Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Out of curiosity, how can opening a png file allow someone to access your steam account or PC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

It's not a PNG. It's a server side script (probably PHP) maskerading as an executable .scr file. When you download it and try to display it from your Desktop/Downloads folder, it will infect your computer. It's been going around for two months now I think.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Breadallelogram posted:

weren't people just giving you poo poo yesterday for linking that site?

I was getting the message "don't link to your dumb articles, just link us to cool deals".

If nobody wants me to post about Steam key competitions then that's fine.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Saoshyant posted:

maskerading

I wish less people had spellcheck so I could run into more adorable typos like this. :allears:

Edit:

Arnold of Soissons posted:

you will get that feel

I'd rather avoid petty semantics arguments than be anal-retentive about grammar, and then follow up with a meme. Are you Aiden Pearce? In all seriousness, I'm just saying it's a cute way of spelling that work. I wasn't mocking the guy.

Morter fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jan 13, 2015

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Morter posted:

I wish less people had spellcheck so I could run into more adorable typos like this. :allears:

If you learn the difference between less and fewer you will get that feel even more often :nallears:

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Did Steam Machines just sort of fizzle out?

I'm moving soon and was wondering if there's an easy way to stream from a PC in one room to a front room without having to build my own little cheapo machine - is there anything purpose built for doing this sort of thing?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

PoshAlligator posted:

I'm moving soon and was wondering if there's an easy way to stream from a PC in one room to a front room without having to build my own little cheapo machine - is there anything purpose built for doing this sort of thing?

They're releasing in 2015.

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004

PoshAlligator posted:

Some recent rumors claim that Steam Machines will be heavily featured at GDC this year.

Edit - Intel's releasing a PC on an HDMI stick pretty soon for $150... this may turn out to be a decent way to stream games onto your TV. Link: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/01/intels-compute-stick-is-a-full-windows-or-linux-pc-in-an-hdmi-dongle/

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

CerebralDonut posted:

Some recent rumors claim that Steam Machines will be heavily featured at GDC this year.

Edit - Intel's releasing a PC on an HDMI stick pretty soon for $150... this may turn out to be a decent way to stream games onto your TV. Link: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/01/intels-compute-stick-is-a-full-windows-or-linux-pc-in-an-hdmi-dongle/

Nice, I'll keep an eye on this. It says there's an $89 Linux variant. If I could get SteamOS on a stick to stream to for $90 (inevitably £100) that would be pretty solid.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Phenotype posted:

Out of curiosity, how can opening a png file allow someone to access your steam account or PC?

File extensions are entirely meaningless on the web. It's just an indication of the file type for convenience, but it's incredibly easy to override by defining a MIME type when the server serves the file to the server. When you follow that link, you're not getting a png file. This is also why Imgur links work regardless of whether you add .png, .jpg or .gif to the url.

http://i.imgur.com/IL7FHVI.gif

a7m2 fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 13, 2015

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

PoshAlligator posted:

For me Watch_Dogs is that game I really kind of want but keep passing on whenever there's a sale.

But I bought Unity as soon as it hit Steam so what do I know.

I'm running a caption competition here giving away 3 Steam keys for Alphadia Genesis, which came out yesterday: http://www.ricedigital.co.uk/alphadia-genesis-caption-competition/

I don't think I fully understood the rules:

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Ragequit posted:

I don't think I fully understood the rules:

I love it.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Cross-posting from the GTA thread:
GTA 5 system requirements announced. Delayed to 24 March.
http://www.pcgamer.com/gta-5-system-requirements-announced/
:lol:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Croccers posted:

Smooth sailing.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Croccers posted:

Sucks that it's delayed, but nice to see my fairly cheap mid-range PC is just a smidge above the recommended specs.

Orv
May 4, 2011
No guys it's totally coming out on the 27th.

- Rockstar literally two days ago

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
65gb. Aaaaaaaa, I hope there's a retail PC version.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

Croccers posted:

Do they even make hard drives that are 65gb?

The specs seem reasonable in general though.

It seems Assassin's Creed Unity will quickly be dethroned as the largest game I own data-wise. What is the actual biggest Steam game? Is there any database that checks that?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Croccers posted:

"No plans to delay the release at this time"...

"...okay some plans to delay the release."

Oh well, in better news we're getting Grim Fandango remastered on GoG on the day GTA V should've been released, so there's that.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

PoshAlligator posted:

Do they even make hard drives that are 65gb?

The specs seem reasonable in general though.

It seems Assassin's Creed Unity will quickly be dethroned as the largest game I own data-wise. What is the actual biggest Steam game? Is there any database that checks that?
65GB required on HDD means that the download will be around 30GB or less - it's space required to unpack the files.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

So, how's the Rockstar's PC port track record?

Orv
May 4, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

Mostly good, with a slight control and coding blemish in Bully, and a This poo poo Barely Works blemish for the launch of GTA4.

OF COURSE THEY NEVER PORTED RDR SO gently caress THEM.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

Lately it's been pretty good, their last released game (Max Payne 3) ran totally smooth on PCs and this is apparently being ported by the same team. Hopefully the extra two months of delay is a good sign.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

SelenicMartian posted:

I seem to remember something similar happening with the GTA4 release and that's a pretty bad port.

