Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

fozzy fosbourne posted:

A couple questions:

a) Regarding Lord of the Rings, has anyone found or come up with a variant for growing and removing cards from the available card pool as you play? I have an unreasonable amount of love for the M:TG Marvel VS. PC Games because of the mechanics where you grew your card pool as you played. I was going to try playing LoTR again from the beginning but only adding cards as a I complete expansions, which would make things interesting in terms of expanding the card pool but haven't decided on a clever way of shrinking it so I don't just play the best all-comers with a side bar of quest specific cards at the end.

b) Regarding Conquest and Netrunner, do these games have potential to play something like Cube Draft or Cube Sealed Boosters? At the end of my last Magic obsession, I had the most fun drafting or making sealed boosters from Innistrad block and Rise of the Eldrazi cubes.

Netrunner would be difficult to pull that off with, since it would be dependent on the players picking the Runner or Corp, and then which faction each of them pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Max posted:

Netrunner would be difficult to pull that off with, since it would be dependent on the players picking the Runner or Corp, and then which faction each of them pick.

There is already draft play available for Netrunner. Both as a supported pack form but I think if you hunt around the BGG forums you can find stuff about people who've made a cube for Netrunner of the existing cards.

Lichtenstein posted:

I assume some Slave I-style shenanigans? As in, scum lock the board down and then one shot-one kill strike at objectives? Myself I tend to gravitate to Force-based scum, but you've just given me the idea to introduce some Aqualish Thugs to Colonel Starck. :unsmigghh:

Responding to this in the Star Wars LCG thread .

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

Hortism posted:

So guess the more expensive units in general don't get played much? All I know is that someone played an 8/8 flying dragon on me at some point and I didn't really have anyway to deal with it until I managed to Doom it away later. Is the strategy more to fight around units like that then match them in force in IG, since there doesn't seem to be any direct ways to straight out kill a unit?

Yeah, usually you play around them or just negate their attacks with Suppressive Fire/Glorious Intervention and then swarm over them with a bunch of little guys. Most of the huge beater cards don't have AoE, so they can be overwhelmed by a swarm of lesser units since they can only kill one target per turn. Remember that units that arrive with the enemy warlord come in exhausted, giving you an opportunity to start mobbing them or else run away before they can hit you.

As a rule of thumb, almost any unit that costs 5 or more is going to be weak, with few exceptions (Land Raider is OK, Crisis Battle Guard is pretty good, Chaos has several viable 5+ cards thanks to their cultist sacrifice mechanic).

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Hortism posted:

So guess the more expensive units in general don't get played much? All I know is that someone played an 8/8 flying dragon on me at some point and I didn't really have anyway to deal with it until I managed to Doom it away later. Is the strategy more to fight around units like that then match them in force in IG, since there doesn't seem to be any direct ways to straight out kill a unit?

Dark Eldar (and because of that, most Eldar and some Chaos) have an on-demand rout that will ruin your big guys chances of having an impact when you wanted them to. Space Marines can straight up murder any unit as long as a single point of damage goes through. Eldar exhaust your big dude when they send their Warlord in.

Basically there's a lot of ways to get rid of single expensive units and the two most powerful factions (Dark Eldar and Space Marines) also happen to have the best two ways to do it. And DE are getting even more, even better ways of removing things (Klaivex Warleader, what the gently caress?).

You still probably want 1 copy of a big guy in case of the "bring in a unit from your hand, regardless of cost"-planet (or if you're playing one of the poor morons playing orks like me), but you don't build your deck around it.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 10, 2015

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
As a possible counterpoint, new cards such as Calamity and Dakka Dakka Dakka seem to really punish spamming cheap dudes as a deck strategy.

I do agree that Klaivex Warleader seems busted as hell though, yikes.Honestly almost everything in the first 2 warpacks seems..stunningly good. They are not loving around with putting out cards people dont want to use, for the most part at least.

Karmoderm
Aug 24, 2008

fozzy fosbourne posted:

A couple questions:

a) Regarding Lord of the Rings, has anyone found or come up with a variant for growing and removing cards from the available card pool as you play? I have an unreasonable amount of love for the M:TG Marvel VS. PC Games because of the mechanics where you grew your card pool as you played. I was going to try playing LoTR again from the beginning but only adding cards as a I complete expansions, which would make things interesting in terms of expanding the card pool but haven't decided on a clever way of shrinking it so I don't just play the best all-comers with a side bar of quest specific cards at the end.

b) Regarding Conquest and Netrunner, do these games have potential to play something like Cube Draft or Cube Sealed Boosters? At the end of my last Magic obsession, I had the most fun drafting or making sealed boosters from Innistrad block and Rise of the Eldrazi cubes.

