Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

An Angry Bug posted:

DD-WRT on a $30 LinkSys is being suggested in a meeting to "perform like a $1000 router." Not technical myself, but this is setting off alarm bells. Confirm?

Confirmed alarm bells. On a $30 router, it'll give you functionality like a $1000 router as long as you don't have more than a handful of people on it at a time. It's great for your house, but changing the firmware doesn't magically let a random crap-rear end router handle more connections than it would otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

An Angry Bug posted:

DD-WRT on a $30 LinkSys is being suggested in a meeting to "perform like a $1000 router." Not technical myself, but this is setting off alarm bells. Confirm?

Buy cheap buy twice.

But hey at least it's only 30 bucks that you'll be pissing away.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

seadweller posted:

Seconded - had an issue with Office 2013 2 users report the full client of outlook freezing after start up - generally they can click onto about 4/5 emails before it happens. This behaviour is consistent across an imaged workstation and various laptops, so it has to be an office issue as its the only constant. Does not happen in web version of office 365. PC reimaged, laptops cleaned, profiles rebuilt eventually it gets escalated up to Microsoft who are remoting onto the PC to try and diagnose.

Cause - User has a shared calendar for sporting fixtures

:ughh:

Wait, so what's the solution? We're having issues with shared calendars causing Outlook 2013 to lock at the place I work at too.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

mllaneza posted:

How much RAM does it have ? Max it out and get an SSD in there ASAP.

I think like 4 gb.

But still, I shouldn't need to put an SSD in it to reclaim basic functionality. Like hell I'm going to crack open a Mac anyway. The screws are designed to get stripped or strip the tool you're using .

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
A voicemail came in...

Me: "Oh crap, it's the VP of sales who always calls me before he calls the helpdesk. I better not pick up."
Me (later): "Double crap, he left a voice mail..."
VP voice mail: "Hey MJP, it's VP. I just wanted to thank you for trying to get me set up at %clientsite% last week - I know their firewall blocked us from all normal means of getting into Citrix and you were really trying to help me, so I know how frustrating it can be dealing with %clientsite%. %CEO% had issues too and we got through just fine using his tablet and phone as a hotspot so we got it done, but anyway, thanks for all you did to try and help."

I don't get to :3: often but man, that was really nice of him.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

MJP posted:

A voicemail came in...

Me: "Oh crap, it's the VP of sales who always calls me before he calls the helpdesk. I better not pick up."
Me (later): "Double crap, he left a voice mail..."
VP voice mail: "Hey MJP, it's VP. I just wanted to thank you for trying to get me set up at %clientsite% last week - I know their firewall blocked us from all normal means of getting into Citrix and you were really trying to help me, so I know how frustrating it can be dealing with %clientsite%. %CEO% had issues too and we got through just fine using his tablet and phone as a hotspot so we got it done, but anyway, thanks for all you did to try and help."

I don't get to :3: often but man, that was really nice of him.

Call him back and let him know that you really appreciate that he took the time to call. Reinforce good behavior when you can.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Currently dying on the inside as I wait for a machine we did not sell the client to finish upgrading from 8 to 8.1 to 8.1 pro.

Holy poo poo. 5 hours since I started with the factory restore. 1 hour to copy profile data, 127 windows updates. 3.2 GB 8.1 download and install. STILL haven't gotten it up to pro yet. Client should be thanking their lucky stars they ain't on a billable contract.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Quick reminder here that Linksys now means "Belkin", not "Cisco" which makes that $30 router even more of an avoid-avoid-avoid thing.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Billy the Mountain posted:

Currently have a lawyer client with a 79 GB pst. Wonders why it takes some time to load outlook.

Speaking of which, gently caress office 2013 in the rear end. Hard. The number of unsolvable unfixable errors this piece of poo poo throws is incredible. Dozens of error numbers that mean nothing and all point to the same Microsoft fixit article that supposedly removes office properly but never resolves the problem.

Only solution we have found is to nuke the machine and reinstall everything from the OS on up.

gently caress Microsoft so hard.

Has microsoft fixed the stability problem with PST files being over 2gb?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

skooma512 posted:

I think like 4 gb.

But still, I shouldn't need to put an SSD in it to reclaim basic functionality. Like hell I'm going to crack open a Mac anyway. The screws are designed to get stripped or strip the tool you're using .

Either it's an older Mac with Phillips screws, or its a newer one with 5-star screws. If you stripped them, you were probably using a Phillips screwdriver on a non-Phillips screw.

