Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
I'd think Snowden would be quite pleased to be a party to a suit by the US Government for breach of contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spooky Hyena
May 2, 2014

Choosing to benefit from an empire of murder and genocide makes you complicit.
:scotland:
lol, nice meltdown

Fried Chicken posted:

I know it is supposed to be a big bushy mustache but I'm still all :stare: at the drawing of the black guy here

It's a small wiry mustache with pronounced nasolabial folds.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I've never understood the whole "Snowden is targeted by the US government" thing. Yeah, of course he is. He breached a legal contract. He released classified information. Doesn't matter if he didn't give it to another nation or a terrorist organization, he did something with it that he said he wouldn't when he signed a contract to work for a company employed by the United States government.

Edward Snowden posted:

People sometimes say I broke an oath of secrecy—one of the early charges leveled against me. But it’s a fundamental misunderstanding, because there is no oath of secrecy for people who work in the intelligence community. You are asked to sign a civil agreement, called a Standard Form 312, which basically says if you disclose classified information, they can sue you; they can do this, that and the other. And you risk going to jail. But you are also asked to take an oath, and that’s the oath of service. The oath of service is not to secrecy, but to the Constitution—to protect it against all enemies, foreign and domestic. That’s the oath that I kept, that James Clapper and former NSA director Keith Alexander did not.

Does that help?

(the source is from a fantastic interview he did with The Nation.)

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Well that shuts me up.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Well that shuts me up.

He still released classified information. Even if it wasn't a breach of contract it is against the law. And whistleblower protections only apply to people in very specific circumstances, which Snowden doesn't qualify for. The information leaked needed to be (a) about actions that are illegal at the time the actions were being done and (b) you must first try to bring the information to your superior and allow him to try to act on it before releasing it publicly. That's the only time you can be shielded from the consequences of releasing information you are not allowed to release.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Cpt.Americant posted:

He still released classified information. Even if it wasn't a breach of contract it is against the law. And whistleblower protections only apply to people in very specific circumstances, which Snowden doesn't qualify for. The information leaked needed to be (a) about actions that are illegal at the time the actions were being done and (b) you must first try to bring the information to your superior and allow him to try to act on it before releasing it publicly. That's the only time you can be shielded from the consequences of releasing information you are not allowed to release.

God drat that snowden for not live streaming everything as soon as it happened!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Cpt.Americant posted:

Are you aware that there's a difference between legal and moral? The NSA secretly monitoring everyone was legal, but it was immoral and Snowden was right to leak information about it.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

"The killing of 17 victims in 3 despicable terrorist acts this week prompted a unity march of 1.5 million people including 40 world leaders in Paris. Well done.

Maybe it’s just me but did anyone else hear about Nigeria? 2000 civilians including women and children were massacred by terrorists this week.

Can somebody tell me why nobody is marching for those victims? Any world leaders planning a trip to Lagos or Abuja this week? Too busy? Bad flight connections?
Just asking. Imagine the statement we could make.”

Boris Kodjoe

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Cpt.Americant posted:

He still released classified information. Even if it wasn't a breach of contract it is against the law. And whistleblower protections only apply to people in very specific circumstances, which Snowden doesn't qualify for. The information leaked needed to be (a) about actions that are illegal at the time the actions were being done

Various judges have declared the warrantless mass surveillance as being in direct violation of the fourth amendment.

quote:

and (b) you must first try to bring the information to your superior and allow him to try to act on it before releasing it publicly.

He did, and was ignored.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Chamale posted:

Are you aware that there's a difference between legal and moral? The NSA secretly monitoring everyone was legal, but it was immoral and Snowden was right to leak information about it.

You must be European with all your "right to privacy" sorry but we gave that all up for freedoms. Now I am going to eat my Freedom fries. :smuggo:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on David Cameron's deficit speech – Prime minister takes decision not to renew his call for EU migrants to be stopped from coming to the UK if they do not have a job"

Yesterday's Telegraph:

Independent:

Apology for 'Muslim Birmingham' Fox News claim

Express:

Commuter train from Brighton to London Victoria NEVER on time for whole of last year

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Hope everyone is READY for this talking point to get even more traction.

3 (No comment on Stephen Harper skipping the same event, CAM?)

6 I'm kind of mystified that this is even considered a thing worth commenting on.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

ElMaligno posted:

Thank you for the inspiration.

Welp, first time that's happened to me.

Just to make clear, I do think both that cartoon and the original Charlie Hebdo one I was commenting on are good cartoons.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Various judges have declared the warrantless mass surveillance as being in direct violation of the fourth amendment.

