Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrainBot
Aug 18, 2012
Please continue. Every time I get an email from GMT it seems to be pushed further down the reprint list and I get a little sadder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Yeah, getting more updates would be cool, I really like to see how the missions pan out.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

BrainBot posted:

Please continue. Every time I get an email from GMT it seems to be pushed further down the reprint list and I get a little sadder.

Speaking of which, Gallic War has dropped off the list (was in the nebulous 2Q/3Q 2015).. Second-hand info from BGG says it got bumped for more testing.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

rchandra posted:

Speaking of which, Gallic War has dropped off the list (was in the nebulous 2Q/3Q 2015).. Second-hand info from BGG says it got bumped for more testing.

Yeah, they responded to my Facebook comment by saying this:

quote:

No big problem here, just quality control efforts. Volko and I decided Liberty or Death will be next in the COIN queue, to allow time for proper testing of Gallic War.

To be fair, I am pretty excited for LOD, moreso than GW.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Liberty or Death to me feels like it's not quite gonna fit nicely in the COIN mechanics, Gallic War sounded a little more natural. I'm gonna keep an eye on it but I'm not sure how well it's gonna work. (Also none of the above are Ireland, GMT! :argh:)

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I'm not gonna get LoD unless it somehow ends up being the best game to date. The theme kind of bores me honestly, guess I'm a Benedict Arnold :v:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I'm not gonna get LoD unless it somehow ends up being the best game to date. The theme kind of bores me honestly, guess I'm a Benedict Arnold :v:

I'm with you. I've half checked out of future COIN games until they do Ireland. The next few are just not for me I guess. If I want an American Rev game or a Gallic war game, I won't have a lack of options.

How many COIN games do I really need though? I feel like three or four is my upper limit anyway. There are so many excellent systems modeling so many different conflicts that I haven't played yet, I can't promise my shelf space to just one engine.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 11, 2015

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Gallic War actually looks like a fun spin on the COIN formula but I just don't think the mechanics are a good fit for the Revolutionary War, unless there's a massive overhaul of the way the game works.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

The constant jerking off to the founders in America makes me generally not want to play anything related to the revolution.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Lord Frisk posted:

I'm with you. I've half checked out of future COIN games until they do Ireland. The next few are just not for me I guess. If I want an American Rev game or a Gallic war game, I won't have a lack of options.

How many COIN games do I really need though? I feel like three or four is my upper limit anyway. There are so many excellent systems modeling so many different conflicts that I haven't played yet, I can't promise my shelf space to just one engine.

I don't see the appeal of Ireland.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Panzeh posted:

I don't see the appeal of Ireland.

It's a conflict I'm interested in, so I want to see how it works in a COIN scaffold.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Just found out that the reprint of Empire of the Sun is going to include extra cards/player aids/rules for a solo play AI - separated in early/middle/late game rules for both sides, so you can play either side solo during any part of the game.

I just went over to the P500 page so fast my mouse exploded.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
You guys ready for some more fun??? I blurred out the background some so that hopefully it's a little easier on the eyes.

FIELDS OF FIRE
NORMANDY CAMPAIGN
MISSION 1: TREVIERES

TURN 2

When we last left our intrepid Company, things were looking dire for the expeditionary squads. Had they known what else lied in wait for them, the plans to take Trevieres would have been very different indeed.

NOTE: I totally forgot to put Exposed markers on my moving units this turn. Whoops. But, since there was enough death and destruction this turn already, I'm not going to bother re-playing it and re-drawing all the combat. I'll just play it as it lies.

3.1 Friendly HQ Phase - Didn't draw an HQ marker, so nothing happens.

3.3.1b CO HQ Activation - Drew a 4, but since we're in Contact with the enemy now, we no longer get the +1 for No Contact, and only get the -1 for being a Green unit. Net APs is 3. I use one to activate 1st PLT, one to activate 2nd PLT, and bank the last one, bringing my Saved Points up to 3 (the maximum that a Green unit can save).

3.3.1c PLT HQ Activation
1st PLT (drew net 3 APs, have 1 saved) - I spent 2 APs to do a full platoon move into the Farm due north. This looked like a good defensible spot, and the incoming mortar fire next to it will be ending after this turn, so I'll have two adjacent cards to take on whatever shows up. Then I spent another AP to have the HQ unit search for cover... drew all the cards, and got no cover marker. I really don't want to lose my HQ, so I used my last (saved) point to "exhort", meaning I get to draw a single card extra on the previous action. I found cover! Now I get to draw again to see if it's normal +1 cover or a strong building +3 cover, since I'm in an urban area. Per the charts, in Normandy a 1 through 3 is Strong Building, 4 through 5 is normal cover. A 3! Strong Building! The HQ unit is in good shape now.

