Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Hey Bernie, you cool with Weiss being an adviser at the Treasury?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

William Bear posted:

This article is sad, I wish it had more data instead of just anecdotes. Are there hundreds of these people? Thousands? The only clue is a later line stating that one broker has about 2 customers a month who refuse subsidies.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2015/01/12/americans-protest-obamacare-by-refusing-health-insurance-subsidies

It certainly shows the flaws of the jury-rigged universal healthcare the ACA gave us, but it gives cause for worry. If she was in the UK, would she refuse all medical care?

I suppose the ACA has flaws in how it markets itself too.

Some people just need to go away.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Radbot posted:

Not sure how that relates to childcare tax credits, the subject of the discussion we were having, but OK.

It's an example of tax policy affecting behavior.

You know, the subject we were discussing. But okay!

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Xibanya posted:

EDIT: to clarify, it appears you think I'm saying people will stop having babies if they don't get tax credits or that the gov't is the biggest factor in preventing demographic crises. That's not the case. What I'm arguing is that if you have a situation in which there is net negative population growth (ie, people are procreating below the replacement rate) then one way for a government to reverse this trend is to provide financial incentives to have children.

No, my original post was in response to:

Rygar201 posted:

Basically a society needs children to continue and caring for a child is expensive so Congress has decided to somewhat mitigate that cost through tax policy.

I was saying that is a really incomplete and bad argument in isolation since it implies that we are actually worried that without government subsidy people might not have enough children to perpetuate society. I don't think that anyone actually believes that and for that reason I don't think anyone would be convinced by such an argument, which is why I said it was bad. I wasn't saying that child tax credits are a bad idea.

Rygar201 posted:

We can easily do both. I can't believe I have to defend child credits to liberals. We can and should subsidize child rearing and make it easier to afford higher education

I'm not attacking child credits, I'm attacking your previous terrible defense of child credits.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jan 13, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Senate invoked cloture on the motion to proceed to S. 1. (Keystone) 63 - 32.

Democrats voting in favor: Bennet (CO), Carper (DE), Casey (PA), Donnelly (IN), Heitkamp (ND), King (ME), Manchin (WV), McCaskill (MO), Udall (NM), Tester (MT), Warner (VA).

Joementum fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 13, 2015

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Joementum posted:

The Senate invoked cloture on the motion to proceed to S. 1. (Keystone) 63 - 32.

Democrats voting in favor: Bennet (CO), Carper (DE), Casey (PA), Donnelly (IN), Heitkamp (ND), King (ME), Manchin (WV), McCaskill (MO), Udall (NM), Tester (MT), Warner (VA).

Still shy of what they need to override a veto, at least.

Amergin posted:

Japan has demographic issues that are more tied to their culture than anything else. Specifically their work culture (because who wants to do the dirty at midnight after you've worked a 12+ hour day and then gone to a forced bar run with the boss?).

Eh, work culture is only a small part of it. It's more a death by a thousand cuts situation.

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 13, 2015

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Eletriarnation posted:

No, my original post was in response to:

I was saying that is a really incomplete and bad argument in isolation since it implies that we are actually worried that without government subsidy people might not have enough children to perpetuate society. I don't think that anyone actually believes that and for that reason I don't think anyone would be convinced by such an argument, which is why I said it was bad. I wasn't saying that child tax credits are a bad idea.

I never made that point, you're tilting at a strawman

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Joementum posted:

Why do we like Bennet again?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Duke Igthorn posted:

Why do we like Bennet again?

:golfclap:

\/\/ Applies to you to \/\/

Rygar201 fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 13, 2015

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Joementum posted:

Democrats voting in favor: Manchin (WV)

Joe Manchin is anti-coal. You heard it here first.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Bonus quote of the day, "When I heard this, frankly, I choked on my porridge and I thought it must be April Fool's Day. This guy is clearly a complete idiot." ~ David Cameron, living caricature, on Fox News' contention that Birmingham is "totally Muslim".