I know this is not the Netrunner thread but Netrunner has the potential for cube - I think people prefer drafting to sealed but either would be possible. There's an explanatory article here, with up-to-date lists of the cube the author maintains, but of course you could do whatever you like with the format. http://stimhack.com/cube-drafting-101/

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

PaintVagrant posted:

As a possible counterpoint, new cards such as Calamity and Dakka Dakka Dakka seem to really punish spamming cheap dudes as a deck strategy.

I do agree that Klaivex Warleader seems busted as hell though, yikes.Honestly almost everything in the first 2 warpacks seems..stunningly good. They are not loving around with putting out cards people dont want to use, for the most part at least.

I'm gonna bitch about Orks plenty throughout this pack cycle I'm sure, but they do seem to be pretty bad off against marines/tau, which kind of kills my desire to play them right now. There are tons of good cards in the new packs though.

Fenrisian Wolf is loving stupid bullshit though :colbert:

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

vulturesrow posted:

Would the Star Wars LCG be a good intro to the LCG genre for kids? My kids love games like Dominion and Ascension so I'd like to try an LCG with them. LotR is an option but they like Star Wars better.

Out of all the LCG's, I thought warhammer invasion was by far the simplest, but it may be too much "skulls and blood and murder" for them depending on their age. LotR is okay if you don't mind quarterbacking until they get it, because imo there is alot going on in the game state at any given point.

Star Wars is only 2 player aside from some 1 player vs many scenarios that came out with one of the expansions...I think. Overall however, I'd say Star Wars is the best option for kids to get into.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Zombie #246 posted:

Star Wars is only 2 player aside from some 1 player vs many scenarios that came out with one of the expansions...I think. Overall however, I'd say Star Wars is the best option for kids to get into.

You can do 1v1, 1v2, 2v2, or 1v3. If you do 1v2 or 1v3 you use special decks. All the stuff to make the game anything more than 1v1 is included in a single deluxe expansion, but if you want to do 2v2 you could probably just get the rules offline and make decks normally as the multiplayer objective cards are not necessary for construction.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

S.J. posted:

I'm gonna bitch about Orks plenty throughout this pack cycle I'm sure, but they do seem to be pretty bad off against marines/tau, which kind of kills my desire to play them right now. There are tons of good cards in the new packs though.

Fenrisian Wolf is loving stupid bullshit though :colbert:

Fenrisian Wolf is very bad IMO - it's basically a worse Rokkit Launcha that costs two instead of one. Klaivex Warleader is pretty terrifying, though.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
Just tried out Klaivex Warleader today in DEldar and it's as good as it seems. Semi-unrelated, but would anyone be interested in buying Captain Cato Sicarius alt-arts? I have a ton of them and wouldn't mind some cash. Problem is I live in Singapore so shipping would be costly.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Fetterkey posted:

Fenrisian Wolf is very bad IMO - it's basically a worse Rokkit Launcha that costs two instead of one. Klaivex Warleader is pretty terrifying, though.

Why is it a worse Rokkit Launcha (except for the cost)? It's basically Super Ranged, in that you can get a unit to go first before the ranged units even. Whether that is actually important is left to be seen (I doubt it), but it does let you alpha strike with two units if you have it and a ranged unit and initiative.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

Why is it a worse Rokkit Launcha (except for the cost)? It's basically Super Ranged, in that you can get a unit to go first before the ranged units even. Whether that is actually important is left to be seen (I doubt it), but it does let you alpha strike with two units if you have it and a ranged unit and initiative.

The wolf would only work once per battle so it the combat drags into later rounds I don't think you could use it again like you could a unit with a Rokkit Launcha. I'm not extremely up on the Conquest rules so I don't know the exact timing window on it.

They're not really comparable though because they aren't in the same faction. Tau would use it, Space Marines might use it, IG could use it alongside Rokkit Launcha if they really wanted to.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 11, 2015

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

PaybackJack posted:

The wolf would only work once per battle so it the combat drags into later rounds I don't think you could use it again like you could a unit with a Rokkit Launcha. I'm not extremely up on the Conquest rules so I don't know the exact timing window on it.

They're not really comparable though because they aren't in the same faction. Tau would use it, Space Marines might use it, IG could use it alongside Rokkit Launcha if they really wanted to.

