Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

KiddieGrinder posted:

Han Solo CAN'T be morally ambiguous! He's got to be a HERO! :qq:

Besides only EU toiletlords said Han smuggled spice, so it's their own dumb fault. The movies certainly didn't specify him as a drug dealer, or a "spice smuggler".

I can't believe someone paid to think about Star Wars would miss the point of Han Solo so magnificently. Dude is supposed to start of as a selfish shitheel, his whole loving character arc hinges on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hingehead posted:

To be fair, the rancor part happens a split second in a moment of chao. As for the speeder, they don't outright call it snowspeeder.

Oh yeah I found a few more

- Wicket
- Gammorean Guard
- Bib Fortuna
- Mon Calimari Cruiser
- Prune face
- B Wing ( That we only saw for a split second in a far distance shot)
- A wing
- Blockade Runner
- Tantive IV
- Ugnaught
- Lobot
- Dengar / IG-88 / Bossk / 4 Lom / Zuckess

I actually like the way they did it instead of the successors like transformers which specified the correct name of the toy every time it was mentioned

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Han posted:

What? Of course it's not actual spice, that's just what I call whatever I'm transporting in case imperial spies are ever listening in

Was that really so hard? Everything has to be so stupidly literal

Vvv:
Ah, of course, the sporechildren of the sentient force-sensitive foothills of the planet dunetooine

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 13, 2015

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

KiddieGrinder posted:

Han Solo CAN'T be morally ambiguous! He's got to be a HERO! :qq:

Besides only EU toiletlords said Han smuggled spice, so it's their own dumb fault. The movies certainly didn't specify him as a drug dealer, or a "spice smuggler".

It's just a hamfisted reference to Dune

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
is there a sarlacc jedi?

with lightsabers for teeth?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's just a hamfisted reference to Dune

Uh now you see the spice mines of Kessel were the only planet in the galaxy that produced the eponymous spice, and highly addictive substance that heightened reaction times and

wait no that's definitely dune.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

pentyne posted:

Uh now you see the spice mines of Kessel were the only planet in the galaxy that produced the eponymous spice, and highly addictive substance that heightened reaction times and

wait no that's definitely dune.

No see Kessel is shaped like a potato and is within sublight (read: Non Hyperspace) distance of a dozen localized black holes!

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
i am reading the thrawn books again and they really aren't that good. some of the rogue squadron books are passable, though. key word there being some.

Dec 26, 2012

reagan posted:

i am reading the thrawn books again and they really aren't that good. some of the rogue squadron books are passable, though. key word there being some.

very, very few of the star wars books aspire to mediocrity. why bother really

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
gently caress the eu this is the true reading of star wars http://ammonra.org/skywalkerparadigm/

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I can't believe someone paid to think about Star Wars would miss the point of Han Solo so magnificently. Dude is supposed to start of as a selfish shitheel, his whole loving character arc hinges on it.

nah can't have that

think of the children

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

blowfish posted:

think of the children

you mean younglings

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Otisburg posted:

you mean younglings

theyre dead

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

jsoh posted:

gently caress the eu this is the true reading of star wars http://ammonra.org/skywalkerparadigm/

this is the stupidest goddamn thing I have ever read

e: and I've read the thrawn trilogy

e2: ahahah:

quote:

This doesn't even matter to the story or to the Paradigm
It may just be another good example of the subtlty of Lucas' storycraft

Kazy fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jan 13, 2015

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996

jsoh posted:

this is 1000x funnier if you read it in Brad Neely's wizard people voice

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

KiddieGrinder posted:

Honestly we need a Star Wars EU Tropes thing, there's so many repeating bullshit gimmicks, like the 'thing develops force sensitive powers' crap. It's been done on droids, people, rocks, dumb animals, probably even household appliances.

It's even been done on even dumber lifeforms than animals and household appliances:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force-sensitive_stormtrooper

Lightsabers for everyone!

Edit: hey you remember than one Ewok who had a staff made out of bits of bone tied together with string? Yeah that staff was also Force sensitive.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jan 13, 2015

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

jsoh posted:

Which CD poster wrote this?

freethought
Feb 24, 2011

jsoh posted:

That's what I love about Star Wars, everything's so dense. Including the fans.

Also loved this gem from that Medstar I wiki summary:

quote:

In the pages of this Clone Wars novel, readers will meet a surgeon that cloaks his despair with sardonic wit

So it's a Star Wars/MASH mash-up?

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I liked the medstar books

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

freethought posted:

honestly that sounds really good but i'm sure it's handled with trademark ineptitude.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Fetus Tree posted:

I liked the medstar books

I picked up the 2nd one from a truck stop so I had something to do on a ten hour or so car ride. It had star wars in it so I guess that's good? I didn't hate it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

That a hutt with a lightsaber?

