Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

We want to get rid of the crate over the spring/summer. It's a XXL-sizes crate and it takes up *a lot* of space. She now sleeps outside the crate, but if we leave and she's not crated, she will cry instantly, so we need start doing the whole desensitization thing again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YouSpoonyBard
May 10, 2007
You Killed Anna!

Hey there thread, my fiancée and I just got a 5 1/2 month old deaf pitbull/bulldog mix. He's been really good with us for the last few days and we spent the entire weekend with him. He's been doing great with his crate and potty training has been going well too. But today he's been reall aggressive, started actually barking at us and has for the past half hour been trying to hump my wife's leg despite her putting him on his back to submit multiple times. He was neutered shortly before we got him and we'd love some advice on why he's being so aggressive and some plans to help with his behavior.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

YouSpoonyBard posted:

Hey there thread, my fiancée and I just got a 5 1/2 month old deaf pitbull/bulldog mix. He's been really good with us for the last few days and we spent the entire weekend with him. He's been doing great with his crate and potty training has been going well too. But today he's been reall aggressive, started actually barking at us and has for the past half hour been trying to hump my wife's leg despite her putting him on his back to submit multiple times. He was neutered shortly before we got him and we'd love some advice on why he's being so aggressive and some plans to help with his behavior.

Well, I would start by sorting out your relationship issues and then take care of the dog later...

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

supermikhail posted:

Ah. It's a puppy, and it seems like a cold winter. Right now according to the Internet -4 C which is 25 F also according to the Internet. Could that be a justification? (Not a chihuahua, though. At a layman's guess, it's probably called "a mixed breed".)

What is wrong with you? It regularly gets to -20F where I live and I still let my dog use the bathroom outside. 25f is not too cold for your drat dog to go outside.

YouSpoonyBard
May 10, 2007
You Killed Anna!

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Well, I would start by sorting out your relationship issues and then take care of the dog later...

Thank you for picking up on my little error as I essentially phone post

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
So how do you teach a puppy to chill out? My Havanese is 4 months old and he never relaxes unless we're going to bed and have turned all the lights out for the night.

He gets an hour or so of dedicated playtime in the morning which might include running around the backyard and playing fetch, doing training of various commands or just playing with his toys inside and I take him for an hour-ish walk in the evenings but when we're just hanging out at home he never stops moving. We've trained him to do 'on your mat' which sends him flying from wherever he is in the house to his mat where he will sit for 5 seconds or so before flying off again and he will cautiously go 'in your crate' but once he's in the crate, again, he sits there for 5 seconds then fucks off to play with his toys or whatever.

If we put any of his toys in his crate and try to encourage him to play with them inside the crate he will do so for a minute or two then lose interest and even when he gets super tired and naps he will move to a new position every few minutes. At night when we go to bed he will keep running around and wanting to play until we turn the lights out at which point he instantly goes to sleep.

It's not super bothersome as he's a tiny dog and can't really cause that much chaos in the house but I feel like it would be nice both for us and the dog if he could learn to just relax and chill on his mat / in his crate sometimes.

Is it just a puppy thing or a breed specific thing or is there some sort of particular training we can do to help him learn to relax?

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.

YouSpoonyBard posted:

Don't alpha roll your dog.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

What is wrong with you? It regularly gets to -20F where I live and I still let my dog use the bathroom outside. 25f is not too cold for your drat dog to go outside.

Not my dog, but apparently he hasn't been vaccinated yet, and they are supposed to immediately get rabies or something if they go outside unvaccinated.

I think he's going to the vet this week, though.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

YouSpoonyBard posted:

Euth you'reselves and then the dog, that'll learn it

YouSpoonyBard
May 10, 2007
You Killed Anna!

The Light Eternal posted:

Don't alpha roll your dog.

Yeah we looked up all the reasons not to do that, I'm am rear end in a top hat and I should have looked up more info on it. He was doing way better after we took ourselves out of the room for a bit. Poor guy is teething like mad still and I'm sure that's not helping.

Fraction posted:

Euth you'reselves and then the dog, that'll learn it

I was just doing what a friend suggested, it was a poor move. Thank you for offering advice on how to help though.

YouSpoonyBard fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jan 13, 2015

YouSpoonyBard
May 10, 2007
You Killed Anna!

