Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'
Finally unlocked my first T10 tank! The only downside is it's a T110E4, So I doubt I'm going to buy it.
It only took me two years to get to this point. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Mesadoram posted:

So I kinda had an amazing game in the T-54. Highlights include clanmates stealing a rad walt from me, shenanigans against two arty and not taking damage somehow.

It was lucky you had that 47% Obj 420II to coach you through the hard parts.

Do you/others normally go to the Ruinberg centre like you did early on? I was convinced red tanks would pop out of any of 3 lanes and explode you, but for some reason no one bothered until that SP got you in the rear end, but by then the main road was mostly empty.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

Desuwa posted:

Thankfully, and oddly, given the name, GuP is almost entirely devoid of fanservice. Those four screencaps are basically the entirety of the sexualization/fanservice in GuP.

Well, I should also add that I am terrified of children and utterly despise teenagers, so add in "over the age of 20" to the criteria for me watching it I guess

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Atomizer posted:

Anyone want to be my recruit to get me the special tonk? That Aussie I recruited just sort of disappeared without playing a single game. :iiam: We can disucss compensation.

I did say that i wouldn't be able to make a start until after Christmas / New Years. I might be able to make some-sort of a start on the weekend or latter in the week. I'm going to perform some sort of vodoo blackmagic & organise a few $ into my PayPal that way i can get the account into Premium and get some sort of Prem tank simply because last time i got into the game i wasn't able to even get into a match in the Tier 1 starter tanks. :420:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Baron Porkface posted:

What does it mean for a tech tree to be forgiving, unforgiving, or "hardest"?

Forgiving tanks are ones that let you live to fight on if you make a mistake - they'll have some or all of 1)Good mobility 2)Strong hull armour 3)Guns with middle to high pen and high damage (high alpha guns terrify people into not charging you while you're reloading in a way that pea shooters never will) 4)Good gun depression 5) Strong turret armour and 6) high hp for tier. Combinations of these things mean that if you accidentally over extend, drive too far around a corner, hit a bump in the road or get into hills, or run into a higher tier opponent, you can survive long enough to realise your mistake and get back into cover, get a few damage causing shots off on the way.

Unforgiving will have some or none of these, and your typical response to making a mistake like for the above tanks will be to explode so rapidly you can't respond, as in unarmoured Japanese tanks, or get caught with your gun pointing uselessly into the sky because you have so little gun depression you can't point down at what is shooting you, as in Chinese tanks and the Soviet A-44/416/430II and 100M1/101/122-54 lines

Hardest is French tanks because they have enough speed to encourage, nay demand that you get anywhere you want to go before most other tanks, no armour to survive when you get there, and autoloading guns that make you lord of destruction for about 15 seconds, after which you are completely helpless for 45 seconds while it reloads. If you make any kind of mistake you get to ponder over it in spectator mode.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jan 13, 2015

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

rossmum posted:

If only the show had like, normal people in it instead of schoolgirls of a dubious age, I would watch the gently caress out of it. Like, it could even still be anime, just loving please stop with the creepy sexualisation of children for gently caress's sake Japan

Agggh yeah completely agreed. I feel like a decent WWII drama could make a killing, those tanks are just orgasmically detailed and the potential crossover appeal would be huge. But this is 2015 Japan, so of course it gets plastered with loli and fanservice.

e: ok maybe not so much overt fanservice? The gender, age, and clothes are still cringeworthy though

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Baron Porkface posted:

What does it mean for a tech tree to be forgiving, unforgiving, or "hardest"?

Some tanks are easier to play than others. If you drive an armoured brick like a KV-1 face first into five enemies, you might take a little damage as you back out, no big deal. If you're in a French tin can that's reloading your magazine, you're dead. Once you've played this game for a bit and learned the maps, that tin can gets a hell of a lot deadlier, since you will know where to hide and where to flank.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Ugh. I am a coinflipper from the previous page, but I realized last night that I'm the opposite of most bad players in this game in that when I enter a battle, I have a good idea what my strategy should be, where I should go, what tanks I should engage, where to aim on the red tonk.

