Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Stallion Cabana posted:

When I get back to good internet zone I want to play Smash with you.

That's a good way to rack up some wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012
I'm pretty sure the pig enemies are just larger version of the bomb-throwing pigs called Ball Hogs from Sonic 1's Scrap Brain Zone.

The little bouncing mushroom guys are also a reference, this time to the MushMeanie from Sonic and Knuckles. He acted exactly that way in S&K, but you never had to use him to pick up anything, thankfull.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

If you'd like to watch 45 minutes of me playing Mario Kart 8 with my six year old cousins and assorted relatives: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJMo_yzuqOk I won't clog up the thread with the rest of these but there will probably be more as they asked me to record nearly everything we played.
Awh that was adorable. :3:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I decided to catch up on Red Rings before doing the rest of Sky Road so here's one more bonus video with those and the boss beaten with that shortcut I mentioned.

Bonus Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hKKGtuHE6s

Plus Hulkamatt and I desperately try to break the Mario Kart 8 tie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEqRg7tCsOg

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Something tells me that the time you stop having ties, then the world will suffer a great catastrophe or something. I fear for that day.

Also I really, really envy your item luck, MassRafTer. I did some cups on 100 CC today and even on 6th I got far worse items than you did. I think I've seen the 8 twice at best.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

MassRafTer posted:

Plus Hulkamatt and I desperately try to break the Mario Kart 8 tie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEqRg7tCsOg

I took a while to start watching the Mario Kart, since I didn't think watching people race Mario Kart could be exciting. I was so wrong. This endless tie is something special; can't wait to see who breaks it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Shinjobi posted:

I took a while to start watching the Mario Kart, since I didn't think watching people race Mario Kart could be exciting. I was so wrong. This endless tie is something special; can't wait to see who breaks it.

It has even more things going against it since you only get to see one screen. So much excitement! I'm hoping to break the tie the next time we record.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

It has even more things going against it since you only get to see one screen. So much excitement! I'm hoping to break the tie the next time we record.

I'm okay with only one screen, to be honest, since it's only the two of you. The problem I'm running into is that you're both way too chill to be playing Mario Kart. Instead of a litany of profanity at falling off the course it's just "Oh well, that happened."

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe they should consider Mario Party

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!

Valgaav posted:

The problem I'm running into is that you're both way too chill to be playing Mario Kart. Instead of a litany of profanity at falling off the course it's just "Oh well, that happened."

I noticed this as well. Much as I love Mario Kart, it brings out the best, unexpected cursing in me and my friends. And not in a good way.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

After a brief delay we are back with the second half of Sky Road! Sonic must confront the leader of the Deadly Six! Can Sonic defeat the devil? Will he save Tails? How is Amy doing? Some questions will be answered today on Sonic Lost World!

Part 9 (Shake Hands with the Devil): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UWwrxdCOyU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Time for some Zavok quotes.

"This is the best that's beaten the others! Zavok! The most powerful Zeti!"
"Insignificant hedgehog! I'll shatter you, your friends, and your world!"
"Your fate is to be destroyed! Why won't you just accept that, lie down and die?!"
"All this, just to reach the one Zeti you cannot defeat. As Zor would say, how pointless."
"Don't break too easily!"

Also Zavok's 2nd fight gave a lot of people problems because they did not know about the Charged Homming attack or kick. While most would figure out the kick the charged homing attack was too much for them and they would get their rear end kicked by the guy. Anyway once you know the mechanics he goes down fairly easily but he is the hardest Zeti fight so far in the game by far.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 13, 2015

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Time for some Zavok quotes.

"This is the best that's beaten the others! Zavok! The most powerful Zeti!"
"Insignificant hedgehog! I'll shatter you, your friends, and your world!"
"Your fate is to be destroyed! Why won't you just accept that, lie down and die?!"
"All this, just to reach the one Zeti you cannot defeat. As Zor would say, how pointless."
"Don't break too easily!"

Also Zavok's 2nd fight gave a lot of people problems because they did not know about the Charged Homming attack or kick. While most would figure out the kick the charged homing attack was too much for them and they would get their rear end kicked by the guy. Anyway once you know the mechanics he goes down fairly easily but he is the hardest Zeti fight so far in the game by far.

There's also a chance for the player to be tripped up if they don't charge up enough or if they hit the charged attack too late. It's a good way to think that a charged attack isn't the way to beat the boss.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010
I fully support a "Make An Original Zeti (do not steal)" contest. Even if we don't get to HonkHonk levels of excellence I still want to see what people will come up with. :allears: (but Hedgehog the Sonic will always be my personal favorite)

MassRafTer posted:

There's also a chance for the player to be tripped up if they don't charge up enough or if they hit the charged attack too late. It's a good way to think that a charged attack isn't the way to beat the boss.
This boss fight felt like the only one that was almost there in terms of good difficulty and a neat gimmick. If only the charged attack was explained beforehand, and maybe if it did something to indicate it was the way to go even if you messed up the timing. Even knowing the proper strategy it still has a bit of challenge to it with obstacles to dodge and such. Overall it's miles better than every other boss we've seen.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

MassRafTer posted:

Zavok is the barrel of Sonic Lost World.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ramengank posted:

Overall it's miles better than every other boss we've seen.

Zor could be interesting if he was not so fragile and easy to take down.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Don't worry this game has a couple more chances for decent bosses.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Here's the rest of the Sky Road red star rings plus the bonus life I couldn't get.

