Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I finally finished adding all the rivers in North America for AtE. Why are there so many???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Shadeoses posted:

I finally finished adding all the rivers in North America for AtE. Why are there so many???

Hey could you add South America too? I'm especially interested in the Amazon...

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
AtE should definitely have an Amazon invasion.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

BabyFur Denny posted:

All female rulers, can't marry, only take male concubines. Also have very high chance of tall and strong traits.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

BabyFur Denny posted:

I think there's already a Brazilian invasion if you make it to the 2800s.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Demiurge4 posted:

All female rulers, can't marry, only take male concubines. Also have very high chance of tall and strong traits.

Also a random chance for concubines to become wounded, maimed, or die.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Amazons should be able to wax prisoners which should give effects similar to castration but only temporary.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

FreudianSlippers posted:

Amazons should be able to wax prisoners which should give effects similar to castration but only temporary.

They can even use the same icon! :haw:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
If waxing were used in-game as a ritualistic form of torture AtE would instantly become mod of the year, and it's only January. :allears:

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

FreudianSlippers posted:

Screw that, death by snoo Snoo! :getin:

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
Having a fantastic game right now, started out as a joke using the ruler designer to create a lunatic/imbecile ruler with insane levels of martial ability, starting with the king of the picts so he had lots of CB to spring into action with. Married off my son to a nice heiress then proceded to stomp all over pictland, and then suddenly died in battle 6 months into the game.

Son at least was more level headed, slowly expanded using forged claims and then got a notice that he could press a weak claim against the kingdom of Mercia. Somehow I'd randomly married one of my whininig courtiers to a claimant, so a couple of plots and a war later she was my new wife and the queen of Mercia. But her previous children were the rightful heirs, so the eldest daughter was betrothed to my bastard son, and the boys had accidents, which is probably why we never managed to sire any further children before she passed childbearing age.

Oh well I thought, at least my son will probably produce an heir that will unite the kingdoms.

Nope, he produced a daughter (ineligible for succession) and proceeded to cheat on his wife despite her having huge tracts of land. He produced a legitimized bastard son who is now in the line of succession.

Then the heiress to mercia died at a young age leaving my heir's daughter as the candidate.
So I can either try to seduce my grandaughter and produce a male heir, then switch succession law to ultimogeniture, or, plot to kill my grandson so that my grandaughter is heir to my dynasty, except that when I wasn't looking she somehow took a husband who would then inherit the claims, so, fun fun fun.

Oh in the meantime I've united the tribes, adopted feudal law and tried to help Mercia against various minor lords who don't like queens, built and observator, published the heretical notion that the Earth goes around the sun, picked up the Lunatic trait and converted the realm's currency to the Turnip.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I picked this up during the Steam sale and just started playing over the weekend. I've read through Kersch's excellent LP and have skimmed through some tutorials, but I'm still having a lot of trouble figuring things out.

For my first game I chose the Duke of Gwynedd in Wales in 1066. The Duchy of Gwynedd seems to include the counties of Gwynedd and Perfeddwlad (which is run by a vassal). I'm also the Petty King of Powys, which I think is like a Duke? But it only covers the one county currently.

My only real goal for my first game was to unite and hold Wales. I don't know if there's a "King of Wales" title in the game, but I'd probably try for that too if it exists.

Not really sure what to do to start, I married off a couple of daughters -- one to the King of Navarra, and one to a Prince who was heir to some other kingdom in Spain. I figured this might be good for military aid if I needed it later.

I had claims on Shrewsbury and Hereford in England -- I guess they're a de jure part of the duchy of Powys? I have no idea. Anyway, I figured I'd try to take them while most of England's troops were busy fighting with the Normans. It worked! Well, sort of. I sieged the castle, then started on the other holdings. Then William the Conqueror showed up with 11,000 troops. My army got squished almost instantly, and William finished the siege, claiming the county for himself. Welp.

After a few years of not accomplishing much, the game notified me that one of my nephews had a claim on the duchy of Deheubarth in south Wales. I'm not sure how to determine how large an army another ruler can raise, but I had a levy of 2000+ so I decided to press the claim for my nephew. My son-in-law king in Navarra sent a couple thousand troops to help, so we were in good shape. The Deheubarth army was smashed in the field, and all of the holdings in Dyfed were sieged. My war score jumped up to 100%, and I enforced my demands on the defeated ex-Duke.

