Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Raluek posted:

iirc its like 170 or so for non-students

e: yea, 175 monthly or 117/mo if you pay the whole year up front. or 95 for students.

they also run a holiday special, where it's typically $995-$1095 a year for an individual membership

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

crusader_complex posted:

didnt auto mechanics used to share rent on garages

yeah, and it worked because they were people with jobs who were exchanging money with one another

it's as if the system actually did work this whole time!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
$120/mo is a bargain. the problem is that all the interesting machines are reserved for like a billion years after 5pm and on weekends.

if i was a guy who didn't have to work 9-5 I'd be all over that poo poo.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i would expect nothing less from noisebridge people

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

rotor posted:

$120/mo is a bargain. the problem is that all the interesting machines are reserved for like a billion years after 5pm and on weekends.

if i was a guy who didn't have to work 9-5 I'd be all over that poo poo.

i got a promotional membership for 3 months, ive been trying to figure out how best to maximize my use of it without paying tons of money for classes since i am a broke-rear end college kid. good idea about timing; i can take advantage of poo poo before or between classes and not get punked by the jobhavers.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Raluek posted:

i got a promotional membership for 3 months, ive been trying to figure out how best to maximize my use of it without paying tons of money for classes since i am a broke-rear end college kid. good idea about timing; i can take advantage of poo poo before or between classes and not get punked by the jobhavers.

take the loving classes, jesus christ, those are the valuable things

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

"Education?!? gently caress no, I've got poo poo to do."

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Raluek posted:

take meth and 'sleep' on top of the elevator; when all those dirty oppressive jobhavers leave, youll be able to finally jerk off on a robot like youve always ~dreamed~

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
yeah a few of my students teach some of the classes at the techshop and i can confirm they're very smart. plus they learn from me, so it's almost like you're learning directly from forums poster sagebrush

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

also a bunch of free poo poo

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

bitcoin bastard posted:

take meth and 'sleep' on top of the elevator; when all those dirty oppressive jobhavers leave, youll be able to finally jerk off on a robot like youve always ~dreamed~

i really picked a great time to jump back into this thread huh

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

yeah i kinda didnt read the last few pages

i stand behind my jerk off on a robot statement

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

quote:

Some overview figures of noisebridge's financials:
* Bank balance: ~$22,800 in our checking of which ~10k is noisetor
* Approximately ~$2,300 in our savings account (no access so estimate)
* Reccurring paypal: ~$1,800 (PayPal is being obtuse so estimate only)
* Monthly outgoings: ~$4,800 rent, water, PGE, insurance, garbage, net

i am not good with math but this seems to suggest noisebridge will be broke in 5 months

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

-$20,000 methhead just found the bank numbers but im sure hes making it somehow

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

rotor posted:

Sagebrush posted:

yeah a few of my students teach some of the classes at the techshop and i can confirm they're very smart. plus they learn from me, so it's almost like you're learning directly from forums poster sagebrush

well which one of you is right, you can't both be

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

i am not good with math but this seems to suggest noisebridge will be broke in 5 months

how the gently caress does running a tor node make them raise $10k?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

bitcoin bastard posted:

-$20,000 methhead just found the bank numbers but im sure hes making it somehow

do-meth-ocracy

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

OSI bean dip posted:

Donations from assholes

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

rotor posted:

you can take the classes as a non-member, they arent even that much cheaper as a member.

Sagebrush posted:

its not the sf one

maybe theyll have to get with the dude selling dumpster food and lifted food to make ends meet

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
my neighbor is an impoverished student and he's done some 'instructables' for tech shop, i think they discount his classes or something. not sure if this is some special deal, guess ill ask!

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

rotor posted:

"Education?!? gently caress no, I've got poo poo to do."

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

OSI bean dip posted:

they run four nodes and have received $1082 in donations for this in the last 30 days

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

~150 days of operating capital isn't a bad situation to be in, assuming some sort of income

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
why would you assume that?

by the looks of it a significant portion of their "income" is donations for running tor

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

nah they'll probably re-institute members fees and/or a members only policy in a couple months. the membership rules change every few months. it's a back and forth between the anarchists, utopianists, and homeless people who want membership to be free and the space open to almost anyone, the last reasonable person who looked at the financials and realized they're running out of money and poo poo is getting stolen, and the idea people who are mostly interested in imposing a new and wacky idea and then using it to gerrymander the next board election

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i just saw the cookie cutter startup. noisebridge is still dumb but that's a cool idea (as long as the 3d printed cookie cutter doesn't crumble after one use like most 3d printed poo poo)

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i should have asked for a techshop class for xmas. poo poo

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

3d printing cookie cutters is literally the dumbest poo poo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

techshop is like 250 a month for the general public or 90 if you're a student iirc.

this is the STUPIDEST MOTHERFUCKING THING I HAVE EVER HEARD and I am done looking at hackerspaces forever and am just going to build my own shop a trailer. Jesus Christ.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

this is the STUPIDEST MOTHERFUCKING THING I HAVE EVER HEARD and I am done looking at hackerspaces forever and am just going to build my own shop a trailer. Jesus Christ.

they target idiots trying to make their kickstarter prototypes for huge bucks so it'll all be worth it

you don't have to be a member to take a class, right?

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

As a Millennial I posted:

they target idiots trying to make their kickstarter prototypes for huge bucks so it'll all be worth it

you don't have to be a member to take a class, right?

not at the space in my city, $20 for about an hour or two on how to run laser cutters and 3d printing at the like

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

eh just use your free sportsing and culture vouchers you get from work

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i should really go see if our hackerspace is terrible or not. my shithole apartment has no room to work on anything and i can't afford any good tools right now

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Jonny 290 posted:

Well as demonstrated in this thread it's kind of a choice between paying for access or using a soldering iron that someone poo poo on. Tragedy of the commons.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
those prices should be reversed. pay double if you're some college fucko coming in to use somebody else's gear when your daddys already paying 100k for your school labs. its the motherfuckers that can't go to college that need these things

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

lol, as if techshop gives a poo poo about helping anybody. they're not a hackerspace, they're a business

hackpittsburgh has just a $30/month membership fee + 3 hours of volunteer work. that seems reasonable

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

no doubt, it's in part a class issue, making GBS threads on "others." much like it's easy enough to get "vanity" licenses it can be well worth it to get a "vanity" student card + print a bs itinerary and reap whatever other discounts you can get elsewhere.

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 13, 2015

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Cotton posted:

3d printing cookie cutters is literally the dumbest poo poo

its a pretty neat idea actually, especially if they got some super simple interface for people to generate them (since its just a 2d shape extruded out an inch or two, right?)

As a Millennial I posted:

hackpittsburgh has just a $30/month membership fee + 3 hours of volunteer work. that seems reasonable

the local one is planning $30 a month or $100 for 24/7 access to the main hackerspace, and currently is doing $10 + material cost if you just want to 3d print stuff in the front area for the day. You can get a discount if you teach classes (at least once a month or something) and you can just straight up rent square footage in the building if you want to set up shop. Also the regulars aren't scary homeless people so thats cool.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 13, 2015

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

A Yolo Wizard posted:

its a pretty neat idea actually, especially if they got some super simple interface for people to generate them (since its just a 2d shape extruded out an inch or two, right?)

it's an alright interface http://www.cookiecaster.com/

really what's not to like about a custom cookie cutter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

surprisingly few dicks in the gallery

• Locked thread