Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

thelightguy posted:

Hahaha, bullshit. I never worked a day as an unpaid intern and I'm doing just fine in entertainment. (Of course there's a drat good reason we have the strongest unions in the US.)

Where do you work? Are you in post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Chickenwalker posted:

Where do you work? Are you in post?

Nope, live production for a national corporation. Recently someone higher up at our branch wanted to get interns and the response from HR was "if you want them, hire them as staff." I have no doubt though that it's IATSE keeping them in check.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Speaking of Macs, I got 34 laptops in today! Time to spend the next week imaging them.

On a related note, my internship was in Post and I work very closely with the Post department in my position. TV is forever ruined for me.

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 13, 2015

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

pr0digal posted:

Speaking of Macs, I got 34 laptops in today! Time to spend the next week imaging them.

Get ye to DeployStudio.com and image 34 machines in a couple of hours. Setting up NetBoot and DeployStudio is one of the very first things I did at my current job, and it has saved me an immeasurable amount of imaging/deployment time. Well, that and Casper.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

At work I was faced with building 30 macbooks by hand. Sequestered in my office I learned and set up deloystudio in a couple of days and saved myself weeks of work. Sadly they didn't give me a server to play with so it's set up as a bootable OS+images on a usb key. It was more complicated than Acronis which I'm used to, but not awful, and very powerful for a free piece of software.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Sonic Dude posted:

Get ye to DeployStudio.com and image 34 machines in a couple of hours. Setting up NetBoot and DeployStudio is one of the very first things I did at my current job, and it has saved me an immeasurable amount of imaging/deployment time. Well, that and Casper.

I almost got a NetBoot deployment set up but found you had to be on the same subnet. Maybe I'll try again with convincing the network engineer to light a port in my room with the server subnet.

Thanks for the Deploy Studio tip. If I can find some time to play around with it hopefully it can replace my current system of using two image drives and Migration Assistant.

Also I would kill to have Casper

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jan 13, 2015

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
So a while back a call came in that I was let go from my previous job. You all know that story, and you were all more than supportive about it. Today I had an interview with a firm in Philadelphia for a help desk position, lasted about two hours and felt really good about it. Afterwards I met with my former supervisor to get my A+ card which I left at work.

Turns out he put in his notice that day and was bailing out as well, leaving the company with 0 IT Presence in Philadelphia. On top of that he informed me that they're looking at gutting the team out in the main office as well, and that it's not looking good for anyone there. Looks like I did wind up dodging a bullet.

About 3 hours after Lunch, a call came in.

A job offer from the position I interviewed for. I start Thursday, am moved to a salaried position, and will be working with the rest of the team, as they're based out of the Philadelphia office.

I'm so pumped to get started.

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

Awesome news man. Congrats :)

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
For what it's worth, NetBoot works across subnets with some relatively minor adjustments. It's just the BDSP part that doesn't leave the broadcast domain. You can either use something like ARD to send a specific bless command to point a client machine at the correct IP (good for one-offs), or set an ip-helper on your L3 switch/router/whatever you're using to pass traffic between subnets or VLANs. It's the same setting you'd use for a DHCP server, because it works very similarly.

Even if you don't have Casper, look at their documentation on Jamfnation. I'm almost positive there's an article with the command to NetBoot to a specific set at a given IP.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sonic Dude posted:

Even if you don't have Casper, look at their documentation on Jamfnation. I'm almost positive there's an article with the command to NetBoot to a specific set at a given IP.

FYI, Casper is dead slow on a thumb drive, even a 5400 on a USB-SATA adapter will be faster if you're locally booting it.

seadweller
Mar 30, 2010

seadweller posted:

Seconded - had an issue with Office 2013 2 users report the full client of outlook freezing after start up - generally they can click onto about 4/5 emails before it happens. This behaviour is consistent across an imaged workstation and various laptops, so it has to be an office issue as its the only constant. Does not happen in web version of office 365. PC reimaged, laptops cleaned, profiles rebuilt eventually it gets escalated up to Microsoft who are remoting onto the PC to try and diagnose.