Nope, you can only take stuff from one allied faction, not both. It does have an advantage over ranged in that your character will always go first even if you lack initiative whereas ranged characters could get beaten by other ranged + initiative.

Ranged also only comes into play once per fight so I'm not sure how Fenris wolf is at a disadvantage because it works the same way.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 11, 2015

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Fetterkey posted:

The only way it is even remotely worse is that it costs 2 instead of 1. It beats out ranged by default and can be attached to things with pulse rifles. Let me tell you about how I put a Rokkit Launcha on my Flash Gitz and my opponent responded by putting Fenrisian Wolf on his Honored Librarian. It also isn't an attack so cards that only interact with damage coming from attacks, like the Orks new force field, literally cannot be used against it.

Space Marines didn't have ranged units, but now they have an attachment that adds ranged, except better in basically every circumstance.

e: It also can't be used against Tokens and Warlords, to be fair. But I hardly think that's much of a downside in the vast majority of circumstances, as it isn't a forced response.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 11, 2015

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

S.J. posted:

The only way it is even remotely worse is that it costs 2 instead of 1. It beats out ranged by default and can be attached to things with pulse rifles. Let me tell you about how I put a Rokkit Launcha on my Flash Gitz and my opponent responded by putting Fenrisian Wolf on his Honored Librarian. It also isn't an attack so cards that only interact with damage coming from attacks, like the Orks new force field, literally cannot be used against it.

It also circumvents the chump blocking of the Tau 1/5 Taunt Unit and lets you hit the Librarians in the face even when there's something else at the planet. It's a fantastic attachment, but too expensive to use it just because you can. Better keep it in hand and save it. It solves a lot of previously unsolvable problems though. Should also ignore flying's damage reduction too I think.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 11, 2015

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Oh and it can be tutored for by Tau engineers? Because fenrisian wolves are all cyborgs if you didn't know :v:

It is absolutely a card that you would wait until your last Deploy Action to play though, you're right.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

sirtommygunn posted:

Nope, you can only take stuff from one allied faction, not both. It does have an advantage over ranged in that your character will always go first even if you lack initiative whereas ranged characters could get beaten by other ranged + initiative.

Ranged also only comes into play once per fight so I'm not sure how Fenris wolf is at a disadvantage because it works the same way.

I guess I really need to sit down and reread the rules for this. I haven't played a whole lot since I bought everything a few months ago. Looking at the timing windows now I see that you're right and ranged only works once per battle, I assumed once you reset the combat round you started with ranged units and moved to non-ranged again.

Also, yeah you definitely can't use it and Rokkit Launcha in the same deck. Not sure where my head was at on that one.

GlisteningDragon
Feb 20, 2010
Played my first game of Conquest with my friend tonight. Enjoyed the game. Some things I noted. Starter decks are extremely inconsistent and it seemed like the DE deck was better than the Tau deck. From what you guys have said, DE are pretty nuts anyway. We couldn't find a maximum hand size rule, so hand advantage is incredible (more than other games). Is there a maximum hand size?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

GlisteningDragon posted:

Played my first game of Conquest with my friend tonight. Enjoyed the game. Some things I noted. Starter decks are extremely inconsistent and it seemed like the DE deck was better than the Tau deck. From what you guys have said, DE are pretty nuts anyway. We couldn't find a maximum hand size rule, so hand advantage is incredible (more than other games). Is there a maximum hand size?

There is not. That inconsistency is almost certainly because you're not playing with full playsets of all of the cards, though. Do you have 3 core sets, or did you just pick up one?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I created a (two core set) deck of Space Marines, and somehow decided to not take any allies. Couple rounds later, I was sitting on a 20-hand card. :shepface:

I can't say I felt THAT screwed by chance even then, I was to blame for putting that many +4 cost units in there.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Please tell me that 2x Core sets is going to give me a fun and varied and balance experience for me and my friend(s) and I don't need to pick up a 3rd :(

GlisteningDragon
Feb 20, 2010

S.J. posted:

There is not. That inconsistency is almost certainly because you're not playing with full playsets of all of the cards, though. Do you have 3 core sets, or did you just pick up one?

I just picked up one core set to try out the game. I did not want to go into this like I did Netrunner just to get burnt out quickly.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Thirsty Dog posted:

Please tell me that 2x Core sets is going to give me a fun and varied and balance experience for me and my friend(s) and I don't need to pick up a 3rd :(

I THINK you should be fine, as long as you're not planning to do tournaments or anything like that for people outside your group of friends.

