Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nintendo Kid posted:

Those are completely not weird really. If you start dealing with businesses in more rural areas, you end up with a lot of cases where some important lawyer really does do business with a BobLawyer98@aol.com email or whatever. And for private individuals you get that even more so.

That's crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

It's kind of pointless to register your own email domain when it's literally just you at your firm. Just get a professional-sounding gmail/hotmail/yahoo, and you're good to operate in Cut Knife, Saskatchewan.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

Keromaru5 posted:

I'll admit, from the moment I saw "big Tractor-Trailer Semi," the only thing on my mind was Maximum Overdrive.

e: Also, currently reading The Drawing of the Three, at the... *ahem* very insistent urging of a friend of mine. He has some strong opinions on the Dark Tower, and would not let the fact I'd only read The Gunslinger stand. I'm liking it so far!

I'm reading it for the third time right now myself. So far it is reaffirming my long standing belief that it is the best dark tower book.

I wasn't planning on reading through the dark tower again but I made the mistake of finally finishing the comic series and it got me jonesing for more Roland

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

It's kind of pointless to register your own email domain when it's literally just you at your firm. Just get a professional-sounding gmail/hotmail/yahoo, and you're good to operate in Cut Knife, Saskatchewan.

And even if it's not professional sounding and is on a local isp or AOL, you've probably instead been using it since your nephew convinced you you needed email in the mid-late 90s and so you're not going to bother changing it because of inertia.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Nintendo Kid posted:

If I'm remembering right Rage was one of his earliest full novels, but it wasn't the earliest. His earliest was one he published under his own name.

Carrie was the first published, but I think Rage was one of the first that he wrote, but wasn't published for a few years after Carrie.

DrShevek
Jan 6, 2015

Women's Rights? posted:

Okay I was thinking on this, and I got it: The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. It is the only Stephen King book that I've only read once because it was so fuckin' dull I put it on the shelf the second I was finished with it and never looked back. I don't remember any details of the book (Girl gets lost, girl hallucinates Tom Gordon walking with her, girl kills a bear? I think?) all I remember is that I hated it when I was reading it.

Wow, I was a big fan of that one.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Yeah, it is me. I am the SK thread pariah because I LOVED The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon AND Gerald's Game. Both had me gripped. Am I broken, thread? :ohdear:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

franco posted:

Yeah, it is me. I am the SK thread pariah because I LOVED The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon AND Gerald's Game. Both had me gripped. Am I broken, thread? :ohdear:

How old were you when you read them? I find that the most memorable books of his for me (whether good or bad) are from when I was about 13.

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Medullah posted:

How old were you when you read them? I find that the most memorable books of his for me (whether good or bad) are from when I was about 13.

*counting on fingers* about 20 for GG and 36 for TGWLTG :corsair:

The latter really surprised me as I had expected to dislike it, or at least not get some of it, given that I have absolutely no nostalgia or clue about baseball (not that that's the only barrier to entry). The idea of being a kid so lost, alone and fighting adversity really played to something primal in me. GG coming top of "worst of" lists (and being a "don't bother" of this thread) always surprises me. I can understand some people feeling that King pisses away all goodwill with the ending (plus ca change!) but it's an interesting conceit that's made use of and, again, genuinely frightening putting oneself in the protagonist's shoes.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

franco posted:

*counting on fingers* about 20 for GG and 36 for TGWLTG :corsair:

The latter really surprised me as I had expected to dislike it, or at least not get some of it, given that I have absolutely no nostalgia or clue about baseball (not that that's the only barrier to entry). The idea of being a kid so lost, alone and fighting adversity really played to something primal in me. GG coming top of "worst of" lists (and being a "don't bother" of this thread) always surprises me. I can understand some people feeling that King pisses away all goodwill with the ending (plus ca change!) but it's an interesting conceit that's made use of and, again, genuinely frightening putting oneself in the protagonist's shoes.

I liked Gerald's Game, actually. But I do think that it was the beginning of a turn in style from his books. If I remember correctly it came out right before Dolores Claiborne and Rose Madder, and all three were a departure from his typical style and subject matter. I think King traditionalists see that as a big change.

