Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Rhycool posted:

This is absolutely filthy, in a terrific way. Definitely taking notes. :allears: Is that Ike pulling off some perfect pivots, or am I looking at it wrong?

This video was before perfect pivoting was discovered, so no. Aside from pivot grabs, Ryo isn't doing anything special. He just really knows his character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I never understood pivot grabs or how to use them. Are they just for if you're being chased, or is there a way to replace a normal grab with a pivot grab from neutral position facing forward?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Reiley posted:

I never understood pivot grabs or how to use them. Are they just for if you're being chased, or is there a way to replace a normal grab with a pivot grab from neutral position facing forward?

You get a different grab animation for standing grabs and dashing grabs, the animation length changes as does the reach of the grab. So some characters benefit from a "pivot" which allows you to do a standing grab even after a short dash. I think Donkey Kong for instance has a further range and faster recovery on his standing grab so it's optimal to always use a standing grab.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Reiley posted:

At any point in your dash, press the opposite direction and press the grab button, like a smash attack. The general benefit to a pivot grab is they are much safer than dash grabs (because you're running away while still grabbing toward them), but also because most characters have a noticeably larger pivot grab range than standing/dash grab range. In Brawl, King Dedede's pivot grab reached nearly past the Battlefield platforms.

Characters with tether grabs (Link, Samus) get the same range boost, but for whatever reason they're punished by having much worse cooldown, so most people just prefer their dash grab instead.

e: ^ that too, Donkey Kong's pivot grab is pretty much the best.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Oh okay, so its a dash away and a pivot towards the other guy, that makes sense. Thank you to you both !!

e: I have a hard time landing Pikachu's dashing grab so I've been using a shield grab to cancel a dash and that for whatever reason seems much more reliable, but I've never seen pivot grabs explained in a way that "clicks" until just now.

Reiley fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 13, 2015

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Dieting Hippo posted:

the only one that really needs custom moves no matter what is palutena, and that's because they picked the worst ones for default.

fight me

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

palutena is perfect and flawless the way she is. superspeed is a crutch for scrubs

edit: she's really pretty, as well

Ms. Unsmiley fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 13, 2015

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Dieting Hippo posted:

the only one that really needs custom moves no matter what is palutena, and that's because they picked the worst ones for default.

Her default set is boring but probably the most useful gameplay-wise. Reflect and Counter are more useful then anything else on those slots unless someone's found something interesting for Superspeed I haven't seen yet, and Warp is just a downright amazing recovery move. Auto-Reticle isn't that great but her other neutral B moves are not anything special either and A-R probably has more practical applications then Explosive Flame.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Ganondorf owns

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

respect your elders

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Get hyped for a Nintendo Direct tomorrow: https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/554895723133947905/photo/1

Majora's Mask and Splatoon release date? Dare I say... Star Fox footage???

E: Hours later I realize this is the wrong thread.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jan 13, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Amppelix posted:

Get hyped for a Nintendo Direct tomorrow: https://twitter.com/NintendoUK/status/554895723133947905/photo/1

Majora's Mask and Splatoon release date? Dare I say... Star Fox footage???

Or it might actually be a new Metroid game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
gently caress getting custom moves forever :negative:

Is there a trick to it in the Wii U version? I hate Smash Tour with a passion, but I've heard that it might be the best way?
Right now in Classic Mode I was lucky enough to get 3 new custom moves... All 3 were Sonic's "Burning Spin Dash" :suicide:

Also, I noticed something interesting in Trophy Rush; It seems there's actually a limit on how much you can get from it? I did the old DK trick, and after a while I started getting nothing but coins, going in a zig-zag pattern.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

there's no trick to getting custom moves. it's all luck and it's all bad.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Reiley posted:

I really want custom moves in an online pub match capacity, divorced from stat-boosting equipment. That would make actually picking a loadout and practicing with it actually meaningful. But if noplace but Friend Matches actually supports custom moves, they really may as well not be there. You just really need to lose the Equipment as well, or have a way to enforce equipment-free loadouts.

All I really want is Heavy Skull Bash. That's my only wish......

Yeah honestly they really should have done this. I know there will be a patch for the new level and tournament mode and I really hope they have something to do with Custom Moves as well.

