Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
Reposting from the Amateur Radio Thread:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'm thinking of whipping up a 13.560 MHz beacon and/or transmitter to gently caress around with.

tl;dr the 22 meter ISM band has way higher power limits than any other, about 10,000 uV at 30 meters which translates to about 2 milliwatts into a full sized dipole. Anybody who has messed with QRP ham stuff knows that can get out there if the conditions are right. You can even broadcast AM if you center it right around 13.560.

Maybe start out with a simple slow speed CW beacon, which could be pretty much done with an eBay digital synth board and an on/off transistor

Be neat to see how far it goes out from Denver!

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Aren't those things littered all over the Death Valley area?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
I'm in Colorado Springs, so I look forward to hearing it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I was listening to plenty of SW last night with my Kenwood transceiver but I think I'd like a simple portable unit. I'm considering either a Tecsun PL-380 or a Tecsun PL-310... the PL-310 seems to have a nicer tuning knob, so I'm leaning toward that, but any recommendations would be great.

I'm wondering if I should shell out the extra $40 for the Tecsun PL-600, which adds SSB... but it sounds like most SW broadcasting will be AM anyway, in regular practice as an American listener is it worth getting SSB?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Absolutely and I wouldn't buy a non-vintage receiver without it. SSB opens up your world to a whole bunch of ham, utility and fax broadcasts when you get tired of SWBC.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

Absolutely and I wouldn't buy a non-vintage receiver without it. SSB opens up your world to a whole bunch of ham, utility and fax broadcasts when you get tired of SWBC.

What would you consider the current best sub-$100 receiver with SSB? The Tecsun PL-600 looks pretty decent but I guess you don't get a USB/LSB selector, just some knob to twiddle on the side that no Youtube reviewers seem to be able to make work.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Kaito KA-1103 has like a 4.6 average out of 5 across 80 reviews on eham, and those guys are pretty critical. I'd take a look at one of those maybe.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Synchronous AM is also nice for reducing interference, it's basically SSB but it automatically zero beats on the carrier.

My PL-660 is pretty good except for no noise blanker, but that's more of a high end feature.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I ordered a PL-600 last night. Considered the KA-1103 but it's just too drat ugly and that display is really very silly-looking. Hopefully I'll have the radio by Wednesday.

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax

Pham Nuwen posted:

I ordered a PL-600 last night. Considered the KA-1103 but it's just too drat ugly and that display is really very silly-looking. Hopefully I'll have the radio by Wednesday.

I just got that radio and I really love it so far. The only thing that bugs me, and this might affect other radios and not just the PL-600, is that I have to keep it away from my computer by several feet on some bands or there's too much noise- even if I'm using the external antenna jack and that antenna is far from the PC. Then again, this building is a massive RFI hot zone.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Kind of a odd question but I got a Grundig G6 a few years ago and the rubberized coating on it has started detonating into a sticky mess, and it's really disgusting. Any suggestions on how to clean it up?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

C.M. Kruger posted:

Kind of a odd question but I got a Grundig G6 a few years ago and the rubberized coating on it has started detonating into a sticky mess, and it's really disgusting. Any suggestions on how to clean it up?

I don't have a Grundig but in general, I'd try some rubbing alcohol. That shouldn't hurt the underlying plastic, worst case it just doesn't do anything.

If the alcohol doesn't work, I'd try carefully applying some acetone, preferably somewhere inconspicuous to start in case it fucks up the plastic.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

C.M. Kruger posted:

Rubbing alcohol and toothpicks, plus an xacto knife for large sections. I managed to get the rubber off of a disintegrating mouse wheel with a fair bit of success that way.

foobar
Jul 6, 2002

I've had great success with Goo Gone from the dollar store

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

PL-600 showed up yesterday, I like it!

Didn't pick up a ton yesterday because I was just using the built-in whip, but this morning I got Radio Free Asia out of... Tajikistan? On 11945 kHz, clear as a bell, even on the whip. I sent them a QSO via e-mail.

I also picked up Australia, a bit faint, but not too bad.

The proliferation of cheap lovely wall-warts has really made listening harder than it probably was in the 60s... I've got the radio on my nightstand and if a phone is charging, MW and SW are both hosed. At least I don't have any more compact fluorescent bulbs on dimmers, that used to DESTROY my old tube radio no matter where it was in the house.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Pham Nuwen posted:

PL-600 showed up yesterday, I like it!

Didn't pick up a ton yesterday because I was just using the built-in whip, but this morning I got Radio Free Asia out of... Tajikistan? On 11945 kHz, clear as a bell, even on the whip. I sent them a QSO via e-mail.

I also picked up Australia, a bit faint, but not too bad.

The proliferation of cheap lovely wall-warts has really made listening harder than it probably was in the 60s... I've got the radio on my nightstand and if a phone is charging, MW and SW are both hosed. At least I don't have any more compact fluorescent bulbs on dimmers, that used to DESTROY my old tube radio no matter where it was in the house.

