Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

TARDISman posted:

Has Pawlenty even shown any interest in running yet?

I hope Pawlenty runs, because if he does it means we get more movie trailers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfkNEq1XioE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

"The Cuomo Effect"? What does he have to do with it besides losing to Pataki in 1994?

Stronger candidates sitting out an election where an incumbent president of the opposite party is running for re-election because a) they perceive said President as too strong, b) they expect a weaker candidate in the next election, or c) both. Named for Governor Mario Cuomo, who was considered THE Democratic frontrunner in '92 until he stepped out in the wake of Bush's post-Gulf War high.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The guy who made that went on to work for Rick Perry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EL5Atp_vF0

And Mitt Romney.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-sVpts43jI

And Mitch McConnell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB41EISrpHQ

Something tells me we haven't seen the last of Lucas Baiano's work.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

TARDISman posted:

Has Pawlenty even shown any interest in running yet?

Can anybody stay awake long enough to tell whether he's interested in something?

[edit] wow in that video his voice is kind-of reminiscent of the Xtra-Normal voice (which is also the announcement voice on the St. Louis Metro, which cracks me up whenever I'm there).

[edit] ha ha "something different in their voice, in their words" welp yes there sure as gently caress is "black president"

emfive fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 13, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Romney's 2016 campaign is going to focus on fighting poverty and foreign policy.

:getin:, just :getin: so hard.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...1ced_story.html

Romney is "reassembling his campaign apparatus". So I guess this is really happening? Awesome.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Wake me up when #RomneyDeathRally2 is trending

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Joementum posted:

I am so loving in

There was a month there where the Republicans seemed like they were going to get their poo poo together. God bless you Mitt Romney. God bless us, everyone.

:angel:

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I want an Its-happening.gif but with all hundred or so republican hopefuls in it

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Romney is "reassembling his campaign apparatus". So I guess this is really happening? Awesome.

Oh my god he really is the dumbest motherfucker on earth.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
God I hope this causes all the others to start openly announcing so we can get debates started before the end of Q2 2015.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Joementum posted:

Romney's 2016 campaign is going to focus on fighting poverty and foreign policy.

This time he cares about the 47%

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Oh my god he really is the dumbest motherfucker on earth.

Maybe he is the smartest motherfucker on earth and he actually cares about saving humanity but realized he can only do that by uniting everyone against a common enemy with his vast wealth.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Cigar Aficionado posted:

The article has been updated now with a fantastic specimen of John McCain not giving a gently caress any more.

quote:

“I don’t know, man, it’s a free country,” McCain said of a possible Romney campaign in 2016. “I thought there was no education in the second kick of a mule. . . . I respect his judgment, he’s a strong leader.”

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

God I hope this causes all the others to start openly announcing so we can get debates started before the end of Q2 2015.

Me too. Fingers crossed that Christie, Paul, Cruz, and the three stooges of Santorum, Huckabee, and Perry all jump in. They all seem more or less like they'll all run except maybe Cruz at this point. The only way Christie doesn't run is if there's dirt on him.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
He traveled time for the future of mankind but no one in the gop wanted him. they just turned their heads.

now the time is here
for iron man to spread fear
vengeance from the campaign trail
smears the candidates he once surveiled

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Joementum posted:

The article has been updated now with a fantastic specimen of John McCain not giving a gently caress any more.

:allears: I'm loving post-2008 McCain

Lunchabully
Jul 20, 2003
Pillbug

Joementum posted:

“I don’t know, man, it’s a free country,” McCain said of a possible Romney campaign in 2016. “I thought there was no education in the second kick of a mule. . . . I respect his judgment, he’s a strong leader.”

12 days in and we already have the quote of the year right here.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Joementum posted:

Hahahahahaha This is gonna be a good year

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
This season may not be the utter and insane circus last one was, but I'm still seeing some glimmers of gold. If anything they may be even better than before if just because last election season things were so overloaded in absurd nonsense the genuine hilarity got lost.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

This season may not be the utter and insane circus last one was, but I'm still seeing some glimmers of gold. If anything they may be even better than before if just because last election season things were so overloaded in absurd nonsense the genuine hilarity got lost.

