Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
"From Mountains and the Sea. A Great Green Land arises."

Release the Cascadia! :krakken:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

mod sassinator posted:

"From Mountains and the Sea. A Great Green Land arises."

Release the Cascadia! :krakken:

̶̷̵̵̡͇͔͖͓̞̤̳̫͙̣̦̫̩̯͖͎̎̋ͭ͌̏̾͂ͭ̈́͋ͩͦ͂͗̃̃C̶̛̗͉̜̲̯̰̯̭͖̻̹͍͚͇͕̲̜̿̒̃̍̓ͧ͆̾ͩ̈̓̑̈̔͛̕͢͟ͅą̵̵̨̫͈̞̥̙̳̦͍͎̟̝̬͓͇̼ͬ̉ͣ̿̄͂͂ͬ͝sͫ̋͂̅͒͏̘̗̖͇̩̬͙̼͇̝͙̫̥͙͚͙̺ç̷̴̗̤̬͙͈̮͖̯̦̘͊͑͒ͪ̈̆̊̍͆̊̉̊̓͑̏͑̈́̕â̒͐͊͆̂͌̅̌ͣ͋̍̍ͤͥ̄ͥ̓͏̜̞̖͕̰͓̳̩̩̦͇̪̩͘d̢̲͕̜̼̗̓̾̄̿ͬ͒̏ͧ̒̓͋̓͛̉́į̸͙͔̬̜͍̭̪̠̱͚͉̯̯͈͉̬͇͋ͥ͗͋͒̋͆͊ͫ͌̍͢͠à̛ͩ̋ͥ̉͆̾ͪ̈̋̌ͬ̽̃ͮ̚҉͖̞̲͓̮̘̩͔̙̖̖̭͕ͅ ̎ͯ͛̄́̎͆̇̋̈͑͛̈́ͤ̀҉̷̛͈̜͙̩͙̰͕̼̝̺͎̼̞f̸̸̨͇͓̦͍̣̻̯̩̗͔͖͖͉̘͉̪̦̅ͮ̂͆͌̇͂ͧ̚̚͜͞ͅh̛̘̳̭̮̭̺̠͈̹̠̱͓̘̖̘͔̯̯̟͐́̈́̄̑̆ͩ́̂ͧ͛̍̓̔̕t̶̬͙̹̥̫͓̲̭̼̺̪͇̲ͨ̽ͯ̅̒̽ͥ͌̍ͨ͒̕̕͟ą̩̲̤̤̉̀̽̍ͨ͗̚͞ͅg̶̢̠̫̲̰̘̼̳̖̬͖͕͚̙͕̲̓ͩ͛̈́͌̓̊͒ͩ̾̓̆̚̕͝ͅņ͔̘̣̦̥͋̇̄̈̓̽̌ͮ̔ͨ̕͘͡!̶̧̺̪͉̘͔̳̃̓̋̄̆ͫ̿͊́ͣͣͪ

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Cascadia would be so beautiful.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Jack2142 posted:

Cascadia would be so beautiful.

Get rid of the worst side on both states, SIGN ME UP!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Convert the west coasts of Washington and Oregon into one state, implement a progressive income tax, halt the Bertha project, implement light rail from Seattle to Portland (with stops at Tacoma & Olympia), and call it a day.

(this would be very bad since it gives Republicans 2 more senate votes based on the creation of the other new state, the blob of Eastern WA and OR)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
let them join idaho, there's no way they'd survive on their own.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

BraveUlysses posted:

there's no way they'd survive on their own.

Won't be our problem anymore :smug:

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Will be once we kill all your fish.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

seiferguy posted:

Convert the west coasts of Washington and Oregon into one state, implement a progressive income tax, halt the Bertha project, implement light rail from Seattle to Portland (with stops at Tacoma & Olympia), and call it a day.