I can't speak to the quality of D.C or R.M, because that was the point where I stopped reading every one of King's books. That wasn't necessarily quality related, once I hit high school in the early 90s I stopped reading like a fiend. :(

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

franco posted:

I love The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon too. I think it's a great book. I've never understood all the hate. But to each their own, I guess.

I don't know if it helps that I'm a Sox fan and that I connected with all the details about WEEI and Castiglione and Trupiano and the Giant Glass jingle. But mostly I found it to be a riveting story about a little girl lost in the woods. I even liked the ending. It felt like everything had been building up to a psychological victory. King whiffs on endings a lot, but this was one of the ones that really clicked with me. I thought it was perfect.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

I liked Tom Gordon too. Not my favourite but I'd read it again.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
My feelings on The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon are...

It is a book that exists. And one time I read it. :geno:

It's not "bad" so much as very forgettable.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Just finished Pet Sematary - three out of five from me. Even though it's not one of King's tomes, I found it a bit of a slog to get through, and overall the pacing felt really off. I didn't feel that way when reading The Shining (similar length to PS), or It, which is nearly 3 times the length.

The finalé was pretty good but felt a little rushed. The epilogue, however, again felt rushed. I can see why people like the book but if nothing much is happening plot-wise, you need to have interesting character narratives to stop things getting stale.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?
This thread made me want to re-read The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. It's not an action-packed book like most of his faves, and there's really no gore or super-scary stuff like that, but it has great pacing and a simple but emotional storyline. It's almost meditative and it's relatively short, so it's good for a cold winter Sunday. I think it's one of his best books. I actually cried in two places.

ETA: and I'm not a baseball fan at all - you don't have to be to enjoy the book.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

*Sheepishly raises hand*

I, uh... I own a pop-up version of Tom Gordon.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

*Sheepishly raises hand*

I've seen that at my local used book store and have seriously considered buying it, just to have it as a curiosity if nothing else.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

*Sheepishly raises hand*

My mom bought me that one a few christmases ago because she knows I like the Stephen King.

It was kind of baseball centric, which I haven't played since I was ten or so but the little girl's dilemma was intriguing for a bit. And the pictures of the imaginary monsters are great.

I can''t hate on it, basically, although the chances of me re-reading it are poor.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Just finished Pet Sematary - three out of five from me. Even though it's not one of King's tomes, I found it a bit of a slog to get through, and overall the pacing felt really off. I didn't feel that way when reading The Shining (similar length to PS), or It, which is nearly 3 times the length.

The finalé was pretty good but felt a little rushed. The epilogue, however, again felt rushed. I can see why people like the book but if nothing much is happening plot-wise, you need to have interesting character narratives to stop things getting stale.

The effect of Pet Sematary on me in 7th grade was great, but after reading it a second time (almost 29 years later) last year I had to drop my rating from a 4 out of 5, to a 3 out of 5. While I still enjoyed certain parts of the book (Jud's stories about the area, Gage telling Jud that he was a cockold, Zelda, Pascow) it just didn't click with me. To this day it still makes no sense that Jud took him him there. He knew the evil and the risk, but yet he does it. Only thing I could think of is maybe it was the power of the burial ground causing him to do it. I remember reading Tommyknockers not long after Pet Sematary (my original read), and thinking that maybe Maine was all part of one big Alien conspiracy. That IT, the Indian burial ground, etc. was all related. Crazy thoughts of a 8th grade at the time I guess.

Also I have re-read several King books, and Pet Sematary was the first one that didn't hold up. Works like The Shining and Cujo were actually better, and salem's Lot was just as good ever. Right now I am re-reading IT (which I haven't read since that same time in the 80's). On Goodreads I had it 3 out of 4, but after 400 pages it may get a bump. It is better than I remember

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 12, 2015

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

franco posted:

Nope. I liked Gerald's Game quite a bit. I haven't read TGWLTG. I recently bought Lisey's Story since King said it's his favorite. I checked it out of the library and got about 15% of the way through without figuring out why so many people hate it. There's a lot of King books in this thread that get a lot of hate (Cujo, Rose Madder, Gerald's Game) so lately I figure if the thread hates it, I'll dig it.

