Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006

No Safe Word posted:

Why is everyone surprised that nobody from their 2005 draft is still on their roster or even in the league? I'd be far more surprised if any remained on a roster with a very small handful of exceptions. I imagine like 90% of the people in the 2005 draft aren't in the NFL at all anyway.

e: 55 of the 255 are still active, just counting through the bold guys on this list but that includes many folks who had zero snaps in 2014 (like Richie Incognito, Kelvin Hayden) so ...

That's why I think the Eagles' was especially good. One of our starting linemen and one of our starting linebackers are from that draft. Plus a guy who used to start at NT for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

JT Jag posted:

The Jaguars don't have a single member of their 2005 draft class still on their roster.

The Titans have Michael Roos, and that's it. But hey, we drafted Pacman Jones, so it wasn't a complete waste for the league, even if it was for them.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

JT Jag posted:

The Jaguars don't have a single member of their 2005 draft class still on their roster.

2006 was one of Shack Harris' best years because it gave us MJD. Still have Marcedes Lewis.

No one remains on the roster from the 2007 draft. Or the 2008 draft. Or the 2009 draft.

Tyson Alualu is the only player that remains from the Jaguars' 2010 draft. Once Cecil Shorts leaves in free agency this offseason, there will be no trace of the 2011 draft on this roster. Most of the 2012 draft class is out of the league already.

Go Jaguars.

What the gently caress...I thought the Falcons had problems with drafting...

No Safe Word posted:

Why is everyone surprised that nobody from their 2005 draft is still on their roster or even in the league? I'd be far more surprised if any remained on a roster with a very small handful of exceptions. I imagine like 90% of the people in the 2005 draft aren't in the NFL at all anyway.

e: 55 of the 255 are still active, just counting through the bold guys on this list but that includes many folks who had zero snaps in 2014 (like Richie Incognito, Kelvin Hayden) so ...

Falcons have two remaining :smug:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Chilichimp posted:

What the gently caress...I thought the Falcons had problems with drafting...
Shack Harris was a bad GM. He had a knack for second round picks, though. Rashean Mathis, Daryl Smith and MJD were some of the best players in franchise history, and Khalif Barnes and Justin Durant were both contributors for a time. His first round picks were just as bad as his second round picks were good, though, drafting the likes of Byron Leftwich, Reggie Williams, Matt Jones, Marcedes Lewis and Reggie Nelson. Those first three aren't in the league anymore, Lewis is the only remaining Shack Harris pick on the team and the exception to the rule, and Reggie Nelson was horrible until he became a Bengal and started being good.

In 2008, he was replaced by Gene Smith, who was an irredeemable black hole of horrible GMing. He is responsible for drafting Derrick Harvey and Quinton Groves in 2008. Harvey is out of the league, Groves is a journeyman. He drafted Eugene Monroe and Eben Britton in 2009. Probably his best draft, Monroe was a good left tackle for years and was traded last season and Britton's career was derailed by injuries. In 2010 he traded his second round pick to move up to get Tyson Alualu. He hasn't been worth his selection, but he is still on the team. In 2011, he moved up to acquire Blaine Gabbert. The less said about that, the better. In 2012, he picked up Justin Blackmon and Andre Branch. Seemed promising, but Blackmon is still a shithead and Branch hasn't developed into a good pass rusher. Finally he got shitcanned. Thank god. Dave Caldwell's last two drafts have nearly been better than the ten years of drafting before it put together.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The Bengals playoff futility facts with Marvin Lewis!

Trends:
  • In six playoff appearances the Bengals best score (17 with All-world QB Jon Kitna) would not win against their opponent's lowest score (19 against the Texans in 2012).
  • In the second half the Bengals have been outscored 84-13 in six games. That's a 6.5 to 1 ratio.
  • Only one player has scored more than 1 TD in 6 games. That includes rushing, passing and defensive. Benson has two TDs (2009, 2011).
  • Cincinnati has never won the turnover battle.
  • Opposing Ds average over 3 sacks a game
  • Opposing D's average over 2 turnovers a game.
  • The Bengals have had the lead for a grand total of 59:50.

