Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Kin posted:

anyone that hasn't encountered most of this hasn't really gotten far enough into the game for it to trigger.

Has literally never happened to me.

The only bug I've ever encountered was one time where Arno got stuck climbing a tower and I had to fast travel out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

CheGayvara posted:

Go back the last few pages and the people who joined as friends on uplay. If they accept you will see them. I have the same bug otherwise I would write everyones' usernames and post them. You will still get club prizes but might have trouble starting co-ops with other club members.

I'll add you on uplay tonight (in about 20 hours or so hopefully) when I finally come back online after a pretty trying week.

Thank you, it does seem to work.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Daily Forecast posted:

Has literally never happened to me.

The only bug I've ever encountered was one time where Arno got stuck climbing a tower and I had to fast travel out of it.

Then congratulations on being anecdotally exceptional, i guess. :shrug:

edit: and wasting 88 hours on a fairly average game.

Kin fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 10, 2015

CheGayvara
Oct 30, 2010
Kin is right, that weird freeze has to do with texture popping. I have a GTX770 as well with a rather old CPU but I play with at least 50fps with AA on msaax2, shadows on ssao and everything else on max. Unfortunately ubisoft decided to neglect a draw distance option so when I turn up AA everything further than 20 metres away looks like playdough. I'm not sure what FXAA's deal is because I get the crappy draw distance but good frame rate and Nvidia seems to think it is the best AA (or at least the best trade off between quality and performance). Either it is poorly optimised through porting or Nvidia still has some kinks to work out. I'm betting on the former.

I must say though that out of all the assassin's creed games this is actually not the worst port for me, but I did buy it a month or so after release. AC2 was unplayable for me until I found out how to enable triple buffering through third party programmes (I was still a baby pubbie), AC3 and 4 ran well on release and looked better than Unity in my opinion, although they had less building textures to worry about and AC4 had the benefit of being set in one of the most beautiful places in the world. Not that Paris isn't beautiful, but Ubi's version looks a little washed out to me.

Edit: Try the triple buffering thing and disable vsync if you have craptacular frame rates either through your card's control panel or a programme like riva tuner. I have upgraded my card since AC2 obviously so I don;t need to do it anymore but that might do the trick depending on your PC configuration.

CheGayvara fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 11, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Kin posted:

and wasting 88 hours on a fairly average game.
Playing video games, pffffh, what a nerd. :rolleyes:

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

Applied to the PC club as thabaka.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Far Cry 4, Watch Dogs and this all have freezing/stuttering issues related to texture streaming on PC. Ubisoft's engines are a mess (much like their games right? :downs:)

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

For those on PC, is the crowd popping just as bad as the ps4? I'm talking constant switching models awkwardly switching (red dresses to green dresses to male suited NPC models) all over the place along with near-constant characters just popping into existence.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Narcissus1916 posted:

For those on PC, is the crowd popping just as bad as the ps4? I'm talking constant switching models awkwardly switching (red dresses to green dresses to male suited NPC models) all over the place along with near-constant characters just popping into existence.

Your Animus is broken :downs:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I don't get the freeze bug but I have a high-end PC so that may be a factor.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I picked this up on PS4 after the most recent patch, and haven't really been noticing many performance problems. Did the patch improve things a lot, or do I just have low standards? The frame rate definitely isn't super smooth, but it's perfectly playable for me. Getting it cheap and with lowered expectations probably helped as well I guess.

My main issues with it are the terrible storytelling (it's really bad at telling the story of the revolution, you never really get much of an idea about what's going on with the politics, unlike the Ezio games with the Borgia stuff) and the lack of innovation in gameplay (really is just a bog standard AC game). Also Arno is not interesting, really wish Elise was the main character instead.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
So are the Nostradamus Engimas supposed to be this impossible and dumb, or am I just being impossibly stupid?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

The White Dragon posted:

So are the Nostradamus Engimas supposed to be this impossible and dumb, or am I just being impossibly stupid?

Which ones are you having issues with.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

The White Dragon posted:

The one in the observatory is stupid hard.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Skoll posted:

The one in the observatory is stupid hard.

I too wonder where I am supposed to go to find people who are observing stars.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I have been playing Unity for a little while now and it's both my favorite and least favorite game in the series.

Great city, probably the best they've done yet. The climbing is so much more fluid and running across the rooftops feels better than it ever has. I even like the combat better - I know some people hate it, but I feel it's much more suited to actually being an assassin, rather than some kind of swashbuckler who can take on an entire army at once.

