Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
What would you even do in such a game? The main antagonist is literally a comet that shoots down meteors every decade or so. How do you fight that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gologle posted:

What would you even do in such a game? The main antagonist is literally a comet that shoots down meteors every decade or so. How do you fight that?
in shadow hearts it turns out that a meteor is actually god

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gologle posted:

The same way you fight an encrouching parallel universe, a literal diety or the concept of evolution?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Gologle posted:

Are you serious? Like, are you actually serious? There's a loving Dragonriders of Pern game? Why?

Oh yeah it's real and it tosses out the whatever Pern lore exists and makes it's own.

Everybody gets a gold dragon, also you have a little Navi-like little dragon who doesn't talk and appears for no reason and just exists to act as a point for poo poo you might miss because the level design is pretty bad.

Also you are telepathicly connected to this navi dragon but you somehow can get 6 of them. The 6 different ones are a different color but unlike Yoshis the difference in color is just cosmetic and there is no difference or benefit in changing them out.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 11, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

The same way you fight an encrouching parallel universe, a literal diety or the concept of evolution?

Okay, the first one is Wild Arms 2, the second one is SMT plus a million other jrpgs, but I'm drawing a blank on the third.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

mycot posted:

Okay, the first one is Wild Arms 2, the second one is SMT plus a million other jrpgs, but I'm drawing a blank on the third.

EVO for the Super NES.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mycot posted:

Wild Arms 3's Nega Filgaia which is basically an alternate version of the world you fight through its various stages of evolution.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

Like to compare, I would rather play 30 Drakengards than 1 .hack.

Whoah now, let's not say anything we wanna take back. GU is actually fun to play and IMOQ is marginally less of a slog that Dgard.
At least until they ask for 2 billion virus cores in Quarantine.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Gologle posted:

It's simple, actually. Just have the Dark Knight and the Light Knight combine into a phoenix to fly up to the comet from the Tower of Babel and kick the rear end of the evil god that lives on the comet.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hey, the final boss of the newest Pokemon games is a mutated virus living in a meteor.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Terper posted:

Hey, the final boss of the newest Pokemon games is a mutated virus living in a meteor.

Mother Brain....

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The Yakuza games are brawler RPGS. The PS2 is home to the first two games, so maybe you want to try them. They have a cult following, and I quite like them. Also Shadow Hearts. I said that already, but seriously.

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 11, 2015

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Gologle posted:

Illusion of Gaia did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJNhxnc5ybk

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SSNeoman posted:

Whoah now, let's not say anything we wanna take back. GU is actually fun to play and IMOQ is marginally less of a slog that Dgard.
At least until they ask for 2 billion virus cores in Quarantine.

GU is one of the most boring JRPGs I've ever played. In both gameplay and story it does nothing interesting and doesn't even have the decency to have funny bad characters and instead has the most generic anime character archetypes. I've played so many action RPGs and I remember the lovely Fullmetal Alchemist ones more than I do GU.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If I have to give it credit for anything it's admirable they tried to lockdown the waifu simulator stuff before Persona, I guess.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

The Taint Reaper posted:

Oh yeah it's real and it tosses out the whatever Pern lore exists and makes it's own.

Everybody gets a gold dragon, also you have a little Navi-like little dragon who doesn't talk and appears for no reason and just exists to act as a point for poo poo you might miss because the level design is pretty bad.

Also you are telepathicly connected to this navi dragon but you somehow can get 6 of them. The 6 different ones are a different color but unlike Yoshis the difference in color is just cosmetic and there is no difference or benefit in changing them out.

Those little dragons do exist in the books, and people can bond to multiple ones of them. In the weird vaguely sci-fi origin novel they actually get the big dragons from those ones by using a lot of genetic manipulation. My mum was really into the books and we got the game. I could not even finish the first level it was that bad. But it's available on PC if you want to try it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

It's simple, actually. Just have the Dark Knight and the Light Knight combine into a phoenix to fly up to the comet from the Tower of Babel and kick the rear end of the evil god that lives on the comet.