I got your back.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

Nope. I liked Gerald's Game quite a bit. I haven't read TGWLTG. I recently bought Lisey's Story since King said it's his favorite. I checked it out of the library and got about 15% of the way through without figuring out why so many people hate it. There's a lot of King books in this thread that get a lot of hate (Cujo, Rose Madder, Gerald's Game) so lately I figure if the thread hates it, I'll dig it.

I got your back.

I liked TGWLTG because I got a childish pop-up version as an adult and it was xmas and it wasn't a lot to swallow. I disliked Gerald's Game because I read it at an early age and wasn't comfortable with the bondage and necrophilia because I had no loving clue what those things were but got my eyes widened considerably. I read Lisey's Story along with my fiance at a nice place in my life and thought all the sappy idiot talk was adorable and the part about their relationship was cute. She thought the same way. I can see how that would be super annoying and whatnot but having a secret language (albeit an admittedly obnoxious one) is fun.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

nate fisher posted:

The effect of Pet Sematary on me in 7th grade was great, but after reading it a second time (almost 29 years later) last year I had to drop my rating from a 4 out of 5, to a 3 out of 5. While I still enjoyed certain parts of the book (Jud's stories about the area, Gage telling Jud that he was a cockold, Zelda, Pascow) it just didn't click with me. To this day it still makes no sense that Jud took him him there. He knew the evil and the risk, but yet he does it. Only thing I could think of is maybe it was the power of the burial ground causing him to do it. I remember reading Tommyknockers not long after Pet Sematary (my original read), and thinking that maybe Maine was all part of one big Alien conspiracy. That IT, the Indian burial ground, etc. was all related. Crazy thoughts of a 8th grade at the time I guess.

Also I have re-read several King books, and Pet Sematary was the first one that didn't hold up. Works like The Shining and Cujo were actually better, and salem's Lot was just as good ever. Right now I am re-reading IT (which I haven't read since that same time in the 80's). On Goodreads I had it 3 out of 4, but after 400 pages it may get a bump. It is better than I remember

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on It when you've finished, seeing as there's that whole 30 year difference thing.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

syscall girl posted:

I liked TGWLTG because I got a childish pop-up version as an adult and it was xmas and it wasn't a lot to swallow. I disliked Gerald's Game because I read it at an early age and wasn't comfortable with the bondage and necrophilia because I had no loving clue what those things were but got my eyes widened considerably. I read Lisey's Story along with my fiance at a nice place in my life and thought all the sappy idiot talk was adorable and the part about their relationship was cute. She thought the same way. I can see how that would be super annoying and whatnot but having a secret language (albeit an admittedly obnoxious one) is fun.

Just picture King saying "Babyluv" with his lips all pooched out. That will cure you pretty quick.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Pheeets posted:

Just picture King saying "Babyluv" with his lips all pooched out. That will cure you pretty quick.

Dude that's harsh.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Revival unnerved me in a way that no other piece of fiction has since I was a kid. That is a powerful, hosed up book.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

nate fisher posted:

The effect of Pet Sematary on me in 7th grade was great, but after reading it a second time (almost 29 years later) last year I had to drop my rating from a 4 out of 5, to a 3 out of 5. While I still enjoyed certain parts of the book (Jud's stories about the area, Gage telling Jud that he was a cockold, Zelda, Pascow) it just didn't click with me. To this day it still makes no sense that Jud took him him there.

It makes no sense that anyone would start smoking, but it happens all the time. Anyway I haven't read it in at least 10 years, but Timmy Baterman still stands out to me and always will stand out to me as unnerving and creepy as gently caress.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

It makes no sense that anyone would start smoking, but it happens all the time. Anyway I haven't read it in at least 10 years, but Timmy Baterman still stands out to me and always will stand out to me as unnerving and creepy as gently caress.

Do you think the things he told people were actually true? Did Norma actually ride all round her without Jud knowing, or was Dead Gage just saying that to antagonise him?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Do you think the things he told people were actually true? Did Norma actually ride all round her without Jud knowing, or was Dead Gage just saying that to antagonise him?