2nd PLT (drew net 3 APs, have 3 saved) - Again, I'm going to use 2 APs to do a full platoon move for the same reason. I'm heading NE to the Hedgerow/Bocage. I'll use my last drawn point to search for cover, which I didn't find. I'm not going to exhort this time because I have more pressing matters - whereas the ARTY spotter is leaving after this turn (he only gets two fire missions), the LMG nest isn't going anywhere, I need to focus on him. I'm going to spend 1 saved point to spot the unspotted LMG nest. I draw two cards and look for the crosshairs symbol. Got it! So now we open up from two adjacent cards, which happens automatically when units are seen by other units who aren't firing. The enemy gets a -1 VOF for automatic weapons, and since fire is coming from two different directions, the card gets a -1 Crossfire VOF. Awesome. But I think I can do better. I'm going to spend my 2nd saved point to attempt to concentrate fire with my LMG. Draw two cards... no crosshair. Shucks. I have one more saved point, I'm going to exhort. No crosshair. Shucks. Still an okay situation.

3.3.2b PLT HQ Initiative - 3rd PLT is the only one that didn't activate before, so I draw for initiative. He gets 1 net point, and I don't have anything I want to do with them, so I'm banking it. They have 3 saved APs now.

3.3.2c CO Staff Initiative - Again, nothing I want to do with them, so I bank their 1 AP each that they get. They're now up to 2 saved APs each.

3.3.2d General Initiative

I draw a straight-up 0. God drat it. SIGH. Hope things go well for me in the combat phase.

3.4.1 Enemy Higher HQ Phase

I DID draw an HQ marker this time, so now I draw a random #/10 and got a ... 9. Let's see what that is. "Counter Attack: Place a random PC Marker (? side up) on every US occupied card" uggggggghhhhhh seriously?! Are we in Normandy or loving Vietnam?! Okay, so, I already have PC markers in two of the cards that are occupied, so I don't think I add to them. I'm going to add two ? PC markers to the two occupied cards that don't have them.

3.4.2 Enemy Activity
1/MTR in Row 2, Col 1 - Mortar teams have special rules, and don't use the random draw tables that other units do. Their rule is, if they have fire missions left, they draw cards to see if it succeeds, and then they place it per the rules in the rule book. I draw a burst symbol, so I place another fire mission in the same spot as before. The unit is now down to 0 fire missions, so it is removed, the PDF from him is cleared, but the fire mission markers remain until they're resolved.

1/LMG TM in R2C4

The mission briefing lists the enemy's position as "deliberate", so I use the Deliberate Enemy table to see what he does. I go down the list until I find the situation he's in, and roll on that table. First one that applies is "under fire from a different direction that its own PDF". Draw a random #/4, and got a ... 4. "Shift Fire", so now the LMG decides to focus its fire on the card South of it, instead of SW of it. Not too bad.

3.7.1a Update Fire Missions - Simply remove "Incoming" markers, and flip over any "Pending Fire Mission" markers to their Incoming side. So now I still have an Incoming marker in R1C2.

3.7.1b Evaluate PC Markers - This is going to be a doozy. I have 4 markers to evaluate, 2 of which I don't even know the severity of. So, let's flip the PC markers. Going across the board, we now have C, B, B, C. We evaluate in alphabetical order, so we do the Bs first. And pull a random #/2 to determine which is resolved first. #2. Okay.

B #2 - Drew Contact. Drew a 2, then a 3. Incoming mortars, front at max LOS. Haha, okay, great. More mortars. I place an "Incoming" marker on my units, and a covered unspotted spotter in front of them. Placed a PDF to remind myself where the fire is coming from.

B #1 - Drew Contact. Drew a 2, then a 10. Incoming mortars, right front at max LOS - for gently caress's sake. Well, I already have another unit with a PDF in that card, so I pick another direction. 8, left front at max LOS. Same deal as before - but since I already have an incoming marker, the two would be redundant, so I just leave the one that's there (in combat, I would only use the lower of the two VOFs, which is -4 vs -3). I do put the 2/MTR under cover and unspotted, with a PDF toward me.

