Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So I contacted Repos through Facebook, and I was assured that they are developing an update for the official 7 Wonders scoring app, and it will be released "as soon as possible".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
SU&SD hit that point in expansion where lots of people have heard of them, so it's now cool to dislike them.

But yeah, that sci fi episode was pretty bad :(

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Tabletop season 3 on the other hand is shaping up to be interesting :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ3gKVr9taE

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Re: SUSD

Frankly, I never considered them a proper consumer review source, partly because of general taste discrepancy (in a legit way, they want to introduce hobby to newcomers, I want to sperg about panzer divisions) and partly because of them never really being right.

I mean, in their old-site days I had a strong feeling about them being sort of newcomers themselves, quite excited about whatever and not too well versed in general gaming back catalogue, "purer" examples of a genre they're talking about (can't really find a good episode list to give some particular examples right now). But, you know, that was okay - their advice was good enough for newcomers, presentation was attractive and oftentimes funny and their enthusiasm had a very sincere vibe to it.

I feel that after changing the sites and the format in general the quality of the critique improved a bit, with Quinn's mellowing out a bit and not jizzing himself whenever he discovered a new genre. Then it sort of slippery-sloped into their own biases creeping into the forefront. 2nd Sci-Fi Special aside, for me there were three reviews that proved SUSD to be a bit of stubborn asses, incapable of admitting they might have made a mistake. In no particular order:
- A Few Acres of Snow, and the stubborn insistence Halifax Hammer is but a mystique strategy for alpha nerds.
- Warhammer: Diskwars - they liked ideas behind it, didn't like the execution. Fair enough. However, when it was pointed out to them they played the game wrong (in a major way) they quickly whipped up a rebuttal saying how it totally doesn't change a thing and they just happened to be right anyway. It had a very childish butthurt vibe to it, not dissimilar to how Tom Vasel speaks in his negative reviews.
- Star Wars: The Card Game - Quinn's wasn't thrilled enough by it enough to consider it worth investment. Again, fair enough. However, with him being on a major Netrunner binge it turned into a hilarious excercise in hypocrisy. For example, Quinns made a big passionate rant about how LCGs are corporate soulless cash grabs and everybody should play non-collectible board games instead, but at the same time kept writing Netrunner is totally legit out of the gate and the expansions are there only if you happen to want them. Also lambasted the game for being incomprehensible sudden death trap without perfect cardpool knowledge... as compared to totally legit Netrunner (:monocle:), probably the single most newbie-unfriendly LCG out there.

Also, Matt Thrower prefers One Night Ultimate Werewolf to Resistance and Mascarade to Coup, so he's scientifically proven to be a poopyhead.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

I think the point where SU&SD jumped the shark for me is when I realized they often just review games they enjoy and assume the reason they enjoy them must always be because they're mechanically brilliant (because they're really smart and have good taste!!!), and then they try really hard to rationalize that idea (See: Cosmic Encounter, Dead Of Winter, A Few Acres Of Snow).

You can't perform an objective analysis of a game if you can't come to terms with the fact that you sometimes enjoy things that are objectively bad.

Also they used to be pretty funny which leads to me forgiving a lot. Nowadays they are painfully unfunny, and they keep bringing in their painfully unfunny friends.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lichtenstein posted:

Also, Matt Thrower prefers One Night Ultimate Werewolf to Resistance and Mascarade to Coup, so he's scientifically proven to be a poopyhead.

These may be the only things he's actually right about. Outside this thread I know nobody who prefers Coup to Mascarade. ONUW vs The Resistance is more a matter of taste, but we definitely play more ONUW these days because we love blatantly lying and leaving it to others to wonder what we're lying about and why.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

jivjov posted:

So I contacted Repos through Facebook, and I was assured that they are developing an update for the official 7 Wonders scoring app, and it will be released "as soon as possible".

