Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Smerdyakov posted:

Even if it's being handled badly, does this seem like part of a long term plan/ambition to create a totally parallel banking and credit system, or is this just typical Kremlin improvised state-organized theft? Or is it both?

It's more the former. The original goal was to prevent American payments companies from being able to shut off Russia in the event of sanctions (which, to be fair, makes sense).

They want to do what UnionPay did in China - create a domestic monopoly. Funny enough, UnionPay and China just lost a lawsuit in the WTO and will have to open the market for competition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Now that I'm done joking about those pictures...

In all seriousness, the woman was supposed to be here:
http://www.russianpost.ru/rp/filials/ru/home/okrug4/ufps?parentid=21
Whatever the picture was, it was taken down.

The earliest I can find the picture of the dude is on very recent VK page links, alongside the other two. In fact, I can only find it alongside the other two.

The baby scaring dude is from a while ago:
http://zubkoff.livejournal.com/2104272.html
http://d-russia.ru/maksim-parshin-uxodit-s-posta-zamestitelya-generalnogo-direktora-fgup-pochta-rossii.html

Fun trivia: My search for Кемеровской област on VK resulted in a heckuva lot of open randy gay sex discussion groups.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I've never worked for a tier 1 processor but I've been bumping around in payment processing and ecommerce for the last 10 years or so and that nationalisation programme is... well let's say ludicrously ambitious. It can take months just to set up a trusted inter-organization node and that's just hooking into the existing system, with very little work done in regards to signing authority, root accounts, transfer authority, etc. To spec out and completely implement a new system from scratch for March is completely сумасшедший. Who can issue cards? Are there capital requirements? Are there security requirements? Which network are they going to use?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Scaramouche posted:

I've never worked for a tier 1 processor but I've been bumping around in payment processing and ecommerce for the last 10 years or so and that nationalisation programme is... well let's say ludicrously ambitious. It can take months just to set up a trusted inter-organization node and that's just hooking into the existing system, with very little work done in regards to signing authority, root accounts, transfer authority, etc. To spec out and completely implement a new system from scratch for March is completely сумасшедший. Who can issue cards? Are there capital requirements? Are there security requirements? Which network are they going to use?

The answer is superior Russian Capitalism!

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

Scaramouche posted:

If they're shooting just for something that supports a model like the old "kerCHUNK machine" model, whereby everything is really processed as paper, then it's still completely insane but a little less so. The "live" online authorization system in the US is built on decades-old code (in some cases) and my perception from working with some larger card processors in the US is that making sure the antique code keeps working is a significant part of the job. Coming up with a whole new system in a couple months makes healthcare.gov seem like a sophomore programming assignment.

Then again I'd guess that expectations are intrinsically pretty low. What fraction of Russian commerce involves credit card payments? In the US I know it's pretty big but the US is kind-of an outlier based on some stuff I've seen.

Do Russian banks have or participate in some sort of ACH mechanism?

[edit] if the system doesn't work then it'll take no time for merchants to stop taking cards unless they're told they have to

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx_CUXrw7K8

Donetsk getting pounded again.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

The president of Azerbaijan and twitter diplomacy. :allears:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Fader Movitz posted:

The president of Azerbaijan and twitter diplomacy. :allears:

I would think it would only increase considering that Azerbaijan's entire economy more or less relies on oil and gas, and those are mostly off shore fields. Azerbaijan is pretty much completely off the radar outside the Caucasus themselves, but there is actually a question of what will happen to it at this point if they tear through their reserves.

The Azerbaijani Manat is pegged to the dollar, but it is unclear exactly what is going to happen to importers. Even if Manat is officially the same value it was in July 2014, who wants to be holding it?

Even compared to Russia, their economy is entirely undiversified and they have few international allies.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

emfive posted:

If they're shooting just for something that supports a model like the old "kerCHUNK machine" model, whereby everything is really processed as paper, then it's still completely insane but a little less so. The "live" online authorization system in the US is built on decades-old code (in some cases) and my perception from working with some larger card processors in the US is that making sure the antique code keeps working is a significant part of the job. Coming up with a whole new system in a couple months makes healthcare.gov seem like a sophomore programming assignment.

Then again I'd guess that expectations are intrinsically pretty low. What fraction of Russian commerce involves credit card payments? In the US I know it's pretty big but the US is kind-of an outlier based on some stuff I've seen.

