Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

Longbow only does 1d8, so altogether it's only 1d8+5+1d6 Cold (and another 1d10 Cold on a crit). The cold damage is probably resisted or ignored outright, and 6-13 is easily ignorable on average for Damage Reduction 10. The biggest thing for +5 weapons isn't their bonus damage, it's helping you actually hit. +1 to Hit is always much more useful than +1 damage, especially for rogues who throw out more d6's than a lotto winner at a strip club throws out singles.

Damage reduction is always overcome by sufficient magical weapons though, isn't it? So she should have like DR 10/+X and it's pretty rare for it to go above +5, a +5 magical weapons should basically null any damage reduction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I think that's how it worked in 3e. In 3.5e a lot of damage reductions are material based, not just bonus based. A lot of golems, for example, have DR/Adamantine.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

jng2058 posted:

Indeed, if they'd kept their eye on the prize and just converged on the Mantle, killed the Bearer, then taken it away rather than scattering around to try and kill every last goblin man, woman, and child, they probably would have succeeded and both saved the world and kept Azure City from being crushed a few generations later!

IT'S LIKE RAAAAAAAIIINNNNN....

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Damage reduction is always overcome by sufficient magical weapons though, isn't it? So she should have like DR 10/+X and it's pretty rare for it to go above +5, a +5 magical weapons should basically null any damage reduction.

That was 3e. 3.5 does DR by material (Cold Iron, Silver and Adamantine being the most common), with Pathfinder letting sufficient enhancement bonus also bypass DR.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Colonel Cool posted:

The paladins weren't out there massacring goblin villages for the hell of it. They were specifically hunting the bearer of the Crimson Mantle, a guy with an artifact that literally has the potential to destroy the world. I mean it's still bad that some of them got thoroughly carried away and massacred a bunch of goblin civilians in pursuit of the Crimson Mantle, but the overall goal is fairly legitimate.

That is true, but look at HOW they do it.

The attack begins by a paladin riding right through a group of unexpecting goblins, yelling "DIE GOBLINS!" and cutting down an old woman.

The second paladin's line is "Wretched goblins of these forsaken lands, the Twelve Gods have judged your hearts and found them to be Evil. Further, one among you threatens the very foundations of creation itself." Note what they say first.

Next we see a paladin riding down three goblins, two of which are children. Said paladin's line is 'Hey, check it out, three in a row. I'll get to use my Great Cleave feat!"

Redcloak's master IMMEDIATELY challenges ALL the paladins to a fight, BY HIMSELF, to draw their attention away from the other goblins (that's actually kind of valiant). They swarm him and kill him. Okay, they succeeded...and then the leader says "Exterminate the rest and let us be done here."

As a final note, the paladins attempt to ride down and kill Right-Eye, who's just a child, and another kills Redcloak and Right-Eye's sister without blinking.

And WHY are they doing this? Because the 'Good gods' decided their clerics needed sentient fodder for their XP, and when a goblin said 'screw this' and tried to bring about change, they murdered him (as far as we know), and when his people understandably flipped out and went nuts, it further justified to the 'good' races that goblins needed to be exterminated to a being, to the point where they aren't even allowed to form any kind of civilization. When PALADINS are treating killing goblins like a game and coldly exterminating women and children, you know things have gone terribly, TERRIBLY wrong.

Redcloak is a massive poo poo who sees all humans as the same because that's what the gods wanted, and oh boy the bill may be coming due. (Which fits overall with Rich's general theme of 'Alignments labels don't mean crap in the end.', which is probably commentary on gaming sessions he's experienced)

Cornwind Evil fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 13, 2015

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

I can't remember the exact quote, but I'm fairly sure that Rich has said that many of the paladins that attacked Redcloak's tribe Fell, they just didn't get as spectacular a show as Miko did. Something about the difference between being given a pink slip and the CEO coming down personally to fire you.

But yeah, the gods hosed up in creating the monster races, and I definitely think Rich is taking the story in a direction where they're going to pay for it.

e: Found it. So that was a lot more vague than I had thought, but he still implies that some of them Fell.

MildShow fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jan 13, 2015

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Damage reduction: non-magic.

No high level party would have an answer. :colbert:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Eifert Posting posted:

Damage reduction: non-magic.

