Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Alouicious posted:

Hug Those Dads is a pro-tier sign tho

Wanna hug that dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Has Alltel been posted here yet? That small cellphone company from the mid 2000s with their ads which portrayed the competitor phone companies as "DnD and Star Trek" nerds and their own brand as a guy named Chad with a retarded haircut and a punchable face?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1jfofjPtEY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgnSgW-xz3c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuftRh3QUsU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlBxHG4vfKw

Yes, the other guys are "dumb" but they're also cartoon caricatures of an obsolete stereotype, and your own guy is just actively contemptible. For christs sake you named him "Chad."

edit: Oh the actors name is Chad. Well, they should have changed it.

Liquid Dinosaur has a new favorite as of 22:43 on Jan 12, 2015

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

nucleicmaxid posted:

That doesn't look anywhere near as terrible as I was expecting. I mean, I wouldn't order it, but it doesn't look super gross, just kinda gross.

What does the pizza you buy look like if it makes these McD's pizza photos look "kinda gross"?!

:psyduck:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Present posted:

What does the pizza you buy look like if it makes these McD's pizza photos look "kinda gross"?!

:psyduck:

Good?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The crispy chicken version of the arch delux was good and I legit miss it. I guess their reverse psychology poo poo worked on 12 yr old me

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

bigtom posted:

-Having the client in the ad. Usually they can't read for poo poo, sound stiff with marbles in their mouth, and generally do it to feed their ego. Unless you're Frank Perdue or Lee Iacocca, don't do it.

Even worse, the client's "adorable" preteen kid. "My daddy has great deals on mobile homes!" They even have the kid on the billboards. I can see having the salesman on the billboard to show he's got an honest face or whatever, but some random ugly kid?

Though there is one local ad -- I think for a jewelry store in Longview or Tyler, TX, if you want to try to look it up, I'm sure as hell not going to voluntarily subject myself to it -- starring the wife of the proprietor, with the most grating loving "bless your heart" southern accent ever (think Paula Deen but an order of magnitude more so). And she actually says "bless your heart." It's one of the few ads that makes me immediately change the station.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Delivery McGee posted:

Even worse, the client's "adorable" preteen kid. "My daddy has great deals on mobile homes!" They even have the kid on the billboards. I can see having the salesman on the billboard to show he's got an honest face or whatever, but some random ugly kid?

Though there is one local ad -- I think for a jewelry store in Longview or Tyler, TX, if you want to try to look it up, I'm sure as hell not going to voluntarily subject myself to it -- starring the wife of the proprietor, with the most grating loving "bless your heart" southern accent ever (think Paula Deen but an order of magnitude more so). And she actually says "bless your heart." It's one of the few ads that makes me immediately change the station.

Isn't "bless his/her heart" Southernese for "that person is a retard?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Has Alltel been posted here yet? That small cellphone company from the mid 2000s with their ads which portrayed the competitor phone companies as "DnD and Star Trek" nerds and their own brand as a guy named Chad with a retarded haircut and a punchable face?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1jfofjPtEY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgnSgW-xz3c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuftRh3QUsU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlBxHG4vfKw

Yes, the other guys are "dumb" but they're also cartoon caricatures of an obsolete stereotype, and your own guy is just actively contemptible. For christs sake you named him "Chad."

edit: Oh the actors name is Chad. Well, they should have changed it.

The funniest part is that partway through the ad campaign Alltel got bought by I believe TMobile, so all of a sudden TMobile no longer had a nerd in their commercials.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Ad music chat: this one caused some controversy a few years ago because the company thought "Pumped Up Kicks" (a song about a school shooting) made for a good soundtrack for a beer commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-bb_FR1VH4

When they were called out for it they simply explained that the song cut out before the lyrics about outrunning bullets. Personally I'm more offended by just how boring it is.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Delivery McGee posted:

This is really common in Central Florida.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-7vXysgER8

(with bonus eye patch)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZB7YvjvVTU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

It basically means that said person is a fucktard. Or, if said to you, it's a super 'nice' version of 'go gently caress yourself.'

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Completely anecdotal but people from the south have taken to cramming "blessed" into their speech as much as possible (have a blessed day" instead of "have a nice day") because it's one more way of pushing Jesus on people and spiting their perceived enemies, akin to how saying "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays" became a thing.