Quote is not edit

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

cyberia posted:

So how do you teach a puppy to chill out? My Havanese is 4 months old and he never relaxes unless we're going to bed and have turned all the lights out for the night.

He gets an hour or so of dedicated playtime in the morning which might include running around the backyard and playing fetch, doing training of various commands or just playing with his toys inside and I take him for an hour-ish walk in the evenings but when we're just hanging out at home he never stops moving. We've trained him to do 'on your mat' which sends him flying from wherever he is in the house to his mat where he will sit for 5 seconds or so before flying off again and he will cautiously go 'in your crate' but once he's in the crate, again, he sits there for 5 seconds then fucks off to play with his toys or whatever.

If we put any of his toys in his crate and try to encourage him to play with them inside the crate he will do so for a minute or two then lose interest and even when he gets super tired and naps he will move to a new position every few minutes. At night when we go to bed he will keep running around and wanting to play until we turn the lights out at which point he instantly goes to sleep.

It's not super bothersome as he's a tiny dog and can't really cause that much chaos in the house but I feel like it would be nice both for us and the dog if he could learn to just relax and chill on his mat / in his crate sometimes.

Is it just a puppy thing or a breed specific thing or is there some sort of particular training we can do to help him learn to relax?

Again, I didn't do this myself so ymmv. I've seen people basically leash the dog (you shouldn't let him unsupervised right now anyway) and just chill out and watch tv with the dog next to them. If you want to keep him in your lap, sure I guess that works too, but the idea is that the dog will eventually get the idea that there are times to play (when you're being playful) and there are times to chill the gently caress out (when you are not being playful). It's not a hard sell, but it's something that will take time and consistency.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

cyberia posted:

It's definitely a puppy thing (and sometimes a breed thing) but you can certainly work on teaching him more desirable behavior inside. I tend to use a three pronged approach when dealing with spazzy dogs inside: capture calmness, teach them to settle, and give them a mellow activity to keep them out of your hair - my favorite being long lasting chews. Chewing is calming for dogs and a hoof, bone, or kong will keep them occupied for a while. If you only give him chews while he's on his mat or in his crate, it can help reinforce the idea that mat/crate = calm time. If you haven't already, start doing matwork with your pup daily. This will teach him how to settle down as well as help him learn that he needs to stay on his mat until you release him.

Additionally, make a conscious effort to reward him whenever he's being calm inside the house:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wesm2OpE_2c

The books Control Unleashed and Chill Out Fido! have a lot more info on teaching dogs self control and how to mellow out.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Triangulum posted:

It's definitely a puppy thing (and sometimes a breed thing) but you can certainly work on teaching him more desirable behavior inside. I tend to use a three pronged approach when dealing with spazzy dogs inside: capture calmness, teach them to settle, and give them a mellow activity to keep them out of your hair - my favorite being long lasting chews. Chewing is calming for dogs and a hoof, bone, or kong will keep them occupied for a while. If you only give him chews while he's on his mat or in his crate, it can help reinforce the idea that mat/crate = calm time. If you haven't already, start doing matwork with your pup daily. This will teach him how to settle down as well as help him learn that he needs to stay on his mat until you release him.

Additionally, make a conscious effort to reward him whenever he's being calm inside the house:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wesm2OpE_2c

The books Control Unleashed and Chill Out Fido! have a lot more info on teaching dogs self control and how to mellow out.

Yeah. The rule is that whenever Hana is upstairs, she needs to be on her bed. It's taken a while to get it across(2 months?), but she mostly got it now. Upstairs is for chilling/sleeping.

Superficial Flu
Jan 1, 2014
Hi all. So my fiance and I are looking to adopt a grown dog. We've been researching and looking into this for a good long while, saving up, all that, and we decided to pull the trigger. However, I'm starting to worry that we go away too much and it wouldn't be fair to the dog. Our families live far away and we'd have to fly to see them, so taking the dog isn't possible. That means for holidays we'd have to leave the dog with a friend or dog sitter, not to mention if we wanted to ever go on vacation. We're ready for all the other day-to-day lifestyle changes, but this is freaking me out. On one hand, I feel like I'm getting cold feet and worrying about nothing, but on the other hand, I don't want to adopt a dog who is going to be sad and lonely. I've read enough of PI to know you're all more on the harsh realities side, rather than the "wooo doggie!" side, so I come to you for advice...

