Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Here's me judging an artist:

This thing he or she made was pretty good. This other thing was not so good.

I just invented criticism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

prefect posted:

Chinatown is still a fantastic film.

Polanski's a creep, but he made a great movie.

So is Rosemary's Baby, Macbeth and bunch of his other works.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

prefect posted:

You judge an artist by his best works, not his worst.

The thing is that Sim just got better and better as an artist and letterer, but the series became increasingly burdened by his weird agenda. Arguably, the second half of Cerebus is his mature work as an artist.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

context is everything. for example, what about artists who have a long period of great work and then get lovely? nobody who says the Rolling Stones are one of the greatest bands of all time is talking about anything they've done in the past 35 years. if you factor that stuff in, they go from being an all-time great band to being a just average band. if anything, i would say that is distorting things unnecessarily.

Timing is everything. If Chris Claremont started making books at the wrong time, nobody would have recognized him. But he hasn't necessarily become a better or worse writer, but our standards have changed dramatically. Another factor is that comic books are part of a creative team, as well. The friction between Claremont, Byrne, and Shooter produced some fantastic comic books. But once that friction was removed, Uncanny X-Men under Claremont was always diminished. Quite frankly, I think nearly anybody can produce a work of creative "genius" given the right timing, peers, and environment. Whether or not an individual can consistently produce great - or at least good - material is the mark of genuine genius, not being a one or even three-hit wonder. But you don't need to average it all, you can say "Frank Miller had great runs on Daredevil and Batman (and maybe Sin City), and then he started eating out of his own rear end in a top hat", too.

Music is a different story because it's created differently, but maybe The Rolling Stones were an average band ahead of their time. But as time went on, they didn't develop their sound, maybe they rested too much on account of their success - whatever - but they became behind the times, and in that regard, they aren't great musicians. Maybe it'd be best to say they're musicians who wrote some great songs, but that they're not great musicians. They may be influential, they may make lots of money, but they weren't massively talented enough for their sound to grow with them. Despite their lyrical assertions, time was not on their side, at least creatively. And the same goes for Claremont or Miller. They were way ahead of their time, then time passed them by, but all they have are the same old ideas. So, it's similarly accurate to say The Dark Phoenix Saga was a great chunk of comics, but Claremont isn't a great writer.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

that seems rather unnecessarily wordy to me, but to each his own. no real right or wrong in this scenario.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Do we really need to have this conversation. Again.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Anyway here's Kurt Busiek getting mad that Claremont/Byrne is bad X-Men and the Dark Phoenix ruined things and he won't read the book until they change it.

(and Claremont's response).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Busiek's a wrong whiner, Dark Phoenix Saga rules

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Yeah. It's a great triple whammy of someone thinking Claremont/Byrne ruined X-Men, it being Busiek and that arguably the entire X-Men's defining run is the breaking point.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I just remember seeing those old Uncanny letters (not from Busiek) asking why Wolverine is such a jerk and wondering why he's such an rear end in a top hat to Cyclops, etc. One era's timeless classic is another era's fan rage, and may it always be so.

But Busiek got to be the guy who came up with the idea used to undo The Dark Phoenix Saga, so I guess he had the last sneer.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Kurt Busiek is so silver age that probably broke his heart. Has he talked about this letter anywhere?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't remember if he mentioned the letter specifically, but he was a guest on the Rachel & Miles podcast, where he extolled the virtues of the Silver Age team.

He sort of comes off as Marvel's equivalent to Mark Waid there.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Metal Loaf posted:

I don't remember if he mentioned the letter specifically, but he was a guest on the Rachel & Miles podcast, where he extolled the virtues of the Silver Age team.

He sort of comes off as Marvel's equivalent to Mark Waid there.

I once asked Busiek at a con who was more knowledgeable about comics, him or Mark Waid. I think he said Waid. I then asked Waid the same question and he said neither of them could touch Bevroot.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember reading that Gruenwald was widely considered the trivia/continuity king in his day.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Metal Loaf posted:

I remember reading that Gruenwald was widely considered the trivia/continuity king in his day.

Its not like he was so good they would give him a series to write the bios of every character no matter how obscure they were!

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah. It's a great triple whammy of someone thinking Claremont/Byrne ruined X-Men, it being Busiek and that arguably the entire X-Men's defining run is the breaking point.

It's also sort of funny that what he saw as the defining era of X-Men is the middle of the Silver Age series, which is far and away the worst pre-Image-era X-Men run.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Die Laughing posted:

Kurt Busiek is so silver age that probably broke his heart. Has he talked about this letter anywhere?

Someone posted it on his Facebook last year and he deleted it and said he's discussed it enough but I can't find any discussions anywhere.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Its not like he was so good they would give him a series to write the bios of every character no matter how obscure they were!

Gruenwald had a fanzine before he got hired at Marvel called Omniverse, where he tried to codify a multiversal continuity that incorporated every comic ever published. Apparently it had articles speculating about stuff like whether Howard the Duck was from Ducksburg or the MU.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Rhyno posted:

Someone posted it on his Facebook last year and he deleted it and said he's discussed it enough but I can't find any discussions anywhere.
He didn't say there were any discussions to find. He said he'd discussed it enough.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ghostlight posted:

He didn't say there were any discussions to find. He said he'd discussed it enough.

