Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams
Help the Police: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kf4kyQabwQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Cole posted:

I haven't drank since may 1st but good one. Sorry you can't answer my question so you just jump on the insult bandwagon.

How about this. I will donate $100 to the ACLU next payday if the next ten consecutive posts, by different people, explain what you have done to help police reform outside of posting on the internet. That way I help in the only way that has been suggested in this thread that wasn't actually 'post on the internet.'

There, I gave you a reason to answer it.

"I will donate if literally everyone but me agrees to this totally unrealistic stipulation. Hahah, you guys didn't do it! Now look who it is! Certainly not I!"

Interesting how you think that talking about issues with the police is just an echo chamber with zero content when you seem to have no problem with your profession's entire subforum dedicated to circlejerking...

Why is it that you think everyone should take you seriously when you have proven, repeatedly, that you aren't arguing in good faith? Is this total lack of social awareness something you learned from your parents, or the military?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

62 posts ? Which department shot someone now ? Oh, Cole is trolling again.

Goons in Platoons renamed the "Let's talk about idiots" thread to "Let's talk about Cole". Just so you know.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

mllaneza posted:

Goons in Platoons renamed the "Let's talk about idiots" thread to "Let's talk about Cole". Just so you know.

Ok that explains my bookmarks.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

litany of gulps posted:

Why do you assume alcohol, honestly? Have you actually spoken to anyone that has recently left the military? Defending extreme police action is as natural as spewing insane Islamophobia and racism for that crowd. You're used to dealing with normal people, so you'd assume drugs to reduce inhibition was the cause for this, but it may just be a standard side effect of military service.

That may be an issue with the situations we put our servicemen in and the support we give them during and after their terms.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

bitcoin bastard posted:

Serious question: What part of your juror pool on X day is made up of people who have a 'real' 9-5 job, people who have a customer facing job that isn't necessarily 9-5, and people who are retirees?

Where I am now, which is kind of middle to upper middle suburbia:
50%
15% -- includes other part timers in warehouses and such.
20%
15% unemployed/student

I was in a more blue collar area previously and it was more like 1/4 of each.

That said those basic categories are not as important as people think. Like engineers almost always suck (unless I have a science case like a DUI where the math is on my side), while someone in a government job would be a wash, and say a social worker would be awesome. I like union workers too, except for teachers.
Retirees are so mixed. It depends on the case.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Cops have saved me from abusive women, thank you cops.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

mllaneza posted:

I knew you weren't kidding, but I still had to check.

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

TheSpiritFox posted:

I knew you weren't kidding, but I still had to check.

I've never actually gone into GiP before without being linked to a thread there, but broke that streak just to see if mllaneza's post was a joke.

I definitely wasn't disappointed.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Different agency, but for what it's worth I think they made the right decision in leaving. Grazing permits aren't worth gunfire. I am pretty disappointed there wasn't any meaningful followup from the U.S. attorney though. The people who confronted the BLM with guns and impeded their enforcement of a court order should have been prosecuted.

Yeah grazing permits aren't worth gunfire but I think unauthorized checkpoints and using women as literal human shields are

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

The Mattybee posted:

"I will donate if literally everyone but me agrees to this totally unrealistic stipulation. Hahah, you guys didn't do it! Now look who it is! Certainly not I!"

Interesting how you think that talking about issues with the police is just an echo chamber with zero content when you seem to have no problem with your profession's entire subforum dedicated to circlejerking...

Why is it that you think everyone should take you seriously when you have proven, repeatedly, that you aren't arguing in good faith? Is this total lack of social awareness something you learned from your parents, or the military?

Wait..

10 replies of people actually explaining what they are doing to help police reform outside of mad posting on the internet is a "totally unrealistic stipulation"?

lol

Yes. It is unrealistic to ask people being internet warriors to explain how they are actually contributing to their social crusade.

You are a loving joke.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Genocide Tendency posted:

Wait..

10 replies of people actually explaining what they are doing to help police reform outside of mad posting on the internet is a "totally unrealistic stipulation"?

lol

Yes. It is unrealistic to ask people being internet warriors to explain how they are actually contributing to their social crusade.

You are a loving joke.

You obviously have never heard of a combo breaker have you?

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
As a Cop / fan of Cops I demand that everyone justify to me their complaining about the police. Recent events have made it impossible for me to easily employ the "few bad apples" defence so I am now falling back to the position you can't complain about a major problem in society without actively working to fix it. The added bonus with this plan is that I can, in the future, pretend that it is people who oppose police abusing their power who are to blame for police crimes because they didn't work hard enough to fix things.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

ReV VAdAUL posted:

As a Cop / fan of Cops I demand that everyone justify to me their complaining about the police. Recent events have made it impossible for me to easily employ the "few bad apples" defence so I am now falling back to the position you can't complain about a major problem in society without actively working to fix it. The added bonus with this plan is that I can, in the future, pretend that it is people who oppose police abusing their power who are to blame for police crimes because they didn't work hard enough to fix things.