(this would be very bad since it gives Republicans 2 more senate votes based on the creation of the other new state, the blob of Eastern WA and OR)

Light rail needs to continue at least as far south as Eugene. Really, we should have TGV-type trains from San Francisco to Seattle, but that just makes too much sense.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Light rail needs to continue at least as far south as Eugene. Really, we should have TGV-type trains from San Francisco to Seattle, but that just makes too much sense.
Why would anyone in Portland or Seattle want to go to Eugene?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'd actually use transit from down here to Portland if it didn't cost as much as the gas to drive myself (gently caress you greyhound)

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
Light rail is meant for transit within a city, not between cities. :spergin:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Hedera Helix posted:

Light rail is meant for transit within a city, not between cities. :spergin:

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

With cascadia we could finally be free of the scourge of fluoridated water.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Javid posted:

I'd actually use transit from down here to Portland if it didn't cost as much as the gas to drive myself (gently caress you greyhound)
Bolt Bus, yo.

Best Friends posted:

With cascadia we could finally be free of the scourge of fluoridated water.
We could do an exchange of our anti-vaxxers for Portland' anti-flouridaters.

And if the buses carrying just happened to all collide... well, that would be a horrible, unavoidable tragedy.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

anthonypants posted:

Why would anyone in Portland or Seattle want to go to Eugene?

There's some sort of sports team there that is very popular? People like to go down there for games? Also, having high speed rail to and from larger cities seems like it would open up a lot of commuting options.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

We could do an exchange of our anti-vaxxers for Portland' anti-flouridaters.

And if the buses carrying just happened to all collide... well, that would be a horrible, unavoidable tragedy.

What a waste of good buses.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
That's OK, we can build more in the newly socialized Boeing facilities.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
^Truly, the worst idea yet

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
WA State senate Republicans used a simple majority to pass a requirement for a supermajority for new taxes, aka the same crap Tim Eyman keeps trying to pass but gets blocked by the WA Supreme Court.

I hate this state's treatment of taxes.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I love, love, love the idea of a big long 200mph+ rail line stretching up and down the west coast (and preferably having a terminus in Vancouver BC rather than Seattle), but that leg between Eugene and San Francisco just seems killer long, especially when it would have to cross the Siskiyous.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

seiferguy posted:

WA State senate Republicans used a simple majority to pass a requirement for a supermajority for new taxes, aka the same crap Tim Eyman keeps trying to pass but gets blocked by the WA Supreme Court.

I hate this state's treatment of taxes.

Why don't you use the money you're saving on taxes to buy what ever it was you expected the government to handout to you via robbing other people? Just start your own private mass transit initiative or what ever service you want.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I love, love, love the idea of a big long 200mph+ rail line stretching up and down the west coast (and preferably having a terminus in Vancouver BC rather than Seattle), but that leg between Eugene and San Francisco just seems killer long, especially when it would have to cross the Siskiyous.

Obviously it would stop at the border, right on the coast (on the CA side for booze buying opportunities on your way north).

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

This would actually be kind of cool, but we all know that any project like that would get about a mile of work done on it before whatever machine building it would encounter technical problems, environmental problems, or ancient first nations burial grounds (or all three at the same time).

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

BraveUlysses posted:

let them join idaho, there's no way they'd survive on their own.

You're understating the Federal lands investment or the purchasing power of hydro-electric and agriculture production. Even assuming the worst reasonable split for them, east of the Cascades will do just fine for themselves.

Javid posted:

Greyhound's niche is people without cars, and is priced accordingly. Welcome to the free market.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of rail, Amtrak is legitimately nice, especially if you spend the extra for a Business Class seat. The problem is that Amtrak doesn't own any of the rail lines out here, so they'll "pull over" to let freight trains pass. Last I checked, it even goes from Seattle to San Diego.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

anthonypants posted:

Speaking of rail, Amtrak is legitimately nice, especially if you spend the extra for a Business Class seat. The problem is that Amtrak doesn't own any of the rail lines out here, so they'll "pull over" to let freight trains pass. Last I checked, it even goes from Seattle to San Diego.

I actually have an Amtrak thread in T&T!

Delays don't seem to be a big problem for the Amtrak Cascades (Vancouver-Eugene), it seems to be more of a problem on the Amtrak overnight trains. Amtrak Cascades also runs often enough that you don't have to plan for it: you can basically show up at the train station an hour before and you will probably get a train. The Coast Starlight (Seattle-L.A.) is less forgiving.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

anthonypants posted:

The route Amtrak's website gives me for Seattle to San Diego is more expensive than a plane ticket, and over 10 times longer (32 hours versus 3).