Do Russian banks have or participate in some sort of ACH mechanism?

[edit] if the system doesn't work then it'll take no time for merchants to stop taking cards unless they're told they have to

A few clarifications:

1) About 15-20% of all Russian personal consumption expenditure is on cards (US is about 45-50% IIRC). That's not huge, but cards are especially critical in important industry segments like travel and communications.

2) Russia has no consumer check-writing capability. Russian "ACH" also does not work very well and is not supported by all banks. Essentially, if it's not by card, it's cash.

3) In the same law that mandates the use of the NPCS processing switch, a mandate for merchant acceptance of the upcoming NPCS brand was also introduced. Government monopoly at its finest!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Russian officials officially demand France explain why they haven't delivered the Mistral ship they ordered.

http://ria.ru/world/20150113/1042360149.html

quote:

Earlier, Russia sent a division of the Ministry of Defense of France, engaged in the supply of weapons abroad, the request to officially explain the reason for non-compliance agreement "Mistral".

French Defense Ministry is currently not ready to comment on Russia's request on the causes of failure agreements for the supply of helicopter "Mistral", told RIA Novosti agency.

"Right now we do not have any information on your issue. Maybe she will later," - said the representative of the Ministry of Defense.

As previously reported RIA Novosti senior representative of the Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation, Russia has sent a request to the DGA - French Defense Ministry unit responsible for supplying weapons abroad - to officially explain the reason for non-compliance agreement "Mistral". The representative FSMTC explained that Russia can not be guided by the oral statements of some politicians, even if he is the President of the country, so for further decisions will require a written explanation of the situation.

The contract for the supply of two helicopter was signed between the French company DCNS and "Rosoboronexport" in 2011. The contract value - 1.2 billion euros, is the largest agreement in the field of military-technical cooperation between the two countries.

The first ship - "Vladivostok" - had to go to Russia in 2014, the second - "Sevastopol" - in 2015. Against supply ships were the United States. In turn, in DCNS claimed that US sanctions can not prevent the construction and transmission of "Mistral". In mid-September 2014, France has threatened to suspend the supply of Russian helicopter, linking its decision to the crisis in Ukraine. Later Elysee

Palace spokesman said RIA Novosti that the delivery is not legally suspended president Francois Hollande only outlined his political position that he would not approve the transfer of the ship, if the situation does not improve in the Ukraine.

I get the impression the Russians are at the "strong letter to follow" point.

An alleged Charlie Hebdo conspirator was arrested in Bulgaria yesterday.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jan 13, 2015

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
The Control tower at Donetsk airport has collapsed.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
We've cracked 66 rubles to the dollar, and it's steady at 65+.

aw, man, that tower stood forever.

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words
It seems that a checkpoint near Volnovaha was attacked.
this :nws: [Basically reports are now that it's a bus that was hit by shells which tried to go through the post when the attack started. It is stated that it was full of civilians. Number vary from 10 to 19.]

And then it's this:

Rought translation: It's a statement/report that a checkpoint (near Volnovaha) was destroyed.

:negative:

VoltairePunk fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 13, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
gently caress.

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress.

gently caress.

:smithicide:

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

Just tuned in to watch a somewhat..imprecise barrage flash over 2/3's of the field of view of the camera. :catstare:

edit: Grad rocket attacks, maybe?

Neophyte fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 13, 2015

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
Yeah I think Donetsk airport might have been wiped off the map.

Edit: hard to say though since Ruptly has swapped feeds. The barrages might have missed.

MothraAttack fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 13, 2015

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBLcYbmUJ3A

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
loving christ

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Like fireworks, only gently caress. :smith:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Just days after Russia sent two totally-aid-honest convoys at once, and idiots in comments on Swiss news websites are still going on about how it's EUSSRNATOWEST who's responsible for the bloodshed.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
In Soviet Russia, ceasefire ends you.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, the notion that the ceasefire means anything beyond Ukraine won't go on the offensive is laughable. I guess they decided if they can't take the airport they'll pulverize it down to the foundations and beyond instead.

The fighting around Donetsk airport will make a hell of a history when there's time to record it all.

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

I expect movies to be made about it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sergiu64 posted:

I expect movies to be made about it.
Last Die Hard will be one hell of a movie. :suspense:

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

kalstrams posted:

Last Die Hard will be one hell of a movie. :suspense:

Lol, Bruce Willis goes to Ukraine and dodges Grad strikes for 2 hours?