I get the fear, that matchups change and you have even more to learn. Like I'm used to Mario's current fireball and when I played against someone using a custom one it kept tripping me up - but that's not really a bad thing. Having a loadout you switch in between matches based on how your opponent plays would be really cool and rewards knowing your character and their customs.

Also the entire interface for customs sucks and I can't see which ones I have unless I select each fighter individually

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I know there will be a patch for the new level and tournament mode

What's this about?

sharrrk posted:

Thought so :(

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Your Computer posted:

What's this about?

http://www.ssbwiki.com/Miiverse_%28stage%29

They're adding a stage and tournament mode for free because they couldn't get it into the game in time.

Also there's Mewtwo DLC coming later, so it's possible they make more paid DLC? Who knows

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

If they do paid dlc character skin packs I am a sucker and I will cough up money for that.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Reiley posted:

If they do paid dlc character skin packs I am a sucker and I will cough up money for that.

:agreed:

I think I've bought all the DLC Nintendo has given out so far (Mario Kart, Hyrule Warriors), and I hope to see more of it in other games. With patching and extra content added after release, it's starting to look like Nintendo realizes we're in 2015.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Your Computer posted:

:agreed:

I think I've bought all the DLC Nintendo has given out so far (Mario Kart, Hyrule Warriors), and I hope to see more of it in other games. With patching and extra content added after release, it's starting to look like Nintendo realizes we're in 2015.

The Fire Emblem DLC didn't seem worth it. They had a decent amount of free missions and characters they released online which was really cool but then they had more DLC than the price of the base game

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I liked the Fire Emblem DLC (yes I bought them all) because it gave a lot of funny writing which was a strength the game had that others didn't. You can safely ignore half the DLC though if you want solely more story stuff. The other half is mostly grind stuff and extra classes that don't really matter.

I get the fear, that matchups change and you have even more to learn. Like I'm used to Mario's current fireball and when I played against someone using a custom one it kept tripping me up - but that's not really a bad thing. Having a loadout you switch in between matches based on how your opponent plays would be really cool and rewards knowing your character and their customs.

The fear's unwarranted, there's been plenty of fighting games that basically change "moves," the most recent example will be Mortal Kombat X and possibly Street Fighter V. There's even a character in IV that changes movesets and supers/ultras on a whim. The majority opinion isn't that custom moves are bad, it's that it's a technical nightmare to have all the custom moves unlocked, make sure no one is wearing boosters, and have every Wii U have the same save file.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

sharrrk posted:

You definitely seem to get more for the character you're actually playing at the moment so once you've got all the moves unlocked for your mains it might behoove you to mess with other guys in singleplayer but yes it sucks bad

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

The Fire Emblem DLC didn't seem worth it. They had a decent amount of free missions and characters they released online which was really cool but then they had more DLC than the price of the base game

A lot of the Fire Emblem DLC was pretty quality, though. Some of it was junky power-leveling maps but then there was really good stuff like Future Past or the challenge pack.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Mr. Locke posted:

Her default set is boring but probably the most useful gameplay-wise. Reflect and Counter are more useful then anything else on those slots unless someone's found something interesting for Superspeed I haven't seen yet, and Warp is just a downright amazing recovery move. Auto-Reticle isn't that great but her other neutral B moves are not anything special either and A-R probably has more practical applications then Explosive Flame.

AR would be fine if it was more predictable, having a spacing tool that you know where its going to hit is far more useful then a spacing tool with way more range and homing that whiffs 50% of the time. Also look up some videos on Sonic as a character, Superspeed or Shulk with speed mode activated if you can't figure out why super-speed is technically better.

I've even seen some people use lightweight and super speed.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Lightweight owns.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Hey anyone who wants a gamecube adapter for not super ludicrous prices can now purchase a Mayflash one.

http://www.amazon.com/GameCube-Cont...amecube+adapter

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

RyokoTK posted:

A lot of the Fire Emblem DLC was pretty quality, though. Some of it was junky power-leveling maps but then there was really good stuff like Future Past or the challenge pack.

The bride class owned and the scramble maps were hilarious as hell.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Oh yeah I forgot about the scramble pack. Yeah those were really funny. It's pretty much only Lost Bloodlines and Smash Brethren that weren't very good.