Zero One posted:

This is really common in Central Florida.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-7vXysgER8

(with bonus eye patch)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZB7YvjvVTU

Here in North Florida a local car dealer has been using his twin daughters in his ads since they were old enough to talk and they're so hated that at one point a free local rag declared them the scariest people in Jacksonville.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Sappo569 posted:

It's true, awhile ago they changed the way they take orders... any mcdonalds I goto now it's easily 10-15 min for an order, line or not

When I worked there in the mid 90's, we would have a holding bin of prepared food, that would stay there for 10 min max (either it would get thrown out, unlikely, or someone would order it).

The benefits of having someone walk up and order a bigmac, and have it in their hands literally 20 seconds later, far outweighed binning a few hamburgers over the course of a day

Ugh that turned into a rant !

Hold times at fast food places, in my experience are very short. Just a few minutes. I used to do POS support for Wendys (as well as other QSRs) and the owners really try to make their food as fresh and high quality they can for the price. Give QRSs a chance. The tomatoes get sliced daily, as do the onions and other vegetables that they need. Yes, some used bagged, but not as many as you'd think. The buns come every day or every other, baked by a local bakery.

You don't have to like the food, but they are doing their best. I've watched GMs scrub the legs of the frosty machine on their hands and knees to make sure that the area that meets the floor is as shiny as a mirror.

On the other hand, Arbys sucks. Don't eat there.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of bad commercials that send the bad message, Cadi douchebags style...how about that one ad featuring "Fame" featuring those driving the suv as emperors.

Yea, other people are literally your slaves for buying this car and doesn't mean you're a bad person at all to compare yourself to ancient pharaohs.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Yeah, it's "if you don't buy our poo poo for your wife ..."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sleeveless posted:

Completely anecdotal but people from the south have taken to cramming "blessed" into their speech as much as possible (have a blessed day" instead of "have a nice day") because it's one more way of pushing Jesus on people and spiting their perceived enemies, akin to how saying "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays" became a thing.

Here in North Florida a local car dealer has been using his twin daughters in his ads since they were old enough to talk and they're so hated that at one point a free local rag declared them the scariest people in Jacksonville.

Hey I went to their dealership last weekend (likely because I was aware of it from all the ads with those annoying girls) and it was loving terrible

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Taeke posted:

Now that I've finally caught up with the rest of the world and got a smartphone I sometimes watch youtube when in bed or on the toilet, and for the first time in forever I have ads I have to skip.

Dredging this up from waaaay back, but there's adblock plus for Android at least. Rather clever too, works as a proxy that filters out the ads rather than a browser plugin.

Wish I had something ad-related to offer, but somebody already posted that creepy as gently caress ice cream commercial.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Sleeveless posted:

KEITH PIERSON TOYOTA WONDERTWINS ACTIVATE whooooosshhh

His wife always looks so uncomfortable in those ads. English does not seem to be her first language, and acting does not come naturally. I always feel pretty bad for her. The kids also seem pretty over dad's poo poo and his Guy Fierri haircut.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

So was there no class-action suit against McDonalds for that monopoly bullshit?
I specifically went there as a kid stupidly thinking the more fries and drinks I bought, the richer I would be the next day.

How is any of what happened even remotely legal at the customer-end?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

nucleicmaxid posted:

I wouldn't order it, but it doesn't look super gross, just kinda gross.

Just looks like any other low to mid-tier pizza really. Looks better than most chains (eg. Pizza Hut or Domino's), just not up to the standard of a good local place. I guess if you like those artisanal gourmet wood-fired pizzas then that would have way too much toppings on it for you, but if you like real pizza then that looks pretty normal.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FuhrerHat posted:

So was there no class-action suit against McDonalds for that monopoly bullshit?
I specifically went there as a kid stupidly thinking the more fries and drinks I bought, the richer I would be the next day.

How is any of what happened even remotely legal at the customer-end?

They didn't knowingly commit fraud is pretty much the start and end of why it wasn't an intentional defrauding of the customer.

Oh and in case yall are curious the average spot for the just completed College Football Championship Game already hovers at the million mark and the ratings for the previous game (Ohio v Alabama) is the highest rated cable program of all time so get hyped for TV slowly turning into sports all the time. For comparison the Super Bowl (aka; as your marketing team I will kill you if we're doing a spot, oh god we are, aren't we) goes for 4 million and the Final Four hovers at around 1.5 million.