I was assuming he'd talked about it in the past somewhere. He's usually pretty chill on FB but that must be a sore point with him. Or he was having a bad day.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The thing is, he wrote that when Dark Phoenix was fresh, so it probably just rubbed him wrong, but it's since been canonified making his complaint seem silly. It doesn't help that since then there has been a ton of poo poo in the X-Men that even if Dark Phoenix wasn't good, it'd still look good in comparison. I'm sure there were similar reactions to the death of Gwen Stacy or Bendis outing Daredevil.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There are people to this day, and they're not hard to find, who say that Marvel as an entity completely jumped the shark when Gwen Stacy died and they've been unable to enjoy anything they've put out since then, on any level.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

There are people to this day, and they're not hard to find, who say that Marvel as an entity completely jumped the shark when Gwen Stacy died and they've been unable to enjoy anything they've put out since then, on any level.

These people could be no younger than 55 years old.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

These people could be no younger than 55 years old.

I certainly hope so, otherwise they are crazy. On the other hand, that means they're 55 year olds posting on the CBR boards about how all modern comics suck, so I hope not.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

The thing is, he wrote that when Dark Phoenix was fresh, so it probably just rubbed him wrong, but it's since been canonified making his complaint seem silly. It doesn't help that since then there has been a ton of poo poo in the X-Men that even if Dark Phoenix wasn't good, it'd still look good in comparison. I'm sure there were similar reactions to the death of Gwen Stacy or Bendis outing Daredevil.

In addition, to be fair, Busiek only would have been 20-21 years old when that issue was published, and the Silver Age team were his actual (and presumably treasured) childhood memories of these characters.

Lurdiak posted:

I certainly hope so, otherwise they are crazy. On the other hand, that means they're 55 year olds posting on the CBR boards about how all modern comics suck, so I hope not.

The recent AXIS brand synergy retcons put me on mind of a CBR poster I once saw complaining that Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch were ruined when it was revealed that their parents were Magneto and Magda rather than the Whizzer and Miss America.

But, again being fair, what's logical to us may well have seemed like something Claremont, Byrne, Michelinie and Gruenwald (and whoever else was working on Avengers at the time) conjured out of thin air because Magneto and Pietro had similar-looking hair.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 13, 2015

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Lurdiak posted:

Uncle... Uncle Alan?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Nerds grow up man :shrug:

One day you will be 80 years old talking about how Marvel ruined their line up when they made Captain America a robot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

Nerds grow up man :shrug:

One day you will be 80 years old talking about how Marvel ruined their line up when they made Captain America a robot.

That seems like the opposite of growing up.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

That seems like the opposite of growing up.
I think he meant you can be an old person and still be immature.

I'm about to start reading that Eisner/Miller book. I wonder if there were traces of crazy Miller in the interviews.
I also have to admire the balls of whoever (or is it whomever?) thought "Hey, let's make a parallel to that Hitchcock/Truffaut book"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

I once knew a man born around... like... the early seventies?... that was convinced that all comics and TV post-60s were crap and that only Elvis and the Beach Boys were any good, only sixties sitcoms were worth watching, and anything after the Silver Age was a living nightmare. Unless it was filled with tits, then it might be alright. Also he was racist, so it's like he was completing a full set of outdated, embarrassing notions.

So yes, these people exist, the kind that dream of a Golden Age that they were never actually around for.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
One of my bosses has literally never read Ultimate Spiderman because the title implies the Lee/Kirby/Ditko Spiderman was the Penultimate Spiderman. There's no cut-off date for whackadoo comic opinions.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Lurdiak posted:

55, 25, what's the difference?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Quick, someone post that series of comic covers about aging that is merely coincidental to this conversation.

Fake edit: no matter how old you are, you think it is the age best suited to judge pop culture and your favorite elements in relation to the sum total of what you have experienced (spoiler alert: your favorite things are always The Best Ever).

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jan 13, 2015

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Vincent posted:

I'm about to start reading that Eisner/Miller book. I wonder if there were traces of crazy Miller in the interviews.

Well, it looks like it was published after Eisner's death by a few months, but I'm not finding anywhere that says when the interview took place. Miller has said himself that his world was shaken from its hinges on 9/11, so it's entirely possible that his crazy will be on full display there, though the subject matter might have made it easier for him to focus on what he likely imagines are the good times.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You know, I re-read The Dark Knight Returns not that long ago, and Miller was plenty crazy before 9/11.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
You see the seeds of it, yeah. The facile dismissal of psychiatry, the obsession with extreme masculinity, the Death Wish-style view of morality, the quasi-militia movement Batman and the Sons of Batman become at the end... it's all pointing in an obvious direction.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Also Catwoman being a madam all of a sudden for no good reason, because she's too old to be a whore herself (but Miller made drat sure to make her one in Year One, of course).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Senior Woodchuck posted:

You see the seeds of it, yeah. The facile dismissal of psychiatry, the obsession with extreme masculinity, the Death Wish-style view of morality, the quasi-militia movement Batman and the Sons of Batman become at the end... it's all pointing in an obvious direction.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to judge a creator on one work because it might be the characters or the themes of the story, but when they keep going back to that same well things start to get suspicious (and that brings us back to Claremont :v: ).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What happened to the question thread?

Anyways, is it just me or is it way more common for female characters to be referred to by their name rather than their code name. Jean Gray, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, and so on. I know there are some male villians that go by just their name, Maxwell Lord for example, but what about male heroes? Charles Xavier I guess? Does anyone still call J'onn J'onzz Martian Manhunter? You guys are probably going to post a bunch of obvious ones that have slipped my mind for a minute and I'm going to feel like an idiot.

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

There were a bit too many stickies but both it and the recommendation thread are still open and around.

• Locked thread