Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

Well, now I have no clue where I got the idea that the Overmind was eating humans in order to fill out the Zerg portfolio of shitwreckers with something to counter Protoss psionics. Literally 16 years of preconceptions about nerd crap are crumbling to nothing around me and idk what is real anymore...
You got it directly from the Starcraft 1 manual. The whole overmind post-death-hail-mary thing only just popped up in SC2; from 1996-2011 it was just kind of a weird plothole that the Overmind infested a psychic specifically to work as anti-protoss and then kept them at home all campaign.
That said, if you don't mind half-manufacturing your own plot points you could say that Kerrigan was kept around on Charr specifically to kill the Dark Templar that were sneaking around on it until halfway through the Protoss campaign, given that they'd proven to be the only Protoss that were directly dangerous to the swarm itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Neruz posted:

Yeah, Terrans evolved naturally and remember they all got tinkered with by a mad scientist as well and as a result are unstable as all hell, he's used to working with nice clean Zerg genetics which have been carefully honed and trimmed of extraneous uselessness over the ages.

His comments on Abominations are hilarious because he knows they're hideously inefficient he just doesn't want to waste time on making them better.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Drakyn posted:

You got it directly from the Starcraft 1 manual. The whole overmind post-death-hail-mary thing only just popped up in SC2; from 1996-2011 it was just kind of a weird plothole that the Overmind infested a psychic specifically to work as anti-protoss and then kept them at home all campaign.

You sure? I really don't remember the Overmind ever explaining why he went to all the extra trouble with Kerrigan beyond talking up how amazingly powerful she'd be and ergo useful.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Neruz posted:

If Kerrigan dies his whole plan to free the Zerg goes to poo poo, why would he risk her life like that after the hard part (the infestation) is over?

I'm pretty sure the 'eating humans to match psionic might with the Protoss' was an aborted part of the storyline that never made it into the game. (Much like the Eredar :v:)

I agree. That's why I am saying that the oddities of how SC1 played out make sense in light of the WoL retcon. If Kerrigan is part of a plan to make the Zerg strong enough to match the Protoss in psychic power, then it makes no sense to leave her on Char where she is of no help in attacking the Protoss where they're strongest. If she's part of a much longer term plan with much bigger stakes, and she is not specifically helpful for fighting the Protoss, then the story as it unfolded makes more sense. So this other thing is just a vestigial story idea that slipped into the manual (and the WoL retcon is really just patching up a plot hole).

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Drakyn posted:

That said, if you don't mind half-manufacturing your own plot points you could say that Kerrigan was kept around on Charr specifically to kill the Dark Templar that were sneaking around on it until halfway through the Protoss campaign, given that they'd proven to be the only Protoss that were directly dangerous to the swarm itself.

The reason given in the campaign for leaving Kerrigan behind was to hunt down the remaining Protoss on Char who had killed Zasz; just checked an LP :v:

Neruz fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 13, 2015

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Kurieg posted:

His comments on Abominations are hilarious because he knows they're hideously inefficient he just doesn't want to waste time on making them better.

It's just a shame every Zerg side character is better written than Kerrigan herself. Even like Izzsha, who barely even constitutes a character.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Neruz posted:

The reason given in the campaign for leaving Kerrigan behind was to hunt down the remaining Protoss on Char who had tried unsuccessfully to kill him; just checked an LP :v:

On the assumption that she's specifically an anti-Protoss psychic weapon, that's still dumb because she'd be much more helpful in attacking the homeworld of all Protoss. You don't need anything that important to hunt DTs, they don't even have Corsairs covering them. Just make a bunch of Overlords and fill them with hydralisks or something.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Well it was explicitly Tassadar and Zeratul; two of the most powerful Protoss ever that she was trying to hunt down. :shrug:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Well, then there's another problem. If the Overmind needs her to take on the Protoss, it might be better to just let these two gently caress around on Char while the Zerg take over Aiur with her help because it might not be possible without her. However, given that the Overmind didn't need her to do that, and she is instead part of a longer-term plan, it's probably better to not risk her life by having her on Aiur. Except, now it's leaving her to fight two of the most powerful Protoss all by herself, which is arguably a greater risk.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

GunnerJ posted:

Well, then there's another problem. If the Overmind needs her to take on the Protoss, it might be better to just let these two gently caress around on Char while the Zerg take over Aiur with her help because it might not be possible without her. However, given that the Overmind didn't need her to do that, and she is instead part of a longer-term plan, it's probably better to not risk her life by having her on Aiur. Except, now it's leaving her to fight two of the most powerful Protoss all by herself, which is arguably a greater risk.

As it turned out they both legged it during the previous mission so she just wastes her time mopping up remaining Protoss forces because nothing in the universe can find Zeratul if he don't want to be found, whether the Overmind knew that or not is unknown.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

You could probably assume he also figured that out while he was getting the location of Aiur.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Feinne posted:

You could probably assume he also figured that out while he was getting the location of Aiur.

Or by the lack of corpses; he hangs around to oversee a trap set by the player using Kerrigan as bait and then leaves after Kerrigan wipes out the majority of the Protoss forces and the Swarm is prepped to attack Aiur. Zeratul has a little chat with Kerrigan while shes trying to catch him but it's probably clear to something as smart as the Overmind that the two have escaped by the time he leaves.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Neruz posted:

You sure? I really don't remember the Overmind ever explaining why he went to all the extra trouble with Kerrigan beyond talking up how amazingly powerful she'd be and ergo useful.

I still have my SC manual, so I looked it up. Unfortunately, it's in German, so please excuse my perhaps not 100% accurate translation.

