Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So what's looking like the best clan for pre-release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

KidDynamite posted:

The one you want to play.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Cheon's Stream is over 500 Subs/donations and he still money drafted a Chalice of the Void.

Honestly mostly hoping for another story as good/horrific as the house shorts one though.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

If the seeded packs have a chance of containing Monastery Mentor or Soulfire Grand Master I imagine that Jeskai will be pretty popular.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Gumdrop Larry posted:

If the seeded packs have a chance of containing Monastery Mentor or Soulfire Grand Master I imagine that Jeskai will be pretty popular.

I have a feeling that'd be any of the clans with white in them.

At least I think the prerelease seeded boosters for Khans did that.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

KidDynamite posted:

Usually by this point there's internet consensus on the "obvious" best choice, have they not said what the clan promo cards are or something?

Count Bleck posted:

weren't the jeskai seeded packs pretty bad for sealed? abzan was where it was at for Khans.

IIRC the khans pre-release sealed basically went Abzan-Mardu-Temur-Sultai-Jeskai

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
IIRC with KTK they stopped having one specific promo card for color/clan/whatever choice and having seeded packs with quite a few options.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

IIRC with KTK they stopped having one specific promo card for color/clan/whatever choice and having seeded packs with quite a few options.

Yeah but usually by this point we know at least what some of the promo cards are going to be, right? Am I misremembering Khans spoiler season?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Those of you losing your collective minds over these twitch donations don't really have the perspective of watching 10x these numbers roll in on the regular on LoL/Hearthstone streams.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Toshimo posted:

Those of you losing your collective minds over these twitch donations don't really have the perspective of watching 10x these numbers roll in on the regular on LoL/Hearthstone streams.

I guess what I'm getting at is that it's super sad Magic streamers don't make this much full time so that we'd have a near-constant buffet of watchable streams like other games. I wonder why that is....

MODO Sucks

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

If I remember right though the stamped foils in the Khans seeded packs were all clan cards with the watermarks, and both those guys have the Jeskai watermark. I think it was eight cards total, with seven rares and one mythic which was the clan's khan. This is a big assumption, but since the khans are rare now if they want a potential clan mythic in the packs it would most likely be the cycle of Soulfire Grand Master, Torrent Elemental, Brutal Hordechief, Shaman of the Great Hunt and Warden of the First Tree. Again though that's a big if. They may not stick mythics in these seeded packs at all, I'm just making guesses.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
When did the cultural shift from "you can't make money at anything on the internet because everyone expects everything for free" to "kickstarter / patreon / stream subscriptions are a huge thing" happen? I can't put my finger on it.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

When did the cultural shift from "you can't make money at anything on the internet because everyone expects everything for free" to "kickstarter / patreon / stream subscriptions are a huge thing" happen? I can't put my finger on it.

I think it was around 2010. Probably.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Entropic posted:

It still is free, inasmuch as one isn't required to pay to access the content. We now have means for people to opt into paying, usually with added incentives like bonus content or physical goods.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
What was it that made that viable though? Paypal going mainstream? I remember webcomics and stuff having donation links and not making any money whatsoever at it. Seems like somehow in the last 5 years or so, that kind of thing suddenly became viable.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
I guess people cutting cable now have money to throw at other stupid things instead of saving it. If you have to beg for money to be a "professional" magic player, you should really be trying to get a real job and have a CCG hobby. If you make enough for it to be your profession having fundraisers seems unseemly.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Entropic posted:

Much like MODO, you are perpetually 5 years behind, grampa.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Toshimo posted:

Much like MODO, you are perpetually 5 years behind, grampa.

Calling MODO five years behind is pretty generous.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Count Bleck posted:

Pretty much. I've been wanting to do Abzan so I'll probably pick them up, there are some fairly solid cards in White to be had in that pack which is also something that's nice.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
The Prerelease cards for Khans were all either watermarked cards of the clan you chose or heavily related to the clan you chose. I assume the same will be true here.

I expect at least 1 of either Grandmaster or Mentor to be a possible Jeskai promo. The Khans are pretty obvious ones, same with the Dragons, possibly the Sieges too. That leaves 3 slots per clan since apparently each clan has 6 possible promos.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
KTK pre release I went Mardu and got Crackling Doom as my promo which I rode to a 1st place finish along with all the removal ever. Planning on doing the same at the FRF pre release.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Cernunnos posted:

The Prerelease cards for Khans were all either watermarked cards of the clan you chose or heavily related to the clan you chose. I assume the same will be true here.

