Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
There's so many parts of the episode that feel like a retread of last week it's gotta be intentional. Like, there's something to Kureha being called to the roof, finding a bear, falling off down some stairs and this leading to the bear court and the metaphorical cunnilingus, but if that's a metaphor for something I cannot figure what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Everybody is bears.

The bears can use the guns.

All my predictions are coming true.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I still haven't pieced together how this all fits together with Teddy Roosevelts childhood in New York, but rest assured I am working on it.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
Pretty sure people can become bears somehow, probably if their love isn't true or whatever.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Welp, explicitly almost-rape scene in episode 2 :stare:

Kaelan Zero
Nov 30, 2004

smut

ElNarez posted:

There's so many parts of the episode that feel like a retread of last week it's gotta be intentional. Like, there's something to Kureha being called to the roof, finding a bear, falling off down some stairs and this leading to the bear court and the metaphorical cunnilingus, but if that's a metaphor for something I cannot figure what it is.
When the trial, staircase and lily bit started again I wondered whether I was watching last week's episode by mistake. THOSE TWO GIRLS AREN'T EVEN ON THE ROOF.

Is everyone in this goddamn series a bear? They're going to run out of twist reveals by episode 5 at this rate.

It's weird comparing this with the two manga chapters since in the manga the bears at least understand the concept of subtlety, but I suppose having them wander around saying growl growl and tasting people eliminates the narrative need for Kureha to be telepathic...

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Well, it looks like Ikuni is going back to the magical girl well with this. Haha.

Sharkopath posted:

Everybody is bears.

The bears can use the guns.

All my predictions are coming true.

They totally are. It's great.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'd probably like the show more if the characters had more personality instead of basically being stock character types, though.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Sharkopath posted:

I'd probably like the show more if the characters had more personality instead of basically being stock character types, though.

I hope that there'll be one or more episodes that allow for more time spent on characters at some point, though this will only be one cour.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Kaelan Zero posted:

It's weird comparing this with the two manga chapters since in the manga the bears at least understand the concept of subtlety, but I suppose having them wander around saying growl growl and tasting people eliminates the narrative need for Kureha to be telepathic...

I'm not sure the manga even has bears, the protagonist just has a weird thing about relating everything to bears. I guess we'll never know for sure until someone decides to start translating more chapters.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Uh, more substantive thoughts-
"Eating" is both sex and violence, lawl.
"Invisible" seems to refer to both dying and staying closeted from what ahoge-bear was saying to the class prez.
Interestingly, the leaves that appear with the Invisible Storm are the only greenery outside of the garden.
The bears target people who genuinely love and gain sustenance from love.
Lulu and Ginko appear to need the court so that they don't kill and eat people like the class president.

So I'm guessing that we'll have menage a trois at some point, and true love will free Lulu and Ginko from the hunger.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Effectronica posted:

"Eating" is both sex and violence, lawl.

So eating turned out to be rape after all?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Namtab posted:

So eating turned out to be rape after all?

Nope, it's still metaphorical, unlike the actual, physical murder and devouring of people which is also referred to as "eating".

Edit: You did have one of the bears being very forward with our heroine, though, so commence the condemnation.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Lulu and Ginko are looking like they're gonna end up being protagonists, which is cool, and was kinda obvious from the preliminary material as well as the opening and such but is still real cool.
Also even though all of this was kinda predictable given the first episode, it still felt like something of a surprise. A good show, if somewhat unsettling, so far, and probably gonna be a whole lot of fun as things get underway.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Also, if Lulu and Ginko aren't malicious, the whole "give yourself over to the bears, and your love will be approved" is a lot less sinister, and might actually imply some sort of protection from the Invisible Storm.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

everythingWasBees posted:

Also, if Lulu and Ginko aren't malicious, the whole "give yourself over to the bears, and your love will be approved" is a lot less sinister, and might actually imply some sort of protection from the Invisible Storm.

I mean, Kureha does clasp hands with them at the end of the stock footage.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Effectronica posted:

I mean, Kureha does clasp hands with them at the end of the stock footage.

Yeah, but with the context of only the first episode, that could just imply she gives in and surrenders to being eaten. As opposed to... Consenting to being eaten I guess?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

everythingWasBees posted:

Yeah, but with the context of only the first episode, that could just imply she gives in and surrenders to being eaten. As opposed to... Consenting to being eaten I guess?

It happens after the eating, so I dunno. But I think that the student council president's murdering of "invisible" girls is more likely to be metaphorical for rape/sexual assault, with the "eating" Ginko and Lulu are doing being consensual.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

So I thought I'd elaborate a bit on 'gently caress this I'm out' now I've had (unfortunately only) a couple of hours sleep. Ikuhara has so far managed to come up with a show that I honestly can't enjoy on any level, which is pretty impressive really considering how much I wanted to like this show.
I can't enjoy it as a good Ikuhara mind gently caress because there's practically nothing to it, the characters are so wafer thin they barely (sorry) even deserve that description. Kureha is in love and hates bears, everyone else is a bear, that's like the sum total of characterisation we've had so far. There's hardly any plot or at least no progression thereof, we know about as much at the end of episode 2 as we did at the start of the first. Utena and Penguindrum could at least be enjoyed on a narrative level, even if you weren't interested in puzzling out all the symbolism and metaphor. This is a problem that may get better I guess, I'm not terribly optimistic at the moment.
And I can't enjoy this at the level of cute yuri fluff because it's not,. Despite constant proclamations of people being in love there's no actual romance in this show, which is the main reason I enjoy that sort of thing. Also the second episode manages to introduce one of my most hated tropes, the pseudo-rape 'forced seduction' crap that infests like 95% of yaoi manga.