Lipumira
May 6, 2007

FIRE!

muscles like this? posted:

The funniest part is that partway through the ad campaign Alltel got bought by I believe TMobile, so all of a sudden TMobile no longer had a nerd in their commercials.

Actually got bought by Verizon but that's neither here nor there. I worked for Alltel when those commercials launched and thought they were pretty bad at the time - yay, we are smug douchebags! In all my years of telecom (15+) I have never seen a telecom commercial that I liked.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Tiggum posted:

Just looks like any other low to mid-tier pizza really. Looks better than most chains (eg. Pizza Hut or Domino's), just not up to the standard of a good local place. I guess if you like those artisanal gourmet wood-fired pizzas then that would have way too much toppings on it for you, but if you like real pizza then that looks pretty normal.

I'm pretty sure that it is in fact a Dominos Pizza pizza. I worked at one for years and that's what my dinner looked like when I made it (deluxe with cheese on top). Plus the chairs in the photo are of a particular shade of blue that used to be the shade used in the logo like 20 years ago.

Also that guy that said it looks kinda gross has got to be some kind of autist.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Barudak posted:

They didn't knowingly commit fraud is pretty much the start and end of why it wasn't an intentional defrauding of the customer.

Oh and in case yall are curious the average spot for the just completed College Football Championship Game already hovers at the million mark and the ratings for the previous game (Ohio v Alabama) is the highest rated cable program of all time so get hyped for TV slowly turning into sports all the time. For comparison the Super Bowl (aka; as your marketing team I will kill you if we're doing a spot, oh god we are, aren't we) goes for 4 million and the Final Four hovers at around 1.5 million.

Sports are always some of the highest rated programs. It's not like people just discovered sports on TV. And why wouldn't a marketing team want to do a Super Bowl ad?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

kazil posted:

And why wouldn't a marketing team want to do a Super Bowl ad?

Having 4 million dollars is better than not having 4 million dollars.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Present posted:

I'm pretty sure that it is in fact a Dominos Pizza pizza. I worked at one for years and that's what my dinner looked like when I made it (deluxe with cheese on top). Plus the chairs in the photo are of a particular shade of blue that used to be the shade used in the logo like 20 years ago.

From what I remember Domino's pizzas don't have nearly as much toppings and are much blander-looking than that. I must admit, I haven't seen a Domino's pizza in years though.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Having 4 million dollars is better than not having 4 million dollars.

....That's not how advertising works. You spend money, and the advertisement makes you more money. I doubt Budweiser, Doritos, Pepsi, Coke, etc. are all going broke by advertising during the Super Bowl.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
The people who feature their kids and wife in their ads are just trying to avoid paying taxes on the money.

If Bob Anus Chevy Ford makes a regular commercial, they write off the price of the ad as an operating expense.

If Bob Anus Chevy Ford makes a commercial starring his underage kids, he writes off the price of the ad as an advertising expense, the money he pays to his kid is tax exempt income for the kid, as long as it's a reasonable amount to pay someone to be in an ad, and he gets to write off that money as an advertising expense as well.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

Jastiger posted:

Speaking of bad commercials that send the bad message, Cadi douchebags style...how about that one ad featuring "Fame" featuring those driving the suv as emperors.

Yea, other people are literally your slaves for buying this car and doesn't mean you're a bad person at all to compare yourself to ancient pharaohs.

I remember being jarred by the white dude carrying the black couple's bags from the 'lade at the end of the spot... an unusual piece of imaging.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

kizudarake posted:

The people who feature their kids and wife in their ads are just trying to avoid paying taxes on the money.

If Bob Anus Chevy Ford makes a regular commercial, they write off the price of the ad as an operating expense.

If Bob Anus Chevy Ford makes a commercial starring his underage kids, he writes off the price of the ad as an advertising expense, the money he pays to his kid is tax exempt income for the kid, as long as it's a reasonable amount to pay someone to be in an ad, and he gets to write off that money as an advertising expense as well.

Hiring actors is expensive and having your family on makes it seem more local and friendly. Its not really some clever tax scheme.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Hiring actors is expensive and having your family on makes it seem more local and friendly. Its not really some clever tax scheme.

You're a horrible poster.

lines 4 and 5

Granted, it can make it seem more local and friendly, so you're not all wrong, but you're still a horrible poster.