That promo Trail of Mystery made me feel pretty Temur, that's for sure.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Chamale posted:

Zendikar was the best selling set ever at the time, then Scars of Mirrodin, then Innistrad, then Return to Ravnica, then Theros. A lot of this is driven by the increase in Magic players, but also from existing Magic players spending more money every year. Magic's popularity is a gradual rise punctuated with occasional sudden declines. They don't like to share their sales numbers, but if I remember correctly the sets that precipitated major declines were Homelands, Urza block, Mirrodin block, and Time Spiral block. There hasn't been a collapse since 2007, so this is Magic's longest ever run of continuous popularity.

Yeah, but the price of lots of rares are being driven down by fetchland prices. They are pushing the Rhinos, Mantis Riders, and Crackling Dooms of the world to 3-5 dollar levels, even when they are played in lots of decks. Unlike, say, Theros, where the lands could be had at pretty cheap prices (except for JOU ones.)

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Calling MODO five years behind is pretty generous.

Considering MODO at it's best was 12 years ago, it seems pretty accurate.

redux
Apr 23, 2008
Little bit behind on the modern chat, but just wanted to give some perspective as someone who has been playing Jund-type or GBx decks for the better part of the last year online. (yes, the one your grandad told you about)

The current Junk list that plays 4 Rhinos is actually extremely well positioned against most of the field right now, at least through my experience in dailies. The delver decks are not just a favorable matchup, they are nearly impossible to lose, and siege rhino is a big part of that. Their deck is so poorly positioned against yours it feels like every threat you cast is a 2 for 1 already, which takes a lot of the edge off of treasure cruise.

The one deck that is the bane of your existence though is definitely pod, which is understandably rather unfortunate given the current state of the metagame. I've been trying a lot of different sideboard configurations but nothing really swings the matchup into your favor like anger of the gods did back in the day.

Hoping that BBE gets unbanned to maybe allow Jund to come back with anger for pod. I think the metagame is fine if there are no bans, but I wouldn't hate to see pod go for obviously selfish reasons.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I don't play Modern, but why is Chrome Mox banned? It seems like the card disadvantage keeps it from being that overpowered an effect

redux
Apr 23, 2008

goferchan posted:

I don't play Modern, but why is Chrome Mox banned? It seems like the card disadvantage keeps it from being that overpowered an effect

Two mana on turn one has the potential to be very busted, especially because unlike Simian Spirit Guide it persists to provide more mana after.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

goferchan posted:

Too fast mana. From the original Modern introduction articles in 2011:

quote:

Chrome Mox is an extremely powerful fast-mana card. Some of the most powerful starts in the Extended format that began with Mirrodin involved a first-turn Chrome Mox into Dark Confidant or Bitterblossom, and these starts could be extremely difficult to come back from. Furthermore, Chrome Mox would likely be an important piece of acceleration for any degenerate combination decks. We felt that Chrome Mox would add too much speed to the format, as well as make opening hands matter too much.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

redux posted:

Little bit behind on the modern chat, but just wanted to give some perspective as someone who has been playing Jund-type or GBx decks for the better part of the last year online. (yes, the one your grandad told you about)

The current Junk list that plays 4 Rhinos is actually extremely well positioned against most of the field right now, at least through my experience in dailies. The delver decks are not just a favorable matchup, they are nearly impossible to lose, and siege rhino is a big part of that. Their deck is so poorly positioned against yours it feels like every threat you cast is a 2 for 1 already, which takes a lot of the edge off of treasure cruise.

The one deck that is the bane of your existence though is definitely pod, which is understandably rather unfortunate given the current state of the metagame. I've been trying a lot of different sideboard configurations but nothing really swings the matchup into your favor like anger of the gods did back in the day.

Hoping that BBE gets unbanned to maybe allow Jund to come back with anger for pod. I think the metagame is fine if there are no bans, but I wouldn't hate to see pod go for obviously selfish reasons.