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Did he call his bro Barack Obama and tell him about hit so they could share a good laugh?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
If so, he should tweet another picture of himself on the phone so the internet can make fun of him again

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Xibanya posted:

I'll be the first to say Spaniards are the laziest, most life-enjoying people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. And they ain't making babies. I remember people talking about this back in 2007 so it's not just because of the crisis. And Spaniards love loving, boy do they love loving. Every time I went to the park to smoke I saw people loving. Yes, in public, yes, in broad daylight.

They aren't making babies 'cause they can't afford them ('cause nobody has a job). My argument is that at this point some sort of stimulus to demand is needed to mitigate a demographic death spiral.

The argument that people aren't having sex because they're too tired makes no sense to me. Slaves in the US had positive birth rates. People make time for sex, that's the whole point of libido. In the age of scientifically assisted family planning, it's hard to believe that birth rates have anything to do with relative sex drives.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Joementum posted:

If so, he should tweet another picture of himself on the phone so the internet can make fun of him again

I hope he signs his texts to Barack Obama with LOL

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Joementum posted:

Bonus quote of the day, "When I heard this, frankly, I choked on my porridge and I thought it must be April Fool's Day. This guy is clearly a complete idiot." ~ David Cameron, living caricature, on Fox News' contention that Birmingham is "totally Muslim".

I am sad David Cameron did not contribute any #foxnewsfacts, but I guess that would make Pappy Murdoch sad.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Marco Rubio seen here in his natural habitat: drinking water.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I'm going to drop it after this, but...

Rygar201 posted:

I never made that point, you're tilting at a strawman

If you don't see how:

Rygar201 posted:

Basically a society needs children to continue and caring for a child is expensive so Congress has decided to somewhat mitigate that cost through tax policy.

I posted:

...implies that we are actually worried that without government subsidy people might not have enough children to perpetuate society.

then I don't know what to tell you. (EDIT: Again, I don't think you actually believe this, just that it's what you seem to be saying. Since you didn't mean this, perhaps you can elaborate on what you meant?) I only said anything because I don't think child tax credits are quite as simple an issue as you portrayed them to be when complaining about

Rygar201 posted:

how (some) child free people get so pissy about tax breaks for parents.

and if I were one of these people I'd be thoroughly unconvinced by what you did say.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 13, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
George Wallace Jr. is mad about the Selma movie's portrayal of his dad.

quote:

The movie "Selma" suggests that my father ordered troopers to beat participants in a nighttime civil rights march while television cameras were absent, which is pure, unadulterated fiction. Nor do I recall him ever making mention of a "mongrel" race that would result if segregation were ended. The truth and facts simply do not fit the image of my father that Oprah Winfrey and Brad Pitt wish to promote, so the producers needlessly changed history in order to tell what was an already compelling story in "Selma."

If only we could have seen the real George Wallace :qq:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Maybe you thought some Fox News pundit said the dumbest thing today about Obama not visiting Paris. Well, you were wrong. It's never a good idea to bet against the Texas Congressional delegation in such matters.

:godwin: :godwin: :godwin:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Joementum posted:

quote:

"In the name of the greatest people that have ever trod this earth, I draw the line in the dust and toss the gauntlet before the feet of tyranny . . . and I say . . . segregation today . . . segregation tomorrow . . . segregation forever.
And so it was meant in our racial lives . . . each race, within its own framework has the freedom to teach . . to instruct . . to develop . . to ask for and receive deserved help from others of separate racial stations. This is the great freedom of our American founding fathers . . . but if we amalgamate into the one unit as advocated by the communist philosophers . . then the enrichment of our lives . . . the freedom for our development . . . is gone forever. We become, therefore, a mongrel unit of one under a single all powerful government . . . and we stand for everything . . . and for nothing.
We invite the negro citizens of Alabama to work with us from his separate racial station . . as we will work with him ..."

-George Wallace, 1963

We can't end segregation or else we shall end up a worthless mongrel unit. How could anyone have drawn implications of a mongrel race from such language?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

jesus christ

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Joementum posted:

Wallace actually was well known for being especially sympathetic towards blacks when he was a judge. He adopted the segregationist platform after it turned out that it polled well.