Seems like she could just cut off his tail easily and really gently caress him up good.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's even been done on even dumber lifeforms than animals and household appliances:

This isn't too weird since the original concept art that lightsabers came from were just fancy beating sticks the stormtrooper cops had.

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Edit: hey you remember than one Ewok who had a staff made out of bits of bone tied together with string? Yeah that staff was also Force sensitive.

According to Star Wars roleplaying games, that junky staff could block a lightsaber.

Also if I remember right the original idea for Star Wars had lightsabers just being a regular weapon anyone could use and it was only because of special effect limitations that it became a Jedi only weapon oh and also Jedis are extinct.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Light Gun Man posted:

This isn't too weird since the original concept art that lightsabers came from were just fancy beating sticks the stormtrooper cops had.

Oh, so the laser cop batons from Futurama.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

They had cool riot shields, too, in the McQuarry art.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

freethought posted:

I think I read an exerpt from one of them in a magazine and yeah, space MASH. Super obvious about it too

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

They're still wearing armor? Not only should they not need it, but canonically it limits several force abilities such as superhuman speed, lightening, and many others. You can't deflect blaster bolts when your armor keeps you from raising your arms above your head.

Cyberball 2072 posted:

I picked up the 2nd one from a truck stop so I had something to do on a ten hour or so car ride. It had star wars in it so I guess that's good? I didn't hate it.

It could have sold (maybe not well) as a non-Star Wars book. Like if you replaced everything with real world stuff you'd still have a story about surgeons, spies, mercenaries, etc.

flick my Mr. Bean fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 13, 2015

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
To hopefully unweird this thread here is Vader with Kid Anakins voice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_H3_g9PhnM

Myrddin_Emrys fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 13, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

That a hutt with a lightsaber?

Seems like she could just cut off his tail easily and really gently caress him up good.

Laser sword fights are all about whacking the other guy's stick hard till it falls out of his hand and not about stabbing and slashing at unprotected areas early and often~

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Because of course it is.

Did you know that your light saber may or may not brick itself if you accumulate too many dark side points?

freethought
Feb 24, 2011

I think I read an exerpt from one of them in a magazine and yeah, space MASH. Super obvious about it too

Did they have a local Nemoidian boy mixing up Vod-Marts in their home-made spice still? Is their tent affectionately referred to as 'Dagobah'? Goddamn Major Fark Burris always shoving his Mando crap down everyone's throat.

poo poo, we can run with this; Star Wars - Order 22. The madcap tale of a crazy TIE Bomber pilot and the even crazier Imperial Bureaucracy he has to contend with. Turns out he was at Hoth and Endor and he had the millenium falcon totes in his sights but lets it go because he figures if the Empire goes down he gets to go home. Unfortunately Lando is all like "This guy saved our asses" and he gets drafted as a Y-Wing Pilot in the New Republic Fleet.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

To hopefully unweird this thread here is Vader with Kid Anakins voice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_H3_g9PhnM

I have no idea why there are like 10,000 of these.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

freethought posted:

Did they have a local Nemoidian boy mixing up Vod-Marts in their home-made spice still? Is their tent affectionately referred to as 'Dagobah'? Goddamn Major Fark Burris always shoving his Mando crap down everyone's throat.

poo poo, we can run with this; Star Wars - Order 22. The madcap tale of a crazy TIE Bomber pilot and the even crazier Imperial Bureaucracy he has to contend with. Turns out he was at Hoth and Endor and he had the millenium falcon totes in his sights but lets it go because he figures if the Empire goes down he gets to go home. Unfortunately Lando is all like "This guy saved our asses" and he gets drafted as a Y-Wing Pilot in the New Republic Fleet.

The only thing I really remember is that the main surgeon had to save the life of a Darth Maul looking dude who had killed one of his friends. One of the other doctors was like "Hey man, I know you're a good surgeon so you won't kill him but no one would care if your hand slips and he wakes up paralyzed" which I thought was kinda hosed up

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

The only thing I really remember is that the main surgeon had to save the life of a Darth Maul looking dude who had killed one of his friends. One of the other doctors was like "Hey man, I know you're a good surgeon so you won't kill him but no one would care if your hand slips and he wakes up paralyzed" which I thought was kinda hosed up

but enough about people born pre-:911:

fuckingtest
Mar 31, 2001

Just evolving, you know?
Right Here, Right Now.
https://thescene.com/watch/wired/angry-nerd-is-darth-disney-destroying-star-wars-expanded-universe

Boo loving who Disney is destroying my EU, Help me George Lucas!

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tj-GZJhfBmI

Kinda shows you how awkward that whole scene was

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
George Lucas is the last person one should ask for any help unless suicide is your goal. Even then he is likely leave you a cripple instead of dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lucas is now saying that he was totally going to be directing Episode 7 himself (with a release date this year) but then Disney showed up and bought the property from him before he could.

• Locked thread