Passing:
  • The longest pass in Marvin's tenure was Palmer's only throw in the 2005 game.
  • The Bengals average .5 TDs a game and 1.5 interceptions.
  • 57% completion percentage with 5.5 YPA for a 60 passer rating
  • Two QBs have thrown for more than 200 yards
  • The Bengals have only had one receiver with over 80 yards in 6 games (Jones, '12 with 130)

Rushing:
  • Have never scored more than one rushing TD in a single game.
  • Average .66 rushing TDs a game.
  • Average 5.5 YPA.
  • Have never rushed for more yards than their opponent.
  • Only one 100 yard rusher (Benson)

Defense:
  • Opposing QBs average a 71% completion percentage
  • Less than one sack a game on average

:smith:

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 13, 2015

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Eifert Posting posted:

Trends:
  • In six playoff appearances the Bengals best score (17 with All-world QB Jon Kitna) would not win against their opponent's lowest score (19 against the Texans in 2012).
  • In the second half the Bengals have been outscored 84-13 in six games. That's a 6.5 to 1 ratio.
  • Only one player has scored more than 1 TD in 6 games. That includes rushing, passing and defensive. Benson has two TDs (2009, 2011).

Passing:
  • The Bengals have only had one receiver with over 80 yards in 6 games (Jones, '12 with 130)

Rushing:
  • Average 5.5 YPA.

Defense:

Making the playoffs is the best you can ask for. One of these years things will click in the postseason and the Bengals will start clowning fools 28-3 and be an unstoppable juggernaut. Trust me.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

axeil posted:

Making the playoffs is the best you can ask for. One of these years things will click in the postseason and the Bengals will start clowning fools 28-3 and be an unstoppable juggernaut. Trust me.
When you're being reassured about your team's postseason fortunes by an Eagles fan you know things aren't going good for you.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

JT Jag posted:

When you're being reassured about your team's postseason fortunes by an Eagles fan you know things aren't going good for you.

I think all the teams that haven't won Super Bowls will win one someday, even the Jags :unsmith:

It just might be after we're all dead :smith:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

Trends:

Passing:

Rushing:
  • Average 5.5 YPA.

Defense:

be happy your team is actually in the playoffs

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

axeil posted:

I think all the teams that haven't won Super Bowls will win one someday, even the Jags :unsmith:

It just might be after we're all dead :smith:

The MJD halcyon days weren't all that long ago, maybe a decade. I could see the Jags doing well by the start of next decade. Probably sooner than I can the Titans, since I feel like no one really gives a poo poo with Tennessee's ownership.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Probably Magic posted:

The MJD halcyon days weren't all that long ago, maybe a decade. I could see the Jags doing well by the start of next decade. Probably sooner than I can the Titans, since I feel like no one really gives a poo poo with Tennessee's ownership.

The Titans were a first-round bye team back in 2008, really the only teams that haven't had anything good to look back on are the Bills (last playoff appearance: 1999) and the Browns 2.0 (last playoffs appearance: 2002). There are kids that can drive who have never seen the Bills in the playoffs in their lifetime. That's absurd.

Also a fun fact for Jags fans: The Jags have the lowest point total in a blown lead out of any NFL team. They blew a 17 point lead to the Ravens in 2000. Since then they have won every game where they've lead by at least 18. Every other NFL team has blown leads of larger margins. It's not much, but it's something.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/blown_leads.htm

axeil fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jan 13, 2015

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Metapod posted:

be happy your team is actually in the playoffs

Define "in."

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

they were a participant

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
All I'm saying is that at some point the competition committee will realize it's unfair that 3 AFC teams get byes every year.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

JT Jag posted:

Shack Harris was a bad GM. He had a knack for second round picks, though. Rashean Mathis, Daryl Smith and MJD were some of the best players in franchise history, and Khalif Barnes and Justin Durant were both contributors for a time. His first round picks were just as bad as his second round picks were good, though, drafting the likes of Byron Leftwich, Reggie Williams, Matt Jones, Marcedes Lewis and Reggie Nelson. Those first three aren't in the league anymore, Lewis is the only remaining Shack Harris pick on the team and the exception to the rule, and Reggie Nelson was horrible until he became a Bengal and started being good.