Bring a little hunk of wire with you and go for a nice hike. Elevation helps, but good clear terrain away from humanity in general is good.

You'll think your radio is broken when you first turn it on because the noise floor is so low out there. I remember going camping with my HF radio for the first time, "huh there's nothing on" and then I spin past a CW signal that was so loud it rattled my fillings. Guy was running 10 watts from across the country.

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax
So far, been mapping all the signals I can receive clearly on a map of the world. If/when I get some QSL cards (expecting some in the mail presently) I'll tie them to the tacks with string, detective-drama movie style. When I can transmit, I intend to start swapping these pins out for colored ones indicating successful QSOs in different modes. So far so good! *hugs his obedient little TecSun.*

EDIT: Add clear pins for Iran, Texas, Peru and Greece

General Tofu fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 14, 2015

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

That's really cool!

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax
Been a while since I posted one of these. Here's an interesting 'new' preacher on 5830 KHz. I hope they respond to my reception report so I can see if their newsletters are as crazy as their broadcasts.

5830 KHz: Stomp Satan, Because of the Israeli Matrix
https://soundcloud.com/deven-gallo/5830-khz-wtww-scriptures-for-america

Major points to take away:
- Science fiction was created to fool you into not believing Satan exists
- We will stomp Satan
- Satan makes youtube not work terribly well during the broadcast
- Early stages of senility/alzheimer's
- Independece Day was about Satan and Sorcerors
- I forget what psalm I was on
- The federal reserve or something
- amen

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax
Here is the same recording after I used Audacity to filter out the sound of my very loud keyboard. Please let me know what you think of the difference- I might use the same noise profile on all my future recordings if it doesn't muffle the program too much.

https://soundcloud.com/deven-gallo/5830-khz-wtww-scriptures-for-america-detypified

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
I really wish the Third Eagle of the apocalypse would get on the ball and start a shortwave station.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

Dee's images would look even more unsettling over SSTV.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

General Tofu posted:

So far, been mapping all the signals I can receive clearly on a map of the world. If/when I get some QSL cards (expecting some in the mail presently) I'll tie them to the tacks with string, detective-drama movie style. When I can transmit, I intend to start swapping these pins out for colored ones indicating successful QSOs in different modes. So far so good! *hugs his obedient little TecSun.*

EDIT: Add clear pins for Iran, Texas, Peru and Greece

:hfive: I have the same thing, a sweet-rear end Tyvek map with pins. My record so far is picking up Iran with my trusty Buzz Aldrin edition Grundig G-6, hitched to an old set of tv rabbit ears.

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax

JacquelineDempsey posted:

:hfive: I have the same thing, a sweet-rear end Tyvek map with pins. My record so far is picking up Iran with my trusty Buzz Aldrin edition Grundig G-6, hitched to an old set of tv rabbit ears.

Hey, awesome! I'd love to see a pic of yours sometime. I think I used to have the G6 .. is it the one with the built-in MP3 recorder?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I re-repaired my old MW tube radio last night, set it up in the kitchen, and turned off every light in the house (loving dimmers).

Goddamn, this thing can pick up a lot! I was getting beautiful clear signals everywhere along the spectrum, while my Tecsun can barely find anything even with a wire strung up around my ceiling. Now, to be fair, I should try it with the Tecsun in the kitchen instead of the other side of the house, but holy poo poo.

Found a neat station out in the Central Valley that plays oldies, which is a nice change from the sports & Jesus which otherwise fill AM (ok, 1170 Desi Radio is fun too)

I kind of regret that I intend to sell the old radio, but since it's completely useless if the kitchen light is on I just don't get much use out of it.

General Tofu
Nov 20, 2014

by Lowtax
To make up for not posting a new one lately, here's an interesting recording from tonight. A guy on IRC thinks it's an Air Force EAM:

Odd Alphanumerics around 80 Meters
Suspect encrypted message overheard on 4723.730 KHz at ~0100 AM EST, ~0600 Zulu time. Filtered in audacity for greater clarity.
Excerpt: ... "3 U G T K M 4 T U Q 4 S O 5 N I L 4 A V I Q J S Z 4 L O I G "...

Recording:
https://soundcloud.com/deven-gallo/4723730-khz-odd-alphanumerics

General Tofu fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 15, 2015

Illegal Clown
Feb 18, 2004

General Tofu posted:

To make up for not posting a new one lately, here's an interesting recording from tonight. A guy on IRC thinks it's an Air Force EAM:

Odd Alphanumerics around 80 Meters
Suspect encrypted message overheard on 4723.730 KHz at ~0100 AM EST, ~0600 Zulu time. Filtered in audacity for greater clarity.
Excerpt: ... "3 U G T K M 4 T U Q 4 S O 5 N I L 4 A V I Q J S Z 4 L O I G "...