My problem is that I just can't do it. Mechanically. I take far too long to aim, it takes me forever to get angled properly, I almost always turn the wrong way when I'm reversing, and I generally look like an idiot. Going into sniper mode confounds me, since my viewpoint in sniper mode is never where I was looking right before I changed modes. I guess I need to spend an hour in the tutorial just practicing move up, aim, fire, reverse back into cover, rinse, repeat.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Darkrenown posted:

It was lucky you had that 47% Obj 420II to coach you through the hard parts.

Do you/others normally go to the Ruinberg centre like you did early on? I was convinced red tanks would pop out of any of 3 lanes and explode you, but for some reason no one bothered until that SP got you in the rear end, but by then the main road was mostly empty.

I like to play stupidly aggressively, so I do like going there. With-out support the spot is terrible. It can be attacked by many directions with no real cover but your teammates providing fire support, but when you have teammates keeping the rows in check it denies the city and allows crossfire through the center of the map. If you noticed once my support played too aggressive and got roasted I got the hell out of there.

Also the whole time I was listening on teamspeak as my clannies laughed at the stupid poo poo happening around me. I sadly did not read the totally pro advice the 430 was giving me. What did he say?

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Hellsau posted:

Do you want to win? Probably. If you don't care about winning, you can sit on the red-line and snipe. You'll get above average damage-per-match, and will lose a lot of games simply due to the enemy team not running into your gun one at a time. Also it's not fun and should be shamed when identified.

e: I should note that CHAI members frequently do this kind of shitheaded damage farming, earning that particular moniker.

Should add: Don't do this.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Chai sniping is playing to maximize wn8 rather than to win. It's even more extreme than playing for carries by farming damage till your team collapses and then trying to carry, because damage farming losses still gets the sweet purple points. It's a shame that a good win rate standard doesn't exist so they could just minmax playing to win.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Mesadoram posted:

I sadly did not read the totally pro advice the 430 was giving me. What did he say?

Oh you know, vital information like that you should kill the T69 when you were driving about looking for it, pinging the map, recommending you kill the AT-15 etc. It taught me a lot about the game.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Darkrenown posted:

Oh you know, vital information like that you should kill the T69 when you were driving about looking for it, pinging the map, recommending you kill the AT-15 etc. It taught me a lot about the game.

I really cannot imagine how much better I could have played if I only just listened to him...

Also, I cannot carry in the 3601 hard enough. Don't get me wrong it is a great little tank, but oh boy I cannot win.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Atomizer posted:

Reading XVM is quite simple with a little practice. In this case, that screenshot tells me that literally everyone on your team needs to uninstall, kill their families to protect the rest of our population's gene pool, and then kill themselves. Sorry to break it to you that way. :smith:

It's basically what Ensign said: total games played rounded to the nearest 1k, WN8*, winrate. The values are color coded based on the scale chosen for that particular XVM config, but generally they go red-orange-yellow-green-blue-purple from bad to great. *There's a full WN8 value, typically a 3-or-4-digit number, but occasionally two or even one digit, which usually indicates a bot; then there's a 2-digit short form, which may or may not be percentile. Interested in improving your stats? For best results, I recommend getting gud.

Thanks for the tips on reading the stats. Only after posting did I realize how red my team was. We got unbelievably trounced in that match.

For getting gud, is it smarter to stick with, say one Tier V or Tier VI tank, or perhaps play only one type of tank like mediums? I tended to jump from heavy to TD to light kind of as I felt like it, but playing a map in a TD or in a medium could be very different. Right now I'm doing just one class of tank in an evening so yesterday it was all mediums.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

saintonan posted:

Going into sniper mode confounds me, since my viewpoint in sniper mode is never where I was looking right before I changed modes.

There is a simple mod to make it so that you go into the lowest level of zoom when you go into sniper mode, regardless of where it was the last time. I have it set to 1x. I would not be able to play WoT without that mod. I think its called NoScroll and its as simple as editing a file, hopefully someone can chime in on how exactly to do it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Saint Celestine posted:

Should add: Don't do this.

