Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Doctor Reynolds posted:

So is Super Mario 64 gouache now or something? I've always enjoyed that run. I guess it's been seen a lot...

People have to actually submit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

After an entire week I still don't know what Tinybuild does other than "publishes games" and what it's relevance is to AGDQ. :shrug: It's kind of a stupid ad.

This but PCF

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Has anyone else noticed all the AGDQ videos on youtube have out-of-sync sound? I noticed it while watching a KH2 run video but thought it have been just that one, but today I looked for the Morrowind run and every video I could find was out of sync as well.

Yeah some of the uploaders seem to have the sound off sync by several seconds. I've had good experiences with this guy though: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_NsA72Bgro_Ig0FPKJ4T56CnOk-ikayi

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
I really like watching the "faster" runs - that is, runs that last under ~30 minutes. Any recommendations from this/previous AGDQ's?

(My favorites have been anything TASbot has done, that A Boy and his Blob run from a past one, super glitchy stuff, etc)

edit: While I'm here, I wish I could find more TAS runs in general with audio commentary over top

BaronVanAwesome fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jan 13, 2015

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Seconding the cool TAS video thing. The ones with commentary explaining what the gently caress is happening were cool but it seems a lot of the ones on the TASVideo website are quite honestly pretty drat boring.

^ As for short runs The Town With No Name was pretty funny but isn't really a speedrun.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Studio posted:

People have to actually submit.

Studio, you didn't go for the Fireworks kill in RoR! You promised during your stream. :argh:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I loving demand that someone plays Dongs.exe during the next *GDQ.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

Cuchulain posted:

Studio, you didn't go for the Fireworks kill in RoR! You promised during your stream. :argh:

You wouldn't have been able to tell, anyway. :v:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I still don't get why the Humble Bundle was selected with such games. I get why Speedrunners is in it, as it seems to be the only actual thing Tinybuilders has to do with AGDQ, but what did Volgarr the Viking had to do with it? I was honestly a little bummed to find out Volgarr wasn't even being run, as I honestly liked to saw a speedrun of it in the middle of some Ghost N Goblin block.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rirse posted:

I still don't get why the Humble Bundle was selected with such games. I get why Speedrunners is in it, as it seems to be the only actual thing Tinybuilders has to do with AGDQ, but what did Volgarr the Viking had to do with it? I was honestly a little bummed to find out Volgarr wasn't even being run, as I honestly liked to saw a speedrun of it in the middle of some Ghost N Goblin block.
The Volgarr devs made a big donation at some point, so I'm guessing they got involved because they support the marathon and it's cause.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Rirse posted:

yeah when I saw Abe's Odyssey in the bundle I thought a friend of mine who is about the only person who runs that game had gotten into AGDQ and I got all excited. Kind of a letdown to see that not only was he not there, Abe's Odyssey wasn't even being run.

the game selection seemed nearly random to me

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
I was surprised at how good tech was for the most part this year. Especially compared to 2014 where even the stream recordings were basically inaudible. That said setup definitely needs some improvement, I'm not sure why it took so long. A lot of times setup was even longer than the runs. A lot of cool runs could have been fit in the schedule if the setup was faster (off the top of my head Claude could have run FFT like 9 times with all the combined setup time).

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Audio Feedback

This year was a massive improvement to last years audio, giving everybody a mic headset was tremendous for being able to hear the action unfold from the players, and their support groups.

That being said there is always room for improvement. I noticed that the entire stream was gated pretty heavily, which created sections of blank audio which could have been confusing to some watchers. "Is my audio on? is something wrong with twitch?". Just like on radio, you never want to go completely silent, as its distracting for the viewer. I noticed that music started to get played during downtimes later so that was an improvement as you went along. I would personally not gate the microphones since gate is generally used on drums to create clean recordings where you know there will always be sharp transients. Gate on voice if ever used is at a very very low setting, just right above the noise floor, otherwise it can sound very unnatural as there is complete silence in the middle of talking sometimes.