Bonus video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAOBJP7-4sc

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

A stunning cutscene, a boss rush and then one of the most challenging levels in the game! Sonic can handle it, but he needs a break after all that. He'll take a quick vacation to Hyrule as we check out the other free DLC!

Part 10 (Skyward Sonic): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0IVg0-js2E

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Since you encouraged it.

The little unarmored skeletons are Stalchildren. The big armored ones are Stalfos.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

I haven't played a Zelda game since Ocarina either, but I've been watching Geop and his minions' LP of Wind Waker and it looks like it'd be a lot of fun.

I really need to try the DLC for this game. I'm still stuck in Silent Forest with some of the red star rings, and I find myself going back to the ice stages cause I really like the music. So after your initial boss gauntlet against Zazz, Fatso and the sensei, their final defeat is just "poofing"? I thought there'd be some cartoony cutscene showing Sonic's victory over them.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Digital Jello posted:

I haven't played a Zelda game since Ocarina either, but I've been watching Geop and his minions' LP of Wind Waker and it looks like it'd be a lot of fun.

I really need to try the DLC for this game. I'm still stuck in Silent Forest with some of the red star rings, and I find myself going back to the ice stages cause I really like the music. So after your initial boss gauntlet against Zazz, Fatso and the sensei, their final defeat is just "poofing"? I thought there'd be some cartoony cutscene showing Sonic's victory over them.

It would've been nice if they would go flying off into the abyss like Eggman. That actually would have been satisfying because the first time I saw Eggman fall I was actually pretty shocked.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

As much as I'd like to see Eggman avenged, I can't deny the Zetis are pretty likeable in a cartoony, Bugs Bunny-sort of way. I don't think they'd need a painful end, but a more definitive defeat would've gone well with the game's plot. Also, with the best three of the Deadly Six out of the way, that leaves us with the devil, the emo beatnik, and the bimbo. I'm really curious to see how the finale plays out.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
We realized it'd be silly to start a contest now since we're basically at the end of the game, so we'll hold off on that until another game. When I get all of the red rings I will have unlocked Super Sonic, so:

What stages would you like to see me replay with Super Sonic? Super Sonic is really awesome and fast in this game.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

MassRafTer posted:

We realized it'd be silly to start a contest now since we're basically at the end of the game, so we'll hold off on that until another game. When I get all of the red rings I will have unlocked Super Sonic, so:

What stages would you like to see me replay with Super Sonic? Super Sonic is really awesome and fast in this game.

First stage, do the speedrun.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

MassRafTer posted:

does his grinding differ in any appreciable way? If so do the hard stage with him.

Also the bosses obviously.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Do that bonus stage where all the platforms start falling when you touch them.

Also the Yoshi/Zelda stages, if they can be done in super-mode.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Stallion Cabana posted:

does his grinding differ in any appreciable way? If so do the hard stage with him.

Also the bosses obviously.

You actually cannot use Super Sonic in the grind levels.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Can you use him in the Flappy Hog levels?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It could be fun to see you use it to rip apart the level you think is the hardest in the game(That you can super sonic on)

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

I'd like to see him blow through any of the stages in Frozen Factory or Sky Road. If only cause said stages have some really catchy melodies.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Go through any of the levels featuring a boss (including the boss rush levels if you can get 50 rings on them) and engage in the classic Sonic tradition of curbstomping a boss by just standing on top of them with Super Sonic.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

It's time. Sonic has to confront the remaining Deadly Six, save Tails and make sure Eggman did not fry in vain. Can Sonic do it? Can he save the day, save the world and I guess Amy too? Find out now! Stay tuned for Super Sonic and the HIDDEN WORLD too!

Part 11 (Avenging Eggman): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_Qy8MwVO28

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
Wait, you know you can lightdash with Hover right? Just use the dash feature toward a line of rings. Admittedly, I had no idea either until I saw it mentioned in the Games thread.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Captain Toad next? Well, you better make sure you grab your adventuring toolkit complete with headlamp and Toad Brigade membership cards. I'd link it but I'm on my phone at the moment.

So this Eggman fight is basically a remake of the one in Sonic Colors. Very similar attacks, same endless running setup, you attack the same way, by chaining homing attacks up his body... You can even completely trivialize both fights by attacking again right after hitting him. If you fight him without doing that extra homing attack, he takes four or five rounds, which feels a little more climactic. Still, I like it. It's nice to cap things off with a proper Dr. Eggman fight after a whole game of the kinda lame Deadly Six.

Great job with the LP, you really gave this game a good shake. Looking forward to the bonus videos. And Captain Toad. I need to finish that myself.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dresh posted:

Wait, you know you can lightdash with Hover right? Just use the dash feature toward a line of rings. Admittedly, I had no idea either until I saw it mentioned in the Games thread.

Haha, nope. It occurred to me once but I never use it so I never explored it. Typically I only used hover to get those red rings and with the ring lines on the other side of the walls it always seemed easier to just wall run and then use hover if I wasn't lined up. They make it pretty obvious but I never experimented with it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Did tails just un-robot himself off screen? Or what the hell happened there.

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Kurieg posted:

Did tails just un-robot himself off screen? Or what the hell happened there.

Pretty sure Tails just dressed up to look the part and made himself a laser hand cannon. He wasn't actually a robot ever.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Final boss was only two cycles because you hit him with a full power homing attack when he was flopping around. The boss would have been 4 or 5 cycles had you not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I'm telling you, Robotnik stopped being the villain a while ago, but he knows better than anyone how much damage Sonic and and Co can do when they get bored. So he builds robots to dangle in front of Sonic, and then Sonic breaks them, they both go home and start over.

• Locked thread