Cause - User has a shared calendar for sporting fixtures

Coredump posted:

Wait, so what's the solution? We're having issues with shared calendars causing Outlook 2013 to lock at the place I work at too.

Its just about as fantastic as you would expect. Remove each calendar in turn until you find the one causing it, then just don't use that one. We were lucky its an external one that is not that important and that there was only one extra calendar on the outlook profile. From what our mail team guy said Microsoft are still looking into it with a view to a proper fix. I would hope so!

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

mllaneza posted:

FYI, Casper is dead slow on a thumb drive, even a 5400 on a USB-SATA adapter will be faster if you're locally booting it.

The rule of thumb there is "never use Casper Imaging." Just throw a QuickAdd into a DeployStudio workflow.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Sonic Dude posted:

For what it's worth, NetBoot works across subnets with some relatively minor adjustments. It's just the BDSP part that doesn't leave the broadcast domain. You can either use something like ARD to send a specific bless command to point a client machine at the correct IP (good for one-offs), or set an ip-helper on your L3 switch/router/whatever you're using to pass traffic between subnets or VLANs. It's the same setting you'd use for a DHCP server, because it works very similarly.

In my office, we have a main Deploy Studio server sitting there, and an old mac mini server we just put on whatever subnet we want to image. the mac mini serves the DHCP reservations and a NBI pointing deploy studio back to the main subnet. One of these days I'll convince my network guy to take the 5 minutes necessary to eliminate that from the equation.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Just a heads up, I think 365 might be making GBS threads the bed right now. Multiple clients have called in saying that their outlook is asking for an exchange password, and entering in known passwords isn't working.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Nerdrock posted:

In my office, we have a main Deploy Studio server sitting there, and an old mac mini server we just put on whatever subnet we want to image. the mac mini serves the DHCP reservations and a NBI pointing deploy studio back to the main subnet. One of these days I'll convince my network guy to take the 5 minutes necessary to eliminate that from the equation.

I'll probably just end up doing something similar with an old mac mini as my network guy will probably not go for lighting a port on the server VLAN.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

jadeddrifter posted:

Interesting. PST's are kind a way of life. Users only get maybe 1gb of storage on the server each for e-mail. So PST's are kind of a must. I know in older versions of outlook they use to become unstable at 2gb this must have been fixed in newer versions.
I hate PST files too mainly because I hate trying to recover them when they get corrupted.
We have a policy in place that completely disables PST file use in Outlook. It's the best thing ever.

Instead we're using the online archiving feature in Exchange. Basically every user has two mailboxes, a primary and an archive. Any object 6 months or older gets automatically moved to the archive, which on the server side is located on a cheap but huge SATA array, while the main mailboxes are on fast FC arrays. I believe Exchange does some compression of the archive datastore too.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Collateral Damage posted:

We have a policy in place that completely disables PST file use in Outlook. It's the best thing ever.

Instead we're using the online archiving feature in Exchange. Basically every user has two mailboxes, a primary and an archive. Any object 6 months or older gets automatically moved to the archive, which on the server side is located on a cheap but huge SATA array, while the main mailboxes are on fast FC arrays. I believe Exchange does some compression of the archive datastore too.

That's the best way to do it, honestly.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
A phone call came in:

"Well, I'm trying to network some files for some tax software, and I called the software company and they told me to share the entire C: drive..."

:bang:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Xenoletum posted:

So a while back a call came in that I was let go from my previous job. You all know that story, and you were all more than supportive about it. Today I had an interview with a firm in Philadelphia for a help desk position, lasted about two hours and felt really good about it. Afterwards I met with my former supervisor to get my A+ card which I left at work.

Turns out he put in his notice that day and was bailing out as well, leaving the company with 0 IT Presence in Philadelphia. On top of that he informed me that they're looking at gutting the team out in the main office as well, and that it's not looking good for anyone there. Looks like I did wind up dodging a bullet.