Weren't you in CHAI? Was it publicly encouraged to do poo poo like that, or did it just so happen that a bunch of CHAI snipers happened to join CHAI and give them the reputation?

Addendum: CHAI sniping will give you pretty decent but not insane WN8 values. You won't be getting 4k average WN8 simply due to in some matches your team carries your worthless rear end and you get nothing. Usually you'll get 2k-2.8k, and have a winrate that is well under expectations. 2400 wn8 and a 55% winrate, camping the northeast redline on Ruinberg? Yeah that's kind of expected.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Hellsau posted:

2400 wn8 and a 55% winrate, camping the northeast redline on Ruinberg?

Holy gently caress CHAI sniping is the poo poo, and so easy too?!

Where do I sign up??

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Mesadoram posted:

I really cannot imagine how much better I could have played if I only just listened to him...

Also, I cannot carry in the 3601 hard enough. Don't get me wrong it is a great little tank, but oh boy I cannot win.

Yep, even shooting gold 100% I'm at 42% out of 112 battles. Thankfully I just got enough XP for the Tiger, unfortunately I can't afford it.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Is there a site that offers arty strategies?
For example, best placement options for maps with lots of structures or obstacles.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The A45, which was the tier 7 heavy on the pre-alpha British tree before they split the Churchill into the I and VII, has finally reached the surface as a tier 7 premium

quote:

Description:

Developed by 1944 by the English Electric company as a part of the new program to create a new infantry support tank to replace the A43 Black Prince. The tank was never accepted in service due to the change in the concept of tank forces, but it served as a basis in the creation of post-war heavy tanks.

Hitpoints: 1500
Engine: 800 hp
Weight: 55,883 tons
Power-to-weight: 14,32 hp/t
Maximum speed: 31/16 km/h
Hull traverse: 28 deg/s
Terrain resistance: 1,151/1,342/2,014
Turret traverse: 37,5 deg/s
Viewrange: 380
Radio range: 594,4

Hull armor: 76,2/50,8/?
Turret armor: 152,4/88,9/?

Elite gun: 17pdr
Damage: 150
Penetration: 171
ROF: 14,551
DPM: 2182,7
Reload: 4,123
Accuracy: 0,374
Aimtime: 2,21s
Depression: -8

For those not familiar, picture a Caernarvon a gun and a tier down and you'll have the gist of it

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Hellsau posted:

Weren't you in CHAI? Was it publicly encouraged to do poo poo like that, or did it just so happen that a bunch of CHAI snipers happened to join CHAI and give them the reputation?

Addendum: CHAI sniping will give you pretty decent but not insane WN8 values. You won't be getting 4k average WN8 simply due to in some matches your team carries your worthless rear end and you get nothing. Usually you'll get 2k-2.8k, and have a winrate that is well under expectations. 2400 wn8 and a 55% winrate, camping the northeast redline on Ruinberg? Yeah that's kind of expected.

I was in CHAI because Carbon sent me an invite on the forums, and I wasn't even playing at the time. Once I started playing, I left.

I dont know if it was publicly encouraged, but the majority of people in CHAI suck at the game bar red-line sniping.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

saintonan posted:

Ugh. I am a coinflipper from the previous page, but I realized last night that I'm the opposite of most bad players in this game in that when I enter a battle, I have a good idea what my strategy should be, where I should go, what tanks I should engage, where to aim on the red tonk.

My problem is that I just can't do it. Mechanically. I take far too long to aim, it takes me forever to get angled properly, I almost always turn the wrong way when I'm reversing, and I generally look like an idiot. Going into sniper mode confounds me, since my viewpoint in sniper mode is never where I was looking right before I changed modes. I guess I need to spend an hour in the tutorial just practicing move up, aim, fire, reverse back into cover, rinse, repeat.

I know your pain, this is me in many battles. Or I'll get to a Good Spot and then get nervous that I'm not helping my team if I don't see red tanks/don't have a shot within 30 seconds, so then I'll get creative and then dead shortly afterwards.