Instead a better solution for live audio is Side Chain compression (even multiband compression, as it can function as an EQ as well). Side chain compression basically states, "hey use this compression setting, when you get audio over or under a certain DB from these other channels. What this can do, is automate the game audio which was set very low the entire time, between people talking. This works much better than a gate to create clean audio since the game is allowed to shine when players aren't talking. It also helps with your limited personel concerns as the only thing a person needs to do is set an audio fader for as loud as the game/talker is and then run with it.

Because of the wide dynamic range of game audio you'll run into (NES games probably having the highest RMS, while Xbox360 games having the lowest) you'll need to be able to account for that. It might be useful to have two settings of sidechain compression, one for LOUD games, and one for quiet games. I'm unfamilar with the hardware you used, but if it's a hardware board it shouldn't be too hard to create scenes for it.

Pointing a lav in the general direction of the crowd can be good for picking up clean crowd reactions, and I would place a slow gate on that so you only get their reaction when they cheer. Just hanging one from the ceiling can be enough if the pickup pattern is wide enough.

Really you guys have it almost there, it's just about configuring the mixing board in a smart way so that it basically runs on autopilot, and all you have to train tech to do is set levels properly. Of course you still need to react if people go from a mumble to screaming uncontrollably.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

BaronVanAwesome posted:

I really like watching the "faster" runs - that is, runs that last under ~30 minutes. Any recommendations from this/previous AGDQ's?

(My favorites have been anything TASbot has done, that A Boy and his Blob run from a past one, super glitchy stuff, etc)

edit: While I'm here, I wish I could find more TAS runs in general with audio commentary over top

The Ninja Gaiden relay race is three fast speedruns back to back with solid informative commentary throughout.

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011

flatluigi posted:

Note that also some runners might be taking stuff down that the marathon isn't, too -- I know Werster wanted his run only on the official channel and his own channel for now.

Can he even do that? I would think the owner of the footage was AGDQ not him. Actually that's very interesting now that I think about it. UA do you know who is the owner of the footage ??

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

It's God's footage, man

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

FailAtMagic posted:

Can he even do that? I would think the owner of the footage was AGDQ not him. Actually that's very interesting now that I think about it. UA do you know who is the owner of the footage ??
Youtube is sort of a "take down now, ask questions maybe never" kind of place. :shrug:

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.

FailAtMagic posted:

Don't quote me on this since I'm at the airport and don't have the documentation handy, but I want to say GDQ owns the footage. We make people sign waivers indicating that we can use any recordings in perpetuity, iirc.

That said, our legal policy on the event footage is already a bit nebulous (other than "don't monetize our poo poo") so one of the things I'll be bringing up later so we can get a formal legal policy written up. I only just recently found out that it's possible to detect whether a video has ads based on the user's setting or whether it has a third-party claim on it from elsewhere, but unfortunately you have to go through the YouTube API in order to determine that, it's not something you can get directly from the site as far as I can tell. It's better than nothing, though.

I, personally, am ok with Werster wanting the only copies of the run to be on our channel and his own personal channel, but I'm not sure how to word that in a legal sense so that it's unambiguous. Plus how do we handle things like the couch crew? Do they have the right to have non-official videos taken down? It's still a bit up in the air at this point, so all I'll say right now is:

Don't monetize our videos if you had nothing to do with them.

triangle cat
Apr 10, 2007
needs triocular implants

Boogalo posted:

The "Home is where the :love: is" Link cross-stitch bid prize was cute, but I didn't get my donation in on time. Is there any way to get in touch with the contributor, triangles, to find out if they'd do a commission?
Oh hi I never post but someone pointed me here - I'm glad you liked it!
I would definitely be open to a commission, you can shoot me an email at triangle ((dot)) chris ((at)) gmail ((dot)) com

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

MVP posted:

This but PCF

I really would rather prefer if they just did MSF for AGDQ as well, it is such a good charity, and it does not come with sad but slightly pointless stories.

They could certainly do worse than PCF though, so kindly no flamewar off of this simple wish.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

does msf pay uyama

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I AM THE MOON posted:

does msf pay uyama
Is it any of your business

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Look man, we gotta find out if Uyama is in cahoots with Big Boss.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

HGH posted:

Look man, we gotta find out if Uyama is in cahoots with Big Boss.
Vitesse-Coureurs Sans Frontières

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

BaronVanAwesome posted:

http://tasvideos.org/Commentaries.html

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Seconding the cool TAS video thing. The ones with commentary explaining what the gently caress is happening were cool but it seems a lot of the ones on the TASVideo website are quite honestly pretty drat boring.