He did, and was ignored.

I was going to post just that.

This year is going to be very interesting as one or several of these lawsuits are likely to get to the supreme court.

escape mechanism posted:

More French/Flemish stuff.

Should have said thanks for that in my last post.

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

Not sure what's up with this DBD.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
Is Rall jealous of the fact that his cartoons haven't inspired anyone to try to kill him?

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Is Rall jealous of the fact that his cartoons haven't inspired anyone to try to kill him?

You ask that like it's not incredibly obvious

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

Death Ray posted:

I drew this after reading Arthur Chu's Charlie Hebdo-deflating column on the Daily Beast. I don't disagree with all his points, but his Internet triumpahlism stuck in my eye. And hey, sometimes a guy just has to draw an overweening cartoon.

Professional quizboy not actually very smart at things that don't depend on memorizing facts, film at 11.
I loving wish quizboy became an actual non-Venture Bros term

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Al-Saqr posted:

I like how many of these cartoonist don't even bother to look up and research readily available verbal descriptions of how Muhammad probably looked like, they just cook up their own idea based off of their own outlook towards Arabs in general.

There's a certain expectation on what a cartoon Muhammed has to look like, though. If you stray too far from it people will raise an eyebrown and you probably don't want people to think all that much if you're in the business of editorial cartoons. (Because you're a propagandist.)

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Wow, McCoy did NOT do a good job reconciling the two images he Googled with the part he actually drew. At least he flipped the colors on the Les Miserables logo so the French flag is facing the right way.

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

Chamale posted:

But moral is subjective. There was a former attorney general in Kansas who leaked information about who had gotten late term abortions, because he felt it was morally right to release that information. That didn't save him, and I don't want the law to spare people just because the judge makes a value judgement that someone was "right." That's why having a clear line like legal/illegal is important for giving immunity.

And, as far as 4th amendment arguments go, this isn't as plainly unconstitutional as people seem to think when you actually look at the details. "Expectation of privacy" means something very different to a court of law than to most people who frequent the internet. And security of your "persons, houses, papers, and effects" does not include things that you don't have the only copy of. Phone metadata for example, the phone company has a copy of it and so it is not "yours" constitutionally speaking. The Supreme Court has held that no warrent is needed for cops to look at phone metadata for that reason. It is not your persons, houses, papers, and effects, so you have no right against warrentless searches. Digital data is also often usually kept off site on someone else's servers, so people don't have the ownership of that information like they think they do.

That leaves aside how I think it should be, but just a statement of how things are. "Privacy" is not explicitly in the constitution and it should be, so that poo poo like this doesn't happen. Cause constitutionally, the NSA is on decent ground and that's not right.

Cpt.Americant fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 13, 2015

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

colonel_korn posted:

Hope everyone is READY for this talking point to get even more traction.

3 (No comment on Stephen Harper skipping the same event, CAM?)

Obama really should have just taken a supersonic jetfighter to be there on time rather than sending the designated person who's job it is to go to these things in his place. I mean it's what dubya would have done :911:

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

As a Texan, where can I get my Dallas Cowboy's Christie Cake Hat?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Sir Rolo posted:

Not sure what's up with this DBD.

:allears: Look at Muir thinking that the Crusaders were the good guys. It's adorable.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Cpt.Americant posted:

But moral is subjective. There was a former attorney general in Kansas who leaked information about who had gotten late term abortions, because he felt it was morally right to release that information. That didn't save him, and I don't want the law to spare people just because the judge makes a value judgement that someone was "right." That's why having a clear line like legal/illegal is important for giving immunity.

And, as far as 4th amendment arguments go, this isn't as plainly unconstitutional as people seem to think when you actually look at the details. "Expectation of privacy" means something very different to a court of law than to most people who frequent the internet. And security of your "persons, houses, papers, and effects" does not include things that you don't have the only copy of. Phone metadata for example, the phone company has a copy of it and so it is not "yours" constitutionally speaking. The Supreme Court has held that no warrent is needed for cops to look at phone metadata for that reason. It is not your persons, houses, papers, and effects, so you have no right against warrentless searches. Digital data is also often usually kept off site on someone else's servers, so people don't have the ownership of that information like they think they do.

That leaves aside how I think it should be, but just a statement of how things are. "Privacy" is not explicitly in the constitution and it should be, so that poo poo like this doesn't happen. Cause constitutionally, the NSA is on decent ground and that's not right.