A big caveat is that, depending on how many players you got, you should try and remove the Rogue Traider and Void Pirate from the decks.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013

Azran posted:

I THINK you should be fine, as long as you're not planning to do tournaments or anything like that for people outside your group of friends.

A big caveat is that, depending on how many players you got, you should try and remove the Rogue Traider and Void Pirate from the decks.

Just proxy those. It's better to get used to what people play in case you ever want to join Game Nights.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
nope

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 13, 2015

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Azran posted:

Yeah, no tournaments or anything like that. I've been burned before but this was a Christmas present that I added a second set to just to make it reasonably playable for two non-newbies to LCGs.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I have no idea if they are still as strict, but you can check my rap sheet to see the forums' (old?) view on OCTGN image packs.

Carteret fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jan 13, 2015

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

A card that from the new Warhammer pack that I really don't get: the Bladed Lotus Rifle (Cost 1 attachment: Wargear. Weapon. Attach to an army unit, attached unit gets +1 attack. If attached unit is a Kabalite, it gains Ranged). On anything that isn't a Kabalite, this card is garbage. On a Kabalite its a rokkit launcha with +1 attack. The problem is that there's only 2 Kabalites in the game right now; one of them has ranged and the other has Area Effect meaning that no matter what this card has wasted stats. Obviously they can and will release more Kabalites but right now this is just a terrible card. I'd like to know why they didn't release one of the Kabalites they're planning on releasing in future packs in this one and put the Bladed Lotus Rifle in a later pack.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 12, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

sirtommygunn posted:

A card that from the new Warhammer pack that I really don't get: the Bladed Lotus Rifle (Cost 1 attachment: Wargear. Weapon. Attach to an army unit, attached unit gets +1 attack. If attached unit is a Kabalite, it gains Ranged). On anything that isn't a Kabalite, this card is garbage. On a Kabalite its a rokkit launcher with +1 attack. The problem is that there's only 2 Kabalites in the game right now; one of them has ranged and the other has Area Effect meaning that no matter what this card has wasted stats. Obviously they can and will release more Kabalites but right now this is just a terrible card. I'd like to know why they didn't release one of the Kabalites they're planning on releasing in future packs in this one and put the Bladed Lotus Rifle in a later pack.

Because Dark Eldar got the Klaivex Warleader so they needed to balance it out with some chaff.

Also not 100% wasted stats on the Area Effect Kabbalite. It gives it an attack 2 if there's a single unit, a ranged unit that can snipe out 2 damage is pretty solid. AOE1 against Orks may also be a Bad Move™ in some circumstances.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

Because Dark Eldar got the Klaivex Warleader so they needed to balance it out with some chaff.

Also not 100% wasted stats on the Area Effect Kabbalite. It gives it an attack 2 if there's a single unit, a ranged unit that can snipe out 2 damage is pretty solid. AOE1 against Orks may also be a Bad Move™ in some circumstances.

If I'm using 3 resources and 2 cards to get a copy of my other Kabalite that costs 1, something has gone terribly wrong and it probably started when I put Bladed Lotus Rifle into my deck.

e: It'd actually be 3 attack + ranged but that's still not good enough to justify the deck slots. I'm not saying it's a bad combo. It's just that even in the best case scenario, which is pretty rare due to the lack of viable targets, it's still pretty underwhelming. Bladed Lotus Rifle would be great if we just had a couple vanilla Kabalites to attach it to. It just seems weird to release it now when there's no optimal targets for it. Then again we also got Kauyon Strike this pack so the DE aren't the only ones getting combo pieces for combos that don't exist yet.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 13, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

sirtommygunn posted:

If I'm using 3 resources and 2 cards to get a copy of my other Kabalite that costs 1, something has gone terribly wrong and it probably started when I put Bladed Lotus Rifle into my deck.

e: It'd actually be 3 attack + ranged but that's still not good enough to justify the deck slots. I'm not saying it's a bad combo. It's just that even in the best case scenario, which is pretty rare due to the lack of viable targets, it's still pretty underwhelming. Bladed Lotus Rifle would be great if we just had a couple vanilla Kabalites to attach it to. It just seems weird to release it now when there's no optimal targets for it. Then again we also got Kauyon Strike this pack so the DE aren't the only ones getting combo pieces for combos that don't exist yet.

