getting his chance to kill Frieza up until I read this.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, did anyone else get an invite to do the Xenoverse beta? I randomly looked in my PSN mailbox today (which I never do), and saw an invite and a code from back in October. :v: Now I'm kind of mad I missed out.
(This is the second one I've missed. I got a beta invite for Dark Souls 2, too. I wish PSN would notify you if you have new messages from anywhere, not just other users.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Fortunately, Budokai 3 has an extra fight where he gets to clown the absolute poo poo out of Vegeta at the World Tournament.

• Locked thread