As for the reversing wrong turns, I recommend changing your steering model. I can't remember the exact name of the option, it's in one of the normal menus, not even a mod, and switching it means that you will always turn in the same direction regardless of whether you're reversing. Takes some getting used to but it's not too bad, and besides generally simplifying things it cuts way down on that whole turning-hull-and-turret-different-directions issue which always happens at the worst moments. Helps to have a minimap mod with a line indicating your tank and turret facing (which you should probably have anyway).

rockopete fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jan 13, 2015

Rothmog
Jul 26, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

The A45, which was the tier 7 heavy on the pre-alpha British tree before they split the Churchill into the I and VII, has finally reached the surface as a tier 7 premium

For those not familiar, picture a Caernarvon a gun and a tier down and you'll have the gist of it

When is this coming out?

Also anyone have any info if the Fury will return or if Tiger premium will be released to match up with the Fury movie release on DVD/Blu-ray?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

subhelios posted:

Finally unlocked my first T10 tank! The only downside is it's a T110E4, So I doubt I'm going to buy it.
It only took me two years to get to this point. :smith:

The E4 is not a bad tier10 at all. 750 alpha, reasonable armour and a turret is not a bad combination.
I prefer it to my E3 and E5, but that has probably more to do with playstyle. I like tanks that popout, wreck someone and then get back in cover and the E4 is pretty good for that.
Probably the same reason why I like the T57 Heavy and the AMX 50 100.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Cardiac posted:

The E4 is not a bad tier10 at all. 750 alpha, reasonable armour and a turret is not a bad combination.
I prefer it to my E3 and E5, but that has probably more to do with playstyle. I like tanks that popout, wreck someone and then get back in cover and the E4 is pretty good for that.

I enjoy my E4 also, just got to keep reminding yourself that you are not a heavy. It's a great mid-range tank, it's accuracy is not the best but its turret gives it good versatility for closer range fights.

Find some teammates meat shields and roll behind them (preferable some heavies). Your ability to punish and retreat to safety is made possible by the turret. Just remember that your armor 90% of the time will not do a thing. It's primary purpose is to put pretty patterns on and hope the enemy does not ruin the paint. I am still totally not salty they nerfed the turret armor way back when.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

Cardiac posted:

Mesadoram posted:

I enjoy my E4 also, just got to keep reminding yourself that you are not a heavy. It's a great mid-range tank, it's accuracy is not the best but its turret gives it good versatility for closer range fights.

Find some teammates meat shields and roll behind them (preferable some heavies). Your ability to punish and retreat to safety is made possible by the turret. Just remember that your armor 90% of the time will not do a thing. It's primary purpose is to put pretty patterns on and hope the enemy does not ruin the paint. I am still totally not salty they nerfed the turret armor way back when.

That could work for me, sometime in the far future where I actually have the spare cash for it :v: Thanks guys!

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

unlimited shrimp posted:

For example, best placement options for maps with lots of structures or obstacles.

Sell your arty.
Play something that isn't poo poo.

There, best arty advice you'll ever get!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

unlimited shrimp posted:

FTR posted some guy's arty guide(s) recently, maybe check that? No idea how useful it is, didn't read it.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Rothmog posted:

When is this coming out?

It just hit supertest, so I'd say no earlier than 9.7, though I guess 9.6 is possible since they don't let us plebs test new premiums on the test server anymore, they don't want us to know if they're good or bad before dropping the money for them on live.

No idea about the Fury and Tiger

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 13, 2015

Rothmog
Jul 26, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

It just hit supertest, so I'd say no earlier than 9.7, though I guess 9.6 is possible since they don't let us plebs test new premiums on the test server anymore, they don't want us to know if they're good or bad before dropping the money for them on live.

No idea about the Fury and Tiger

I have the T-34-3 and the 112....doesn't matter if it is bad, I will buy it.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

unlimited shrimp posted:

Tazilon had a very nice set of maps in his ProScout guide that included likely arty locations (from the perspective of where to expect arty to be). That guide may be harder to find now that he ragequit.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Darkrenown posted:

FTR posted some guy's arty guide(s) recently, maybe check that? No idea how useful it is, didn't read it.