Oh I'm not defending the card (in the current pool). I definitely wouldn't play it. But I think if they actually do print a few Kabbalites, it would be very good. Maybe even too good in an all Kabbalite deck? But I get that the problem with having 7 (soonish to be 9) factions in a game is that the roll out of new cards is going to be sloooooow, especially if they want to do any sort of keyword typing. I'm curious to see how an Ethereal-based Tau deck would be, for example.

GlisteningDragon
Feb 20, 2010
So we had two questions come up while we were playing. Shadowsun allows you to attach something from your hand, does this include units like the Gun Drone since it can be played as an attachment? Also, when something says "attach to a unit" does that mean that it can only go to the cards marked as "unit" and not the warlord as well?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

GlisteningDragon posted:

So we had two questions come up while we were playing. Shadowsun allows you to attach something from your hand, does this include units like the Gun Drone since it can be played as an attachment? Also, when something says "attach to a unit" does that mean that it can only go to the cards marked as "unit" and not the warlord as well?

Shadowsun says, "put a [TAU] attachment with printed cost 2 or lower or “Shadowsun’s Stealth Cadre," not "play a [TAU] attachment with printed cost 2 or lower or “Shadowsun’s Stealth Cadre"". Since Gun Drones can only be played as an attachment, her ability doesn't work on them. What you CAN do is use an Ambush Platform, since that says "Play blahblahblah" with Gun Drones.

"Attach to a unit" is any unit, including Warlords. Most cards will say Attach to an Army Unit though, which does not include Warlords. I think Tau only has one Attach to a unit attachment and it is Shadowsun's signature thinger.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Carteret posted:

I have no idea if they are still as strict, but you can check my rap sheet to see the forums' (old?) view on OCTGN image packs.

Well OK I'll edit and withdraw even though I'm quoted. But I don't even have censored image packs. Can I get censored images somewhere?

GlisteningDragon
Feb 20, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

Shadowsun says, "put a [TAU] attachment with printed cost 2 or lower or “Shadowsun’s Stealth Cadre," not "play a [TAU] attachment with printed cost 2 or lower or “Shadowsun’s Stealth Cadre"". Since Gun Drones can only be played as an attachment, her ability doesn't work on them. What you CAN do is use an Ambush Platform, since that says "Play blahblahblah" with Gun Drones.

"Attach to a unit" is any unit, including Warlords. Most cards will say Attach to an Army Unit though, which does not include Warlords. I think Tau only has one Attach to a unit attachment and it is Shadowsun's signature thinger.

Alright. We were wondering if "put" = "play". Make sense though, thanks.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Nvm

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

S.J. posted:

Space Marines didn't have ranged units, but now they have an attachment that adds ranged, except better in basically every circumstance.

e: It also can't be used against Tokens and Warlords, to be fair. But I hardly think that's much of a downside in the vast majority of circumstances, as it isn't a forced response.

The "super ranged" doesn't work with AoEs, doesn't work with Fury of Sicarius or Catchan Outpost, and doesn't let you target tokens or warlords (isn't the Space Wolves theme warlord hunting?). To make matters worse, the only high damage Space Marine units that see play regularly are Blood Angels Veterans and Honored Librarian, and both of those units have defensive abilities that make it unfavorable to use them early in combats.

I think Fenrisian Wolf should probably cost 1 instead of 2, and I still wouldn't play it at that cost. The main reason to include it is if you're having trouble with enemy Ranged units, which IMO Space Marines aren't.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

sirtommygunn posted:

You can use AoE attacks in the ranged phase by the way, so giving an AoE ranged is really good. There's not enough other Kabalites to make it consistent yet, but it's absolutely something that's really powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Fetterkey posted:

The "super ranged" doesn't work with AoEs, doesn't work with Fury of Sicarius or Catchan Outpost, and doesn't let you target tokens or warlords (isn't the Space Wolves theme warlord hunting?). To make matters worse, the only high damage Space Marine units that see play regularly are Blood Angels Veterans and Honored Librarian, and both of those units have defensive abilities that make it unfavorable to use them early in combats.

I think Fenrisian Wolf should probably cost 1 instead of 2, and I still wouldn't play it at that cost. The main reason to include it is if you're having trouble with enemy Ranged units, which IMO Space Marines aren't.

You're right, it doesn't work with those cards. Because that would be beyond ridiculous. But it will let you deal more than enough damage to kill off the majority of ranged units in the game before they get to attack, which is kind of the entire point we've been making.