Recording:
https://soundcloud.com/deven-gallo/4723730-khz-odd-alphanumerics
Yeah, that sounds like the EAMs I've heard in the past.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
For beginners that want a super cheap set to play around with, RadioShack has its travel AM/FM/SW radios for $13 after all close out discounts.

No sb capabilities and the one I got picks up a ton of interference and is nowhere as good as my vintage Zenith, but for $13, why not?

If you can stand the depression of seeing a former beacon of fun and science in the mall in such a pathetic state.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
I'm reading UVB-76 is offline? I know it's happened before, but some interesting timing for that.

edit:
\/\/ either way, it didn't matter because Putin has re-appeared

shoplifter fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Mar 16, 2015

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

shoplifter posted:

I'm reading UVB-76 is offline? I know it's happened before, but some interesting timing for that.

Probably bad reception at the SDR receiver site or the stream(s) are down. As of a few days ago I was hearing a faint UVB-76 buzz in Maryland.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

shoplifter posted:

edit:
\/\/ either way, it didn't matter because Putin has re-appeared

ce gars
Dec 31, 2007

Finally took the jump and bought a SW radio not too long ago. I went all in and got the Tecsun PL-880 and I love it. I live in an apartment that's not on the top floor, so I ran the antenna it came with out of my window and up on the top of my porch. Hopefully people don't think I'm too :tinfoil: because of it.

I was listening a week or two ago and managed to pick up a numbers station from Cuba completely by accident. It was pretty eerie.
Pretty sure it was this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pi-QPcd2Vw

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Well this is interesting, I just ordered a Kaito KA-228 for $10 on Amazon, and I swear it picks up more SW stations than my PL-600. May tune FM better too.

I guess the advantage of the PL-600 is that it shows you the actual frequency, while with the Kaito it's more like "I think the dial is on... around 9800 kHz?"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I heard my first pirate beacon through my own radio :D

I've heard the A beacon through a Cali guy's websdr setup, but not on my own stuff.

I got a 40 meter Windom up this week and it's really good for shortwave, and I managed to copy the DM beacon on 4091 khz last night. Faint but definitely there. Had to actually go to CW mode and narrow things down to catch it reliably.

http://www.hfunderground.com/wiki/High_Frequency_Beacon

Good way to test your listening post here.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
I thought you guys would appreciate this. A friend teaching english in Beijing sent it to me knowing I collect vintage radios. I can now say I'm probably one of a handful of people in the US who own a tube radio made in Red China during the mid 60's, in the heat of the cultural revolution.
It's a "Plum Flower" 750-A

When I got it, It needed new filter capacitors, a dial drive cord, and a new ECH81 detector/first IF tube.
It covers AM/MW and general coverage Shortwave 3-20 MHZ.
Strangely enough, despite being built in china at at time when the country was more or less closed to foreign trade, all of the dial scales and labels on this set are printed in English, including the values on indvidual parts, caps, resistors, etc.
Supposedly the Communist party had a plan to export electronic products to the west, but it never went anywhere.

In terms of construction and quality, it shares a lot more with Japanese and European radios of the mid 1950's than their not so good Russian neighbors to the north. It's actually a half decent performer on Shortwave with a longwire antenna, and due to the 6P1P (soviet block miniature 6V6GT equivalent) audio output tube and big oval speaker, has good sound.

I'm currently listening to the evening English broadcast of Radio Habana Cuba as I type this post.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 15, 2015

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
words cannot describe how dope that is, holy poo poo

what a unicorn, as far as the free world is concerned

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

Jonny 290 posted:

words cannot describe how dope that is, holy poo poo

what a unicorn, as far as the free world is concerned

I found out after mine arrived that these sets are all over Taobao, the Chinese ebay, and you can get one for yourself for around $100USD shipped, if you're so inclined. Most of them are selling for under $30USD, the shipping is what kills you. You have to use a Taobao agent though. They're English speakers who will purchase the item and then pack and ship it to you VIA air mail.

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
This is pretty exciting!

http://artbell.com/art-bells-new-show-faq/

Q. Will Art be on Shortwave radio?

A. In fact yes! We have made a deal with a shortwave station out of Tennessee, WTWW on 5,085 khz, a good frequency to be heard at that time of night. They will carry just the LIVE portion of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Radio Nowhere posted:

This is pretty exciting!

http://artbell.com/art-bells-new-show-faq/

Q. Will Art be on Shortwave radio?

A. In fact yes! We have made a deal with a shortwave station out of Tennessee, WTWW on 5,085 khz, a good frequency to be heard at that time of night. They will carry just the LIVE portion of the show.

Perfect range for me! Good thing too, since the only working set I have right now is a $13 RadioShack one.

• Locked thread