Basically anything after San Andreas is a pretty bad port, and they've even retroactively hosed San Andreas.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Max Payne 3 runs bizarrely well and has poo poo ton of bells and whistles you can turn on.
My 560ti could keep cranking up everything until I had everything maxed except for SSAO (I don't care for it) and it kept being CPU throttled at ~90fps with like 60% GPU load.

So if that is an indication to the port quality we are in for a treat.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

The Kins posted:

According to developers Nihon Falcom, the PC port of Ys Origin has sold 200,000 copies by the end of 2014. And before you raise the obvious suggestion, it was never made available in Japan since they weren't sure if it'd sell even 1/100th of that figure in their homeland.

For reference, the most recent console release in the series (Ys: Memories of Celceta) has apparently sold just 71,897 units to date in Japan alone.

So, not bad then!

Falcom just has to come back to their roots and start making PC games again now that there's a legit market for them....at least outside of their own country.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This thread is a lot calmer then the official GTA forums, everyone there has threatened not to do buy GTAV over the delay.

The system requirements are very reasonable. I was expecting much higher since this is a port of the PS4 version. 65GB though. :lol:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ddraig posted:

Basically anything after San Andreas is a pretty bad port, and they've even retroactively hosed San Andreas.

To be fair, a lot of games with licensed music are having the music patched out as the license runs out. It happened with 'Fuel' last year, when all the licensed music was replaced with some session stuff.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Sivek posted:

Falcom just has to come back to their roots and start making PC games again now that there's a legit market for them....at least outside of their own country.
Ys 7 and Memories of Celceta are on PC in China, and XSEED may have teased a translation of The Ark of Napishtim (which has a PC port) for this year.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I said come in! posted:

This thread is a lot calmer then the official GTA forums, everyone there has threatened not to do buy GTAV over the delay.
I'm guessing fanatic forums have different entitlement issues. Witcher 3 got delayed, GTA 5 gets delayed, who gives a poo poo.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Palpek posted:

I'm guessing fanatic forums have different entitlement issues. Witcher 3 got delayed, GTA 5 gets delayed, who gives a poo poo.

It's mostly just funny because Rockstar said just a few days ago "GTA V will be coming to PC on January 27th. We have not announced any changes to this date at this time." Which was, of course, a lie of omission because you do not decide to delay a version of your billion dollar franchise over the course of a few days, especially if the delay is for two months.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kibayasu posted:

It's mostly just funny because Rockstar said just a few days ago "GTA V will be coming to PC on January 27th. We have not announced any changes to this date at this time." Which was, of course, a lie of omission because you do not decide to delay a version of your billion dollar franchise over the course of a few days, especially if the delay is for two months.

This just gives more people a longer amount of time to preorder the game. Win win!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Palpek posted:

I'm guessing fanatic forums have different entitlement issues.

It's probably due to the fact that as "fans" they feel that the creators owe them everything. "We're the thing keeping you afloat, you're just as co-dependent on us as we are co-dependent on you! Right? Right?!" Love us

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Eh more delays, it's not like PC gamers aren't used to it by now and hopefully they use that time to optimize the port.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
They're trying to lock down the online payment system for the GTA:O cash-cards.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Wow what shitheads, how can they delay the game?

Wow what a poo poo port, couldn't they have delayed the release a couple of months to smooth it out?

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Saoshyant posted:

It's not a PNG. It's a server side script (probably PHP) maskerading as an executable .scr file. When you download it and try to display it from your Desktop/Downloads folder, it will infect your computer. It's been going around for two months now I think.

Just to make sure I am paranoid enough to safely surf the net for all eternity:
-I clicked the link and it started to open a tab, which I clicked to close right away.
-To get infected you would have to let the tab load, and then some file looking like it was a .png file would be downloaded to your Desktop/Downloads folder.
-And THEN you would also have to click it to run it, yes, and it would only then infect you?

So I should be SUPER SAFE, right? Especially since I used the better part of my day to update my Antivirus / Malware software, search my laptop for poo poo and also changed the password for both my Steam account and Gmail account. Please tell me I'm correct about something IT-related, still feel retarded for clicking that chat link.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 13, 2015

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

King Vidiot posted:

It's probably due to the fact that as "fans" they feel that the creators owe them everything. "We're the thing keeping you afloat, you're just as co-dependent on us as we are co-dependent on you! Right? Right?!" Love us

All Rockstar Games fans are basically Lazlow.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Downs Duck posted:

Just to make sure I am paranoid enough to safely surf the net for all eternity:
-I clicked the link and it started to open a tab, which I clicked to close right away.
-To get infected you would have to let the tab load, and then some file looking lie it was a .png file would be downloaded to your Desktop/Downloads folder.
-And THEN you would also have to click it, yes?

So I should be SUPER SAFE, right? Especially since I used the better part of my day to update my Antivirus / Malware software, search my laptop for poo poo and also changed the password for both my Steam account and Gmail account. Please tell me I'm correct about something IT-related, still feel retarded for clicking that chat link.
If you clicked the link it's all over. You have space aids now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Palpek posted:

If you clicked the link it's all over. You have space aids now.

That's cool, I always wanted to go to space. And I'm known for spacing out anyway, so no harm done.

• Locked thread