Anyway, Ukrainian President's address on recent events:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg2M2zsXNvI

BrownMoses, the Ukrainians are saying that the story with the Civilian Bus is very similar to the one with MH17 in that Separatists were bragging on Twitter that they destroyed a checkpoint that the bus was coming through and then promptly deleted the Twitter entries once they found out that a civilian bus was hit, do you think you'll do an investigation on this event as well?

Sergiu64 fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 13, 2015

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
"Russian Humanitarian Convoy" is one hell of a euphemism.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

sparatuvs posted:

The Control tower at Donetsk airport has collapsed.

The local construction industry is sure to respond favorably to this brilliant stimulus plan.:suicide:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Smerdyakov posted:

The local construction industry is sure to respond favorably to this brilliant stimulus plan.:suicide:

The parable of the broken airport.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
They propably do, there is an angle on some intra DNR killings that some dudes started reconstruction work, got good at it, and didnt need others "protection" because they got guns.
Now said dudes apperantly disappeared from the public view at least.

In General though, I would suppose that "direct" "cleaning" of "no longer diserable elements" will remain the exception. Sending them to die against Kyiv will be the easier and thus more common option for the new authorities. In general, the authorities (whoever exactly they are) have been quite active in drastically sidelining the anti Oligarch aspects of the seperatists during the ceasefire.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Actually, I've been wondering about the general state of Ukrainian state finances. Nearly every week I've been hearing stories about the Government going broke but it just never seems to happen for some reason :confused:

Sergiu64
May 21, 2014

Friendly Tumour posted:

Actually, I've been wondering about the general state of Ukrainian state finances. Nearly every week I've been hearing stories about the Government going broke but it just never seems to happen for some reason :confused:

Well, the rampant inflation the Ukrainian Hrivna is experiencing suggests that they're printing money like there's no tomorrow. Plus all the loans they're getting.

Meanwhile report on the Airport from a Ukrainian source on FB:

"We fought them off.

It's impossible to know what's going to be happening in an hour. Or what's going to be happening tomorrow.

But for now, we fought them off. According to some sources, help has arrived. According to others, it was not significant. But the result is currently this: Russian artillery-men are continuing to go crazy, but burned out remnants of Russian soldiers are littering the killing ground around our defense positions. The numbers being named are different (according to Radio interceptions) - from 50 to 250 regular Russian soldiers are dead. That's only in the vicinity of the airport. The numbers for the whole area of ATO is not available yet.

There are promises of a "hot" night to come. Some of the territory is in fact lost. I don't know why the HQ is lying about that. It's lost. But this is nothing compared to what our warriors had to endure today. Tomorrow, fresh forces will be in the area of the Airport. Tomorrow, war will resume. But today, it seems, we have fought them off.

They'll eat dirt instead of getting the airport!
-Cyborgs...

More details on the battle will be available tomorrow morning on LIGA.net."

Sergiu64 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 13, 2015

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Friendly Tumour posted:

It's being kept afloat by Western loans. One good thing is that Russia doesn't have any serious leverages aside from the war, the gas deal has been signed and they can't threaten Ukraine with freezing. They've been making noise about some old 3 billion loan and wanting to 'call it in' prematurely just to gently caress with the Ukrainians. This is after Putin forgives billions of foreign debt left and right to brotherly nations like Cuba, North Korea, Ethiopia, Libya...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Somaen posted:

It's being kept afloat by Western loans. One good thing is that Russia doesn't have any serious leverages aside from the war, the gas deal has been signed and they can't threaten Ukraine with freezing. They've been making noise about some old 3 billion loan and wanting to 'call it in' prematurely just to gently caress with the Ukrainians. This is after Putin forgives billions of foreign debt left and right to brotherly nations like Cuba, North Korea, Ethiopia, Libya...

They do have a reason to call it prematurely: there is some sort of debt to GDP ratio clause that may be applicable. Of course Ukraine could reasonably claim multiple billions of damages from Russian aggression.... but since there are still economic links (including for gas, but not limited to them), they can't.... except maybe doing the Yukos lawsuit thing.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Sergiu64 posted:

Lol, Bruce Willis goes to Ukraine and dodges Grad strikes for 2 hours?