(You kind of needed the power-leveling DLC if you wanted to take on Apotheosis.)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Even then the power leveling DLC stopped being useful after a while because your units would have so much built up internal levels that they literally cannot get more than 8 exp per kill. Lost Bloodlines 3 is secretly the power level DLC map because you can just park the unit you want to train (and Chrom) on a fortress somewhere, load them up on cheap multi-range weapons and just end turn a lot and you'll get like 4-8 levels guaranteed, depending on if you have the Paragon skill or not.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

ChaosArgate posted:

Even then the power leveling DLC stopped being useful after a while because your units would have so much built up internal levels that they literally cannot get more than 8 exp per kill. Lost Bloodlines 3 is secretly the power level DLC map because you can just park the unit you want to train (and Chrom) on a fortress somewhere, load them up on cheap multi-range weapons and just end turn a lot and you'll get like 4-8 levels guaranteed, depending on if you have the Paragon skill or not.

If you cared enough for apotheosis you already did crazy eugenics so everyone that could possibly have galeforce has galeforce, plus you did the most efficient leveling possible, so you probably won't have that issue. Only if you didn't plan for it from the start and are trying to recoup enough to do the crazy stupid dlc.

Edit: Or you just cheese the whole thing with 3 range snipers.

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013

Your Computer posted:

gently caress getting custom moves forever :negative:

Is there a trick to it in the Wii U version? I hate Smash Tour with a passion, but I've heard that it might be the best way?
Right now in Classic Mode I was lucky enough to get 3 new custom moves... All 3 were Sonic's "Burning Spin Dash" :suicide:

Also, I noticed something interesting in Trophy Rush; It seems there's actually a limit on how much you can get from it? I did the old DK trick, and after a while I started getting nothing but coins, going in a zig-zag pattern.

One of the easiest and quickest ways of getting custom moves for me is to go into Target Blast and pause as soon as it starts. If you see a target with a wrench symbol on it, then good. If you don't just press LR/LZ/Whatever button on your control is mapped to retry, and it'll reload everything so you can keep reloading until you get a layout with a wrench. I personally enjoy Target Blast anyway so it was much quicker than most of the other methods, but if you want something different then Crazy Orders is another good way of getting customs. Just pick fights that have the symbol of the character you want the moves for.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

shortspecialbus posted:

If you cared enough for apotheosis you already did crazy eugenics so everyone that could possibly have galeforce has galeforce, plus you did the most efficient leveling possible, so you probably won't have that issue. Only if you didn't plan for it from the start and are trying to recoup enough to do the crazy stupid dlc.

Edit: Or you just cheese the whole thing with 3 range snipers.

If you cared enough to do Apotheosis, look at your life choices and reconsider.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

RyokoTK posted:

If you cared enough to do Apotheosis, look at your life choices and reconsider.

Well, yes, that. I never played past the main story and all the worthwhile (read: funny writing) DLC's. Anyone who really cares about apotheosis should probably find a less stupid hobby.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I like Fire Emblem and I did Apotheosis and do not regret any of the hours I put into Awakening.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]

Kaubocks posted:

I like Fire Emblem and I did Apotheosis and do not regret any of the hours I put into Awakening.

get the gently caress out of here with your "enjoying video games" bullshit

(Awakening was great and so was all the DLC for it just for the dialogue)

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Awakening was really good.

Reksi
Sep 26, 2007

Reiley posted:

I will pay good money to be mecha-Ganondorf or Yoshi with a hat on. Hire me, Reggie

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Can someone confirm whether or not unlocking headgear in the WiiU version is tied to the character you're using? I use ROB almost exclusively, and I've just stopped unlocking new headgear. I'll keep getting multiples of hats I already have, but I'm talking 50+ repeated hats with nothing new. I use Crazy Orders for this kind of thing, and it's just not working anymore.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Reksi posted:

I will pay good money to be mecha-Ganondorf or Yoshi with a hat on. Hire me, Reggie

You going to be on tonight? Want to get some dorf mirror matches in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Reinanigans posted:

Can someone confirm whether or not unlocking headgear in the WiiU version is tied to the character you're using? I use ROB almost exclusively, and I've just stopped unlocking new headgear. I'll keep getting multiples of hats I already have, but I'm talking 50+ repeated hats with nothing new. I use Crazy Orders for this kind of thing, and it's just not working anymore.

It definitely was on 3DS, there was a whole big google doc spreadsheet of it, that I unfortunately didn't save the link to. If you can find the 3DS thread, it's somewhere in there.

• Locked thread