They all open up just fine. Putting them back together you do the same thing you'd do for any multiple-screw arrangement: don't tighten one screw at a time. What you do is thread a screw in each corner by a turn or two, then do the same for the other six. Then tighten them all down to where you just hit resistance, starting with the corners again. Then you tighten them all in turn. That works on literally anything with multiple screws that needs to fit exactly, not just Macs and not just computers. I learned this technique working on my old Mustang back in the 80s.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Trastion posted:

Call him back and let him know that you really appreciate that he took the time to call. Reinforce good behavior when you can.

Well, this risks that he might continue calling me directly before the helpdesk in the future, but I just did, and took the opportunity to let him know we've got a hotspot for us to take to this client.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

jadeddrifter posted:

I dont know if they have specifically addresses this but we have multiple clients with dozens of PST files in the 5 to 10 GB range that dont seem to have problems. Its when the Archive or the OST gets above 20 GB that we see lots of Outlook slowdowns and start getting complaints about "lovely slow computers" and how we " dont know what we are doing" since we cant fix it if the client outright refuses to archive or delete old mails.
We have been on a crusade the last 2 years to remove any links to PST files on Network shares since they so massively gently caress up backup and offsite storage sizes, and move them to local none backed up storage. We had one client who was $1600 a month on overages on offsite storage until we removed the 15 PST files they were connected to on the personal shares. Each time that PST is opened, it acts as a new multi GB file to be backed up, even if nothing is added to it, just simply being opened in outlook changed its properties enough to trigger getting included in the backups.

10 people with 5 GB psts being added to the Backup set every time they opened outlook, sometimes multiple times a day while we are running backups at 6.9.12.3.6 and midnight, all of a sudden you have 50+ GB a DAY getting added to your offsite storage. It was loving crazy.

In short, gently caress PST files.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I dont know if they have specifically addresses this but we have multiple clients with dozens of PST files in the 5 to 10 GB range that dont seem to have problems. Its when the Archive or the OST gets above 20 GB that we see lots of Outlook slowdowns and start getting complaints about "lovely slow computers" and how we " dont know what we are doing" since we cant fix it if the client outright refuses to archive or delete old mails.
We have been on a crusade the last 2 years to remove any links to PST files on Network shares since they so massively gently caress up backup and offsite storage sizes, and move them to local none backed up storage. We had one client who was $1600 a month on overages on offsite storage until we removed the 15 PST files they were connected to on the personal shares. Each time that PST is opened, it acts as a new multi GB file to be backed up, even if nothing is added to it, just simply being opened in outlook changed its properties enough to trigger getting included in the backups.

10 people with 5 GB psts being added to the Backup set every time they opened outlook, sometimes multiple times a day while we are running backups at 6.9.12.3.6 and midnight, all of a sudden you have 50+ GB a DAY getting added to your offsite storage. It was loving crazy.

I agree with every word of this post.

Especially the last three.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Screwdriver chat:

Quickly skim the part on Pozidrive.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives

You won't find them often, but when you do, it'll save wear on the screws if you use the right bit.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

skooma512 posted:

I think like 4 gb.

Like mllaneza said it's pretty easy to crack open a Mac laptop*, just don't lose the screws. With an install base of 200+ Mac laptops I pop them on an almost daily basis, and it's wicked easy to swap out the RAM and HDD (assuming you have OS X install media handy). Picking up an iFixit toolkit will also make the screws that much easier to handle: https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/54-Bit-Driver-Kit/IF145-022-1

Also iFixit is great for guides on how to rip apart various Mac hardware and put it back together.

*Not applicable to Retina Display models because Apple

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 12, 2015

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

pr0digal posted:

Like mllaneza said it's pretty easy to crack open a Mac laptop*, just don't lose the screws. With an install base of 200+ Mac laptops I pop them on an almost daily basis, and it's wicked easy to swap out the RAM and HDD (assuming you have OS X install media handy). Picking up an iFixit toolkit will also make the screws that much easier to handle: https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/54-Bit-Driver-Kit/IF145-022-1

Also iFixit is great for guides on how to rip apart various Mac hardware and put it back together.

As a tech in a mac heavy environment, that toolkit is the greatest thing one can purchase.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Interesting. PST's are kind a way of life. Users only get maybe 1gb of storage on the server each for e-mail. So PST's are kind of a must. I know in older versions of outlook they use to become unstable at 2gb this must have been fixed in newer versions.
I hate PST files too mainly because I hate trying to recover them when they get corrupted.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

jadeddrifter posted:

It's mostly a non-issue once you upgrade past Office 2007. I still wouldn't go over 5GB or so (limit is 50GB) just because it's a bitch to repair them if there is a problem (and problems are increasingly likely as the size increases).