Actually it is completely acceptable to tell someone to shut the gently caress up if they constantly whine about something being wrong when they chose to just whine about it instead of actually contributing to correcting what they see as an issue.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Actually it is completely acceptable to tell someone to shut the gently caress up if they constantly whine about something being wrong when they chose to just whine about it instead of actually contributing to correcting what they see as an issue.

its also acceptable to tell someone to shut up if they're making awful shitposts

so, you know, shut up

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

nm posted:

Like engineers almost always suck (unless I have a science case like a DUI where the math is on my side)
As an engineer, I am absolutely not surprised, but I am curious how they suck in a jury.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Popular Thug Drink posted:

its also acceptable to tell someone to shut up if they're making awful shitposts

so, you know, shut up

Ah yes..

Pointing out that D&D posters are mad posting about sand in their vaginas instead of going to the store for Summer's Eve is poo poo posting.

Gotcha.

:qq:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

The great thing about the internet is that you don't have to read threads you don't like.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ah yes..

Pointing out that D&D posters are mad posting about sand in their vaginas instead of going to the store for Summer's Eve is poo poo posting.

Gotcha.

yeah, we're all just big old weepy pussy lady feminine vagina gashes over here in the old d&d

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

This is a why the senate torture thread was so short. No one was allowed to post because no one could do anything meaningful to stop CIA abuses. :rolleyes:

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Holy poo poo douching is extremely bad for you don't do it

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
Lots of talk about the douches trolling the thread.
Duluth won't release body camera video of police shooting

quote:

"We have determined that it's in the best interest of the city and our officer to classify (the video) under this statute," Johnson said in an interview. "We want to make sure that when, and if, there's a lawsuit, that we have the strongest defense possible for the city and the officer."

I hope some news organization pushes for the release of this video. The city choosing to withhold it because it might hurt their defense if it gets released is some absurd circular logic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx32b5igLwA

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

DARPA posted:

I hope some news organization pushes for the release of this video. The city choosing to withhold it because it might hurt their defense if it gets released is some absurd circular logic.

I wonder what is so bad they can't edit it out or release a partial tape.

At least with the body camera the PD has to do something to hide the evidence like this. Without them, they wouldn't have anything they'd need to hide.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

DARPA posted:

If there is a lawsuit, won't they be compelled to release the video anyway, or will it be lost by then?

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

DARPA posted:

This would be the new normal after body cameras become available. "Well we HAVE footage of the shooting but we won't release it until a lawsuit forces us to."

The bit about "when, and if, there's a lawsuit" and "strongest defense possible for the officer" is really chilling. You guys killed somebody. That's *kind* of a big deal.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
That dude, in particular, survived.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

LorneReams posted:

If there is a lawsuit, won't they be compelled to release the video anyway, or will it be lost by then?

They would be compelled to provide it to the defense, but there may be portions of it that couldn't be presented to a jury for various reasons. If the video is made public before then, it taints the jury pool by exposing them to evidence that they may or may not be supposed to see.

If it's lost, then there's probably going to be a pretty harsh spoliation instruction along the lines of "assume the officer is lying" or similar sanctions. Destruction of evidence you've admitted you have tends to piss off judges.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

lol

You are a loving joke.

Yes, expecting ten people to immediately post about that with nobody shitposting in between or not seeing the post or anything like that is, in fact, pretty unreasonable, because if even one person disagrees in that ten post span, or posts anything else, apparently everyone is invalidated!

But let's be honest - it's not us you're mad at, it's yourself.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DARPA posted:

I hope some news organization pushes for the release of this video.

The victim survived and at the present time he and his family does not want to see it released to the public.

I'd respect their privacy.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Wilhelm_Scream.wav posted:

Yeah grazing permits aren't worth gunfire but I think unauthorized checkpoints and using women as literal human shields are

Yeah what those guys did definitely warrants people being killed, it's not like we can ever arrest them at another time and place and put them on trial or anything

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005

ayn rand hand job posted:

The victim survived and at the present time he and his family does not want to see it released to the public.

I'd respect their privacy.
Nah, I'd rather know if the police department can be trusted to respond to calls involving suicidal individuals. The guy cut himself and locked himself in a room. The police busted in, used an attack dog "as a distraction" then shot him. It's amazing how the social workers I know manage to deal with suicidal people on a daily basis without carrying a gun or releasing an attack dog.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2...tbrain_Mashable

:(

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
That's good, conspiracy to commit suicide should carry a death sentence.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

like we can ever arrest them at another time and place and put them on trial or anything

But we didn't?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I'm aware of that. I said "can", not "did".

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-robbery.html

quote:

In 2013, Morrison shot and killed another man during a traffic stop after the man reached for something that was later determined to be a BB gun. An inquest cleared Morrison of wrongdoing in that case.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
It's the same dude I posted a few pages ago.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Ah yes..

Gotcha.

I care about this thread, and it intimidates me how much you just do not care about this thread... Care more! I just need you to care! Why do you have to be so objective and distanced from the conversation like that where you make me feel like there's just nothing I could ever do to make you care! :qq:

Also this was pretty funny.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 13, 2015

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Right wingers are in greater need of reform to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Wait..

lol

You are a loving joke.

He said he wanted 10 in a row, which is perfect because even if nine complied and the tenth said something snarky he could still rear end out. It's just a double standard, he gets to say things like this:

Cole posted:

I hope someone reads this thread when it's all said and done and it changes the world.

Which is like the fifth post in the thread and set the tone for all posts thereafter. He gets to throw backhanded poo poo, we have to form a committee to reform the NYPD. It's Our Job As Cheposters, you see.

• Locked thread