Yea probably nobody who's really nuts will run. That seems pretty likely.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Priebus is watching this as the vein in his temple throbs. If it kills him, there will not be another 2012.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Raskolnikov38 posted:

:allears: I'm loving post-2008 McCain

The best part is that he's calling a Republican a half-donkey.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Priebus is watching this as the vein in his temple throbs. If it kills him, there will not be another 2012.

The best-laid schemes o' Reince an' men
Gang aft agley,
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promis'd joy!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Courtesy of Nate Silver.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

It's inevitable. The Democrats have had their 8 years, it's the Republican's turn to be President. Most of them are not going to be able to resist running.

On the Democrat's side, Sanders is running, Warren's still out, and only Webb and O'Malley have made any moves at all. With Warren out, I can't see Hillary not cruising.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Courtesy of Nate Silver.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B0CyOAO8y0

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Uh, I don't think "Russia is our greatest geopolitical foe" works anymore, even if Putin has indeed proven to be an rear end in a top hat over Ukraine/Crimea.:v:

That would be because there's some guys over in the Middle East called ISIS/ISIL/daesh who really are horrifyingly evil monsters intent on killing anyone and everyone who doesn't subscribe completely to their hosed up belief system. ISIL also decided they wanted to provoke a war with the US, and the got what they wanted; we're now airstriking the loving out of ISIL to the tune of 27 airstrikes in the last 24 hours.

... I just remembered that Hillary is even more of a hawk than Obama. Romney is certainly not going to try go to her left of foreign policy, and trying to tack right would mean he'd have to use the dreaded I and B words (Invasion, and Boots on the ground). 2016 cannot get here fast enough.:stare::hf::getin:

Joementum posted:

John loving McCain posted:

“I don’t know, man, it’s a free country,” McCain said of a possible Romney campaign in 2016. “I thought there was no education in the second kick of a mule. ...I respect his judgment, he’s a strong leader.”
I repeat: 2016 cannot get here fast enough.:stare::hf::getin:

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

fade5 posted:

I repeat: 2016 cannot get here fast enough.:stare::hf::getin:

Nah, I really want to enjoy 2015 because most of the magical primary stuff will be this year. The actual election in 2016 is going to be interesting, but not as entertaining overall.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

shadow puppet of a posted:

I am thrilled at the prospect of typing 'Piyush' for a few months. Now that Mitt is back in itt, its a veritable dream team of bad candidates. This must be what a normal person feels like preceding a big college draft.

I am thrilled at the prospect of you getting run out of D&D again like you did last time after making a string of really obvious fake posts about how you were excited about Herman Cain and didn't understand why people didn't take his candidacy seriously.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 13, 2015

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I'm so happy right now. The primaries are going to be madness.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Joementum posted:

I still don't believe it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I love the permanent campaign.

I love the horserace.

I love US politics.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Paul Ryan and Margaret Warren are playing some real hardball with their secret campaigns for President.

Joementum posted:

Another wrinkle to consider: as part of the Veepstakes, Romney had potential running mates turn over records. So Mitt's got (binders full of) opposition research on Rubio and Pawlenty. Christie refused.

Are any of those binders worth even 91% of his other binders?

I'd feel bad for Rubio if he wasn't such a chode. Excomunicated from the cool kids table for dealing on immigration and then Jeb comes in and delivers a fundraising coup de grace to the back.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Naw if 2012 was the circus where they pulled out all the stops for pageantry 2016 is gonna be the one where there's like a mule with a traffic cone strapped to its head being called a unicorn and a haggard bear that's been performing for five years in a run down hovel and decides that today's the day he's not gonna loving dance anymore.

I leave it as an exercise to the reader as to who's who in the metaphor

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
how is the thread title not "Mitt Happens"?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Fried Chicken posted:

how is the thread title not "Mitt Happens"?

Gotta bank it for June 2016 and cross all your fingers.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

For some reason I just remembered the URL to this, and it's still up!

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The Second Romneyssiance would be a better title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Wasn't there a theory going around that Mitt would clean up his lone 2011 tax return and then file to amend the poo poo out of it after he lost? Can he re-amend that return now that he has decided to run again or will he delightfully refuse to release it and trot out a solitary, sparkling 2015 return instead?

• Locked thread