About 3 hours after Lunch, a call came in.

A job offer from the position I interviewed for. I start Thursday, am moved to a salaried position, and will be working with the rest of the team, as they're based out of the Philadelphia office.

I'm so pumped to get started.

Congrats!

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Collateral Damage posted:

We disabled PST files and automatically delete anything older than a year. If they need it, they can save it locally, otherwise it's not important.

To be fair, I really enjoy this system. Considering most of the volume you get regarding Outlook pertains to PST files, all we have to worry about is EVERYTHING GODDAMN ELSE

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I'm impressed that any place can get a policy through to get rid of PSTs. All us IT people at my place want the PSTs gone, but the higher-ups who would have to actually set that policy are usually the worst offenders with the 20GBs of mail.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.

Tata is not literally the worst company I have ever worked for.

They pay OK depending on the position, and they have a weird Health Savings Account in their list of benefits that, if you are into such things, you can really milk in some arcane ways. Also, it doesn't end with the job, so while it's not an ideal health insurance solution you can then use it together with whatever you can get at your job after that.

However, to deal with their benefits, you will need to contact them. If you take the time to imagine a worst-case scenario for what you think it might be like to call or e-mail to an Indian call center when dealing with benefits issues, you will probably still need to ratchet that up about 200% for working internally "with" them. I got bored after a month and started CCing peoples' direct reports, moving up the chain every week. I got to the VP of HR in the US before things started moving in the right direction. Yes the CCing bosses thing is a dick move, but it was necessary in this case, as I have a family and I didn't want to go for a third month without the health insurance coverage I had been paying for. We also had to file a complaint with some government board and then started CCing them in as well, but I saw indications that the VP had had more efficacy than the threat of the US gov.

Strangely for such a large corp, Tata seems to have a real bad case of low self-esteem. When I began working for them, I was scheduled for not less than three separate meetings with the same slide-show, all seemingly intended to wow us with what a big corporation Tata is. Did you know they own Jaguar and Land Rover and one or two other companies? Well, now you do. Did you know that they have some large corporate headquarters in some random places? Well here are some more pictures, this time taken at night!

They have an internal site that is the poster-child for hilariously bad employer websites. Various components of that site work with different versions of different browsers, so I actually needed all three to use different parts. Hey, I found someone who still uses Lotus Notes! Their managers are nice enough, but there seems to be a culture-barrier that is more daunting than the language divide ever was. I found not long after my start with them that any directions passed through their management from the client needed to be taken with a heavy helping of salt, and in almost every case the best path was to ask the client themselves what had been intended, then let my manager know how to re-write the request to actually be in line with what the clients wanted. I spent more than one meeting being reprimanded for reports the clients had filed, where I got to explain that they were actually using sarcasm and that they intended to tell Tata not to require us to observe certain steps in our process any more, not me to be more mindless in my process-following.

I have a pretty thick skin for working with "differently optimized" corporations and so I found the amusement while not letting it get to me too badly, but even then I made an effort to :yotj: quickly.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

JosephSkunk posted:

They pay OK depending on the position, and they have a weird Health Savings Account in their list of benefits that, if you are into such things, you can really milk in some arcane ways. Also, it doesn't end with the job, so while it's not an ideal health insurance solution you can then use it together with whatever you can get at your job after that.

Weird as in weird for an HSA, or weird because it has an HSA? If you are young and do not have one, you're probably gonna be dying in the street when you're old because those high premium low deductible plans are going the way of the pension. Save up for the first 20-30 healthyish years of your life and you can ride through the last few where you are a hurricane of medical bills since you can meet your deductible using your lovely tax free money.

When I first started working here, they apparently didn't image my laptop and just set me up with another local user account. I only learned this 6 months later when a mass email went out to everyone with PST files on their computer asking for their deletion. My predecessor had a few of them saved in his files which of course I can't see. I got to spend a couple hours with a confused and mad helpdesk lady who just kept telling me it should have been imaged before I got it as if I have any say over that at all. They ended up not doing anything about it, too :shrug:

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

JosephSkunk posted:

Tata is not literally the worst company I have ever worked for.