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Superficial Flu posted:

Hi all. So my fiance and I are looking to adopt a grown dog. We've been researching and looking into this for a good long while, saving up, all that, and we decided to pull the trigger. However, I'm starting to worry that we go away too much and it wouldn't be fair to the dog. Our families live far away and we'd have to fly to see them, so taking the dog isn't possible. That means for holidays we'd have to leave the dog with a friend or dog sitter, not to mention if we wanted to ever go on vacation. We're ready for all the other day-to-day lifestyle changes, but this is freaking me out. On one hand, I feel like I'm getting cold feet and worrying about nothing, but on the other hand, I don't want to adopt a dog who is going to be sad and lonely. I've read enough of PI to know you're all more on the harsh realities side, rather than the "wooo doggie!" side, so I come to you for advice...

So .... how often would you be away?

Superficial Flu
Jan 1, 2014
Probably a few weeks out of the year? It would be hardest for Thanksgiving/Christmas when they're kind of back to back. I just feel like nearly everyone I know who has dogs goes away once a year or so, and then holidays are spent close by. I may be having selective memory however.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
As long as you have someone you trust to watch it, the dog should be fine.

YouSpoonyBard
May 10, 2007
You Killed Anna!

Triangulum posted:

helpful video and advice

Thanks for sharing this!

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Superficial Flu posted:

How far is far away? If it's like a 1-3 hour flight why not take the dog with you on the plane? I just took my pup down on the plane (checked in as my baggage) for a family Christmas and he had a blast, and was unphased by the travel. (Of course this won't work if you're talking really far away)

Superficial Flu
Jan 1, 2014

Tamarillo posted:

How far is far away? If it's like a 1-3 hour flight why not take the dog with you on the plane? I just took my pup down on the plane (checked in as my baggage) for a family Christmas and he had a blast, and was unphased by the travel. (Of course this won't work if you're talking really far away)

It's two hours and that is for sure an option but, from what I've read, it seems like its generally recommended not to fly with pets. I know like once or twice year isn't a lot, but it still seems like too much? Again, I might be way overthinking this -- especially since my family keeps telling me it's not fair to the dog, and it'll get lonely, etc. It seems like its not the end of the world, though, which goes a long way to assuage my fears.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
You're over thinking it. There's nothing wrong with boarding a dog or leaving it with a sitter once or twice a year and most dogs would probably be fine on such a short flight. Your dog won't die of heartbreak if you leave it with someone else.

Flying with pets isn't a huge deal either but it can be pretty expensive and some airlines have restrictions regarding what planes dogs can fly on as well as weather restrictions. When I flew my dog from Germany to the US we had to drive to the next city over because Bremen's airport didn't have planes with heated cargo compartments.

E: Yeah I just got mine back from being boarded for two weeks (second time this year) and they're fine. They actually had such a good time that they threw a fit when it was time to leave the boarding kennel

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 13, 2015

mcswizzle
Jul 26, 2009

Superficial Flu posted:

It's two hours and that is for sure an option but, from what I've read, it seems like its generally recommended not to fly with pets. I know like once or twice year isn't a lot, but it still seems like too much? Again, I might be way overthinking this -- especially since my family keeps telling me it's not fair to the dog, and it'll get lonely, etc. It seems like its not the end of the world, though, which goes a long way to assuage my fears.

We boarded our two dogs during our wedding week (6 days total IIRC), and again had them sat for for 10 days while we went on our honeymoon (about 5 months apart), no worse for the wear. Honestly, I'd swear they're better behaved with others than they are at home.

I had fears that they would forget me, or not be excited to see me after my wife moved down to TX (I moved about two months in advance of her for work), and it was completely unfounded. They still love me way more than they love her (proven by the fact that they both cuddle with me at night and stick their feet in her face)

Superficial Flu
Jan 1, 2014
Thanks all! I think it all just hit me like "OMG this is real and I have no idea what I'm doing" (I do, I just worry, obviously). Assuming all goes well, I'll post pictures as a thank you.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
So its a about time for my puppy to be spayed. The local vet that I usually use quotes $263 for the entire process but the local SPCA center will charge $63. What I'm wondering what the major difference is? Should I just bring her to the cheaper place and save $200? thanks

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

hatty posted:

So its a about time for my puppy to be spayed. The local vet that I usually use quotes $263 for the entire process but the local SPCA center will charge $63. What I'm wondering what the major difference is? Should I just bring her to the cheaper place and save $200? thanks