But the story is still awful, and even worse they throw all this garbage in there like chests everywhere that bug you to install a "companion app" and co-op only missions that never seem to connect. I have also seen the slowdown and a few other random bugs.

It's really frustrating how they can improve the series in many ways and yet still gently caress it all up at the same time.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

ayn rand hand job posted:

I too wonder where I am supposed to go to find people who are observing stars.

:thejoke:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ayn rand hand job posted:

Which ones are you having issues with.

I just said gently caress it and started using walkthroughs after the second one I did (it took me twenty minutes of aimlessly wandering around Palais du Justice until I found that stupid clock face), but seriously I don't want to need to use Wikipedia to find out where the Street of Whores is and poo poo. I'm not trying to get my new detective rank in Carmen Sandiego, I just wanna jump off roofs and shank some motherfuckers.

I like the puzzles after you get the Nostradamus fragments because they kinda remind me of the glyph poo poo in AC2, but the whole "easter egg hunt" part I could do without.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 12, 2015

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Earwicker posted:

both my favorite and least favorite game in the series.
It's really frustrating how they can improve the series in many ways and yet still gently caress it all up at the same time.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel about this game. It does so many things right!

And yet there's microtransactions and companion app poo poo that nobody cares about, and this is probably the weakest AC story to date. I didn't feel like I 'knew' any of the characters and they were all just running around doing stuff that made no sense. The murder mysterious were so hyped up but they were mostly just retarded and made no sense (like the barber of seville one, how the gently caress was I supposed to know it was that guy? Literally all the evidence pointed at one, but before I accused him I looked it up, and when I accused the 'right' guy he started confessing to how he did it and it was just so out of left field and how the gently caress was I supposed to figure ANY of this out?) and locking most of the high level gear behind this club competition nonsense is just loving tedious. I mean, I feel like Ubisoft expected people to be playing this game for years, but there's, like, literally no reason to unless you just REALLY have to collect all of the beans around the map and unlock all the gear because you have something seriously wrong with your brain.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Just started playing this since it seems to be patched as well as it's going to be. Controls feel kind of slow and clunky compared to Blag Flag but maybe I'm misremembering how that one played. Did they get rid of the whistle? I can't figure out how to lure enemies away from their positions without simply getting them to come after me.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

J-Spot posted:

Just started playing this since it seems to be patched as well as it's going to be. Controls feel kind of slow and clunky compared to Blag Flag but maybe I'm misremembering how that one played. Did they get rid of the whistle? I can't figure out how to lure enemies away from their positions without simply getting them to come after me.

They did! I guess because whistling in Paris is impolite or something?

What I usually do is get out of cover and round the corner long enough for the guy's indicator to turn red, then quickly duck back around the corner, and he'll come to investigate my little ghost thing.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Maybe Arno is just one of those people who can't whistle.

But yeah they want you to use cherry bombs to lure guards now.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

It's one of many things where they took something out and replaced it with something that's less useful and not any more fun to use, which is basically the theme of the game.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Earwicker posted:

and co-op only missions that never seem to connect.
You can solo co-op missions. Just choose to play privately and they'll start right up.

Soloing those missions is one of the things I like most about the game. The five star ones especially are really the only time I've ever felt fully challenged and forced to make use of all of my skills and abilities while playing the game. Or any game in the series, really.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Lack of whistle really sucks. Been playing through the game- trying to force myself through it, anyway. I really enjoy the story and atmosphere, actually. The addition of a button specific to sneaking is sometimes nice too, although the situations it's used in are often absolutely ridiculous and shouldn't work ever. I also like that I can (usually) perform controlled descents. It's just everything else I hate.

I hate all of the content locked behind Initiates and Companion bullshit. I hate that all of the game's equipment is locked behind missions and really expensive prices. I hate the new battle system and the fact that I can press the O button perfectly, yet still get my rear end kicked by parry not going through. I hate that when I try to parkour up and down places that I would have had no trouble adjusting to in previous AC games, I end up locked in place because the game won't even try to let me jump, trying to protect me from even its own dumb gameplay. I hate that whistle is gone. God I don't know where to go on here, this game is such a disappointment. I think the biggest thing I hate is that I allowed Ubisoft to do this to me again after AC3. Then Black Flag was so great that I forgave them, and this happens.

ubisoft why. you HAD this poo poo.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
I wish Unity had a thousand more chests of different access levels making GBS threads up the map. Maybe a game of only chests that first have to be unlocked on two other devices.