No high level party would have an answer. :colbert:

Baldur's Gate 2 had this and they just threw non-magic items at you in the areas you would encounter them. Game balance! :downs:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Shugojin posted:

Baldur's Gate 2 had this and they just threw non-magic items at you in the areas you would encounter them. Game balance! :downs:

Here, let me make your party go all the loving way back to a merchant so they can pass this one room.

What's that? Players get fed up with that kind of bullshit and badmouth your product? Noooooo.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

e X posted:

Yeah, Azure City kinda had it coming. It really highlights how hosed up the world is when PALADINS of all people can basically commit genocide because, well, goblins are all born evil after all :downs: .

Goblins were literally put on earth by God to be killed. There's nothing wrong with it. You might as well hate Azure City because they ate all the pies, even the little baby pies. Thats how the world was set up.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cliff Racer posted:

Goblins were literally put on earth by God to be killed. There's nothing wrong with it. You might as well hate Azure City because they ate all the pies, even the little baby pies. Thats how the world was set up.

lol

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Goblins weren't arbitrarily labeled as evil. Rich has already said that paladins will fall for murdering innocent ones. A neutral or good aligned goblin is entirely possible.

The beauty of the setup is that it doesn't rely on arbitrary labels. Goblins were put in lovely circumstances that makes it incredibly likely that they will be forced to trend towards evil deeds, thereby making them legitimate targets. If a goblin army is trying to conquer your city and enslave/destroy you you might be able to say "Well it is very unfortunate that the gods put them in poor living conditions which thereby encouraged them to raid and pillage", but it doesn't make you any less justified in violently defending yourself.

It's kind of a brilliant setup for the world to encourage perpetual conflict.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Taciturn Tactician posted:

As others have said, DR has many ways to bypass it. So DR X/Magic can be bypassed by any magic weapon (a minimum plus isn't required anymore) while DR X/Cold Iron can be bypassed by any Cold Iron weapon but it must be Cold Iron, a steel magical weapon won't bypass it. And something like DR X/Magic, Cold Iron must be magical and made of Cold Iron to bypass it. And some monsters have DR X/- which can't be bypassed by anything except spell damage or elemental damage (spell damage and elemental damage bypass everything except elemental resistance, so suck it jocks warriors).

So yeah, Crystal probably has DR 10-15/Adamantine. Luckily Haley keeps a stock of special material arrows for just these occasions, specifically Sabine! The problem is is that she has trouble remembering which to use.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

Cliff Racer posted:

Ah, yes...except pies AREN'T SENTIENT. Pies can't make choices, can't have things they love (or hate), don't have anything to take away from them.

Which brings me to another point. Okay, so Rich says some paladins fell for that behavior...except think about it. Why would PALADINS, something that not everyone can become (jokes about levels aside), so blithely commit mass murder? They're supposed to be champions of justice and good; even if circumstances DID force them to wipe out the goblins to a man (being, and it didn't), they should have been grim and troubled by their deeds. You would think that paladins would be firsthand experts on what would make them fall (Miko had to have her troubled mind crack completely in half, after all), and you'd think that outright mass slaughter would have been obviously first and foremost something you should NOT do as a paladin. Yet these paladins blindly charged into the circumstances that would make them fall, some even cracking jokes, seemingly without even realizing it would. Why? Because all of their drat society thinks goblins are XP bags and inherently lacking any worth, so you can kill them without conscience...AND THAT'S WHAT THE drat GODS MADE THEM TO BE. And then after enforcing that viewpoint, they decide 'Oh wait no don't kill the young helpless ones' of the creatures the Gods made so that others could KILL THEM EASILY. The SAPIENT, INTELLIGENT CREATURES that the gods almost TRAINED their peoples to 'dehumanize'.

You know, I was going to originally joke that the Twelve Gods were equally to blame for Miko's fall as her own flaws, if not moreso, but now I'm beginning to think that's absolutely true. The Gods absolutely, utterly SUCK at their drat jobs, and are myopic hypocrites on top of it.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Cliff Racer posted:

Or you could used the better example of cows and pigs.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cornwind Evil posted:

The Gods absolutely, utterly SUCK at their drat jobs, and are myopic hypocrites on top of it.

Maybe the OOtS can replace them.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Do the gods breathe?

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I don't think the OotS gods define good and evil or morality at all. They probably don't even define classes like paladins, for that matter. I think they took a "ruleset" (the laws of their universe) and built a world with it in a way that would encourage behaviour that they wanted to see.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

So nobody's going to talk about the new strip?

