Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I'm cautiously optimistic about next season. Arizona should be better, but it all depends on how the secondary and retooled offensive line come together. Anu is going to improve (he was great through most of the season, though he faded down the stretch), and the skill positions are deep as hell. Scooby's back, too, to terrorize Pac-12 offenses, which should help the defense a bunch. We also miss Oregon on the schedule, though we play @Stanford and @Washington. I mean, this year was a success beyond what anyone could have reasonably hoped for. Next year has the potential to be better.

ROSE BOWL???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Halah posted:

Yeah, Zeke had something like 900 yards in the last four games, setting records in the last three, which is just madness. You can't really count on that over a whole season.

Pfft, Zeke is totally going to break Barry's record by 300 yards. And given that Zeke put up all those yards against elite teams, he's obviously going to average 300 against the Hawaiis and Indianas of the world.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

chaoslord posted:

You mean the cool and good playoff system, right?

I like seeing Arkansas in those preseason polls. I know they are meaningless but I like to imagine they will help us draw in a better OC or at least help avoid a worse one. Now we just have to make sure Bert doesn't go anywhere near a motorcycle, although I bet that one is not very hard.

Why is September 5th so far away? :(

I hope that both Arkansas and Tennessee are still ranked when they play. The Vols have to play at the Swamp and they have OU at home, while Texas A&M looks to be Arkansas' toughest game before Tennessee. So I think it looks doubtful, but I'm not buying Tennessee as a top 25 team until they prove it.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Detroit_Dogg posted:

They were the youngest team in the nation I think.

Yeah. They had freshman all over the place. Their QB is going to be really good.

Also on that game, there was a UT fan at the bar I was at and he was by far the nicest opposing fan I've ever interacted with, which is saying something given how nice Big Ten fans generally are. I kept watching that beating for way longer than I would have otherwise just because he was such a friendly dude and I was enjoying drinking and talking about football with him. He spent the whole pregame talking about what a great program Iowa was and how worried he was about the game, which I guess says something about how far Tennessee has fallen. So anyway I guess go Vols and go that dude.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
One of ESPNs anchors just asked Kiper if Elliot should sit out next year since he can't enter the draft yet...What? Also all of the analyst are riding the Cardale hype train saying a good second round pick.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
The things I look forward to next season are Harold Brantley and Drew Lock wishcasting

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rad Valtar posted:

One of ESPNs anchors just asked Kiper if Elliot should sit out next year since he can't enter the draft yet...What? Also all of the analyst are riding the Cardale hype train saying a good second round pick.

I gotta think that's gonna cool off, but I suppose there's something to be said for not giving people a chance to pick apart your flaws. That is such an absurdly tiny sample size though.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MourningView posted:

I gotta think that's gonna cool off, but I suppose there's something to be said for not giving people a chance to pick apart your flaws. That is such an absurdly tiny sample size though.

I wonder if the small sample size will end up helping him even more than that though.

Like a GM telling himself "Ok, this guy is huge, has a monster arm, has done very well against elite competition, and he doesn't have much wear and tear on him despite his play style."

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Cardale Jones is a redshirt sophomore, huh?

Honestly... it's not the craziest idea in the world for him to declare right now. I mean, it's not a good idea for his development as a professional player, he clearly needs more experience, but his hype is through the roof, his stock can literally only go down from here.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

nate fisher posted:

I hope that both Arkansas and Tennessee are still ranked when they play. The Vols have to play at the Swamp and they have OU at home, while Texas A&M looks to be Arkansas' toughest game before Tennessee. So I think it looks doubtful, but I'm not buying Tennessee as a top 25 team until they prove it.

:getin:

The streak must live on

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
A small sample size that likely won't get much bigger unless Barrett just falls apart altogether physically. Definitely needs to declare and bank on his hype. Then he has to perform well at camp or he'll just float into obscurity like Tajh :smith:

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

JT Jag posted:

Cardale Jones is a redshirt sophomore, huh?

Honestly... it's not the craziest idea in the world for him to declare right now. I mean, it's not a good idea for his development as a professional player, he clearly needs more experience, but his hype is through the roof, his stock can literally only go down from here.

If I were Jones I'd declare. There's no guarantee he's the starter next year considering Miller and Barrett will be healed up. If you declare you get a team to take a flyer on you in the 2nd-4th round (maybe higher since the position is so shallow this year,) draw a salary while holding a clipboard for the next few years while being able to cash in on every Ohio endorsement in existence and at worst be a washout/perennial NFL backup that keeps cashing checks. Considering his youth/inexperience he would probably be on the Rodgers plan with at least three years of waiting before he would have any expectations from a team standpoint.

If he stays and starts he would be a guaranteed top 5 pick if he comes close to the success Ohio State had this year, but that's a lot of ifs.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

MourningView posted:

like you said there are worse ways to waste a mid to late round pick than on a dude thats got some good arm strength and size

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

CubsWoo posted:

If I were Jones I'd declare. There's no guarantee he's the starter next year considering Miller and Barrett will be healed up. If you declare you get a team to take a flyer on you in the 2nd-4th round (maybe higher since the position is so shallow this year,) draw a salary while holding a clipboard for the next few years while being able to cash in on every Ohio endorsement in existence and at worst be a washout/perennial NFL backup that keeps cashing checks. Considering his youth/inexperience he would probably be on the Rodgers plan with at least three years of waiting before he would have any expectations from a team standpoint.

If he stays and starts he would be a guaranteed top 5 pick if he comes close to the success Ohio State had this year, but that's a lot of ifs.

I think if you get a team with an aging QB where he can sit for a few years behind a guy like say Drew Brees and get paired with a good QB coach why wouldn't you take a flyer on him.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Great White Hope posted:

I wonder if the small sample size will end up helping him even more than that though.