KramFoot
Sep 25, 2011
Make it three devices and add chests that open only when the moon is full. No doubt Ubi is already implementing this into the next game as we speak!
Also apologies to the goon club I'm in, not been on a lot because work is calling and I can't do a lot of all nighters to play with you guys unfortunately. But if any UK goons feel like joining the GBGO club, I should be on most nights ready for a co-op fest of stabbing unsuspecting Frenchmen.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Say what you want, but it's still fun as gently caress sailing somewhere far as hell and taking down every single ship you come across for massive profits in AC4

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Calaveron posted:

Say what you want, but it's still fun as gently caress sailing somewhere far as hell and taking down every single ship you come across for massive profits in AC4

Oh, definitely. I think I'm going to pick up Rogue when it goes down in price, since I hear that that game is still fairly good in comparison to Unity? Not sure I'll like the plot, but the gameplay sounds solid, and it would be nice to see AC take another shot at 1700s New York... and maybe get it right.

So, another thing that's loving bullshit: not being able to to use human shields anymore. I hated this feature in AC3 because it never worked, but then it became fantastic in AC4. Now it, like whistling, is just magically gone to add more difficulty to the battle system. The thing is, enemy guns in this game are cheap as hell since they're so hard to dodge otherwise.

Was just playing online on PS4 and some guy joined my game. We did well enough until the game glitched out, preventing us from looting our target and thereby progressing. We even made it out of that gigantic bush maze during the mission we were on. Speaking of that, I hope whoever thought to add that into the game gets punched. :argh:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The Grimace posted:

Oh, definitely. I think I'm going to pick up Rogue when it goes down in price, since I hear that that game is still fairly good in comparison to Unity?
Rogue is a more polished version of Black Flag. It's really better in every way although a tiny bit smaller. At the same time it feels like Black Flag 1.5 so much that you must really crave the exact same game or you'll feel overfed.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

The Grimace posted:

Oh, definitely. I think I'm going to pick up Rogue when it goes down in price, since I hear that that game is still fairly good in comparison to Unity? Not sure I'll like the plot, but the gameplay sounds solid, and it would be nice to see AC take another shot at 1700s New York... and maybe get it right.

1700s New York just isn't a terribly interesting city, it was pretty much just a collection of low wooden buildings. Mid-1800's New York would be another story however..

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

The Grimace posted:

So, another thing that's loving bullshit: not being able to to use human shields anymore. I hated this feature in AC3 because it never worked, but then it became fantastic in AC4. Now it, like whistling, is just magically gone to add more difficulty to the battle system. The thing is, enemy guns in this game are cheap as hell since they're so hard to dodge otherwise.
Well, if they didn't do this, then you wouldn't need to be constantly taking Medicine. (Press X to buy Premium Medicine from the Playstation Store.)

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

1. Buy Rogue
2. New York sucks
3. Medicine is dumb as poo poo

Yeah, all of that sounds pretty right. Thanks for the info, all.

Why yes kind maiden, I would love to help you reclaim your house from your awful neighbors who killed your parents! Let me just draw my sword so I can help to train you, that you may become big and strong and...

oh... oh...

I didn't mean to slice your throat, honest. I just wanted to draw my sword! Well, you're still talking, so this is a good thing!

You're not... actually going to move from that position, are you. gently caress.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
where is the free dlc ubisoft

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

TailsButtholeGuy posted:

The new dlc is going to be a new skill called level 4 lockpicking, comes with 5 chests (contains 100-1000 monies) scattered around Paris that you can open with this skill and an option to pay $9.99 to increase that to 15 chests.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

TailsButtholeGuy posted:

Don't know if its out on PC yet but here's console links.

PS4
Xbox One

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

macnbc posted:

Don't know if its out on PC yet but here's console links.

PS4
Xbox One

seems to be out if you have it on uplay but the steam people are poo poo outta luck so far

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I'm probably gonna knock out the Dead Kings stuff tonight and apply to GBG0 to play the new co-op stuff.

PSN: kinjirotadokoro

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
wheres the dlc ubisoft

you said there would be dlc today ubisoft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

hiddenriverninja posted:

I'm probably gonna knock out the Dead Kings stuff tonight and apply to GBG0 to play the new co-op stuff.

PSN: kinjirotadokoro

Fair warning for those wanting to play tonight: It's an 8GB download. (At least on PS4)

Also there's PSN issues this evening. Joy!

• Locked thread