The lower-cost center is likely subsidized and may have income cutoffs - that's how my local humane society works. Low cost spay/neuter clinics are usually high volume and may not do as much in terms of bloodwork/aftercare as your local vet.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.

hatty posted:

I did this and $60 turned into $200 because the $60 didn't include blood work or IV fluids. Make sure the $63 really includes everything before you go that route.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
thank you guys
I found a nice middle ground $155 that was recommended to me by coworker and it includes blood work. so I'll just stay away from the cheapest one

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Uh. Guitar as a tool of puppy discipline - does not work in the long run.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
What do you guys use for couch covers? We got one that has straps but it doesnt cover the full couch and comes off easily since he jumps on and off a lot.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Munkaboo posted:

What do you guys use for couch covers? We got one that has straps but it doesnt cover the full couch and comes off easily since he jumps on and off a lot.

We got rid of our cloth couch and got a leather one. Problem solved.

Edit: re: dog boarding:

I had a job that would require me to be gone 3-4 days about once a month. I just found a good daycare to board them at and it wasn't a problem. They liked the place so much that as soon as we'd get there the dogs would just run off to the play area to go see their BFFs on staff without a second thought that I was leaving them.

Problem! fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 17, 2015

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Hello, puppy thread! I am considering getting a puppy- one of my mom's coworkers has a teacup chihuahua that has had puppies. I wouldn't be choosing one until they're ready to leave home, obviously, but I'd like some opinions. I live in a small house (very small- a kitchen, bathroom and bedroom are all I have) but I do have a very sizable yard. I am home 80% of the time, and I have one older cat (male, neutered, 10 years old, total sweetheart) and a budgie. I'm wondering if the puppy would be a good fit for me. I need a dog that is pretty good at entertaining themself, but that is affectionate and friendly. I also need a dog that is easily trained to do most basic commands (sit, stay, down, heel). I don't usually have people over very often, but once a week my significant other and my friends come by for a few hours.

My main concerns with getting this puppy is how it would affect Momo (my cat). I want him and the puppy to get on well, and I'd love it if they were buddies. Could I please get some advice and opinions?

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Sociopastry posted:

Hello, puppy thread! I am considering getting a puppy- one of my mom's coworkers has a teacup chihuahua that has had puppies. I wouldn't be choosing one until they're ready to leave home, obviously, but I'd like some opinions. I live in a small house (very small- a kitchen, bathroom and bedroom are all I have) but I do have a very sizable yard. I am home 80% of the time, and I have one older cat (male, neutered, 10 years old, total sweetheart) and a budgie. I'm wondering if the puppy would be a good fit for me. I need a dog that is pretty good at entertaining themself, but that is affectionate and friendly. I also need a dog that is easily trained to do most basic commands (sit, stay, down, heel). I don't usually have people over very often, but once a week my significant other and my friends come by for a few hours.

My main concerns with getting this puppy is how it would affect Momo (my cat). I want him and the puppy to get on well, and I'd love it if they were buddies. Could I please get some advice and opinions?

A puppy, and particularly a chi, sounds like a poor fit if you want an easily-trained, sociable dog. You definitely can train and socialize Chihuahuas, but they're not easy to housebreak and need a lot of socialization and a bit of luck to get a good temperament. Plus teacup anything is a red flag in a breeder - breeding for the smallest possible dogs results in unintended health issues.

If you're open to an older dog, look for one at the shelter of the appropriate size who is ridiculously friendly and cat-tested. If you're interested in a purebred puppy, get a Havanese - they're probably the most stable toy dog temperament-wise while not being dumb as a box of rocks, overly barky, or having a lot of health conditions.