In 2008, he was replaced by Gene Smith, who was an irredeemable black hole of horrible GMing. He is responsible for drafting Derrick Harvey and Quinton Groves in 2008. Harvey is out of the league, Groves is a journeyman. He drafted Eugene Monroe and Eben Britton in 2009. Probably his best draft, Monroe was a good left tackle for years and was traded last season and Britton's career was derailed by injuries. In 2010 he traded his second round pick to move up to get Tyson Alualu. He hasn't been worth his selection, but he is still on the team. In 2011, he moved up to acquire Blaine Gabbert. The less said about that, the better. In 2012, he picked up Justin Blackmon and Andre Branch. Seemed promising, but Blackmon is still a shithead and Branch hasn't developed into a good pass rusher. Finally he got shitcanned. Thank god. Dave Caldwell's last two drafts have nearly been better than the ten years of drafting before it put together.

Every now and then I suddenly remember that they drafted Matt loving Jones in the first round. And I die a little inside.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

Grozz Nuy posted:

Quarterback and cornerback are two of the three positions that traditionally have the greatest adjustment period from college to the NFL, I think you need to give them a little more time before you completely write them off.

people called jimmy smith a bust his first few years in baltimore even though he had some rough luck with injuries and all of his problems were extremely coachable, he tackles well and had everything there to be a physical corner but was getting beat by vet WRs doing double moves on him

fast forward to this season when ravens fans start hitting the panic button when jimmy went down, even before he went to IR

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

xeria posted:

Every now and then I suddenly remember that they drafted Matt loving Jones in the first round. And I die a little inside.
My dad was so fuckin' excited about that pick, he thought it was can't miss, I mean, look at his combine stats and his size and how can't he be great right

ugh

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

JT Jag posted:

My dad was so fuckin' excited about that pick, he thought it was can't miss, I mean, look at his combine stats and his size and how can't he be great right

ugh

Drafting a white WR in the 1st round is a crime against sports. If Jordy Nelson got drafted in the 1st the universe would've made him a bust, and rightfully so.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

JT Jag posted:

ugh

Is your dad Jerry Jones

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

No Safe Word posted:

Is your dad Jerry Jones
There's actually a little resemblance now that I think about it, but my dad isn't senile yet

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

commy gun posted:

Drafting a white WR in the 1st round is a crime against sports. If Jordy Nelson got drafted in the 1st the universe would've made him a bust, and rightfully so.

Honestly, if Brian Walters weren't white I probably wouldn't care that he was our punt returner, but he is, so I do.

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

If Jimmy/Torrey end up not forcing Baltimore to overpay the front 7 makes it to where the team only needs a mediocre secondary to have a really good defense. If they can lock up Osemele when his contract is up in 2016 it'll open up a window for Baltimore to be a serious contender for a few season. It was really bad this year but that was to a lot of bad luck and I think it won't take very long to address the issue. If the work gets done on defense Ozzie might finally accidentally look at WR prospects early in the draft. That would be cool and worth the risk to pull the trigger on one. The impact it would have with the personnel and a real OC right now would be huge.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Pron on VHS posted:

Running around after an inflated ball is serious mans business, only thing that compares is being troops

jj watt is insanely good and it's amazing watching him play and any team would love to have him on their roster because we won't see a player like him for another generation, at least. but if he were in the military he'd get tillman'd in a loving hurry because holy poo poo is nothing worse than being stuck in closed quarters with some hyper-square rear end in a top hat with no sense of humor for extended periods of time. being as serious as he is about football even when just talking casually about it is lol as gently caress because even actual combat veterans don't talk about their service as seriously as he treats pigskin and it'd get old really loving quick

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Yeah he'd totally get murdered for being annoying hooorah support the troops

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

wheez the roux posted:

jj watt is insanely good and it's amazing watching him play and any team would love to have him on their roster because we won't see a player like him for another generation, at least. but if he were in the military he'd get tillman'd in a loving hurry because holy poo poo is nothing worse than being stuck in closed quarters with some hyper-square rear end in a top hat with no sense of humor for extended periods of time. being as serious as he is about football even when just talking casually about it is lol as gently caress because even actual combat veterans don't talk about their service as seriously as he treats pigskin and it'd get old really loving quick