When was Babel actually released? Because if it's been a year since the last update to the app I wouldn't expecting anything "soon" but I don't know how recent Babel actually is. I guess it's nice the answer isn't a flat no but I also interpret that as PR for "maybe".

that said I am also ambivalent if they don't update it because I never play with Babel but I would like it if they kept updating the thing because if I end up liking that Armada thing that was supposedly in the works then I'll want to keep track of it all too.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Scyther posted:

You can't perform an objective analysis of a game if you can't come to terms with the fact that you sometimes enjoy things that are objectively bad.
Let me tell you how Legendary Encounters is the best game in the whole wide world...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Let me tell you how Legendary Encounters is the best game in the whole wide world...

An interesting point. If a game were to be the best game ever, would it be possible to objectively review it? By definition it would have to be a game you liked.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I don't think there is a 'best game ever', because that description is purely a subjective view and in the end, it is just a personal ranking. I don't think it is possible to have the platonic ideal of a board game that would be universally praised by all people, which all have different tastes.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Rubitex was right all along...

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
drat, surprised to see ya guys are all burnt out on SU&SD. I do still like their reviews, but it's undeniable the videos are not as good. They "have to" churn out videos on a much more regular basis, so it's a lot more Quinns at the coffee table, which is fine with me, but the old videos were a lot more enjoyable to watch.

I do agree that SU&SD have a weird loving taste in games, but that doesn't put me off the videos. I never really saw their videos as objective critiques of design, they were always opinion pieces from the start. I think Paul/Quinns vids are the best because Quinns dips into hyperbole and his enthusiasm can overwhelm what can be bad or poorly designed mechnics, so Paul can point those things out. I kind of look to SU&SD to point out games that have come out that I can investigate further, I don't make purchases off their recommendations (sup dusty copy of City of Remnants :( ). I still like the vids, they are still miles above Dice Tower, who put out like 5 videos a day, jesus christ.

gently caress Matt though and his awful haircut.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I still enjoy SU&SD, but definitely through the lens of "this is how a new/inexperienced board gamer would feel about this game after one play", which can be a dangerous loving route to take. (See: My dust-gathering copy of Tales of the Arabian Nights.)

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
I resolutely don't want "objectivity" in reviews, because it's a fools errand. I do want critical evaluation - something that is present in their vids with both of them, most of the time. They could have been the Giant Bomb of tabletop games, a largely personality driven site, but they can't seem to hit that sweet spot.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Maybe "Objectivity" is the wrong word, but I think their "critical evaluation" is sorely lacking (See: Cosmic Encounter, Dead Of Winter, A Few Acres Of Snow). Most of the time they're just using petty rhetoric to provide justification for their opinion, often formed after just a few plays or based on nostalgia. In the beginning they had lots of enthusiasm and humor going for them at least, but that well has pretty much run dry.

Scyther fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 13, 2015

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Dre2Dee2 posted:

gently caress Matt though and his awful haircut.

You, sir, have crossed a line. :colbert:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Zveroboy posted:

If you're a regular PnP RPG player then Tales will feel rather random and disconnected and often without any of the freedom a true RPG offers since you have to choose one of several responses. Even then, your choice might not allow you to use what you would think is an appropriate skill: trying to pickpocket someone for example when you have Stealth & Stealing and the only skill choice ends up being Piety or something.

That said, I like it because is is a limited RPG. The past few years I haven't the time (or the friends sometimes :saddowns: ) to play regular PnP RPG sessions so Tales scratches the itch nicely. I'd never be able to get my parents or my girlfriend to play good ol' Dungeons & Dragons, but every so often I can bust out Tales, open a bottle of wine, and we can be adventurers or travelling musicians or devout preists for a couple of hours, laugh at each other's misfortune and narrow escapes. If at any point you've had enough just end the game there and then, or play on if you're enjoying it.

A few house rules I use to help streamline it:

Don't bother doing the whole "select your Story & Destiny points in secret" thing. The points are awarded pretty much at random so it's easier and quicker to just play to a combined total of 20.

If you're playing with just 2 or 3 people, you'll probably never make it through the whole Encounter deck in one game, so the Day/Dusk/Night thing will never progress. Advancing the marker when someone completes a quest has been better for us.