N.N. Ashe
Dec 29, 2009

kizudarake posted:

Sorry but this is pretty silly. The advertising is fully deductible, regardless of the actor. The money they pays their kid would not be tax exempt income. If the child does get paid, it would fall under normal earned income. However that entire situation is pretty stupid because on the off chance the parent actually wants to pay their kid, they can gift up to 14k~ tax free per gifting parent yearly.

Edit: Just saw your source material. That's actually a pretty clever tax bracket shifting strategy, I like it. However, I think it's more than reasonable that we are talking about an income value below what would make taking that position worthwhile.

N.N. Ashe has a new favorite as of 13:57 on Jan 13, 2015

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...

Delivery McGee posted:

Yeah...the ones with the kids are awful, usually because you have to edit them to death to get something useable out of them. And have the patience of a saint, unless you want to piss of the client, the kid, and the salesweasel.

And as a transplant to NC from NJ...they do cram the "have a blessed day!" stuff down your throat here. Gets annoying real quick....

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

bigtom posted:

Yeah...the ones with the kids are awful, usually because you have to edit them to death to get something useable out of them. And have the patience of a saint, unless you want to piss of the client, the kid, and the salesweasel.

And as a transplant to NC from NJ...they do cram the "have a blessed day!" stuff down your throat here. Gets annoying real quick....

The person is just wishing you well dude they aren't trying to convert you. Same with "I'll pray for them" when someone is in the hospital it just means that you're in their thoughts and want you to be well. Theres nothing sinister about it.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

kizudarake posted:

You're a horrible poster.

lines 4 and 5

Granted, it can make it seem more local and friendly, so you're not all wrong, but you're still a horrible poster.

Have a blessed day crazy person.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

N.N. Ashe posted:

Sorry but this is pretty silly. The advertising is fully deductible, regardless of the actor. The money they pays their kid would not be tax exempt income. If the child does get paid, it would fall under normal earned income. However that entire situation is pretty stupid because on the off chance the parent actually wants to pay their kid, they can gift up to 14k~ tax free per gifting parent yearly.

Edit: Just saw your source material. That's actually a pretty clever tax bracket shifting strategy, I like it. However, I think it's more than reasonable that we are talking about an income value below what would make taking that position worthwhile.

It's for shifting the profit from the business to the family and paying money for the kid's college/clothes without technically taking the money out of the company in a way that gets it taxed as corporate profits and as income to the business owner. Also, if it's a small enough amount, less than the standard deduction, per kid, then that's not taxed, and they can still gift up to around 14k in money to their kid on top of that, and not have it taxed as a gift.

So if you're a doctor, and your practice brings in what would normally be 100k of profit, but you have 7 kids, and a wife, you take a big group photo, print it as your practice's Christmas card, pay your wife and kids 5150 each, and you officially bring home 59k, your wife brings in 5150, and your kids either get 100 bucks a week "allowance", or 5150 bucks towards their college fund, and you get to write off an extra 40k as advertising expense, so that your practice gets taxed for 60k profit, but your family still benefits.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol
Regional lawyers always amuse me, this guy in particular. He has gone through a total "urban" re-branding the past few years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcBk8GrM270
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HylrXQBB1xY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnLrWyCw_MI

I guess as a dirty white devil I don't get it. How does lovely rap equate to a lawyer ?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Same with "I'll pray for them" when someone is in the hospital it just means that you're in their thoughts and want you to be well. Theres nothing sinister about it.

Naw it's totally possible for someone to say "I'll pray for you" and be really passive aggressive about it. They can even do it publicly via their place of business and turn it into a dumb homegrown marketing move!

Although I guess in some places the act of filling your storefront windows with rants about "facists" might be a good marketing move.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
You can make literally anything sound passive aggressive though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kazil posted:

....That's not how advertising works. You spend money, and the advertisement makes you more money. I doubt Budweiser, Doritos, Pepsi, Coke, etc. are all going broke by advertising during the Super Bowl.

Sure they aren't but even for them who are large general market advertisers its a woefully ineffecient spot. A good example of who shouldn't be at the superbowl are companies that do one and dones and have no other advertising throughout the year due to prestige. Chipotle for instance did this and completely changed strategy the next year because its such a bad idea.

On the note of terrible superbowl ads there was a shoe company whose ad was basically two white guys in a truck running down a black guy. It was their only major tv spot, made them look racist, and cratered their business to oblivion.