*kicks in door* WHO MADE AN ILLUSION OF GAIA JOKE, THIS HI-FIVE ISN'T GOING TO GIVE ITSELF

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

HiKaizer posted:

Those little dragons do exist in the books, and people can bond to multiple ones of them. In the weird vaguely sci-fi origin novel they actually get the big dragons from those ones by using a lot of genetic manipulation. My mum was really into the books and we got the game. I could not even finish the first level it was that bad. But it's available on PC if you want to try it.
The little dragons are detailed in Dragonsong, Dragonsinger and Dragondrums. The main character is a young girl who wants to be a Harper and bonds with 10 or so of the little dragons.

Nihilarian fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 12, 2015

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Oxxidation posted:

*kicks in door* WHO MADE AN ILLUSION OF GAIA JOKE, THIS HI-FIVE ISN'T GOING TO GIVE ITSELF

I missed that post before making mine. :eng99:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Nihilarian posted:

Wild Arms 3 is a good PS2 era RPG. And Radiata Stories.

I have a hard time recommending Radiata Stories because the story was really bad and the gameplay is like 90% optional. But at the same time I kind of loved it because at one point I found myself in a sewer and recruited a sewer hobo to my party. Then spent the rest of the game bbfs with this hobo beating up monsters.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Taint Reaper posted:

I don't know I think Dragonriders:Chronicles of Pern beats out Drakengard in every aspect.

Seriously if you own a dreamcast and not Pern, you owe yourself to play one of the most addicting bad games that ever existed since The Bouncer.

You won't stop thinking about it until you have beaten everything.

why wouldnt you just play the pc version

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Never having played FF Tactics before, I picked up the iOS version for my iPad, and it's pretty cool so far.

Only problem is that when I tried to download it to my iPhone, its showing up as if I haven't purchased the game rather than the usual cloud icon that shows up. What gives? Anyone had this issue with iOS Tactics?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

The iPad version is explicitly named "for iPad" so I imagine you have to buy the iPhone version if you really want to play it on there.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

The Taint Reaper posted:

Aside from the gold dragon, that's not really tossing out everything. That isn't really tossing out anything, actually. Also lmao I just remembered that the dragons of Pern can time travel.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I started up Drakengard 3 because the thread was talking about it and skipped around enough to see two villains get stabbed in the face and the final boss which was enough Drakengard to last me the year.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gologle posted:

With turn based battles and tactical character development

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
If you flank the comet from the side and use a Knight sword, you get bonus damage. Don't use bows those, comets are immune to penetrative damage unless using thermo-nuclear bomb tipped arrows, which only drop from goblins in the Moon Swamp Cave.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I like the Wild Arms games but they're very niche, and 4 is kinda bad. Also 3 is only really good if you're into the series, otherwise most people will probably find it kinda dull. The worst part about 2 is the translation is loving terrible and that world of Filgaia isn't as interesting as the one from the first game.

Anyway the time has come, I knew it was going to happen and was dreading it, and it's finally here. I've reached the Calm Lands in FFX. Now I will spend the rest of my life trying to get the Sun Sigil.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Endorph posted:

in shadow hearts it turns out that a meteor is actually god

Punching out god(s) is one of the best things about that series. The other best thing about the series was the general tone and setting, I had a lot of fun with the first two and I felt they managed to balance the dark gothicy setting and the fun, humor bits pretty well.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Twelve by Pies posted:

Anyway the time has come, I knew it was going to happen and was dreading it, and it's finally here. I've reached the Calm Lands in FFX. Now I will spend the rest of my life trying to get the Sun Sigil.

:smith::hf::smith:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

I like the Wild Arms games but they're very niche, and 4 is kinda bad. Also 3 is only really good if you're into the series, otherwise most people will probably find it kinda dull. The worst part about 2 is the translation is loving terrible and that world of Filgaia isn't as interesting as the one from the first game.