At this point I just wish someone would translate more of the manga because the first two chapters of that were way more interesting than this.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Effectronica posted:

It happens after the eating, so I dunno. But I think that the student council president's murdering of "invisible" girls is more likely to be metaphorical for rape/sexual assault, with the "eating" Ginko and Lulu are doing being consensual.

That's what it seems like, yeah. As opposed to last episode which made it very much seem like a bears versus Kureha thing, with what little context we had.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Effectronica posted:

I've very much on the side of this with the transformation of the girls into bears being a metaphor for becoming a sexual predator of sorts or, rather, impure love.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

At this point I just wish someone would translate more of the manga because the first two chapters of that were way more interesting than this.

the manga is extremely cool and good and someone should translate more of it so the thread can be about that instead of the anime

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

a cartoon duck posted:

the manga is extremely cool and good and someone should translate more of it so the thread can be about that instead of the anime

it's actually pretty standard yuri stuff dude, unless it gets really kickass in ch. 3 or whatever

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

I will concur with this because I can't stand the anime anymore but there seems to be something interesting here.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
The MC is a bit annoyingly unassertive but at the same time it's not like she knew the two were bears when they rolled up to her house, and she was just politely trying to shoo them out. I'll give her some time. Dead LI girl can stay dead though she's just boring.

Other that that, episode 2 was good imo, except the whole court-scene's repetition, while not unexpected because Ikuhara, has a lot less action and a lot more confusion than the duels in Utena, so I hope they start to diverge pretty quickly. Poor Life Cool just doesn't get through.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
ANN's Nick Creamer has been doing some cool and interesting breakdowns if you want to get into the show's cinematography, themes, and symbolism:

Episode One
Episode Two

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Darth Walrus posted:

ANN's Nick Creamer has been doing some cool and interesting breakdowns if you want to get into the show's cinematography, themes, and symbolism:

Episode One
Episode Two

I thought these were good, he picks up on a few things I missed and haven't seen discussed here, like the bird symbolism, though I think it's still not quite clear exactly what that's meant to represent.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Ah, now this anime is gettin good. At this rate we'll hit full on rape by episode 4.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

XboxPants posted:

I thought these were good, he picks up on a few things I missed and haven't seen discussed here, like the bird symbolism, though I think it's still not quite clear exactly what that's meant to represent.

Birds are generally pretty obvious symbols of freedom. Maybe they represent the potential that the current system is repressing? Bears and humans are both the oppressors here.

And I think those breakdowns help clarify the purpose of the Court of Yuri - it's not just a symbol of patriarchy dictating the girls' lives, but it's outright ritualised bullshit gibberish that the 'defendants' are supposed to passively endure (so, still a symbol of patriarchy, but more so). I think that we're building up to Ginko and Lulu (or maybe Sumika) interfering with the Court's procedure and taking a more active role, at which point the stock-footage pattern should change dramatically.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jan 13, 2015

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

This show is hosed up.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DrPaper posted:

Ah, now this anime is gettin good. At this rate we'll hit full on rape by episode 4.

raipu-shock!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

edit: This is OK so far, but I desperately want to like it more, because Ikuhara.

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 14, 2015

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
If you hated KLK for the stuff it did, and are defending this show, congratulations.

Keep the hypocrisy train rolling.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no see it's okay because Iku 'I gave her big tits because I wanted an oppai mousepad' hara is making it

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Endorph posted:

no see it's okay because Iku 'I gave her big tits because I wanted an oppai mousepad' hara is making it

I'm glad somebody gets it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Harettazetta posted:

If you hated KLK for the stuff it did, and are defending this show, congratulations.

I think it's less about what they're doing, and more about where they go with it. KLK gets a lot of extra crap for its skeezy content because it never actually went anywhere interesting or insightful with it, and just tacked it on for cheap shock value. When you eventually decide the theme you're going for is 'yeah, none of this makes sense, which is awesome' after a muddled mess of a second act, people are going to have a lot less patience for any sleazy poo poo you put in because it didn't serve a purpose beyond cheap shock value. Ikuhara, meanwhile, has a lot of goodwill from previous shows to burn through with YKA, and the theme of teenage sexuality is front and centre and subject to some moderately coherent examination so far. I think everyone recognises that this show has the potential to collapse into a Kill-la-Kill-style mess or a standard creepy shoujo rape-is-love plot, at which point the risqué content becomes a lot less defensible, but I think it's OK to wait and see until the show's over/we get a better idea of where Ikuhara is going for this.

Remember, KLK's sexual content got defended while the show was running, too. It's only with the benefit of hindsight that we can say 'nope, it was worthless'.

Posthumor
Jan 13, 2015

~amine~
Thanks for your post on Class S, Darth Walrus. It's led me down an interest research hole.

Now I'm watching the Pink Film Terrifying Girls' High School: Lynch Law Classroom, which has some interesting parallels to YKA. Both are about student relations at an all-girls school full of murder (as punishments from other students) and lesbian trysts. The callbacks to classic Western horror cinema made me wonder what a Japanese cineliterate viewer must be picking up.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Harettazetta posted:

At least KLK was quite a spectacle outside of its absurd sexualization, so it could still be enjoyed by turning your brain off. This show cannot claim as much.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I dunno, I laugh every time the bears just really want to eat someone while the characters in the foreground are monologuing, because they're bears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

ViggyNash posted:

At least KLK was quite a spectacle outside of its absurd sexualization, so it could still be enjoyed by turning your brain off. This show cannot claim as much.

Speak for yourself, I find the cinematography in this show alone to be at least as visually enjoyable as KLK's brand of spectacle. Almost every shot is gorgeous.

• Locked thread