Okay, on to the Cs. Random #/2: 2. Doing 2nd C first.

C #2 - Drew Contact, seriously?? Drew a 5, then a 9. Incoming mortars, right front at max LOS - I can't do that, since both mortar teams are on the board, so I redraw. 6. Sniper. SIGH. Okay then, Place a sniper at front right, which I have to draw another terrain card for. He's under cover, unspotted, and firing a special "Sniper" VOF at my units. Only one is targeted, which is the HQ (then would be the unit with the most steps, then random).

C #1 - This isn't fun anymore. Drew Contact. Drew a 7, then an 8. LMG nest, left front at max LOS. Simple enough, LMG team in a foxhole, unspotted, and firing at me. We know the drill by now.

Wow, we're in a doozy of a situation, so let's resolve all this combat. Here's where we are going into combat...

3.7.2 Combat Effects
I'll start at the top with the German unit in R2C4 (German 1/LMG TM) - the net combat modifier is a 0 (+1 foxholes, +1 terrain, -1 automatic fire, -1 crossfire). Drew a "miss". I can't catch a break this game.

Moving on to row 1, column 1, and each unit on that card.
1/WPNS(MG): +1 NCM, drew a "Pin"
1/WPNS(BAZ): +1 NCM, drew a "Pin"
1st PLT HQ: +4 NCM (thank god for the strong building), drew a "Miss"
2/1st PLT: +1, drew a "Miss"
3/1st PLT: +1, drew a "Miss"
That could have gone a LOT worse.

Row 1, Column 2. I just have 2 fire teams and a casualty here. Basically just checking to see if my fire teams die.
Fire Team 1: -1 NCM (+2 terrain, +1 cover, -4 artillery), drew a "Hit", then an "A". Changing him to an Assault Team would actually be an improvement, so that doesn't happen.
Fire Team 2: -1 NCM, "Hit", "P". Unit is changed to a "Paralyzed" unit, that can literally do nothing, but could attempt to Rally next turn.
Hit units are automatically Pinned, so that's added as well.

Row 1, Column 3.
1/2nd PLT: 0 NCM (+2 terrain, +1 cover, -3 mortars), "Pin"
Dodged a bullet there.

Row 1, Column 4. I should not have moved my whole PLT up there. Only the HQ gets the -3 Sniper VOF, the rest get the -1 automatic fire VOF.
2/WPNS(MG): +1 NCM, "Hit", "L" - reduce the unit by one step and add a Litter Team. MG team is eliminated!
2/WPNS(BAZ): +1 NCM, "Pin"
2nd PLT HQ: -1 NCM, "Pin" (PHEW)
2/2nd PLT: +1 NCM, "Pin"
3/2nd PLT: +1 NCM, "Miss"
All things considered, not too bad.

3.8 Cleanup Phase
This is normally when I would remove exposed markers, which is exactly when I realized I didn't use them. As I mentioned earlier, I'm just going to keep playing as it is, so that I wouldn't have wasted an hour playing our the turn :)

We have a hell of an uphill battle to fight here. I might just have to wait out the mortar fire before trying anything.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 12, 2015

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
The Germans have brought ALL the mortars. :supaburn:

Do you get a bonus trying to spot mortars? I don't know remember if they count as generating heavy VoF for that.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Lord Frisk posted:

What are some Gallic war games?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Smoking Crow posted:

What are some Gallic war games?

Command & Colors Ancients covers it, Caesars Gallic War for sure. I'm not an expert on the topic, but a cursory Google gave me those two without doing any real digging.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I introduced a friend of mine to twilight struggle yesterday. He really wanted to play USSR so after a bit of talk about how the USSR tends to manage the tempo of the game using defcon we got started. I think was moving toward late war win as the US as I had dominated europe for 2 scoring rounds to his domination of asia and africa, and held him to 0 VP. Asia, Africa and Europe were all stranded in the discard pile until the late game reshuffle, and I was set up to either dominate or control both central and south america contingent on my attempt to realign him and fidel out of cuba. Then on turn 5 I headlined duck and cover to cut him off from trying to coup me in south america and he headlined olympic games for some reason leaving me with a very empty-feeling victory.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

If it's a first play just have a do-over.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Lord Frisk posted:

Command & Colors Ancients covers it, Caesars Gallic War for sure. I'm not an expert on the topic, but a cursory Google gave me those two without doing any real digging.