Guys, you should really just read that (or any other) Snowden interview. He does lay out moral arguments as well as legal arguments against mass surveillance in general, but he's also very explicit that he saw frequent and flagrant violations of the law that clearly had nothing to do with national security (analysts spying on ex-girlfriends, people taking naked pictures off random people's phones and passing them around, that sort of thing). He lays out a very strong case that this was a culture where people committed criminal acts with complete impunity and he felt it was his duty to bring these abuses, and the culture that allowed them to take place essentially out in the open into the public view. Now you can argue he's making some of this stuff up (dubious, but I guess it's possible), or you can argue there were "proper channels" he should have gone through (what channels though?), or you can argue that his leaks "exposed" US intelligence in a way that was harmful to national security (this seems to be the government's line, but I'm not sure how you could possibly prove it), but if you say that the information he leaked exposed no clear-cut lawbreaking, all you're telling me is that you have no idea what was in those leaks.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Duckbag posted:

Does that help?

(the source is from a fantastic interview he did with The Nation.)

Consider the fact Snowden has gone on the record as a defender of Putin, who's abuses far exceed that of the U.S. governments I wouldn't put much stock in what he says.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

gently caress you.

e: You know the U.S. economy is (contextually) booming when this is the poo poo these bozos are concerning themselves with.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Satsuki Kiryuin posted:

Consider the fact Snowden has gone on the record as a defender of Putin, who's abuses far exceed that of the U.S. governments I wouldn't put much stock in what he says.

Read the loving interview in the post you just quoted. Jesus Christ.

e: Here's the specific quote:

quote:

The Nation: Well, your video question at that big Putin press conference this year…

Snowden: Yeah, that was terrible! Oh, Jesus, that blew up in my face. I was hoping to catch Putin in a lie—like what happened to Director of National Intelligence James Clapper [in his congressional testimony]. So I asked Putin basically the same questions about Russian mass surveillance. I knew he’s doing the same thing, but he denied it. If a single Russian source would come forward, he would be in hot water. And in the United States, what I did appearing at that Putin press conference was not worth the price.

Duckbox fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 13, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Didn't he get a Russian government job though? That he still has?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Professional quizboy not actually very smart at things that don't depend on memorizing facts, film at 11.
I loving wish quizboy became an actual non-Venture Bros term

Generally Arthur Chu is pretty cool and writes some good articles but that article was pretty bad

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Not trying to be lovely but can you post something good he wrote, because every time I've seen him my eyes couldn't roll back hard enough.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Not trying to be lovely but can you post something good he wrote, because every time I've seen him my eyes couldn't roll back hard enough.

I recall this article being pretty good. I also like this one.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Nenonen posted:

P.S. I'm missing the say of Asay on this whole thing. I googled and it looks like he's retired for good, but am happy to report that Something Awful was hit #5 for his name, and #1 for "chuck asay charlie hebdo". Je suis Chuck!
Asay was in a weird quasi-retired state for a number of years, putting out about four cartoons a week. Then in the summer of 2013 he hung up the pen for good.

It's entirely possible he may make a comment, as I know he did attend an AAEC convention or something similar a year or two ago, but I dunno if he'll do a quick cartoon for it. Asay does take time on his work, so it's possible he might do something since this is the combination of a news event involving his profession and the opportunity to hate on Muslims. I wouldn't hold your breath though.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Another Ramirez that AGCs itself.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
Wow, conservatives really love France all of a sudden don't they.

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Darkman Fanpage posted:

:allears: Look at Muir thinking that the Crusaders were the good guys. It's adorable.

I… am loving confused, and not simply "Muir" confused. Is she calling Zed "something"? This is practically word salad! And why is the font different?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Death Ray posted:

I… am loving confused, and not simply "Muir" confused. Is she calling Zed "something"? This is practically word salad! And why is the font different?

Certain mental illnesses make people prone to word salad and I'd put money on Muir having some sort of mental illness without any goonish exaggregation.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Didn't he get a Russian government job though? That he still has?

Best as I can tell, no. There are a few reports like this one that mention him having an undisclosed IT job of some sort (possibly for residency reasons), but I haven't found anything saying it's for the government. Anyone who knows more is welcome to prove me wrong though.

e: For those of you who think his mere presence within Russia is damning, it's worth remembering that he's only there are all because his passport got revoked before he could catch his intended flight to Latin America.

Duckbox fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jan 13, 2015

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

Apple Pie Hubbub posted:

Another Ramirez that AGCs itself.
"An inveterate liar against truth" :ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
Can someone post the panel(s) from Rall's Year of Loving Dangerously where he's saying "Okay!"?

• Locked thread