Good luck, friend. As sad as it is I've never gotten mad at a game like I did that loving goddamn race.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Wild Arms 3's Nega Filgaia which is basically an alternate version of the world you fight through its various stages of evolution.

I just thought you meant Lavos.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Chrono Trigger DS is really good and I actually enjoy the arena. It's basically just a grindy cheat system to get you crazy stats from effectively free ___ Tabs and better gear than you can buy for a bunch of the game, but it doesn't really feel like it since you have to gamble some gold at it and it takes some time to level your monster enough for the (frankly not that necessary to fight at for most of the cheatingest stuff) higher tiers. It's not the most elegant addition but it is fun, having played it all so many times before.

I like these DS re-releases, and this is probably the least changed one too. I hope they do something cool with FFVI sooner or later.

I'm really wanting to get Bravely Default. I don't think I've read anything seriously negative about it, and you guys seem to really like it.

I wonder if I should see about getting a PSP or a Vita to play some of those RPGs - what are some good exclusives to check out, if they have some worth mentioning (not sure how invested publishers are in Sony's handhelds since I never really see them).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The negative to Bravely Default is that getting the true ending involves replaying the 4 crystal dungeons (not as tedious as it sounds because you can turn off random encounters) like...5 times I think?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Tae posted:

The negative to Bravely Default is that getting the true ending involves replaying the 4 crystal dungeons (not as tedious as it sounds because you can turn off random encounters) like...5 times I think?

Or a few minutes on youtube, haha. It'd be cool to have that kind of time still, but as I recently was told very fairly when I said I don't really "get" Zelda games anymore, I'm gettin' old. :qq: Which is also probably why I won't worry too much if I do miss out on some good Vita RPGs. Seems like most RPG studios are partnered to the nines with Nintendo anyway - do they have all the Final Fantasies as exclusives?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Agreed posted:

I recently was told very fairly when I said I don't really "get" Zelda games anymore, I'm gettin' old. :qq: Which is also probably why I won't worry too much if I do miss out on some good Vita RPGs. Seems like most RPG studios are partnered to the nines with Nintendo anyway - do they have all the Final Fantasies as exclusives?

Zelda hasn't been good since the GameCube, seriously. When the best game in your franchise is on the SNES...

Actually... :v:

Anyway, FF Type-0 was exclusive to PSP, Crisis Core and Dissidia are the other FF games on PSP worth your attention. Bravely Default is on the 3DS, but it might as well be a Final Fantasy game. I don't know much about what the Vita has to offer.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Zelda hasn't been good since the GameCube, seriously. When the best game in your franchise is on the SNES...

You are some horrible monster to hate Another Link To the past

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tae posted:

I have not enjoyed (yet stupidly played them all) a Zelda game since the Link's Awakening and even I'd be hard pressed to say that Link Between Worlds isn't a solid title.

In other questions of the quality of games on systems I don't own any word of how FF: Other M Mevius will play?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Actually... :v:

Anyway, FF Type-0 was exclusive to PSP, Crisis Core and Dissidia are the other FF games on PSP worth your attention. Bravely Default is on the 3DS, but it might as well be a Final Fantasy game. I don't know much about what the Vita has to offer.

The 3DS Zelda game is fantastic and also a direct sequel to the SNES game. Seriously if the SNES game was your favorite you should play it.

For FF games the Vita has FFX/X-2 HD and that's about it, but you can play all the PSP and PS1 releases on the Vita too. 7,8,9 are all PS1 classics, 4,5,6 have PS1 classics versions but they're not the best, I think FF1,2,3 all had PSP versions you can play on the Vita, and you can play either PS1 or PSP versions of FF Tactics.

Also Dissidia is fun. The Vita's strength at this point is basically having portable versions of old games you like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Tae posted:

Oops, that's on my list of 3DS games to get. New Christmas present, still playing BD and Mario and Layton vs Wright.

But I've played every other Zelda, and it sounds like we all agree there.