Some of the Status cards are too harsh really (Grief Stricken and Sex Changed come to mind), and I seem to remember a goon posting a list of easy house rules for them a while back, but I can't find it now :v:

Edit: Tales is for those evenings when the weekly D&D session has already been and gone, but you still want some roleplay action with the girlfriend :pervert:

My group has a bunch of regular roleplayers in it and we all like Tales quite a bit. The game is great at creating these absolutely batshit insane narratives. I ended one game in prison as an insane crystal snake. You can't even be mad if you lose with stuff like that, and frankly, if someone's playing to win and not attacking every efreet, I don't know what's wrong with them.

That said, yeah, a few statuses are harsh. We have also never gone through the deck, even with 5 players.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

With SU&SD I came to realize that while Quinns is more or less the face and voice of the group I trust Paul's opinion and commentary much, much more. If Paul isn't in a video I'm not taking the evaluation seriously.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.

Echophonic posted:

I ended one game in prison as an insane crystal snake. You can't even be mad if you lose with stuff like that.

This is the attitude you really need to enjoy Tales. It's not a game to play to win, it's more just about faffing about with magical animals and genies and seeing what kind of bizarre poo poo happens.

My most memorable game ended with me in the middle of the Sahara, crippled, wounded, lost, envious, enslaved, married (surely the same thing! :hurr: ) with my "treacherous siblings" quest still incomplete.

My girlfriend? Married to the son of the Sultan of Baghdad, vizier to the Sultan, the highest wealth level and still had the magic carpet.

I also like to pick three skills at random at the start of the game and decide character sex with a coin toss, then invent and play my character around what I get.

Bruiser
Apr 4, 2007

by Shine
I can't seem to stop buying board games. It's mainly my wife and I, so games that are great for two players is a must. We just bought Takenoko which is really really fun. Then for her birthday I'm getting Flash Point, Sushi Go, and Love Letter.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The day I learned that SUSD wasnt always a glowing beacon of traditional game info was the day Paul announced that DnD 4e just didn't feel like DnD .

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Anybody played Orleans? Looks neat from Radho's review/playthrough, not sure if it's worth $60 though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Crackbone posted:

Anybody played Orleans? Looks neat from Radho's review/playthrough, not sure if it's worth $60 though.

It's straight up my favourite game from Essen 2014. Versailles is better for that light, quick fix and is a solid game to introduce casual gamers to the hobby, but Orleans is incredibly strong on every level. Buy that sucker.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
To follow up my previous post where I find hop on board the Dixit train, can someone give me a quick rundown on the various expansions/incarnations? I'm guessing from the descriptions that Quest, Odyssey, Daydreams, and Origins are just more cards to add to the base game, but do any add new rules or modules, and is any one of them just as good as the other? Is Journey a reprint of the base set, or an alternate base set? What is Jinx, and is it any good?

Paper Kaiju fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 13, 2015

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Scyther posted:

Nowadays they are painfully unfunny, and they keep bringing in their painfully unfunny friends.

I think Quinns and Paul are still funny sometimes.

But I 100% agree on the lovely friends bit. Brendon and Matt are painfully, unfunnily bad.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Countblanc posted:

The day I learned that SUSD wasnt always a glowing beacon of traditional game info was the day Paul announced that DnD 4e just didn't feel like DnD .

Yeah, I feel the same. Credibility dropped right there.

KiloVictorDongs
Apr 12, 2007
SOME PIG
Played some Eldritch Horror solo yesterday, and I'll be playing a full game with actual humans later today. What can I say, I love me some Ameritrash.

I also have opinions on Shut Up and Sit Down, but I 'd rather post about how Magnetic North's tortured metaphor on the last page is a frontrunner for 2015's post of the year.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

KiloVictorDongs posted:

I also have opinions on Shut Up and Sit Down, but I 'd rather post about how Magnetic North's tortured metaphor on the last page is a frontrunner for 2015's post of the year.

All the recent Space Alert talk is making me really want to teleport 40 dollars out of my pocket, too, but the time pressure thing may get weird with my group. We really like Vlaada games, but we are also like the table talk capital of the planet.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Crackbone posted:

Love it. 2014 top five for sure.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

TheKingofSprings posted:

At no point while typing this did you think "Maybe I should stop typing this"?