I think the stuff Timmy said was true (as Judd admitted) but I think the stuff Gage said was probably not true and was just to enrage/unnerve Judd. though that is just my guess.

E: It is worth checking out Desperation, the movie, which is on Youtube at the moment. Psychic kids, people pulling intuitively gained exposition out of their asses, an absurd finale and a surprising amount of (mild) gore. Silly, great fun and very watchable version of a rather meh novel.

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 14, 2015

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I always assumed it was 3/4 true, 1/4 not true. Make just enough true to gently caress them up and wonder if poo poo like the above spoilered statement is true and they never knew. The sooner they do that, the sooner you can resume smiling stupidly at a sickly orange sunset

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Well, reached the climax of Revival tonight. Um...holy poo poo. Was not expecting that

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

beergod posted:

Revival unnerved me in a way that no other piece of fiction has since I was a kid. That is a powerful, hosed up book.

Jesus Christ, I just finished Revival after starting it a day or two ago and it's easily one of the best things he's ever written, up there with It, the Stand, all of them.

loving Hell what a book, excellent pacing, excellent characterization, eerie and atmospheric as all hell.
Absolutely one of the best things he's ever done.

It probably helps that I was one of those kids who found Lovecraft at a 'too-early' age at their local library and scared themselves witless by reading too much of it (the spoiler is an author reference that hints at things) but holy poo poo, it was great.

For some reason, the tone of the narrator and the overall theme really brought me back to 'the Mist', in a very pleasant way, in an eerily reminiscent sort of way.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Mr Mercedes to be developed as a TV series:

http://deadline.com/2015/01/david-e-kelley-stephen-king-mr-mercedes-limited-series-sonar-entertainment-1201348942/

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

beergod posted:

I read that it was just about being a heroin addict and some guy keeps running into some other guy through their lives. Is it really that good?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Talmonis posted:

I read that it was just about being a heroin addict and some guy keeps running into some other guy through their lives. Is it really that good?
That description is like saying 'IT is about some kids playing and they see a movie with a werewolf in it'.

Yes, it really is that good, and stop reading whatever site used that description.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I am glad I didn't give up on the dark tower after the first book, because the drawing of the three is pretty great. I don't know at which point it becomes a mess, but this one is right up there with anything else King has written.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

joepinetree posted:

I am glad I didn't give up on the dark tower after the first book, because the drawing of the three is pretty great. I don't know at which point it becomes a mess, but this one is right up there with anything else King has written.

You can stop reading about halfway into Wolves of the Calla, though some people would recommend not reading that one at all. It's probably worth finishing the series just for completion's sake, but know that that book is where it starts going to poo poo. Also The Wind Through the Keyhole, which was written after all the others but fits between books 4 and 5 is pretty great.

Just finished Revival. I really liked it up until the ending. What the gently caress is with King and everything turning out to be a giant insect?

I think this book had a lot of potential, and I'm not sure where exactly it went off track. It just wasn't as fulfilling as I had hoped.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
You aren't the only one who feels that way.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell

Talmonis posted:

It's a really good book. I loved every page of it. It's a slow burn, yeah. But in a perfect way.

The community seems kinda divided on this one, I dunno. But I really liked it a lot. I'd recommend it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

You can stop reading about halfway into Wolves of the Calla, though some people would recommend not reading that one at all. It's probably worth finishing the series just for completion's sake, but know that that book is where it starts going to poo poo. Also The Wind Through the Keyhole, which was written after all the others but fits between books 4 and 5 is pretty great.

This is exactly how I felt. Id read the first three Dark Tower books as a kid and finally decided to finish the series. I tore through Wizard and the Glass and was like "holy crap why didn't I read these earlier". Wolves started out so good, and then went downhill fast. Then the next two books were just so lonnnnnnnnng. I was close to giving up when King introduced him loving self but stuck through it. Is satisfied with the ending, but it should have been half the length.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Sweet! I don't think it can be as good as Under the Dome turned out to be though.

I think I'm one of the few that liked that story. Hopefully they turn down the jive and tech talk.