Anyway, Ukrainian President's address on recent events:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg2M2zsXNvI

BrownMoses, the Ukrainians are saying that the story with the Civilian Bus is very similar to the one with MH17 in that Separatists were bragging on Twitter that they destroyed a checkpoint that the bus was coming through and then promptly deleted the Twitter entries once they found out that a civilian bus was hit, do you think you'll do an investigation on this event as well?

Not gonna lie, the auto-caption for English for this video is loving hilarious.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

drat it's a good thing we managed to more or less talk our family into sending us most all their savings when this conflict first started brewing. They were worried about the bank transfer fees reducing their savings. Now it's all sitting safe in Canada making a solid 6-7% interest. They're going to come out way ahead in the end, if there's a ukraine left of course.

Also a lot of ex-soviet citizens seem really against investments of any sort. You squirrel your money in a lovely bank or literally just keep it under your bed or in a safe but sticking it in a really basic mutual fund is just crazy risky and should never be done. BUT if your cousin comes to you saying he has a hot tip and will double your money in a year you absolutely give all he asks for.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Baronjutter posted:

Also a lot of ex-soviet citizens seem really against investments of any sort. You squirrel your money in a lovely bank or literally just keep it under your bed or in a safe but sticking it in a really basic mutual fund is just crazy risky and should never be done. BUT if your cousin comes to you saying he has a hot tip and will double your money in a year you absolutely give all he asks for.

That mentality makes a lot of sense as a product of living in the soviet era, when abstract, general investment programs were worthless, but people around you were making huge amounts of money based on illicit insider deals.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.
The other reason was/is that personal investment wasnt exactly encouraged in the Soviet period. What happened to the "NEP-Men" (when the Soviets moved away from war communism post civil war) is also still remembered.
Later under Yelzin, you got looted outright, and under Putin you propably have to pay into a protection racket unless you are (currently) well connected.

While "Protection racket" is still better then "outright looting" or "enjoy the Gulag", it isnt exactly conductive to reinvestment.

There is also a game theory thing: Money you reinvest is money you do not have available if a competitor makes a move at you and you really need a lot of bribe money/lawyer money/hitman money right loving now. As this is known by the "players" of those game, being seen as reinvesting can actually make you more of a target since some competing group may think "Ah, he is investing, so we propably have more bribe money available then he does, lets move against him!".

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Sergiu64 posted:

Well, the rampant inflation the Ukrainian Hrivna is experiencing suggests that they're printing money like there's no tomorrow. Plus all the loans they're getting.

When you read what's happening in the second part of your post, "printing money like there's no tomorrow" might be right. An over-inflated Hryvnia beats no more Hryvnia.

If Russia's lost 50-250 regulars that's quite a bloody nose. Knowing the full casualty count for the battle of Donetsk would probably be quite shocking, but Russia's heavily invested in hiding those numbers. I presume they're still doing the "deny soldiers died in Ukraine, no benefits to next of kin, claim it was training accident" thing which is a huge gently caress you to Russia's own soldiers and people.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
To be fair, I recall reading about Duma passing some law to help families of soldiers who die in "training accidents", though I am kinda vague on details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Friendly Tumour posted:

They have been getting support from the IMF, so usually they run out of general financing, the IMF extends another line of credit and this has happened. The more key issue is their currency reserves which have steadily decline in the past year, right now there are theorized to be from 6-9 B, which is minimal.

I think the difference is that while they may have been running out of the financing in the short-term earlier, while right now it is more of a question of their ultimate long-term sustainability. Russia can call in a 3 billion dollar loan if it wants within the next month if Ukrainian sovereignty debt reaches over 60%, which is seen as a redline for a country like Ukraine because of it is very poor credit rating. Ukraine may simply work the math to just get barely under 60% (according to them) and Russia will object, and therefore it may go back and worth for a while. If the EU/IMF come in with full backing then Ukraine may be able to weather it, if they don't Ukraine is going to be in quite a corner.

Also, Ukraine is going to be burning off the rest of their currency reserves probably some time in Spring at the current rate (therefore you may have true hyperinflation if that happens). Soros' point is that in part the EU needs to seriously put in a lot of funding to bail Ukraine out with that as a possibility or otherwise the IMF does it but with far harsher terms which may not be enough for Ukraine.

• Locked thread