So the Zerg kill the Xel'naga over the orbit of the "ash-world Zerus", after the Xel'naga tinkered with the Zerg parasites that were able to survive the fire-storms of their homeworld. The Overmind directs his Zerg to attack and assimilate the Xel'naga, and he learns from their assimilated members about another race that his creators shaped. The Zerg left the "dead, burning world Zerus" and began to assimilate all kinds of species they found. But the Overmind was restless because he "knew, that the Protoss had developed into a race with powerful psionics, who could even shape space-time to their will. He searched for a way to counter the seemingly overwhelming and unbeatable might of the Protoss", but couldn't find anything in the races he assimilated so far. Then he learned of the Terrans, who were on the way to develop great psi-powers. That made them his prime target and here begins the story of SC1.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I meant outside of the manual in the actual game's story itself because that part of the plot doesn't seem to have made it into the game despite being in the manual.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Another detail that did not make it out of the manual is the "ash-world" Zerus, apparently.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Lies! Everyone knows that Zerus is a generic jungle planet full of disappointment and stupidity. :cry:

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Blizzard's new CEO monetized the whole thing into the ground with the arena function for competitive sports. It was the broad low-level UMS community that fielded the base needed for the more competitive games to work.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Poil posted:

Lies! Everyone knows that Zerus is a generic jungle planet full of disappointment and stupidity. :cry:
Patience, good goon.

We still have time before we get to HotS. Then we can see who can set the land speed record of "fastest time to split your skull open on your desk because of stupid".

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Neruz posted:

One thing the books mention that Heart of the Swarm does support is that the Overmind was also considering the potential of infested humans as Swarm subcommanders, subordinate to Cerebrates but able to direct smaller forces or handle special projects which require innovative thinking and initiative. Kerrigan and one character who is a HotS spoiler and was introduced in a later-canonized series of SC1 bonus missions were examples. Kerrigan herself continued the idea with Izsha, Duran (which... didn't turn out like she expected), and a couple book characters.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

GunnerJ posted:

Another detail that did not make it out of the manual is the "ash-world" Zerus, apparently.

Poil posted:

Well yes and no; we'll have to wait till HotS to really talk about Zerus but the key point is that it was an ash world like Char when the Zerg were first created. Now while we have no absolute date for when this happened it was at least hundreds of thousands of years prior to the present, probably millions of years ago. It really shouldn't come as any surprise that Zerus has undergone a little climate change.

That said, Metzen has called out Zerus in HotS as being one area where major compromises had to be made and he's really not happy with how some aspects of that turned out, but we can talk about it when we get to HotS.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

The actual missions themselves are super fun, so at least there's that.

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
:siren:Voting:siren:

In the previous video I forgot to include the next mission vote, so we've got to make up for that now. We didn't get any new mission choices after completing the Haven chain, but we still have to choose from the two we passed up on last time.

Mission

Cutthroat
3 Protoss Research
120,000 Credits
New unit: Vulture

The Moebius Factor
3 Zerg Research
120,000 Credits
New Unit: Medivac

Voting will end Wednesday January 14th at 11:00 pm PST

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

The Moebius Factor because the thread needs to see the awful meta that is MMM.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Moebius

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Spudd posted:

M&Ms were so good in Brood War that Blizzard decided to add an extra M and make one of them fly!

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Neruz posted:

M&Ms were so good in Brood War that Blizzard decided to add an extra M and make one of them fly!

By awful I mean that it was every single match.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Spudd posted:

By awful I mean that it was every single match.

MMM is pretty much the backbone of Terran compositions and unless you're one of those insane nutjobs who goes pure mech you will pretty much always be using at least some of your army comp as MMMs because they are just so drat good.

Even if you're pure meching you'll probably go MMM for awhile until you can transition fully to mech.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Spudd posted:

MMM? Is that some mind of pro-strat 300 APM thing?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

CommissarMega posted:

MMM? Is that some mind of pro-strat 300 APM thing?

Marines, Marauders and Medivacs.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The Moebius Factor. Because poo poo is going to get serious, I can't be bothered to care about unimportant stuff like Cutthroat.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I say Moebius because it looks cool when you carry a siege tank around with a medivac.

Feinne posted:

The actual missions themselves are super fun, so at least there's that.

Except the "Wait 30 minutes" one that is in every Blizzard game

I find those ones unfun out of sheer principle.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Kill all mech players. Cover the earth in their blood and broken bodies so that the heavens can see their putrid stain on the face of creation.

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
MMM stands for marine/marauder/medivac, which is a popular composition for Terran players. It's especially popular because all the units start with the same letter, so you feel cool while using them.

It's also popular because marines backed up with healing are extremely powerful against most units. Marauders added in can help buffer and alleviate some of the weaknesses of marines. Using marauders instead of another unit like tanks allows you to keep the incredible mobility afforded to you with marines. People are mentioning MMM because it is a simple and viable unit composition that one can use in every single game. It might not always be optimal, but there aren't many ways to completely nullify a MMM army.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The Medivacs also give an MMM army even more mobility since they can pick up a bunch of mans and fly around with them; this can allow canny Terran players to launch some really nasty multidirectional assaults or raid every single one of your bases at the same time. There's usually a good window during the midgame after MMM comes out where it can run rampant over most of the map and good Terrans can often leverage that to gain a very advantageous position and wreak havoc on the enemy's economy.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Voting for The Moebius Factor. Time to see Medivacs in action, plus they should benefit most of the other missions as well.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The other fun thing about Medivacs in singleplayer of course is that their two upgrades are stupid overpowered. Combined with the Cellular Reactor they will be a hell of a thing to see in action.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Cutthroat because dammit, I want to find out what secrets that robot lady is hiding!

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
The Moebius Factor I wanna see some sick drops!

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Cutthroat, because we need to find out more stuff about our lady shaped robot buddy.

Also I think you forgot to show off the armory animations for our new muta destroyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Cutthroat because vultures should be in this game.

• Locked thread