Some TASes are longer than a feature film and you have to be really into the game to enjoy it. There are also plenty that are short and interesting, which is why the website has the star, moon, and vault tiers to tell you how interesting a TAS will be to watch.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Little videos explaining individual speedrunning tricks might be a nice way to kill time between runs.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Quite apart from whether they are doing so it would make a ton of sense for PCF to pay somebody to run AGDQ because FY2013-14 it was about 20% of their income.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
I mentioned in the irc that I'd love to see promo stuff in between runs. "Hi I'm here with Cosmo and I wanted to ask about the race between you and Peaches" "HE'S G'IN DOWN BROTHER WHEN MY PATENTED BOMB JUMP RUNS WILD ON HIM! OH YEAH!"

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Forer posted:

I mentioned in the irc that I'd love to see promo stuff in between runs. "Hi I'm here with Cosmo and I wanted to ask about the race between you and Peaches" "HE'S G'IN DOWN BROTHER WHEN MY PATENTED BOMB JUMP RUNS WILD ON HIM! OH YEAH!"

I'd like having a roving reporter between runs just interviewing runners. Pie's interviews last year were pretty cool and he's a pretty enthusiastic guy, he seems like he'd be a good person to do something like this.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Forer posted:

I want this to be real. UA, whomever, please make this happen.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

The Kins posted:

Little videos explaining individual speedrunning tricks might be a nice way to kill time between runs.

This would be neat. Giving a little context to some of the more difficult/less visually impressive tricks that might not be obvious to someone who doesn't know the game would be a good way to advertise future runs or maybe tell us what was happening in a previous run. Much more interesting that ten minutes of some dude fiddling with a snes.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

MooCowlian posted:

This would be neat. Giving a little context to some of the more difficult/less visually impressive tricks that might not be obvious to someone who doesn't know the game would be a good way to advertise future runs or maybe tell us what was happening in a previous run. Much more interesting that ten minutes of some dude fiddling with a snes.

DidYouKnowSpeedrunning

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

CrashCat posted:

Is it any of your business
Transparency is good among charities and affiliated organizations so yeah kinda.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

mango sentinel posted:

Transparency is good among charities and affiliated organizations so yeah kinda.
http://www.msf.org/our-finances
http://www.msf.org/international-financial-reports

Knock yourself out

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

mango sentinel posted:

GDQ is hired as contractors by PCF and you can find PCF's yearly spending on fund raisers in their tax filings. When the big blow up happened on the SRL website the end was "we don't have to divulge our wages but in the end it's basically break-even"

PCF pays for the gear that they don't want to carry around all over the place like excess cabling and CRTs and GDQ pays for things they use between AGDQ/SGDQ like capture cards and default hardware. Most the money from tickets goes towards this. The financials disclosed for SGDQ last year basically was a net-loss for them. GDQ becoming a LLC is for liability purposes and to separate the creators from potential lawsuits and other various headaches that come with running conventions.

BiznatchMcFiznach
Oct 11, 2004

A robot isn't just for Christmas, it's for life.
Massive respect to all those kiddles that gave me a week of enjoyment again... and all in the name of charity.

Can't wait for this year's SGDQ (because I have nothing else to look forward to, so I spend my days wishing my life away)...

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
is it anyone's business? yea I mean technically if someone wants to see how the money they are donating is being spent then it sure is

but lets not imply they don't deserve to get paid for the time running it (especially since it went much better this year than last year)

thats a lot of money raised for charity and pretty small overhead in GDQ expenses and even small overhead when considering the relatively small overhead that PCF has

are there nonprofits where more money goes toward their cause of choice than PCF? yea, but still PCF is a good charity and its well within the bounds of reasonable expenses

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I just want to be clear that I wasn't ragging on the tech people, just that it seemed like they were shorthanded and you can only get but so many people to volunteer themselves to do frantic tech support for a week without pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

I've grabbed this link before, but most of the YouTubes don't have any commentary - sometimes the DailyMotions do

• Locked thread