If ftr ever posts a useful arty guide the rapture will come before anyone gets to read it.
Valle is not being facetious, his post is the only good advice for artillery

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rossmum posted:

If only the show had like, normal people in it instead of schoolgirls of a dubious age, I would watch the gently caress out of it. Like, it could even still be anime, just loving please stop with the creepy sexualisation of children for gently caress's sake Japan

The only way that show would fly with normal people would be if it was all dark and gritty and gory and probably still would have pale white anime waifus but they would be psychic or some poo poo.

It's either pedophile jailbait or goreporn in anime*.

Goku and Kenshiro don't count as anime since they are world heritage.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Welp, seven losses in a row in my 62A last night, followed by four losses in my 140 before the first win. RIP my Russian medium winrates, really should have had someone play my account for a 907.

rockopete posted:

Agggh yeah completely agreed. I feel like a decent WWII drama could make a killing, those tanks are just orgasmically detailed and the potential crossover appeal would be huge. But this is 2015 Japan, so of course it gets plastered with loli and fanservice.

e: ok maybe not so much overt fanservice? The gender, age, and clothes are still cringeworthy though

That image that was posted is basically the extent of the "fanservice" in the series proper. I'd say there was none or almost none in general, and definitely none that was "overt". Loli has to do with sexualization, generally of even younger girls, and it is disgusting but that's definitely not this series. They didn't all have to be girls but the ages are fine, given that it's a high school sports anime.

I mean I get all the complaints about the anime industry as a whole. I drop at least two or three shows a season, and don't even bother picking up a lot of shows, based on those exact reasons. This show is not it and for what it's worth Jingle's is of the same opinion. I watched the first episode of this show because it had tanks and an unexpected premise but I expected it to be trash that I'd drop instantly.

It's basically a sports anime and it's great.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I hate my team so much for this:

Well, let's see how the rest of them did...

:downsbravo:

Replay for anyone who wants it.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 13, 2015

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

MoraleHazard posted:

For getting gud, is it smarter to stick with, say one Tier V or Tier VI tank, or perhaps play only one type of tank like mediums? I tended to jump from heavy to TD to light kind of as I felt like it, but playing a map in a TD or in a medium could be very different. Right now I'm doing just one class of tank in an evening so yesterday it was all mediums.

I've found I play best if I stick to a single tank for a bit - it takes a little while to get back the intuitive feeling of how to drive it and how long your reloads are and the like. Of course, if you get sniped by a TD in the 2nd minute of a 14:30 match, that's not going to happen, but at least try to stick to a small selection.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I've got my first SPG, what are the most important mods for it?

also, is there a faster way to scroll the map in arty mode?

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 13, 2015

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Baron Porkface posted:

Rammer, GLD and food.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

MoraleHazard posted:

Thanks for the tips on reading the stats. Only after posting did I realize how red my team was. We got unbelievably trounced in that match.

I can give you two perspectives. I have a friend that has gone down a bunch of branches; whereas I got my first Tier 10 super fast, but he's only relatively recently gotten his. However, he's gone down a bunch of branches in a bunch of different tech trees, so he has quite a breadth of experience in those vehicles. If I were to hand him a random vehicle and say "make it work" he could probably make it work. Maybe not greatly, but well enough that you can trust that he's got your back.

On the other hand, I've specialized. I've gotten really loving good with one specific tank, and pretty good with a small group of tanks. While I've started to branch out now, there are tanks that I just cannot perform well in and others I do very well in, if not as well as my specialized area. I got good fast, but I'm not so confidant if I'm not in the tanks I've spent the most time in, and thus play weaker than my stats would show if I'm not in the tanks I'm most familiar with.

For what it's worth, I am across the board better than my friend is, but only in my specialized subset. Given enough time I do think my friend is going to end up better than me simply because he'll know exactly what the enemy can and can't do with their tanks, and I lack that knowledge (at least until I catch up with his more general tank experience). I got good fast, and in a 1v1 against him I will generally win, but he has more hands on experience with tanks from all nations/classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Baron Porkface posted:

also, is there a faster way to scroll the map in arty mode?

hold ctrl (unless I mean shift) and right click on the minimap to jump to that section.