Like a GM telling himself "Ok, this guy is huge, has a monster arm, has done very well against elite competition, and he doesn't have much wear and tear on him despite his play style."
There's a reason he was the third-stringer. Doesn't mean he's a bad player (he's pretty good, obviously), but it's going to raise some eyebrows.

The Cardale Jones story is completely bonkers, though, so I could totally see something very silly happening with him.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I can't tell if people are just being funny or they actually think TCU would've beaten Ohio State....

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Mahoning posted:

I can't tell if people are just being funny or they actually think TCU would've beaten Ohio State....

What would lead you to doubt they could?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Mahoning posted:

well if VT can who couldn't

(besides Oregon and Alabama lololololol)

(TCU #1)

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Scarf posted:

I don't doubt that they COULD. But it was pretty obvious that with the way Ohio State played at the end of the year, I don't think anyone was going to beat them. I mean, they completely shut down the Heisman Trophy winner last night and probably could've won 63-20 had they not tripped over their dicks for 3 quarters. I think an OSU-TCU game would have played out similarly.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Mahoning posted:

Did you watch the snuff film that TCU filmed for the Peach Bowl?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Penn State took Ohio State to double overtime without any functional offense so I'm pretty sure TCU had a chance

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Cardale may be a redshirt sophomore, but he's actually 22 years old due to his prep school time. Staying 2 more years would actually be a negative in NFL scouts eyes.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

To be fair Ole Miss got shut out by Arkansas.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Nah man you don't understand USC OSU is the best team of all time Texas TCU would have gotten obliterated.

EDIT: wrong game which one am I thinking about

EDIT 2: there we go

Strobe fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 13, 2015

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Strobe posted:

Nah man you don't understand USC OSU is the best team of all time Oklahoma TCU would have gotten obliterated.

OU did get obliterated, I think you mean Auburn. Which is also true.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Yeah but they played a team from that garbage conference. I can't even remember what its called anymore.......

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MourningView posted:

OU did get obliterated, I think you mean Auburn. Which is also true.

I think he actually means Texas.

That said, TCU didn't belong in the playoff. If you're going to argue a Big 12 team should have been in, you have to go with Baylor by virtue of them beating TCU.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Scarf posted:

It's entirely possible, as much as it's possible for any major team to beat any other major team.
There's no argument to made for it beyond the theoretical. Every team TCU beat finished the season with 4+ losses.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jan 13, 2015

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Ole Miss was pretty bad by the end of the season, though.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Xombie posted:

It's entirely possible, as much as it's possible for any major team to beat any other major team.
There's no argument to made for it beyond the theoretical. Every team TCU beat finished the season with 4+ losses.

Did you watch TCU play at all this year? They woodshedded just as many teams as Ohio State, and often more severely and had similar close-calls.

The only notable difference is that they didn't lose to Virginia Tech.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Scarf posted:

Did you watch TCU play at all this year? They woodshedded just as many teams as Ohio State, and often more severely and had similar close-calls.

Yeah but the important thing is that they will have a sweet co-champion banner to unveil, and didn't have to split the money with lesser teams that could have given them a champ game.

sexy mouse
Sep 18, 2008

sexy eye~
sexy nose~
sexy mouse~
don't you know~
Did Cardale Jones have the biggest arm of anyone who played last season?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Great White Hope posted:

I think he actually means Texas.

That said, TCU didn't belong in the playoff. If you're going to argue a Big 12 team should have been in, you have to go with Baylor by virtue of them beating TCU.

A 3 point loss to Baylor on the road isn't exactly conclusive as hell so we're going with the team that wasn't likely to poo poo the bed again in a bowl(sorry aff)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I am severely disappointed in the lack of sad_oregon_fan.png/gifs.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
TCU in conference play:

Points for: 428
Points against: 223
Average margin per game: 22.7 points

TCU did some major asskicking this year.

OSU lost to Virginia Tech by two touchdowns.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

I'm cautiously optimistic about next season. Arizona should be better, but it all depends on how the secondary and retooled offensive line come together. Anu is going to improve (he was great through most of the season, though he faded down the stretch), and the skill positions are deep as hell. Scooby's back, too, to terrorize Pac-12 offenses, which should help the defense a bunch. We also miss Oregon on the schedule, though we play @Stanford and @Washington. I mean, this year was a success beyond what anyone could have reasonably hoped for. Next year has the potential to be better.

ROSE BOWL???

The Pac-12 South is going to be ridiculous next year.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

go3 posted:

A 3 point loss to Baylor on the road isn't exactly conclusive as hell so we're going with the team that wasn't likely to poo poo the bed again in a bowl(sorry aff)

Going into this year Baylor had a more recent bowl win against a vaguely meaningful team though?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Scarf posted:

Ohio State beat 3 teams that finished in the AP Top 5. TCU didn't beat a single team in the top 15.

That doesn't say much except that TCU didn't really play many good teams, meanwhile Ohio State poo poo housed 2 of the 3 teams they played that finished in the top 5. Oh and the #13 team too. By a larger margin than TCU's Peach Bowl win.

sexy mouse
Sep 18, 2008

sexy eye~
sexy nose~
sexy mouse~
don't you know~
I don't get why people mentioning the VT loss. The only thing the team that lost to VT and the one that played last night have in common are the uniforms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Xombie posted:

Gary Patterson's a defensive wizard, and the offense was one of the best in the country. It's not a stretch to think that a guy who's made a living beating spread offenses could win against Ohio State.

Anyway this will be resolved when TCU and Ohio State make the playoffs next season.

• Locked thread