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

An Angry Bug posted:

Try getting at least a smallnetbuilder recommended router if they're going the "cheap as gently caress" small network route. Even then, none of this is the right approach depending on what they actually want to do - and heading towards more of the $1000 router's features is going to cost you....a lot more like $1000.

That is of course assuming people even vaguely know what that means? I mean real routers (as people think of them) are layer 2/layer 3 routers and cost well, well above $1000.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
The company skimps on everything because it's trying to grow way too fast. Boss said they'd probably be trying other brands, but still have a sinking feeling in my gut. Well, at least I warned them. :smith:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
What features do they actually want?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
A lack of proper planning and lack of starting to look long term as a company grows is the kind of thing that tends to kill a company off if it's not eventually resolved. I'm sure you've heard of companies growing too fast?

edit: ^^^ as mentioned, Inspector is dead on.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Not sure. I'm just the research monkey who hasn't gotten a raise in three god drat years.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

pr0digal posted:

I don't see it listed anywhere, is that bit set magnetic?

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Gothmog1065 posted:

It would appear so:

Kit Contents:
4 mm Aluminum Driver - featuring a magnetic socket, rubber grips, and a ball-bearing swivel top
Flexible Shaft Extension - snake into hard to reach places
60 mm Shaft Extension - doubles as a T-handle for extra torque
1/4" Adapter - use this kit's 4 mm bits in standard 1/4" drivers
54 bits in the following sizes:
Pentalobe sizes 2, 5, 6 (iPhone, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro)
Flathead sizes 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4 mm
Phillips sizes #000, #00, #0, #1, #2
JIS sizes 000, 00, 0, 1
Torx sizes T3, T4, T5, T6
Torx Security TR7, TR8, TR9, TR10, TR15, TR20 (compatible with non-security)
Hex sizes 0.7, 0.9, 1.3, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 6 mm
Square sizes #0, #1, #2
Triangle size 3 mm
Tri-wing sizes #0, #1
Nut Driver sizes 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 5 mm

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

An Angry Bug posted:

If you need a router to connect a lot of people for cheap MikroTik has very cheap hardware. A cheap consumer router will never perform well under a large workload.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

TWBalls posted:

It would appear so:

Kit Contents:
4 mm Aluminum Driver - featuring a magnetic socket, rubber grips, and a ball-bearing swivel top
Flexible Shaft Extension - snake into hard to reach places
60 mm Shaft Extension - doubles as a T-handle for extra torque
1/4" Adapter - use this kit's 4 mm bits in standard 1/4" drivers
54 bits in the following sizes:
Pentalobe sizes 2, 5, 6 (iPhone, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro)
Flathead sizes 1, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4 mm
Phillips sizes #000, #00, #0, #1, #2
JIS sizes 000, 00, 0, 1
Torx sizes T3, T4, T5, T6
Torx Security TR7, TR8, TR9, TR10, TR15, TR20 (compatible with non-security)
Hex sizes 0.7, 0.9, 1.3, 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 4.5, 5, 6 mm
Square sizes #0, #1, #2
Triangle size 3 mm
Tri-wing sizes #0, #1
Nut Driver sizes 2.5, 3, 3.5, 4, 5 mm

It only took me 10 minutes to find that grayed out text. Has anyone used the "pro" version of the toolkit? Are those tweezers the same flimsy poo poo most people sell? I'm going to assume not, they look decent quality.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

lampey posted:

If you need a router to connect a lot of people for cheap MikroTik has very cheap hardware. A cheap consumer router will never perform well under a large workload.

I was going to say you could go with MikroTik or Ubiquiti. DD-WRT isn't very user friendly in the more advanced features, so that point of contention is really already out the window. You're either paying for just the hardware, then making up the difference in configuration/management or paying more for an easier interface (Meraki/Sonicwall type stuff.)

Then you get into the high-end Cisco/Juniper equipment where it's all hardware/features and you're back to a difficult configuration/management process. But I'm assuming if you're still at the point where management is trying to cheap out you wouldn't need that stuff.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 12, 2015

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Gothmog1065 posted:

It only took me 10 minutes to find that grayed out text. Has anyone used the "pro" version of the toolkit? Are those tweezers the same flimsy poo poo most people sell? I'm going to assume not, they look decent quality.