However, to deal with their benefits, you will need to contact them. If you take the time to imagine a worst-case scenario for what you think it might be like to call or e-mail to an Indian call center when dealing with benefits issues, you will probably still need to ratchet that up about 200% for working internally "with" them. I got bored after a month and started CCing peoples' direct reports, moving up the chain every week. I got to the VP of HR in the US before things started moving in the right direction. Yes the CCing bosses thing is a dick move, but it was necessary in this case, as I have a family and I didn't want to go for a third month without the health insurance coverage I had been paying for. We also had to file a complaint with some government board and then started CCing them in as well, but I saw indications that the VP had had more efficacy than the threat of the US gov.

Strangely for such a large corp, Tata seems to have a real bad case of low self-esteem. When I began working for them, I was scheduled for not less than three separate meetings with the same slide-show, all seemingly intended to wow us with what a big corporation Tata is. Did you know they own Jaguar and Land Rover and one or two other companies? Well, now you do. Did you know that they have some large corporate headquarters in some random places? Well here are some more pictures, this time taken at night!

They have an internal site that is the poster-child for hilariously bad employer websites. Various components of that site work with different versions of different browsers, so I actually needed all three to use different parts. Hey, I found someone who still uses Lotus Notes! Their managers are nice enough, but there seems to be a culture-barrier that is more daunting than the language divide ever was. I found not long after my start with them that any directions passed through their management from the client needed to be taken with a heavy helping of salt, and in almost every case the best path was to ask the client themselves what had been intended, then let my manager know how to re-write the request to actually be in line with what the clients wanted. I spent more than one meeting being reprimanded for reports the clients had filed, where I got to explain that they were actually using sarcasm and that they intended to tell Tata not to require us to observe certain steps in our process any more, not me to be more mindless in my process-following.

I have a pretty thick skin for working with "differently optimized" corporations and so I found the amusement while not letting it get to me too badly, but even then I made an effort to :yotj: quickly.

I used to process H-1Bs for them and a lot of the guys they loan out to US companies have hilarious names.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Chickenwalker posted:

I used to process H-1Bs for them and a lot of the guys they loan out to US companies have hilarious names.

Gaggandeep and Rammendeep are always good ones.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Eldercain posted:

Weird as in weird for an HSA, or weird because it has an HSA? If you are young and do not have one, you're probably gonna be dying in the street when you're old because those high premium low deductible plans are going the way of the pension. Save up for the first 20-30 healthyish years of your life and you can ride through the last few where you are a hurricane of medical bills since you can meet your deductible using your lovely tax free money.

When I first started working here, they apparently didn't image my laptop and just set me up with another local user account. I only learned this 6 months later when a mass email went out to everyone with PST files on their computer asking for their deletion. My predecessor had a few of them saved in his files which of course I can't see. I got to spend a couple hours with a confused and mad helpdesk lady who just kept telling me it should have been imaged before I got it as if I have any say over that at all. They ended up not doing anything about it, too :shrug:

I should probably look into this while I'm young. My employer does an FSA, which has been a godsend for me since my wife came down with gastroparesis. Plus it reduces taxable income, yay.

Does any old bank do an HSA or should I be talking to a specialist? Or is it employer-offered only?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

MJP posted:

I should probably look into this while I'm young. My employer does an FSA, which has been a godsend for me since my wife came down with gastroparesis. Plus it reduces taxable income, yay.

Does any old bank do an HSA or should I be talking to a specialist? Or is it employer-offered only?