Now, I could swear that when I declared war, one of the listed victory outcomes was that the nephew in question would become a vassal of mine. However, when the war was over, the two counties of Deheubarth went under my nephew -- and he shows as independent with no liege. That was kind of a bummer -- it took a couple of years and almost two thousand dead soldiers to put that jerk in charge.

I think maybe he wasn't part of my dynasty -- could that be it? Or is it because he became a Duke, and therefore can't be a vassal to another Duke?

So I'm a good seven years in, and I've made no real advances other than gaining a few allies. William has solidified his hold on England, so I can't go east, and I really don't feel like re-fighting for the counties in the south I just took for my good-for-nothing nephew.

This game has so much potential but I'm really stuck on the learning curve. I don't want to start over just yet, unless everyone screams at me that I've completely screwed this up and have no real chance to continue.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Vichan posted:

Screw that, death by snoo Snoo! :getin:

That's available in vanilla.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

WhiteHowler posted:

Or is it because he became a Duke, and therefore can't be a vassal to another Duke?

It's this. At least he will always be your ally, if he is of the same dynasty (ie if he has the red blood drop icon on his portrait). And he will love you for getting him a duchy.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

illectro posted:

So I can either try to seduce my grandaughter and produce a male heir,
Can't do that, I'm afraid. Direct descendents and ancestors are not valid targets for seduction. At least within two generations - it doesn't check past there.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

WhiteHowler posted:

- Wales stuff -

To address a few points:

Yes, a Petty King is just what the game calls independent dukes of a few certain cultures. Yes, there's a Kingdom of Wales (and if you want to get really ambitious once you get a better handle on things, you can make the Empire of Brittania/Prydain afterwards). If you want to determine how large an army someone can raise, look at their character sheet; to steal an image from someone earlier in the thread, the icon with the little helmet here that reads 85.79K is how many troops this character can raise (just be careful, because this doesn't count mercenaries, retinues, or holy orders!). And, as someone else noted, you can never have a vassal of equal rank to you. As a duke/petty king, giving away a duchy will make them independent, same as a king giving away a kingdom, an emperor giving away an empire, etc.

And finally, starting over is always an option if you'd like to try again armed with some new knowledge or try a game in a different part of the world or something, but keep in mind that there's about 400 years left in the game, so stumbling in the first seven is not insurmountable by any means. Part of playing a game like this is that bad setbacks will happen, you will lose some, but at the same time, you always have the tools to claw your way back up.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
This game, more than any other Paradox game, is forgiving of (and maybe even enriched by) everything falling apart, as long as your dynasty is still alive and you have a scrap of land to your name. If you're the emperor of poo poo mountain, all your vassals revolt, and you get busted down to count of nowheresville-- well, people start the game as counts or whatever, so you're no worse off than them. And you have claims on everything you lost. :getin:

A given CK2 run is probably a lot more fun when things like that happen, I think. It breaks you out of the usual strategy game dilemma or either getting stronger until you reach that critical mass where the game becomes boring, or restraining yourself and risking falling behind the Jonses.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Catholicism is pretty strong. The Byzantines are catholic and don't seem to have any trouble with the Muslim blob, the Magyar became Russian catholics and formed the Empire of Carpathia which stretches from Bulgaria(the only Orthodox country in the world and a haven of heresy) to the Baltic. The Umayyids have somehow converted as well and still control most of Iberia and have beaten back several holy wars. The Pope has just called a crusade and although the Abbasids have been pretty stable since the beginning and have about 40K troops they'll be facing three empires that all have about 20-30k troops as well as a shitload af Karling kingdoms.

Being a really powerful emperor is a bit boring so I'm thinking of trying to get the kingdom of Jerusalem in the crusade and then expand outwards but give most of the land to the pope except for a narrow path of counties that I'll use as a path to different countries. Basically become the Popes attack dog and not stop until I reach India so the entire Middle East will be under direct Papal control.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Started with the Charlemagne date as Duke of Svithjod and did the usual 'run around subjugating counties' stuff.
I started saving up to create the Kingdom of Svithjod title, but then the King of Saxony, who had held Denmark and Saxony, died, leaving Denmark to his 2 year old son. Who had 250 troops.
I marched in and Subjugated him, grabbing the Kingdom title and his land and then vassalised a few Counts in Norway, to make sure I got the Holy Sites.

