Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Toshimo posted:

Legacy could use a shakeup as it is losing watchability and, frankly, there's just too much consistency afforded by Brainstorm. Discard needs to be stronger and decks need to not have the ridiculous redundancy. Please, Wizards, deliver us from Stoneblade/Delver/Show/Miracles.
oh god please
Banning brainstorm would be hilarious. It's gonna be Cruise and Dig, though. If Cruise is too good for Modern it's too good for Legacy, since ponder and brainstorm are better than Serum Visions. Dig, too, is just an "I'm ready to win the game now" card for Miracles.

Legacy is boring as poo poo now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

BJPaskoff posted:

I can't believe how many people replied to someone suggesting that Wizards would unban JTMS in Modern just so they could raise the prices of MMA2.
MMA2 posts have largely been hilarious in this thread so maybe they just couldn't tell the difference anymore.

I still can't get over the fact that we're less than 2 months to another spoiler season though.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

mcmagic posted:

Now we've come to your problem heh.
Nighthowler making Sidisi or Hornet Queen into a 12/12 is a problem I am willing to accept.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Standard: None
Modern: +Cruise -Troll
Legacy: +Brainstorm
Vintage: None
EDH: Don't even bother to update the website for 6 months.

Honestly, the Treasure Cruise is powerful and all, and I fully expect it to be banned, but if I had my way, Pod would be banned as well. I have really grown to hate that card and that deck. It has consistently been a top performer and I am just tired of seeing it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Yawgmoth posted:

Nighthowler making Sidisi or Hornet Queen into a 12/12 is a problem I am willing to accept.

That sounds like the deck I was playing the first week of KTK standard before i switched to the Constellation shell. It's just a ton more consistent.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Madmarker posted:

Honestly, the Treasure Cruise is powerful and all, and I fully expect it to be banned, but if I had my way, Pod would be banned as well. I have really grown to hate that card and that deck. It has consistently been a top performer and I am just tired of seeing it.

Pod isn't that big a deal when the rest of the format isn't horribly warped.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Pod isn't that big a deal when the rest of the format isn't horribly warped.

Even before Cruise was printed I disliked the deck. Before Cruise was printed it was powerful and putting up lots of top 8's. Admittedly Cruise is a larger problem, but there is no deck I have less enjoyment in watching, playing, or playing against in modern than Pod. I know its popular, I know it is skill testing, I just find it bland and over represented.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Madmarker posted:

Even before Cruise was printed I disliked the deck. Before Cruise was printed it was powerful and putting up lots of top 8's. Admittedly Cruise is a larger problem, but there is no deck I have less enjoyment in watching, playing, or playing against in modern than Pod. I know its popular, I know it is skill testing, I just find it bland and over represented.

Twin is the best deck to play vs Pod but it's not really all that popular right now...

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

mcmagic posted:

That sounds like the deck I was playing the first week of KTK standard before i switched to the Constellation shell. It's just a ton more consistent.
Got a decklist for that? I probably have the cards for it since I made a run at G/B Constellation before it was a thing (and got almost all the cards for it for like $2 total :woop:)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Yawgmoth posted:

Got a decklist for that? I probably have the cards for it since I made a run at G/B Constellation before it was a thing (and got almost all the cards for it for like $2 total :woop:)

I started with Reid Duke's list from the players championship.

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/deck.asp?deck_id=1226140

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
B&R Prediction: Treasure Cruise banned, Bloodbraid Elf unbanned.

I suspect they'll say that Dig is on notice depending on how it works out.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

B&R Prediction: Treasure Cruise banned, Bloodbraid Elf unbanned.

Lmao there is no way

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Lmao there is no way

You'll say that right until it happens.

Also, I need to stop reflexively casting Thoughtseize with a Chalice on 1 sitting out.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Madmarker posted:

I know it is skill testing, I just find it bland and over represented.

These seem like contradictory ideas. If the deck with perhaps the largest decision tree possible is "bland" to you, what the hell kind of deck will satisfy your lust for novelty?

I'm genuinely curious, because I've been trying to find a plausible answer in my head by constructing sentences in the form, "Pod is really bland, but BURN is really interesting!" and none of them are valid ideas.

I just don't get all the hate for Pod in general. It might be consistent, but it's not degenerate. If you aren't worried about 75% of the field being delver, Pod is something you can sideboard against VERY easily. I can't fathom how it could be called boring when it probably has the most twisty and interesting playlines possible with a repeatable tutor on board and every creature has relevant text (contrasting with things like Tarmogoyf that are, when you get down to it, pretty boring as just a vanilla undercosted creature....amazing creature nonetheless, but nothing else happens).

The only argument I ever hear that is SOMEWHAT valid is, "I'm sick of losing to Pod." Fair enough, but is a ban really the appropriate reaction? If this is really a consistent problem, then I see that as a symptom of your deck construction or play being poor, you should not be losing EVERY match to a given deck (unless it's just one of those auto-scoop matches, like when I see Sneak&Show in Legacy with my Elves deck.....but you don't bitch for a ban there, you just accept that as an inevitability of your deck choice).

If it's not your play style, so be it, but you don't get to cry to ban an entire deck into oblivion because of that. I think Affinity is boring as gently caress all (as with most aggro decks), but I'm not demanding we start a bonfire of Arcbound Ravagers. Twin is also incredibly boring to me in that it can only really win through its combo, and Pod has a rough matchup against that.....but it's fine. There's going to be Scissors to cut my Paper and I just build as best I can to fight that and I think my history with that matchup is something like 35% win, which was worse before I put a Spellskite in the main.