There are a lot of games about battles in the gallic wars but there are very few games about the wars themselves.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Panzeh posted:

There are a lot of games about battles in the gallic wars but there are very few games about the wars themselves.

We just need a good high-level strategic game about the time period.

Unconditional Surrender! The Gallic Wars 58BC - 50BC

Come on Sal Vasta, I know you have it in you... Right after you do US!:World War II in the Pacific

sigh...

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Speaking of which, what is there that's good for 20th-century naval stuff (WW1, WW2, hell, even the Falklands) nowadays?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So seeing as "A World at War" is at a pretty good reduced price, is it worth the buy even considering I might only be able to ever get solo games going? Also, do they have any Scenario Packs that bundle several together?

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So seeing as "A World at War" is at a pretty good reduced price, is it worth the buy even considering I might only be able to ever get solo games going? Also, do they have any Scenario Packs that bundle several together?

All I know about AWaW is that it's Third Reich derivative so I'm guessing that it's bad, just buy Totaler Krieg(or Unconditional Surrender) instead.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Obfuscation posted:

All I know about AWaW is that it's Third Reich derivative so I'm guessing that it's bad, just buy Totaler Krieg(or Unconditional Surrender) instead.

Hmmm, seems like USE is better for solitaire play, thanks for the recommendation. Now to track down a physical copy!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Hmmm, seems like USE is better for solitaire play, thanks for the recommendation. Now to track down a physical copy!

USE is awesome for solitaire play, and can be found pretty cheap since it's still relatively new.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
I just found out that the head of the Swedish Academy (the Nobel Prize people) has designed several hex and counter wargames.

Wargames: Literally Art

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Anyone have experience playing the Warfighter card game by DVG? I know it's not a true war game per say, but you guys are the crowd that would have actually played it and I'm trying to find out if it's a game I'd like :v:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Anyone have experience playing the Warfighter card game by DVG? I know it's not a true war game per say, but you guys are the crowd that would have actually played it and I'm trying to find out if it's a game I'd like :v:

My opinions usually line up so perfectly with Marco Arnaudo's, that I tend to take his opinion as gospel when it comes to finding new games.

Here's his review, it also made it into his top 10 of 2014, so I've been dying to play it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehm-tB7prGw

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

COOL CORN posted:

My opinions usually line up so perfectly with Marco Arnaudo's, that I tend to take his opinion as gospel when it comes to finding new games.

Serious question: did he ever not like a wargame?

I like him for providing good overviews of what the games look like, though.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I remember one review where he was kind of cool on the game but I can't remember what it was.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I was going to buy the kickstarter but someone here said it probably wasn't the crazy $120 price. I would still like to try it one day.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Wargames tend to really love the NATO symbols, to the point of overuse - wasn't there a series that used NATO symbols for Roman legionnaires? Every once in a while, when there is no need for finer distinctions than infantry and armor, the historical German symbols are used in WWII games for flavor. That led me to thinking: are there any wargames using the Soviet/Warsaw Pact symbology? The only game that I can recall doing that is Combat Mission: Afghanistan, but that doesn't count, because it's a PC game.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Ilthe and I played another couple of games of Up Front tonight. We played Scenario B, City Fight. You get some higher morale men than the meeting engagement, more SMGs instead of rifles, and one satchel charge. In Up Front VPs are calculated by multiplying the number of men you have by the range chit values they are at. In City Fight, only men in buildings count. Of course you also get points for killing or capturing men (among other things) or you can just win by forcing surrender.

We aborted the first game because the deck seemed oddly shuffled again and I committed a major gaffe from misunderstanding the flanking rules. I essentially vacated my excellent position with my men in buildings at high value range, which crippled my board position. I would have, at best, prolonged the game.

The second game was more amusing. Ilthe decided (in both games) to put one morale 5 man (the highest morale) in his own group with the satchel charge and basically run him forward. The satchel charge is such a threat up close that this forced me to shoot at him mostly to the exclusion of the two other groups that could actually harm me at range. After several nail-biting turns of the satchel charge man failing to infiltrate my group I finally killed him with two stacked fire cards and then drew into a slew of other high value fire cards and mopped up quickly. The position of the board at the end doesn't really describe how close it was since I narrowly avoided some high powered fire attacks several times throughout the game.