Then it was time to march around Finland, Conquesting for Moral Authority. I finally seiged down the last Suomi province I needed to hit 50% moral authority and went to the Religion tab to see it sitting at 40%.
Literally 3 days before my war had ended, that spineless shitsack Saxony had caved to Charlemagne, losing the Holy Site in Paderborn for the Germanic faith.

:ughh:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

kingturnip posted:

Started with the Charlemagne date as Duke of Svithjod and did the usual 'run around subjugating counties' stuff.
I started saving up to create the Kingdom of Svithjod title, but then the King of Saxony, who had held Denmark and Saxony, died, leaving Denmark to his 2 year old son. Who had 250 troops.
I marched in and Subjugated him, grabbing the Kingdom title and his land and then vassalised a few Counts in Norway, to make sure I got the Holy Sites.

Then it was time to march around Finland, Conquesting for Moral Authority. I finally seiged down the last Suomi province I needed to hit 50% moral authority and went to the Religion tab to see it sitting at 40%.
Literally 3 days before my war had ended, that spineless shitsack Saxony had caved to Charlemagne, losing the Holy Site in Paderborn for the Germanic faith.

Go burn churches in Ireland.

Evil Queen Bee
Sep 7, 2011

kingturnip posted:

Is it still early in the game? The Widukind event most likely will get it back under Germanic control.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

marktheando posted:

It's this. At least he will always be your ally, if he is of the same dynasty (ie if he has the red blood drop icon on his portrait). And he will love you for getting him a duchy.
Makes sense.

So what IS the best way to take over a neighboring Duchy if your highest title is Duke and you have no direct claim on it?

I know you can have the Chancellor fabricate a claim, but I've had no luck with this so far. Marriage seems like a long game, and it's tricky (at least for me) to figure out the conditions to give one of my descendants a claim. And Holy War only works in specific situations.

I just want to unite all those poor Welsh people and all their extra vowels!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

WhiteHowler posted:

Makes sense.

So what IS the best way to take over a neighboring Duchy if your highest title is Duke and you have no direct claim on it?

I know you can have the Chancellor fabricate a claim, but I've had no luck with this so far. Marriage seems like a long game, and it's tricky (at least for me) to figure out the conditions to give one of my descendants a claim. And Holy War only works in specific situations.

I just want to unite all those poor Welsh people and all their extra vowels!

Marriage/inheritance shenanigans and fabricated claims are your only options. You can hope to fabricate a ducal claim, but more likely you'll just have to take it a county at a time. And before you declare war on someone you think you can beat, make sure to check what alliances he has--it'll suck for you if you're starting to besiege his poo poo and suddenly the king of France tromps in with 15,000 of his closest friends.

Once you control more than half of the counties in a duchy (2/3, 3/4, 3/5, 4/6) you can usurp the title if you have enough cash (it isn't cheap, but it's doable). You'll gain the ducal title and de jure claims on whatever counties within that de jure duchy you don't yet control.

Be aware also (you probably already are, but just to be safe!) that if you get a claim on a county that's a vassal of (for instance) England, you won't merely have to beat the count or even the duke in a war to take it--you'll have to beat the king of England. Which you likely won't be able to dream of. But if something you have a claim on goes into a revolt then you can try to sneak in and take it from just that count/duke--be aware, though, that the king's army will still regard your army as hostile and try to kill it.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jan 13, 2015

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

FreudianSlippers posted:

Catholicism is pretty strong.
It's the holy orders. I really think they need some toning down, because 10,000 man stacks of heavy infantry and cavalry can wreck anyone less than empire-sized, or at least double-kingdom, and catholics have like five or six of the things available.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Strudel Man posted:

It's the holy orders. I really think they need some toning down, because 10,000 man stacks of heavy infantry and cavalry can wreck anyone less than empire-sized, or at least double-kingdom, and catholics have like five or six of the things available.

On a related note, something definitely seems a bit off when the Knights of Calatrava can almost singlehandedly boot the Umayyads from Andalusia during a crusade. They eventually got some help from other European powers, but most of the crusade was the Knights' doomstack trouncing the Muslim armies as they tried to group up. I'm mostly mad because they won practically the entire Iberian peninsula right before I could snag some territory there and holy war the heck out of the place.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Strudel Man posted:

Yet somehow the crusade I mentioned failed spectacularly. It didn't help that most of the largest Catholics realms were busy with civil war and didn't join. The now Catholic Umayyids are tearing up North-Africa with holy war after holy war so at least things aren't all bad.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 13, 2015

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yet somehow the crusade I mentioned failed spectacularly. It didn't help that most of the largest Catholics realms were busy with civil war and didn't join. The now Catholic Umayyids are tearing up North-Africa with holy war after holy war so at least things aren't all bad.
Probably boats. Boats are hard for the AI.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

WhiteHowler posted:

Makes sense.