Yeah, but I figured it'd be worth a laugh, either with me or at me.

Tekopo posted:

I don't think there is a 'best game ever', because that description is purely a subjective view and in the end, it is just a personal ranking. I don't think it is possible to have the platonic ideal of a board game that would be universally praised by all people, which all have different tastes.

Quoted for truth. There seems to be an attitude among some gamers have they have left the cave and seen the form of Game, and that they bear a terrible burden as they return to witness everyone playing with their shadow games.

Lord Frisk posted:

Countblanc posted:

Yeah, I feel the same. Credibility dropped right there.

If I recall correctly, that was a common complaint when it came out. People said D&D4E was like WoW. Having played it now, I like it and I would disagree with that assessment, but not so severely that I would discount someone's opinion that it was unlike what D&D had been to them. At the same point, I accept that's kind of a nothing statement, basically the the reverse of "I like it so that's what matters."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

When was Babel actually released? Because if it's been a year since the last update to the app I wouldn't expecting anything "soon" but I don't know how recent Babel actually is. I guess it's nice the answer isn't a flat no but I also interpret that as PR for "maybe".

Babel came out in November, so about 2 months ago. I don't think Repos has any other digital presence, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were no ground plans laid for an app update until after Babel was already out the door.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Tekopo posted:

I don't think there is a 'best game ever'

That's only because the Kickstarter for Homestuck Munchkin hasn't been fully funded yet.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Magnetic North posted:

If I recall correctly, that was a common complaint when it came out. People said D&D4E was like WoW. Having played it now, I like it and I would disagree with that assessment, but not so severely that I would discount someone's opinion that it was unlike what D&D had been to them. At the same point, I accept that's kind of a nothing statement, basically the the reverse of "I like it so that's what matters."

It was also a common complaint when 3rd edition came out. I feel pretty confident people said it about Second Edition, and Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, and it would have been a complaint about 5e if the guiding design principle hadn't been "win back the grogs we haven't lost forever to Pathfinder."

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Toshimo posted:

That's only because the Kickstarter for Homestuck Munchkin hasn't been fully funded yet.

Truly a theme and a game worthy of each other; both keep going well after they've outstayed their welcome.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Tekopo posted:

I don't think there is a 'best game ever'

There is. Space Alert. It's just that not everyone is best gamer ever. :colbert:

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Jedit posted:

It's straight up my favourite game from Essen 2014. Versailles is better for that light, quick fix and is a solid game to introduce casual gamers to the hobby, but Orleans is incredibly strong on every level. Buy that sucker.

I do want this game, but it looks like it won't be delivered till September at the earliest, and I wonder if it'll end up being released retail at a lower price point about a month later?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Magnetic North posted:

Except he didn't do it when it came out, he did it last year.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I still back SU&SD for a couple reasons. While I no longer find the majority of their reviews very helpful when considering making a purchase, they get me excited about board games. While I much prefer collaborative reviews, Quinns definitely conveys a sense of enthusiasm that makes him a great salesman. I also enjoy their little club bags. It's fun to get them in the mail and pour over the content, some of it is pretty funny. I really enjoyed the Tips for the Aspiring Netrunner pamphlet, but then I miss the Netrunner Tips section in general. I dunno if SU&SD is necessarily the best voice in the board gaming community, but they bring people into the hobby and I think that's worth a few bucks.

Lord Frisk posted:

Except he didn't do it when it came out, he did it last year.

Okay yeah, this poo poo is inexcusable and it drives me bonkers.

Somberbrero fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 13, 2015

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Did any friendly goon happen to pick up an extra copy of Dominion at 15$ last night? I went to get one this morning online and it's all sold out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

I think you were the only person I've seen who said words about Theseus, so thanks for the recommendation. I really enjoyed the couple games I've played. I'd be totally cool if they added more cards for the various factions though so that they don't overlap so much (I still don't know why Greys get landmines) and had some more cool, unique cards though.

But yeah I'm totally down for Bots.

Is Theseus only good as a 2 player game? That's what the SU&SD review said. Is the 4p game as bad as people make it out to be?