Screenshot of the end of the second game.

We're also doing a PBEM of Twilight Struggle which is pretty fun.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
The Up Front game was pretty drat close and there were a couple times where if either of us hadn't had a weapon misfire things would have gone a lot differently. That and I lost my assistant squad leader on the third or fourth turn when a lucky fire roll put a bullet through his head. At the end I had two very good fire cards with just not enough fire power to get them to go off because I was either short a man or I had a weapon jam. That being said, I got ridiculously lucky with movement cards and drawing almost all of the building cards in the first go-through of the deck so it evens out. There were either three or four failed infiltrations with that satchel charge. Lesson here, don't try to infiltrate by running down a hill (the best terrain at the worst time).

All in all, I'm not really a fan of the shared-deck aspect because over half the games we play have the same problem - one player draws all of the movement and the other guy sits around twiddling his thumbs. Still a fun game though.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Fields of Fire
Normandy
Mission 1 - Trevieres
Turn 3

I actually didn't take many screenshots this time because not a whole lot of movement happened. But, I vowed to actually AAR this whole mission so here we go...

As a reminder, this is our situation going into turn 3.

3.1 Friendly HQ Phase - didn't draw an HQ symbol.

3.3.1b CO HQ Activation Phase - drew a 3, get -1 due to the unit being Green, so he gets 2 action points. Activating 1st and 2nd platoons.

3.3.1c PLT HQ Activation Phase -
1st PLT HQ: drew a 4, Green unit, 3 net action points. Spend one to attempt to spot the 2/LMG TM. The target is under cover so I get -1 card draw. BUT, it's an automatic weapon team, so I get +1. Therefore, I draw two cards and look for the crosshair symbol. No luck. Spend one point to exhort and draw another card. Still no luck. Spend one point to try and rally my LMG team and remove the pinned marker. Success! No saved points, so 1st is done.
2nd PLT HQ: drew a 5, Green unit, 4 net action points. Attempt to spot the sniper - snipers get a hella bonus to being spotted, so I only draw one card. loving GOT HIM! Snipers are tricky. The moment they're spotted, they move back one card; if that moves them off the map, they're removed completely. Luckily for me, moving the sniper back would move him off the map, so he's gone... for now. Remove the VOF and PDF he had. Spending one point to try and concentrate fire at the 1/LMG TM, and succeeded in that. My luck is turning around. Banking the last 2 points.

3.3.2b PLT HQ Initiative Phase - only 3rd PLT wasn't activated, so draw for it's initiative. Drew a straight-up 0.

3.3.2c CO Staff Initiative Phase - banking one point each, nothing I want to do with them yet. Too hectic out there.

3.3.2d General Initiative Phase - I drew a 4! No modifiers to that, I just get 4 free points to spend however I want.
Spending 1 to move my 1/WPNS(LMG) team under the existing cover, with the HQ unit.
Spending 1 to attempt to rally my 1/WPNS(BAZ) team. Success!
Spending 1 to attempt to find cover with my 2nd PLT HQ unit. Success!
Spending 1 to attempt to spot the LMG team with the 2/1st SQD. Success!

Well that was an eventful initiative!

3.4.1 Enemy HQ Event - drew an HQ symbol. Ugh. Luckily, rolled a 1 on that and the event is "Evacuate Casualties". No casualties on their side yet, so nothing happens. I will say that my butthole tightened a little bit because I didn't want to be peppered with Potential Contacts again.

3.4.2 Enemy Actions
The 1/MTR and 2/MTR both call down fire again, into the same spot as an existing VOF. That's their last one, so they leave the map. Added "pending fire mission" counters to the two places where there were mortar blasts already.
The 2/LMG TM rolls on the "Trading Fire with Equal NCMs" table. I rolled "Grenade (Concentrate Fire)." They don't have grenades, so I attempt to concentrate fire by drawing two cards and checking for crosshairs. A failure! How's it feel, Fritz?!
1/LMG TM rolls on the "Fire coming from a direction other than the target" table again, and rolls shift fire again, so it shifts back to the other card.

3.7.1a Update Fire Missions - just removed the current explosions, and flipped the "pending" counters over to their explosion side.

3.7.2 Combat -
Row 2 Column -1 (2/LMG TM) - +2 Net Combat Modifier, drew a "Pin". I can live with that.

R2 C4 (1/LMG TM) - 0 NCM, drew a "Hit", then a "C" - the unit becomes a casualty! The first German casualty of the battle!