I just started recently as well, so take this with a grain of salt.

If you have the duchy of Gwynedd and the duchy of Powys the best way for you to go would be to try to absorb the independent county of Glamorgan to your south. Find somebody who has a claim on the county and is in your dynasty or somebody you can make a vassal, then go to war. If you press a vassal's claim on a county, it will become yours.

In the meantime, set your chancellor to fabricate a claim on one of the counties in Deheubarth. This could take a while. You can increase the chance by getting a chancellor. Maybe go to the find character section and see if there's anybody out there with a high diplo stat that would accept an invitation to your court. This can be a little tricky, generall only title claimants accept will accept an invitation. If you're lucky and you can find somebody with a high diplo stat and a claim on a nearby county/duchy, that could help you set up future expansion.

Once you get the claim on one of Deheubarth's counties, press that. You'll have the majority of Deheubarth at that point and can take the title from whoever currently has it. I'm not sure exactly what happens to the person you took it from, but if they're still in charge of the other Deheubarth county you'll have to wait 10 years before pressing your new de jure ducal claim.

If you've done all this you should have 6 welsh counties (Powys, Gwynedd, Perfeddwlad, Dyfed, Gwent and Glamorgan) and you'll be able to form the kingdom of wales. Then invade ireland I guess.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Just make sure you have the requisite cash (150 for a county/300 for a duchy, I believe) to fabricate a claim before you set your Chancellor to do that. You can go into the red a little bit but it's a Bad Idea unless you have a specific plan for getting out of it very soon.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Eric the Mauve posted:

Just make sure you have the requisite cash (150 for a county/300 for a duchy, I believe) to fabricate a claim before you set your Chancellor to do that. You can go into the red a little bit but it's a Bad Idea unless you have a specific plan for getting out of it very soon.

I think it's proportional to how much your income is, but that might not be the case with feudal rulers. I know in my republic game, it's not even 1100, and fabricating a county claim costs well over 2 g's.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
In my latest AtE game, I had one province bouncing back and forth between High Church and Rust Cultist (And, later, Commercialism) practically every month. And it looks like it will continue for at least two years, because the count is in regency and I can't demand the regent convert.

On a related note, it would be cool for Consumerists to have the opportunity to spend absolutely absurd amounts of dosh on events. Because once I converted, I seem to have lost all my nifty decisions. Can't even throw a summer fair and have three different monkey trainers attacked by monkeys (An actual thing that happened when I threw a fair).

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Has Paradox said anything about when a fix for the levy bug is coming out? Assuming no, but I don't read their forums.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Volkerball posted:

I think it's proportional to how much your income is, but that might not be the case with feudal rulers. I know in my republic game, it's not even 1100, and fabricating a county claim costs well over 2 g's.

It is, try fabricating claims as a tribal and it's a pittance.

DeadLetterOfficer
Mar 30, 2011

I said, I've got a big stick.

Bold Robot posted:

Has Paradox said anything about when a fix for the levy bug is coming out? Assuming no, but I don't read their forums.

Paradox Forum Moderator posted:

There is no ETA, just that it will be released soon.

Thread closed

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Bold Robot posted:

Is this the bug causing my neighbors to keep a standing, massively depleted army in the field for years on end doing absolutely nothing?

Because if it's not a bug, the military AI seems kind of wonky.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Volkerball posted:

It's either 1 year or 2 years of income, depending upon if you got a claim on a county or a duchy.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
The game's still broken, right?

e: whoops, should have read that post a few posts above mine.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

WhiteHowler posted:

Is this the bug causing my neighbors to keep a standing, massively depleted army in the field for years on end doing absolutely nothing?

Because if it's not a bug, the military AI seems kind of wonky.

It is precisely that bug, yes.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Bold Robot posted:

A patch should come this week unless anything major pops up. So in essence hopefully soon but no promises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Patch Notes:
*Fixed bug where AI couldn't disband levies, making them unable to declare war

Bug Notes:
*AI can't end wars now

• Locked thread