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read in TFF, even for a Seahawks poster

Also: do you really think the military is short of guys who take the whole thing super seriously?

e3 (annihilates e2!): Oof I'm pretty annoyed by this not just because he's on my favorite team but ugh I should just take a step back. Still think it's v dumb

Intruder fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jan 13, 2015

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
every post is I make is extremely 100% serious.

yes the military has plenty of people who take it super seriously. those people are generally considered super laughable, annoying, or generally mocked by the vast majority who aren't like that. being hyper-serious 100% of the time is very rarely endearing to anyone and watt's teammate probably only put up with it because he's so insanely good. if he were even just well above average the tolerance for it would plummet

and there's a difference between "being serious about football" and going out of your way to criticize twitter or anything else other players do on their downtime because it "doesn't have sacks." that's self-parody territory

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I'm just saying, if JJ Watt were in my unit we'd give him a blanket party real quick :mil101:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

JJ Watt is super serious about football arguably to a fault, but what you can't argue is the results

Being the way he is might not be necessary for everyone but obviously it works for him

It's not like I'm saying everyone has to be super serious all the time

e: This whole thing is making me chuckle a bit because the most super serious military dude I know washed out of marine boot camp

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Intruder posted:

JJ Watt is super serious about football arguably to a fault, but what you can't argue is the results

Being the way he is might not be necessary for everyone but obviously it works for him

It's not like I'm saying everyone has to be super serious all the time

e: This whole thing is making me chuckle a bit because the most super serious military dude I know washed out of marine boot camp

I did not WASH OUT, I was asked to leave, and I followed the order like a good soldier.

I NEVER QUIT.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Grozz Nuy posted:

Quarterback and cornerback are two of the three positions that traditionally have the greatest adjustment period from college to the NFL, I think you need to give them a little more time before you completely write them off.

I agree, the conversation started because Chilichimp said that 32 teams would argue they had the best draft of 2014, I was saying the Browns would get laughed out of the room. So just evaluating our draft against others', I mean, you can't say Manziel has been better than Bridgewater or Carr and you can't say Gilbert has been better than Fuller or Benwikere or um even the other two rookie CBs the Browns had, so for right now, the Browns couldn't argue they had the best draft of 2014

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

e: Eh dumb derail

JJ is really good though

Intruder fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 13, 2015

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Alouicious posted:

I did not WASH OUT, I was asked to leave, and I followed the order like a good soldier.

I NEVER QUIT.

Well, none of this true.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Chilichimp posted:

Well, none of this true.

it's a reference

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

wheez the roux posted:

I see soldiers do the typical ornery poo poo about how stupid selfies are and stuff are all the time. Now, if JJ Watt ever said, "Yeah, well, maybe Rodgers is playing too much Call of Duty instead of keeping his nose in the playbook," then... then he'd get Tillman'd.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Probably Magic posted:

I see soldiers do the typical ornery poo poo about how stupid selfies are and stuff are all the time. Now, if JJ Watt ever said, "Yeah, well, maybe Rodgers is playing too much Call of Duty instead of keeping his nose in the playbook," then... then he'd get Tillman'd.

Soldiers playing Call of Duty strikes me as something people are going to look back on 20 years from now and think was really, really weird.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
CoD might be the most successful recruitment tool since conscription, so maybe not.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Alouicious posted:

it's a reference

Right on.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

SlipUp posted:

CoD might be the most successful recruitment tool since conscription, so maybe not.

"Do I unlock SitRep after basic?"
"......sure."

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

SlipUp posted:

I dunno, I am pretty sure GI Joe and Stripes made sure the military had its numbers in the 80s and 90s.

Also stripes is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

waah posted:

I dunno, I am pretty sure GI Joe and Stripes made sure the military had its numbers in the 80s and 90s.

Also stripes is great.

Stripes is the platonic ideal of military life.

• Locked thread