R1 C1 -- 1/WPNS(BAZ) has a +1 NCM, gets hit, turns into a Litter Team. 2/1st SQ has a +1 NCM, gets Pinned. 3/1st SQ has a +1 NCM, gets Pinned. 1/WPNS(LMG) has a +4 NCM, and is Missed. 1st PLT HQ has a +4 and gets HIT! And turns into a Fire Team. gently caress everything. I'm actually not sure if I replace him with a fire team or just flip him to his fire team side. Hm.

R1 C2 -- Fire Team has a +1 NCM, gets Pinned again. Paralyzed has a +1 NCM, gets Missed.

R1 C3 -- 1/2nd SQ has a -1 NCM, gets Pinned.

3.8 Cleanup - nobody moved, so not a lot to do here. Removed the concentrated fire marker.

So, a bunch of combat happened, but not a lot else. Just some minor things here and there. Here's where we are. Hopefully Turn 4 will be more eventful!

Our situation at the end of turn 3.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jan 15, 2015

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
I haven't had the chance to play any real grognardy war games, but with the traditional hex and counter games, how is die rolling for combat handled? Will bad luck ruin your day or are there a lot of ways to mitigate it?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Zombie #246 posted:

I haven't had the chance to play any real grognardy war games, but with the traditional hex and counter games, how is die rolling for combat handled? Will bad luck ruin your day or are there a lot of ways to mitigate it?

Definitely varies by game, but a lot have die roll modifiers that help you strategize your combat. E.g. DRMs for tanks vs. infantry, DRMs for different terrain types, etc.

So, obviously there is some luck involved because of dice, but with the good games you can mitigate that randomness by playing well.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.

Zombie #246 posted:

There is commonly a combat resolution table, or CRT, where you compare the attacking and defending forces and use either the difference or the quotient to select which column to roll against:

Note for example, that in this CRT +0 gives 3/6 chance of a DW or better; +1 gives 4/6; and +3 gives 5/6.

Note also that there is a variety of possible outcomes, rather than the simple "damage dealt" that is inherent in the bucket-of-dice model.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I was thinking about how I would kind of like to see a COIN game dealing with the American occupation of Iraq, but I sort of realized that it would be too similar to A Distant Plain. The COIN factions would have the exact same goals, you could have the Iraqi resistance who want control of the country themselves and the Al Queda/Foreign Fighters faction which would be opposed to the US who seek to raise opposition in order to bring people "to the light" of their religious ideology and opposition to The West. But well it would just be A Distant Plain without the Pakistan tracker (maybe replaced with a Syrian one?) Though maybe we'd get to see one about the latest dust up in Iraq and Syria. You could have the government forces be split into the governments of Syria and Iraq who want control but cannot work together. Maybe troops and police assigned to that side of the border have to stay there until they are killed and returned to the general pool. ISIS, who in a Fire In The Lake way can have troop cubes representing their use of captured Syrian tanks and Iraqi weapons are about control. You could have the Free Syrian Army who are after support from the population, and I'm not sure about how to do maybe the Kurds, since ideally they would want control of spaces to carve out their own country. It's probably a bad idea and wouldn't work but well it might be worth a thought even if it could be extremely controversial. It was hard enough getting ADP to the table with people who like Cuba Libre because they knew people who were currently deployed in Afghanistan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Dre2Dee2 posted:

I found it pretty bad. I've played the base game twice, once solo and once 2 player, both with the suggested starting mission and locale, and at no point did I feel like there were interesting decisions to make or that cool things were happening.

The "board" that you traverse to your mission target is literally a straight line. The enemy tactics are just "advance into range and keep shooting." They also just appear out of thin air.There's not really any positioning, so no flanking, etc. There's "stealth," but it consists entirely of a special action card that can be performed with certain "stealth" weapons and is just an instant kill, I believe. The level of abstraction feels screwy: your soldiers are complex enough that you're tracking magazines and individuals grenades and reloading, yet the fighting consists entirely of "pick gun, roll dice". The terrain should be a big important deal but isn't. Pretty much everything about the action cards feels superfluous.

I keep trying to write more, but it all just ends up making GBS threads all over it, and I don't want to do that because of how it feels like I'm missing something. Maybe because it was a little expensive. :saddowns:

ThisIsNoZaku fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jan 18, 2015