When you get down to it, I guess what I hear from most people aren't any actual arguments but, "I don't like a thing, ban it so other people can't have fun their way."

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I probably wouldn't have a problem with banning nothing and just unbanning something like BBE either to see if they can change the meta around to let Cruise exist and not destroy the format. Mostly because I'm selfish and enjoy winning a lot with Pod and eliminating Delver as a the top strategy would just result in more control and other bad matchups. (No but really, Cruise is getting banned and it probably should)

The funniest thing they could do is ban Delver of Secrets.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 13, 2015

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Heisenator posted:

Any thoughts on what Fate Reforged cards might fit into, or alter, the current standard U/B Control or G/B Whip decks? Those are the two I primarily play.

I still wonder if there's a place in standard - and the GB deck - for the saber tooth. Whip something into play then bounce it so you can get its ETB again, or keep drawing extra cards with eidolon.

Edit: oh, and I also hypothesized about Alesha, who smiles at Death being interesting enough to turn the deck Jund.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 13, 2015

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I think he said bland when he meant not fun to play, which I disagree with but I'm not going to ostracize someone for their playstyle.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

If they unban BBE my pet deck Seismic swans will be reborn in modern, but lol that'll be the day.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Weren't people calling for a Jeskai Ascendancy ban in Modern a while ago? Did something make the combo worse and now it's not so bad?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Cactrot posted:

Weren't people calling for a Jeskai Ascendancy ban in Modern a while ago? Did something make the combo worse and now it's not so bad?

People learned to prepare for it

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Cactrot posted:

People were calling for it to be banned on the basis of speculation of it being too powerful, which never panned out.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I am glad that birthing pod is the go-to deck for both winning and hating again. It was like that around this time last year too which means it's time to bust out my UWR control deck again. :)

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Basically why go through all the effort of the combo that can get bad draws missing a piece when denver just punched straight through consistently

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Affinity is amazingly fun to both play
and watch and totally deserves the limelight. Watching a bunch of manlands and 1/1s Voltron together to deal 20 damage on turn 4 is beautiful. Watching Dumb Ravager Tricks in the hands of a skilled pilot is entertaining as all get out.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

If you play MODO a lot you learn to hate every deck with a million triggers because your opponent is invariably slow to stack them.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Lmao there is no way

I'm on the same bet. Jund will run it, but it won't have deathrite to ramp. Jund has completely vanished like a loving ghost, and bloodbraid isn't that insane.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

jassi007 posted:

I'm on the same bet. Jund will run it, but it won't have deathrite to ramp. Jund has completely vanished like a loving ghost, and bloodbraid isn't that insane.

If Cruise is banned, Jund and Junk will come back.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Cactrot posted:

I usually just board for it the way I board for Storm. Podding into Eidolon of Rhetoric and hoping they don't have Path to Exile. It seems to work a lot.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Affinity is amazingly fun to both play
and watch and totally deserves the limelight. Watching a bunch of manlands and 1/1s Voltron together to deal 20 damage on turn 4 is beautiful. Watching Dumb Ravager Tricks in the hands of a skilled pilot is entertaining as all get out.

I agree. I wish I was a better player, I love affinity but I'm pretty sure I've hit a ceiling which I don't have the time or effort to get through with it. I find other decks are much easier to play and have solid results with. Affinity is funny, because when you first start playing it you just blow poo poo up and laugh at how insane it is. Then you reach this point with it where you see the good and the bad, and getting past that is something I've never managed. It is partially not falling victim to sideboard hate, being able to work around it, and partially because I don't understand how to sideboard well with that deck. I do much better with Tron or Delver, I just can more clearly see how to SB, and those decks just don't face the sheer mass of hate cards.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

If you play MODO a lot you learn to hate every deck with a million triggers because your opponent is invariably slow to stack them.

Fuuuuuuuuck Tron and Storm.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Fuuuuuuuuck Tron and Storm.

Mostly I get annoyed with Amulet Combo. They just take ages once they get a Titan in play to do anything.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Amulet combo is soo coooool though

A weird part of me wants to brew it and somehow slot in Plow Under to just permanently keep my opponent at 0-1 mana.

E: The johnny part

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Angry Grimace posted:

Mostly I get annoyed with Amulet Combo. They just take ages once they get a Titan in play to do anything.

It could be MTGO's fault. I know sometimes when I crack a fetch or something it sometimes brings up my library immediately and sometimes I have to stare at a blank white screen for 2 minutes while it loads all the images of every card in my deck.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I watched a horizon chimera / knuck / boon satyr deck completely obliterate a bunch of pro decklists at a store recently. I predict that Surrak will hit $5 at some point in the next 6 months. It's a fun list, and I'm going to mess around with it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
While we're making outlandish predictions I predict that someone will win the next pro tour.

But in all seriousness what cards in FRF will affect modern?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Zoness posted:

While we're making outlandish predictions I predict that someone will win the next pro tour.

Lmao yeah right

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zoness posted:

But in all seriousness what cards in FRF will affect modern?

All of them.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Dragons of Tarkir will have a Grey Lotus, which costs 1 and ETB tapped.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Yawgmoth posted:

Dragons of Tarkir will have a Grey Lotus, which costs 1 and ETB tapped.

And empties your mana pool when sacrificed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Gyshall posted:

And empties your mana pool when sacrificed.

Dredge will still find a way to use it to Ken Nagle's eternal rage.

• Locked thread