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

anthonypants posted:

My understanding is that if Amtrak is running on schedule, the passenger train has priority over freight.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Most Amtrak routes aren't practical for long-distances, Eugene to Seattle is sort of stretching it while Portland to Seattle makes more sense. I rather seem increased marginal improvements and new public owned track at congested points than anything else. One thing Amtrak has going over very short flights, it is easier and faster to get to a train station to the airport (coupled with all the hoops you need to go through at a airport usually).

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

My understanding is that if Amtrak is running on schedule, the passenger train has priority over freight.

Yes, but when the train is delayed for some other reason (weather, mechanical failure, medical emergency) then loses its schedule, and doesn't have priority anymore. This is more of a problem on long-distance routes, though.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Ardennes posted:

Most Amtrak routes aren't practical for long-distances, Eugene to Seattle is sort of stretching it while Portland to Seattle makes more sense. I rather seem increased marginal improvements and new public owned track at congested points than anything else. One thing Amtrak has going over very short flights, it is easier and faster to get to a train station to the airport (coupled with all the hoops you need to go through at a airport usually).

I took Amtrak a lot between Salem and Eugene, and it was awesome. Fast, civilized, and calm. Cheaper than Greyhound, and actually cheaper than the taxi I had to take from the train station home.

Eugene to Portland works, too, but I haven't done that one more than once, so have less of an opinion there.

Did take Amtrak from Eugene to San Francisco once, and it turned into something from a Sartre play. It took over 24 hours, but luckily it was in my drinking days so I just hung out in the bar car and smoked and drank. I cancelled my return ticket and just flew back, because I actually needed to be home in an expected time frame.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
Apparently Washington has a glut of marijuana and growers are not happy:

http://www.chron.com/news/us/article/Growers-struggle-with-glut-of-legal-pot-in-6019507.php

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Not a big surprise when you can count on one hand how many legal stores are open in Seattle.

Uncle Ikes is great by the way, good prices and a really nice store. Wayyyyyyyy better than Cannabis City IMHO.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
Kind of funny news:

The Mayor of Missoula is being criticized because he included bariatric surgeries in the health plan, surgeries that he himself is eligible for.

http://missoulian.com/news/local/ci...51177b3f94.html

This is also kind of funny because in general, Missoula is a really fit city.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

In Victoria we have a store called "The Dank Bank" and it has a strong bank-like logo.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mod sassinator posted:

Not a big surprise when you can count on one hand how many legal stores are open in Seattle.

Uncle Ikes is great by the way, good prices and a really nice store. Wayyyyyyyy better than Cannabis City IMHO.

How many are open in Seattle now? There's like three in the Olympia/Lacey/Tumwater area and it seems like too many to me. I've only been in 420 Carpenter and Green Lady. Green Lady is set up weird where they only let one person in at a time, but they have way more reasonable prices than 420 carpenter(things are about on average half as expensive). But they do seem to carry slightly different brands. I like that prices are coming down, I'm sure over time and once something happens with medical marijuana things will start evening out.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
As far as I know two for the entire Seattle area. There are a couple on the eastside too, but they are terrible and have insane prices (the one in Bellevue was $25+/gram).

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

mod sassinator posted:

As far as I know two for the entire Seattle area. There are a couple on the eastside too, but they are terrible and have insane prices (the one in Bellevue was $25+/gram).

There are two in Bellevue now, and I think one up in Bothell. Prices at Green Theory in downtown Bellevue were really high, but they've been dropping, and they'll price match if you want to go through that hassle. The other one that's a little further away from downtown opened a couple months later and definitely has better prices. I can never remember the name of that place though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug

tk posted:

There are two in Bellevue now, and I think one up in Bothell. Prices at Green Theory in downtown Bellevue were really high, but they've been dropping, and they'll price match if you want to go through that hassle. The other one that's a little further away from downtown opened a couple months later and definitely has better prices. I can never remember the name of that place though.

The Novel Tree is the one that just opened. Can confirm good prices and super helpful and friendly staff.

• Locked thread