Looks like there's at least one guy on Amazon that says the tweezers are crap:

Some dude named Trent Robertson posted:

The UGLY:
The quality in the tweezers sucks. Period. NONE of the tweezers pinched at the tips upon delivery. This is VERY irritating when you are trying to remove a small item from a circuit board, when the item keeps slipping. One of the tweezers was completely bent where it looked like someone dropped it before putting it into the set. When I looked at the tweezers through a magnifying glass, I could clearly see a gap at the tips. I corrected it with some specialized tools I had, but the average DIY wouldn't have these and you really shouldn't have to do this.

But, it appears that there are two versions of the kit available. One is crap quality and the other is supposedly very good.

Some dude named MSC posted:

They contacted me a few days after the review and asked me very specific questions. There are 2 versions of this thing floating around and you definitely want the one with orange letters on the back of the driver set. The difference in quality is night and day.
I am happy with the replacement and they sent it to me with no fuss. They need to get the bad versions out of circulation. They are aware of them so if you have a problem, tell them..

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I have the non-pro version of that kit, it's really nice except for the driver. It's really flimsy and small, I don't have monster hands or anything but any screw requiring a bit of torque is a challenge because there's just nothing to hold onto with the driver. If you can find a more substantial driver with a magnet end that will fit the bits in that set, you'll be golden.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

An Angry Bug posted:

I do love ddwrt but yes this is a big oversell and not a wise decision. The next thing this person will be telling you is to upgrade to the beta versions to get the latest features. I bet his home Internet works brilliantly and no one complains because he can fix problems before his wife gets home.

The work and understanding requires of deploying a network that requires $1000+ hardware is greater than finding a way around the price tag.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

An Angry Bug posted:

:frogsiren:
I love DDWRT for home but the linksys routers are still consumer grade hardware, and not generally compatible with offices of more than 5 bedrooms.

If you really want to save some money, check out mikrotik. it's a pretty steep learning curve but it is hella cheap.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3388528

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 12, 2015

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Gothmog1065 posted:

If you have a rare earth magnet any driver can become magnetic. If you work inside any hardware a lot, the nice nylon spudger is a lifesaver. So is the site in general, step by step instructions with pictures, and diagrams of the screws with sizes called out. Super handy.

And the retina display models are just fine to open :colbert:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

mllaneza posted:

And the retina display models are just fine to open :colbert:

I believe he was referring to the ability to upgrade the ram and SSD.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

flosofl posted:

I believe he was referring to the ability to upgrade the ram and SSD.

That I was. But looking at iFixit it seems you can replace the SSD on the 2014 model so I am wrong!

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Gothmog1065 posted:

I have the Pro Toolkit and it's pretty great. I don't see why people don't like the tweezers unless they're doing something weird with them. The sharp-point tweezers have a durable tip, and the ESD tweezers are nylon so you can't put them through a paper shredder but they do fine for repair work.

Along those lines, you can replace the SSD on any Retina models. It's just a matter of getting a replacement PCIe SSD rather than the older SATA ones.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

socialsecurity posted:

A growing number of industries expect you to do 6 months to a year of unpaid work before you can get a job in them, not even tied to school each time either like Journalism and like all of Hollywood.

Hahaha, bullshit. I never worked a day as an unpaid intern and I'm doing just fine in entertainment. (Of course there's a drat good reason we have the strongest unions in the US.)

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

thelightguy posted:

Hahaha, bullshit. I never worked a day as an unpaid intern and I'm doing just fine in entertainment. (Of course there's a drat good reason we have the strongest unions in the US.)

When I was an intern at my current company (had to for school) I was unpaid. They are now (barely) paying interns and calling them Production Runners thanks to that Black Swan lawsuit (http://articles.latimes.com/2014/apr/06/business/la-fi-ct-hollywood-interns-unpaid-internships)

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sirotan posted:

I have the non-pro version of that kit, it's really nice except for the driver. It's really flimsy and small, I don't have monster hands or anything but any screw requiring a bit of torque is a challenge because there's just nothing to hold onto with the driver. If you can find a more substantial driver with a magnet end that will fit the bits in that set, you'll be golden.

Fit the driver extension tool into the hole at the top of the driver if you need extra torque.

If you need the extension to reach, grab another screwdriver or pen or something instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

EoRaptor posted:

Fit the driver extension tool into the hole at the top of the driver if you need extra torque.

If you need the extension to reach, grab another screwdriver or pen or something instead.

I do that now only because I've not bothered to get a better driver. Using the extension as a T-bar is really kind of a pain in the rear end that doubles the amount of effort you need to exert just to unscrew something.

Or maybe I really do just have monster hands.

• Locked thread