The reason Pod is super popular now (obviously it was popular before, but its starting to occupy a huge part of the meta) is very much related to its favorable matchup against Delver. A Cruise ban might help diversify the meta more than just people not playing Delver.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jan 13, 2015

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master
Are you allowed to look at your own face-down manifested stuff? I've seen a lot of conversations with contradictory implications.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

redstormpopcorn posted:

Are you allowed to look at your own face-down manifested stuff? I've seen a lot of conversations with contradictory implications.

Awfully hard to 'turn it face up for it's converted mana cost' if you don't know what that is.

redstormpopcorn
Jun 10, 2007
Aurora Master

Count Bleck posted:

Awfully hard to 'turn it face up for it's converted mana cost' if you don't know what that is.
Right, I've seen someone assume that you'd have to use Lens of Clarity or scry it beforehand, or it'd still be "hidden knowledge" coming straight from the library. Pretty sure that's not the case.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

redstormpopcorn posted:

Right, I've seen someone assume that you'd have to use Lens of Clarity or scry it beforehand, or it'd still be "hidden knowledge" coming straight from the library. Pretty sure that's not the case.

Definitely not the case.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Toshimo posted:

I guess what I'm getting at is that it's super sad Magic streamers don't make this much full time so that we'd have a near-constant buffet of watchable streams like other games. I wonder why that is....

MODO Sucks

It doesn't help that no one really streams(ed, now) on a regular basis aside from Bahra (rip) during US' morning and Europe's early afternoon, darkest mage for a while there, and now Kenji. Kenji makes decent money because he's on most days, but pretty much everyone hates the poo poo because it's unplayable and doesn't make money unless you're streaming most days.

Entropic posted:

Probably some time around the second or so wave of LoL streamers. The first wave was all CLG/TSM (first wave pros) who got better deals on Own3d because they propped up the website in the first place, and then some time in like 2009-2011 more people who were actually entertaining and merely good started popping up and realized they could just put a link to their paypal account in the stream info.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

B&R predictions

Modern: JTMS, and possibly BBE Unbanned. Reasoning behind this is the price of MM2 being raised with the only hype card being shown so far being Emrakul. There must be something pretty big being reprinted aside from something as cheap as Emrakul that would drive the price up. It could also just be another Tarmogoyf reprinting but that seems fairly unlikely.

Legacy: No changes or Earthcraft and Survival of the Fittest unbanned. Both combos now seem to have more than enough answers to them and would probably only impact the meta in a positive way. Specifically, earthcraft would make enchantress actually competitive.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

Partial Octopus posted:

It could also just be another Tarmogoyf reprinting but that seems fairly unlikely.

I think they'll reprint goyf etc.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
There is absolutely zero chance they unban JtMS in modern, that would be terrible. There's tons of other modern legal money cards they could reprint in MM2 without needing to unban something. The packs are a higher price because they know people are going to buy them and they're going to print more than they did with MM1. I think they're very aware of what players want reprinted and don't think reprints of goyf, heirarch, etc. are out of the question.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Partial Octopus posted:

B&R predictions

Modern: JTMS, and possibly BBE Unbanned. Reasoning behind this is the price of MM2 being raised with the only hype card being shown so far being Emrakul. There must be something pretty big being reprinted aside from something as cheap as Emrakul that would drive the price up. It could also just be another Tarmogoyf reprinting but that seems fairly unlikely.

Legacy: No changes or Earthcraft and Survival of the Fittest unbanned. Both combos now seem to have more than enough answers to them and would probably only impact the meta in a positive way. Specifically, earthcraft would make enchantress actually competitive.

I highly doubt JTMS will ever be unbanned. It's still too format-warping. For MM2 they're just going to reprint Goyf, Dark Confidant, Hierarch, LotV, etc. to drive sales.

I'd be first in line to get Survival unbanned, not because I have any opinion on its power level, but just because I want to play with it. Unban Oath of Druids while you're at it so my playset doesn't languish in my folder collecting dust.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

JTMS has a repeatable Brainstorm effect. REPEATABLE. BRAINSTORM. It will never be in modern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm hoping for a Vendilion Clique reprint in MMA2 so I can play U/W Flash in Vintage, assuming it's still any good by the time that set's out. Dig Through Time has been a big help for that deck.

• Locked thread