Usually employer offered. I was dumping all the money I'd normally dump into a primo insurance plan into my HSA. It was great.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Maboob as a given name is a personal favorite of mine.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

Names at my company:
Wangs:
Ace
Alien
Bread
Candy
Dong
Canny
John Wang, pilgrim
Magic
Merlin
Randy
Special
Sukie
Saffron Poon
Dick Peng (brother of Dick Trauma, I bet)
Peter Pan
Peter X Pan
Human Ng
Lucky Fan
Ho's:
Fanny
Winter
Echo

I really feel sorry for how badly things translate because I imagine all of these are probably perfectly normal names in their own languages.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 13, 2015

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

MJP posted:

I'm not sure about the HSA itself, but most places that offer the high-deductible plans will set it up for you if only so they don't also have to pay for an expensive plan to offer. AFAIK any bank will actually handle your HSA, but I am not an expert about that and your HR folks should know, but the account follows you around. I had mine from my old job pretty effortlessly set up at the one I have now, and I don't even think I did anything, I think they found it.

My employer also contributes to it (albeit less than to the 401(k)), which is swell. I've used maybe 300 dollars of it in bills (mostly dental stuff), and I already have enough to cover a year and a half of full deductible services. That's enough time for disability to kick in in the case of something super terrible, and the actual cost to me is somewhere in the neighborhood of $4 per 2 weeks in premium so might as well save the money you'd spend on PPO/HMO anyways.

Or, yknow, move to a country with a real health care system :can:

I mostly chimed in because I'm currently watching my parents struggle to put money into their retirement savings now despite both working well-paying jobs and meeting the (increased for oldness) cuttoffs for their 401(k)s and IRA.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.

Xenoletum posted:

I start Thursday

loving excellent, congratulations! Here's hoping they treat you right

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Spent most of the day configuring Deploy Studio to run off a USB3 drive until I get a NetBoot server up and running. It's the best thing and I'm sure will be even better when I get it paired with NetBoot. I don't mind having to do a little bit of prep work if it means saving a bunch of time later down the road.

Thanks to those who suggested it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Here's a freebie from the Casper people for NetBoot https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/viewProduct.html?id=180&view=info

If you have Mac servers already for DeployStudio then just buy Server.app and be done with it.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

pr0digal posted:

Spent most of the day configuring Deploy Studio to run off a USB3 drive until I get a NetBoot server up and running. It's the best thing and I'm sure will be even better when I get it paired with NetBoot. I don't mind having to do a little bit of prep work if it means saving a bunch of time later down the road.

Thanks to those who suggested it.

next step is to get Munki up and running and use it to poo poo down some software post install :)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A whole slew of candidates came in, after we finally convinced HR to spend more than $0 to get our heldesk posting out into the world. Going through resumes and wowsers are some people terrible at writing them. One I just read was four pages long, composed entirely of non-IT related positions (like pharmacy tech and a nursing internship), each with at least 8-10 bullet points. Then I get down to the very last entry, the 'Skills' section. This is the entire section, verbatim:

quote:

Skills:

Expert in Microsoft word, Excels, Power Point etc…

:lol:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Sirotan posted:

A whole slew of candidates came in, after we finally convinced HR to spend more than $0 to get our heldesk posting out into the world. Going through resumes and wowsers are some people terrible at writing them. One I just read was four pages long, composed entirely of non-IT related positions (like pharmacy tech and a nursing internship), each with at least 8-10 bullet points. Then I get down to the very last entry, the 'Skills' section. This is the entire section, verbatim:

:lol:

I've seen some...interesting resumes come across my desk during my search for a new assistant. I haven't convinced HR to spend more than $0 dollars.

Many many administrative assistants and the occasional nursing student applied. A couple of general contractor types too.

Does nobody read job postings?

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 14, 2015

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

pr0digal posted:

I've seen some...interesting resumes come across my desk during my search for a new assistant.

Many many administrative assistants and the occasional nursing student applied. A couple of general contractor types too.

Does nobody read job postings?

We've had two people apply this week that have 0 IT experience but multiple jobs at bakeries through the years.

:iiam:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Ugh, nobody respects Bake IT.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

incoherent posted:

That's because it's not Bake IT, it's Baked IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

incoherent posted:

I hear it's on the rise

• Locked thread