Not that there's anything to talk about, barely even a punchline.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

"It took 16 days to make this"?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Man, the new art-style sure is loving ugly. Haven't warmed up to it at all.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cliff Racer posted:

I like it. Not such a fan of the font.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

WarpedLichen posted:

So nobody's going to talk about the new strip?

Fine, fine. Holy Water is a piss poor weapon against the undead, dealing a miserable 2d4 damage as a touch attack. If young miss whatsherface can't do more damage than that with her melee basic, even against crit immune targets like undead or constructs, it's time for her to stop pretending she can help and run away.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This one's pure setup for whatever happens next. The pacing will be fine once it's in a book, but for now I'm just waiting.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Goblins are black people

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Goblins are black people

Please, goblins WISH they were black people. The real world doesn't have legitimately existing godly figures who actually made certain people to be discriminated against/murdered so that their chosen could more easily get stronger at lower risk to their own lives. The racists of this world have enough delusional self-justification and power to do what they do, imagine if they had THAT.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Angela Christine posted:

Maybe the OOtS can replace them.
One of them already is a god, and I'm pretty sure he'd do a much better job at it than the current gods.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Mystic Mongol posted:

Fine, fine. Holy Water is a piss poor weapon against the undead, dealing a miserable 2d4 damage as a touch attack. If young miss whatsherface can't do more damage than that with her melee basic, even against crit immune targets like undead or constructs, it's time for her to stop pretending she can help and run away.

If they have so much DR/AC that Haley's arrows are bouncing off, an attack that does 2d4 and bypasses that would be pretty good actually.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Poil posted:

One of them already is a god

Portfolio domains: War, Sex, Shoelessness

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

ikanreed posted:

Here, let me make your party go all the loving way back to a merchant so they can pass this one room.

What's that? Players get fed up with that kind of bullshit and badmouth your product? Noooooo.

Oh I just meant I thought it was silly that they popped in a critter that basically forced them to do that for this reason. Maybe "game balance" was the wrong word choice.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Mystic Mongol posted:

On the other hand it is a great offhand way to tell the audience "this grey thing isn't another zombie" and to do so in a way that leaves the audience very certain of it.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Poil posted:

One of them already is a god, and I'm pretty sure he'd do a much better job at it than the current gods.
But I thought Banjo didn't want to join the pantheon?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Cliff Racer posted:

I like it a lot. For some reason it kind of refreshes the comic in my mind - OOTS has been plugging away for years and years, but a new book and an art change are enough to make me take notice again.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dolash posted:

I like it a lot. For some reason it kind of refreshes the comic in my mind - OOTS has been plugging away for years and years, but a new book and an art change are enough to make me take notice again.

It's way more versatile too, which I think was Rich's key goal; he can do more interesting things with it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It's possible that Crystal is a Half Golem. They can be sentient and get lots of the traits of Golems.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
How....How does that even work?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Johnny Aztec posted:

A wizard did it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Johnny Aztec posted:

Well unlike the Half everything else this is not a child of a Golem.

Pretty much Golem limbs are made and infused with the golem magic that makes them Golems. Then the Golem limb is attached to the person that will become a half golem. Then they have to make a will save for each limb attached or go evil and crazy.

Here the Text from the Monster Manual II.

quote:

A character who succeeds at all the saves he or she is required to make takes on the attributes of a half-golem as described below—except that the character retains his or her alignment, gains a +4 bonus to Constitution, and does not change type or gain construct traits. As soon as the character fails one of these required saves, he or she becomes a half-golem of neutral evil alignment. The character then has no Constitution score and the character’s type changes to construct, granting him or her construct traits. A neutral evil half-golem retains the memories and knowledge of its former life, but its personality becomes murderous and cruel. It demonstrates the hatred of flesh creatures common to elementals, and it seeks methods appropriate to its class to slaughter as many flesh creatures as possible.

This is what a Flesh Half Golem would get

quote:

Flesh
Natural armor +5
Damage reduction 5/silver
Special Qualities Berserk
Strength +6
Magic immunity As flesh golem
Fortitude +2
Construct traits (upon a failed Will save)
Half-golems have –2 Dex, +4 Con (or no Con upon a failed Will save), –6 Int, +0 Wis, and –6 Cha. Strength varies by type

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Prosthetics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

The answer to all "how does a half-that exist?" is always "polymorph". If it works for a dragon it'll work for a golem.