Engineer Lenk fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 18, 2015

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Thanks! I think I'll wait until I can find a good shelter dog, then.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

What. The. gently caress. It's been exactly 4 weeks since we adopted Waffle. Today he suddenly got really aggressive and barked his head off at my dad this morning. The dog sleeps near the stairs and my dad could only make it down halfway until the dog started barking like crazy. We have no idea how to deal with this or what triggered it. He's been a relaxed and chill dog that has the run of the house (but he stays confined to the main floor because he's incapable of doing long stairs) and we haven't had the need to crate him. He's gotten along with all 4 members of the household (my parents, my brother and I) and has displayed absolutely nothing but affection. When meeting new people, he's completely relaxed and normal curious. Maybe 1 out of 10 dogs he meets on the street he'll get angry and barky so I just steer him away. The only time we've seen this behavior was when we had our family over for Xmas dinner. He seemed friendly with everyone except my old, white French-Canadian uncle (the rest of us are all Vietnamese) which he would not stop barking at. We assumed he had a past trauma with a similar looking person, so we just had him on a leash/close to us and we managed it as best we could. That's the only time we've seen him be such an rear end in a top hat. He's still super happy and nice with my brother and I. We let him out multiple times, but every time he comes back in, without fail he is very reactive to my dad just moving around the kitchen. Having my dad give him treats distracts him for a bit, but once the treats are gone it's back to bark bark mode. I'm at a loss what could have triggered this. I presume the solution is to counter-condition/stuff him full of treats while my dad is around but the whole situation makes no sense because it's not been a thing at all until just now.

Some more background info:

-He's a GSD/Golden mix that is approximately 3 years old and is neutered
-He seems healthy. We had a vet checkup like a week ago and he had a clean bill of health. He has his appetite and eats everything.
-Lack of exercise may have triggered it because we stopped walking him while we loose leash training, but he's been progressing nicely and he had two short sessions and plenty of yard time (both me chasing and playing with the dog and him sniffing around the yard looking for buried treats in the snow)
-He barks in the middle of the night at 4am when the newspaper guy delivers, but doesn't bat an eyelash to the doorbell/when the UPS guy delivers during the day.
-He was fine literal hours ago. My brother was out last night and he came home around 5am. He was completely relaxed.
-Sleeping Routine: Well the only difference is for the past week we've blocked off the living room/stair area because he had repeated accidents on the living room carpet. Last night was the first time I gave him access again.

Any advice or tips or analysis on the situation would be very appreciated. We've been forced to confine him outside for now and he just sits on our patio making puppy eyes through our kitchen door. Temporary solutions such as avoiding dog/dad contact is problematic because he's an idiot that can't come downstairs to the basement. Googling for some answers has proven unfruitful between advice that is too general and pro/con alpha rolling nonsense.

Summary: Calm dog all of a sudden is aggressive towards my dad. What happened?

Xtanstic fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 18, 2015

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Engineer Lenk posted:

If you're open to an older dog, look for one at the shelter of the appropriate size who is ridiculously friendly and cat-tested. If you're interested in a purebred puppy, get a Havanese - they're probably the most stable toy dog temperament-wise while not being dumb as a box of rocks, overly barky, or having a lot of health conditions.

I second this idea. I got a Havanese puppy in November and he's been awesome. He responded really well to training (although he hasn't quite figured out that you're meant to stay in your crate not just walk in, spin, and walk out) and is totally fine with lying around the house most of the day as long as he gets two walks (or a walk and a play / run session in the backyard every day). He's also stupidly sociable with people, never barks and was 95% toilet trained pretty much as soon as we brought him home. In comparison to the idiot Maltese I had when I was a kid, my Havanese is a flawless, angel dog.

Havanese do need brushing a few times a week so make sure you look up grooming techniques and stuff like that but other than that they're pretty low maintenance.

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013
WHATEVER HAPPENED ON DISCORD, I WAS NOT INVOLVED

My recent pup acquisition has this small red mark on his belly, At first i assumed it was just from his umbilical cord but now i noticed its kind of like a small pouch, is this something i should be worried about?.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
That looks like a hernia to me. Vet time!

DerVerrater
Feb 19, 2013
WHATEVER HAPPENED ON DISCORD, I WAS NOT INVOLVED
Thankfully i have an appointment for thursday, he shows no signs of distress as far as i can tell should i try and rush to see it or hold off till then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

I'm picking up this little monster Saturday and I'm wondering if anyone has any input if the banfield puppy wellness plan is a good deal. Right now the gf and I are thinking that it's probably better just to use the vet I've been taking my cat to since they seem pretty competent and inexpensive anyways.

Anyone have any experience with border collie puppies? Our plan is to wear her out physically and mentally and focus on training and agility stuff. And socialization as much as possible without exposing her to sketchy dogs or places frequented by them until she's fully vaccinated. We're also going to start off feeding her only through training rewards and a kong wobbler and eventually a slo-bowl maze type dish to keep her on her toes.