So basically he was acting how Nixon would given the appropriate audience.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Joementum posted:

So, uh, I was pleasantly surprised to see that Oprah Winfrey and Brad Pitt were producers of Selma.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Joementum posted:

Is it bad that I just can't bring myself to give a poo poo either way besides kind of wanting to deny conservatives a victory? Keystone is seriously the most inconsequential political football of the last decade.

Actually wait, the 10 year anniversary of Terri Schiavo's feeding tube removal is still a month away. Ok, so second most inconsequential.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

computer parts posted:

Wallace actually was well known for being especially sympathetic towards blacks when he was a judge. He adopted the segregationist platform after it turned out that it polled well.

Not that it polled well, but that get lost the 1958 Governor campaign. In the primary it was Wallace, who as a judge known for being more lenient than the rest towards blacks (he gave probation some times), against John Malcolm Patterson, who ran with the support of the KKK. Losing that race lead to his famous quotes on changing his position, which I will link to rather than restate.

He's really a rather sad case study in how all consuming ambition can lead to becoming a terrible person.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Ted Cruz would like the Senate to repeal Common Core. I'll give you 3 guesses what is wrong with that idea

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

computer parts posted:

I didn't know that. And it makes him an even worse person, honestly.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Fried Chicken posted:

Ted Cruz would like the Senate to repeal Common Core. I'll give you 3 guesses what is wrong with that idea

Repeal the DoE.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Fried Chicken posted:

Not that it polled well, but that get lost the 1958 Governor campaign. In the primary it was Wallace, who as a judge known for being more lenient than the rest towards blacks (he gave probation some times), against John Malcolm Patterson, who ran with the support of the KKK. Losing that race lead to his famous quotes on changing his position, which I will link to rather than restate.

He's really a rather sad case study in how all consuming ambition can lead to becoming a terrible person.

gently caress sellouts, but part of the problem with people like Wallace and his modern equivalents is that they represent what a sizeable portion of America actually wants, which is why the keep getting elected. Sure, the positions may be spiteful, self-destructive, and factually wrong, but their vote counts as much as yours or mine.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Joementum posted:

Maybe you thought some Fox News pundit said the dumbest thing today about Obama not visiting Paris. Well, you were wrong. It's never a good idea to bet against the Texas Congressional delegation in such matters.

I literally laughed out loud. gently caress, man.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

Fox only just missed the time window for crazy of the day.

RESET THE CLOCK

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
So is the Subcommittee on Space, Science and Competitiveness that Ted Cruz is in charge of another toothless committee, or will he actually be able to do some damage from his post?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

baw posted:

So is the Subcommittee on Space, Science and Competitiveness that Ted Cruz is in charge of another toothless committee, or will he actually be able to do some damage from his post?

If you care about science/research funding and environmental science, this is going to be a horrible, horrible few years.

And it's not just Ted Cruz, we got other science deniers, including one from Florida.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
Space exploration is cool and everything but on the other hand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtBy_ppG4hY

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Neeksy posted:

If you care about science/research funding and environmental science, this is going to be a horrible, horrible few years.

And it's not just Ted Cruz, we got other science deniers, including one from Florida.

Not like it was very important to begin with.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Yo, financial poo poo is the reason why my wife and I are not planning to have another child. If we were in a slightly better financial situation plus a tax credit that would certainly help. To make it clear: we would like to have another child but we can't afford it.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Doctor Butts posted:

Yo, financial poo poo is the reason why my wife and I are not planning to have another child. If we were in a slightly better financial situation plus a tax credit that would certainly help. To make it clear: we would like to have another child but we can't afford it.

You're more fiscally responsible than most of the assholes in this country.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cali goons: Y'all like Kamala Harris?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
She cool, yeah. Though when I was voting for her in the June primary I saw a certain Orly Taitz running against her and was tempted to vote for her instead as a joke.

• Locked thread